Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2 Trailer

IGN's Half-Life 2 Media Page now offers a link to a Half-Life 2 teaser (the link was broken for a bit after being posted, but seems to work properly now). The 11.9 MB movie is in QuickTime format. There are also Half-Life 2 Impressions on GameSpot with a detailed rundown on what they saw, concluding with: "Frankly, we were blown away by what we saw of Half-Life 2 here, and though this was a rolling demo (albeit of real-time gameplay), Valve proceeded to demonstrate the bug bait level in action, which looked just as good as in the rolling demo. Based on the 25-minute Half-Life 2 demo, we can say with reasonable certainty that this is definitely a game worth looking forward to."

View
348 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

68. No subject May 15, 2003, 00:24 =-Vic3k-=

f*ck doom3, there is nothing good about it but engine for teh future kick ass games.

HALF-LIFE2! man, that looks so freaking sweet. lets hope i get a job by then or i will have to download it

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

67. Re: Regardless... May 15, 2003, 00:24 Elvis

I was wondering the same thing. CS still has a huge multiplayer fanbase, but it appears they've missed their window of opportunity for healthy sales, or are rapidly approaching that point.

66. Re: Curious May 15, 2003, 00:18 Ray Marden

There is not really a major reason, at least none other than making sure you have a copy available. Needless to say, this greatly benefits the hyperactive fanboys that fear ph33r going even one day without the title.

Personally, I pre-order online (a) because I am lazy and (b) for extra perks. With regards to (a), whatever shipping cost - presuming that I am not ordering through one of the many, commong promotions offering free shipping - is covered by the lack of sales tax, I end up getting the title the same (or earlier) day as its street date, and the title is physically delivered to my address rather than my having to go pick it up.

As for (b), there are often special promotions for pre-ordering and I have special agreements with the retailers.

Oh heck, it is just 'cuz.

Not even knowing how old my DNF pre-order is :|,
Ray

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
May 24th, 2000: The day I learned that Looking Glass was to be no more.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
Currently playing: Enclave, Half-Life (still the best), Rygar, and Raven Shield.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

65. Re: No subject May 15, 2003, 00:14 Santiago

First of all, THIS GAME WAS CLEARLY MADE IN AREA 51. See TimothyB's description above for details. We're talking Alien Technology here people! Wise up, for the end is nigh!

Second of all for a game buried in so much secrecy for so long, we're getting an awful lot of videos "under the table" now, eh? Obviously it's because it finally public, but it's pretty cool nonetheless.

Finally, TimothyB, you're the man (or perhaps...alien? do-do-do do-do-do). Thanks for the link.

-----------------------------------------------------
http://nicebreakers.gotdns.com
Cry 'havoc', and let slip the dogs o' war!
This comment was edited on May 15, 00:16.

"Oh that's blue. He's an old navy vet that hangs around my store a lot. But don't worry about it, he's legit."

64. Re: Regardless... May 15, 2003, 00:10 DrEvil

I hope all things CS die with the release of HL2, but I know I couldn't be so lucky. I'm sure a CS remake is in the Source Engines future.

Edit: Creston, some places offer a decent savings when pre-ordering so far in advance. It doesn't seem to be the case with HL2 at least with Rays links, so yea theres no point.

This comment was edited on May 15, 00:12.

63. No subject May 15, 2003, 00:09 TimothyB

Holy... this game can't be real, but it is. I just watched the 6 quicktime movies ranging from 30-50megs that someone hosted in a zip file.

The first one shows some physics test, so they weren't real levels. Simply amazing. First that was a wooden plateform over water. Gorden fires at one of it's supports and it splits where it was hit and then as it tips over and falls into the water, barrels on top slide or roll off. The barrels start sinking while the wood floats realisticly.

Then there was a blockaid made up by a wooden frame with boards in the center. Each shot split at where it was hit and it effected the whole structure. Then it completely collapses leaveing part of the frame sticking up like a triangle. One shot took off a piece near the bottom and it fell.

Then there seems to be another gun similar to the gravity gun, but more like star trek's tractor beam. It grabbed a mattress and dragged it into the air fast over the water and it bent and flexed just like a real mattres and when the player stopped it in the air it showed inertia. It would also form around anything it was dropped on. Then a pot shattered and flew back and a watermelon split apart by gunshots. The tractor gun picked up a body by the foot swung it around like a rag doll.

The other videos were equally amazing.

Here's the link: (Note it took me 20 right click and saves before it actually paused for 10 seconds "WITHOUT" giving me a failed message and THEN finally a save screen came up and I was dling it at 150k a sec) File size is 211megs

ftp://ftp.vein.hu/pub/windows/games/e3/e3_hl2movies.zip

This comment was edited on May 15, 00:11.

62. Curious May 15, 2003, 00:08 Creston

Can someone explain to me just what exactly the point is of pre-ordering 4 to 6 months in advance? I can see pre-ordering say a week or two or so before the release date, so you'll know the store has a copy and you don't go over there for nothing (though even in frigging TULSA most games have an abundance of copies available), but why pre-order six months in advance?

I hardly ever pre-order anyways, the only game I did so for was NWN, because I figured it was going to fly off the shelves (it did).
One other time the nerd at EB/Gamestop told me that he couldn't sell me a copy of SoF2 unless I had pre-ordered. So I shrugged, said BestBuy would be happy to accept my money, and walked off. Suddenly he really quickly found a copy he could sell me.

I just don't really see the point?

Creston

Edit : I think most games will have a damn hard time going up against Half Life 2, if merely by virtue of its name (although Doom3 probably has as much brand recognition as Half Life does). Which is why it is so baffling to me that ever since Valve announced a September 30th release date, EVERYONE has been clamoring to make sure their game gets released around that date.

I guess publishers really are as fucking stupid as the "Edit Message" button.

Creston

This comment was edited on May 15, 00:10.

61. Regardless... May 15, 2003, 00:07 Ray Marden

...of its final quality, what does this do for Condition Zero? I mean, CZ is projected to ship on the first of September and HL2 is stated as shipping at the end of September.

From the looks of it, Half-Life 2 is going to be one hell of a game. It seems like any/all other games will have a hard time going up against it, much less a Half-Life-ish (original) game.

Edit: EBG is projecting November as the ship date for CZ. In conjunction with the point listed above, will it actually ship after Half-Life 2?

Worshipping the almighty crowbar,
Ray

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently playing: Enclave, Half-Life (still the best), Rygar, and Raven Shield.
This comment was edited on May 15, 01:36.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

60. Re: No subject May 15, 2003, 00:04 Ray Marden

Pre-order, you say?

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/products/product.asp?pf_id=235059

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=645118

Providing linkage,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

59. Re: No subject May 15, 2003, 00:01 Creston

You know, I never actually thought of that. That's a big relief, since the lighting was really annoying. Thanks rock climber

Creston

58. Re: No subject May 14, 2003, 23:58 MindTrigger

Creston,

The weird lighting is due to the fact that this video is from a camera recording a monitor. You can tell it has trouble with focus and contrast in some shots.

This comment was edited on May 15, 13:21.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

57. Re: No subject May 14, 2003, 23:52 MindTrigger

There is currently no game I want more than Half Life 2. Everything else can just wait. To think that we will be happily playing this game in October just blows me away.

Valve, all I can say is... WOW. When can I preorder?

I can't believe all these videos. Incredible.

Add that Valve has made an engine DESIGNED for mods and map makers and you have one of the first games to be worth the money in like 5 years.

This comment was edited on May 15, 13:21.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

56. Download this :) ! May 14, 2003, 23:40 DrafT72

EDIT : Nevermind... see post above

This comment was edited on May 14, 23:42.

55. link to all 9 vids zipped May 14, 2003, 23:36 Elvis

who knows how long it'll last. i was averaging 100k/sec.

http://www.shacknews.com/ja.zz?id=7513931 (NOT a direct link to the file)

54. Re: No subject May 14, 2003, 23:34 DrEvil

to skip the dumbass previews use this link and change the number like it says in the thread I originally linked to.

mms://a576.m.akastream.net/7/576/5372/1/gamespot.download.akamai.com/5372/netshow/gslive/300k/e32k3-halflife2_pce32003_8dn.asf

This should open it in WMP rather than a tiny ad ridden window in IE. Got that from shacknews also.

53. Re: No subject May 14, 2003, 23:31 Santiago

The videos are awesome!

But more importantly, I'm just glad the crates are back!

What would we do without them?

http://nicebreakers.gotdns.com
Cry 'havoc', and let slip the dogs o' war!

"Oh that's blue. He's an old navy vet that hangs around my store a lot. But don't worry about it, he's legit."

52. Re: No subject May 14, 2003, 23:22 Creston

Thanks for that link DrEvil. Very impressive videos.

Couple of remarks about the videos :

- Barney, Barney, Barney!
- That one soldier who gets shot off a crane, and falls to the ground where he splatters is some VERY impressive ragdoll physics. UT eat your heart out.
- Maybe it's just me, or it's a side effect of the videos, but I found a lot of the scenes in the game dramatically overlit (overlighted?). I couldn't see that first strider until after it had already blown up that overhanging building. Still, awesome looking creatures. I hope that the level of light is adjustable.
- Those ants are murder..
- scripting or AI? I'm tempted to say very clever scripting in a lot of parts, but the AI is definitely top notch.

Creston

This comment was edited on May 14, 23:38.

51. Re: No subject May 14, 2003, 23:11 Chance

Xombie: "It would be pretty silly to see Gordy just picking up chests and radiators and tossing them 50ft, though."

I wasn't really refering to things beyond human strength Xombie. The heavy stuff was fun to watch too, but it would have been cool to see him bean some guy with a hand thrown can of coke Now that would have been interactive...

*edit* And as Ray mentioned below, a few more good whacks with the crowbar would have been nice too. Like the weapon changes it's almost too fast. Btw it still looks GOOD, don't get me wrong there.

This comment was edited on May 14, 23:13.

50. Re: No subject May 14, 2003, 23:02 DrEvil

"How to view all 9 videos:"

http://www.shacknews.com/ja.zz?id=7513358

All I can say is wow.

49. Re: No subject May 14, 2003, 22:58 Ray Marden

Well, I would not use the "d*psh*t" description, but the arguments seem quite self-serving and the author seems to ignore other, well, obvious factors. That is not to say that these are not necessarily "problems," but they are hardly Half-Life 2 specific. Heck, even a graphically rich game such as Doom 3 has many of these faults...

Thinking four months is too long :(,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

348 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo