Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2 Trailer

IGN's Half-Life 2 Media Page now offers a link to a Half-Life 2 teaser (the link was broken for a bit after being posted, but seems to work properly now). The 11.9 MB movie is in QuickTime format. There are also Half-Life 2 Impressions on GameSpot with a detailed rundown on what they saw, concluding with: "Frankly, we were blown away by what we saw of Half-Life 2 here, and though this was a rolling demo (albeit of real-time gameplay), Valve proceeded to demonstrate the bug bait level in action, which looked just as good as in the rolling demo. Based on the 25-minute Half-Life 2 demo, we can say with reasonable certainty that this is definitely a game worth looking forward to."

View
348 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

108. Re: gee May 15, 2003, 11:53 Bronco

so, if i spend 50 bucks on a game, and it sucks, o well for me?

Maybe you should take the time to educate yourself about a game before you buy it.

I do that and I can't remember the last dud I bought.

Some that were ok got by my radar but no busts at all. I just read these boards for a week or so after release and I avoid the crap.

a customer is guaranteed some sort of satisfaction no?

In a perfect world, yes. If I buy something other than a game and I can't return it then I never do business with those people again.

The problem with your argument in my opinion is that it is too easy to just justify the theft. How do you decide which games to buy, which to just steal?

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org
I woke up today and wished for tomorrow
I don't want to be like anyone else
I don't want even be myself

-TPFKAS2S
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

107. Re: OH MAH GAWD!! May 15, 2003, 11:51 Freaky

You are stealing, plain and simple.
Stealing is not the same as making an illegitimate copy of something. Don't try equating copyright infringement with shoplifting or stealing cars or breaking into homes and taking personal possessions. That's like equating verbal abuse with murder -- they're not the same, no matter how many times you say it is.

106. Re: gee May 15, 2003, 11:49 Bronco

Bronco, sorry to hear you have the same type of things going on in your life. It's been getting better for me and mine lately. Hope it does for you too. Kind of makes you nostalgic for the days when the cost of that new game was all you had to worry about, doesn't it?

Thanks Chance.

Being a parent was already hard enough before these challenges arrived. We are making our way though.

-TPFKAS2S

-TPFKAS2S

105. Re: gee May 15, 2003, 11:15 j4ck50n

<snip>
games i play a lot or online i purchase. < no *might* there

by d/l'ing a game, playing first level or two then deleting it? < no *probably* there either
<end snip>

seems you are implying i am distributing or whooping it up at devs expense. hardly. so, if i spend 50 bucks on a game, and it sucks, o well for me? i don't think so. hardly anything else is sold this way, a customer is guaranteed some sort of satisfaction no? try before you buy? not a matter of expense, though for some it is. people with limited entertainment budgets in particular. you are attaching way to much weight to this, and this ties into my main argument.

This comment was edited on May 15, 11:17.

104. Re: gee May 15, 2003, 10:25 Chance

j4ck50n, I'm sure that the people whos IP you have stolen are just thrilled by the possibility that you *might* even deign to pay for it. Maybe. If you play it enough. And that you'll *probably* just throw it away if you don't play / pay for it. In my book, you make your judgement, take your chances and don't buy anything you can't afford. Oh, and don't worry, I'm not a Christian (well, not born again anyway), I'm just "honest". Is that a product of "Microsoft marketing"? Must be the best product they ever turned out...

Bronco, sorry to hear you have the same type of things going on in your life. It's been getting better for me and mine lately. Hope it does for you too. Kind of makes you nostalgic for the days when the cost of that new game was all you had to worry about, doesn't it?

This comment was edited on May 15, 10:56.

103. Re: gee May 15, 2003, 10:00 j4ck50n

hmm, you replied to my post but i never said:

<snip>
'but its $50 and its copy protected that's so much money I just have to download it'
<end snip>

i don't have an issue with paying for games, i do have an issue with paying for crap games. i do have an issue paying for something that i will lose interest in after first level or two. am i hurting development, by d/l'ing a game, playing first level or two then deleting it? i am certainly helping if i d/l a game, play first level or two or even finish it and then buy it for legal online key, or manuals, whatever. don't talk to me about demos...

copy protection, i could care less. if it can be written, it can be copied for now at least. period. y'know the saying, "release at 12:00, crack at 12:15". Vice City was posted on the 9th...

games i play a lot or online i purchase. this is not my argument. my ire is aimed at all the preachy, patting-them-selves on the back, holier-than-thou ethics, legal software zealots here. you reek of microsoft marketing. its easy to point down from so high up and declare "my shit don't stink".

lot of whining on these boards: idiotic assumptions and conclusions drawn on screenshots, a life or death urgency attached to gaming, games and development and general dim witted observations.

the "christian" thing is just begging for flame, however i will refrain. keep your religious views to yourself. morals, ethics, scruples, compassion, etc. can be had by aetheists, pagans and heretics too...sheesh.

102. Re: OH MAH GAWD!! May 15, 2003, 09:42 Bronco

On a related note, does anyone believe the game will actually run on a TNT-class card as Valve has stated?

If you don't mind graphics that look like they were done by my 3 YO son with M$ Paint.

I feel obligated to make the same piracy post I always do:

People that pirate should not waste their time with excuses such as I'm getting back at The Man.

You are stealing, plain and simple.
Don't whitewash it. Don't explain it away.
Just admit it and move on.

I would imagine that the posters with the more mature viewpoint on this matter are older with families and loved ones to support in some fashion.

Oh and Chance, I'd almost think you and I are twins. Sad similarities in our lives right now.

-TPFKAS2S

-TPFKAS2S

101. Re: OH MAH GAWD!! May 15, 2003, 09:01 Elvis

in a link in this thread somewhere, there's a bunch of HL2 shots, and one of a new Dell "Gaming" system, the ones in the blue cases. On the Dell site, these are only for sale with ATI 9800s (128 & 256)...certainly not proof positive.
So P4 3 gig with the latest video card from either NVIDIA or ATI!

On a related note, does anyone believe the game will actually run on a TNT-class card as Valve has stated?

100. Re: gee May 15, 2003, 08:51 Ray Marden

Anvil, is this just tacked onto my post or are you actually replying to my post? I am an agnostic that leans towards atheism, but I still maintain my viewpoint/stance on theft in general. I have stolen before, but when I was younger - I have grown and matured as a person and no longer view it as acceptable conduct (not that I ever did, but I have learned to subdue to my own greed/emotions.)

One of the unwashed, heathen masses :o,
Ray

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
May 24th, 2000: The day I learned that Looking Glass was to be no more.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
Currently playing: Enclave, Half-Life (still the best), Rygar, and Raven Shield.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

99. Re: OH MAH GAWD!! May 15, 2003, 08:46 Learning

Anybody know how much computer you'll need to get the game to run and look like that?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern weather or not they are genuine"-Abraham Lincoln

98. Re: gee May 15, 2003, 08:46 Anvil

I don't have a whole lot of trouble with the argument 'everyone steals to some extent so don't get uppity about piracy' which you seem to be advocating. I disagree with it, but its a fair enough point of view.

I have trouble with the 'but its $50 and its copy protected that's so much money I just have to download it'.

that sentence should of course actually finish 'download it to my $2000 computer on my $50/month broadband connection'.

As far as piracy/theft goes, No I have no stolen software or content on my PC and yes when I found £80 in the street I handed it in to the local Police - if I'd lost wages in the street I'd hope, but not expect, others to do the same.

A lot of it comes down to your background/world view. The above behaviour is second nature to Christians (and probably other religions as well) but seems 'naive and preachy' to atheist/agnostic types.

Anvil

Anvil - from the land of warm beer and mad cattle.

97. Re: Dammit. May 15, 2003, 08:40 Fungu

It was a generic phrasing more than anything. Though I would point you in the direction of Gamecube CDs. ;p

96. Re: gee May 15, 2003, 08:22 Ray Marden

I never bit the whole MP3 piracy bug. The only MP3s that I have on my system are ones installed by programs and/or Windows.

I fail to see your second point as well. While shopping three weeks ago, I found a $100 bill that somebody had dropped. Although there was the temptation to keep it for myself, I imagined how frustrated I would feel if I had lost the money from my wallet. I ended up taking it to the counter, hoping that the person would track his/her steps back to the store.

Feeling sorry for the warez mUnk33z,
Ray

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
May 24th, 2000: The day I learned that Looking Glass was to be no more.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
Currently playing: Enclave, Half-Life (still the best), Rygar, and Raven Shield.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

95. Re: Dammit. May 15, 2003, 08:17 DrEvil

No such thing as a 100% effective copy-protection. cd keys might make it difficult to play online, but that doesn't keep people from enjoying the single player and bot features(if it has any) with a crack. My guess is most the pirates aren't big online players anyways.

94. Re: Dammit. May 15, 2003, 08:11 Fungu

Well I for one hope that they don't come up with a 100% effective copy-protection scheme. I copy all games I buy onto a CD-R and then re-seal the originals. If they did that then I and probably many others would be screwed. They do have a perfect protection though.

CD-Keys.

It's worked well in the first game, I'm sure it will in future games from Valve. Sure, there are people who write CD-Key stealers, but that isn't a fault of the protection, it's a fault of genetics.

In any case, as soon as I can spare $50, it's going towards a Half-Life 2 pre-order.

Hoping that Valve doesn't step all over legit backup-cd users
Ron

93. Re: Dammit. May 15, 2003, 07:49 léchíc

Actually I think Microsoft doesnt want to have full Copy Protection, my guess is that they earn more by scaring the buisness world and "giving" it for free to some people.

92. Re: Dammit. May 15, 2003, 07:48 Xombie

Squirmer, I do believe those are for the Xbox version.  
Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie

91. gee May 15, 2003, 06:20 j4ck50n

such high horses, i hope y'all don't fall.
finger pointers and philosophers. reasons not to d/l games:
1.sob story
2.physical threats
3.ya might make 'joe ethics' mad
im sure the couple thousand peeps who d/l games really put a dent in the companies bottom line. the news is full of companies folding because of illegal pirating...and the RIAA is paying you how much?
i wonder how many of you have mp3's that aren't 100% on your box. i wonder how many of you would look for the owner of that 20 dollar bill you found.

This comment was edited on May 15, 06:20.

90. Re: No subject May 15, 2003, 06:16 seenitall

...Which is why it is so baffling to me that ever since Valve announced a September 30th release date, EVERYONE has been clamoring to make sure their game gets released around that date...

My thoughts exactly. When you consider that the recent months have been a vast wasteland of ho-hum games, then this logjam of great games in the fall... *sigh*

89. No subject May 15, 2003, 06:00 all4naught

This comment was edited on May 15, 06:02.

348 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo