Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2 Trailer

IGN's Half-Life 2 Media Page now offers a link to a Half-Life 2 teaser (the link was broken for a bit after being posted, but seems to work properly now). The 11.9 MB movie is in QuickTime format. There are also Half-Life 2 Impressions on GameSpot with a detailed rundown on what they saw, concluding with: "Frankly, we were blown away by what we saw of Half-Life 2 here, and though this was a rolling demo (albeit of real-time gameplay), Valve proceeded to demonstrate the bug bait level in action, which looked just as good as in the rolling demo. Based on the 25-minute Half-Life 2 demo, we can say with reasonable certainty that this is definitely a game worth looking forward to."

View
348 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

128. Re: No subject May 15, 2003, 16:36 Tony!!!

There was a HL tech video where he used the grav gun on a body. It looked really cool flopping around. In fact it looked exactly like the zombie that flopped around in mid air in the Doom video. Oh, and there is a very good chance I'll be going to E3 tommorrow! Teeheee!

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

127. Re: No subject May 15, 2003, 16:32 Bronco

I hope they don't end up doing something silly like in Deus Ex where the main characters were immortal at some points.

This would reach back to my first question and relate to the environment as well. For example, say a bridge that is the only way across a ravine is destroyed leaving no alternative. I know that alternate routes can be provided but again, should it not be possible to block those routes as well? Obviously a player would not intentionally block all ways out of a room but the possibility that they could must be a real pain in the ass to deal with.

I can only think of one moment in Deus Ex where I couldn't kill someone, that's not too bad.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org
??????

-TPFKAS2S

126. No subject May 15, 2003, 15:58 Bunko

The tech demo (the first GS stream) is AMAZING. The 3rd is pretty interesting as well. The facial animation is great. The movie with Barney is pretty cool. The story is shaping up pretty nicely. This game is looking uber-cool. I think I'm gonna have to preorder.

Now if only the streams didn't suck so much.

This comment was edited on May 15, 16:18.

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22

125. Re: No subject May 15, 2003, 15:57 Term

Well, trying to answer these questions is surely nothing else but speculation, but you made some good points there. Concerning the barrel question, I've also wondered about the non-linearity of the game probably causing any showstoppers. It's plain to see that the devs solved each "problem" in the rolling demo the best way they could and in order to demonstrate superior features of the game. However, I wonder how many ways there are to solve tasks in the game, if it's really the endless possibilities it is looking like right now, this really is a revolution in gaming.

I'm not sure if the soldier being speared is a script. Technically speaking (advanced AI, ragdoll physics) it could be possible that the creature is just reacting on him and would not even move if you mowed him down at first sight. However, it is indeed very tempting to yell "script! script!" looking at how spectacular the scene unfolds

Concerning the large strider battle, I agree with Xombie that it looks like all AI, no script. And yes, I'd also like to toss around some barneys or corpses through City 17

124. Re: No subject May 15, 2003, 15:49 Xombie

First:...
Since the environment is completely interactive, I would have to assume that there are no dead-ends.

Second:...
In the PC Gamer article, Valve said that all semi-scripted events happen in-game, and are interactive. You see in the first time he meets up with Alyx and that scientist, he knocks over the computer and the scientist tells him to be careful.
I hope they don't end up doing something silly like in Deus Ex where the main characters were immortal at some points.

Third:...
I would assume that's AI. They have actually given all the scientists AI, so it would seem silly to do that and then script their actions. Not to mention that due to the interactive environment, you'd be able to destroy or move many of the things they used for cover (E.G.- the car, the dumpster)

What I'd like to know is if you can use the gravity gun on live NPC's. During the last video, I kept wanting him to just toss one of the damn scientists at the strider.

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie

123. Re: No subject May 15, 2003, 15:45 MindTrigger

Anyone have a newer link for the Half Life videos GamesSpot is streaming???

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

122. Re: No subject May 15, 2003, 15:15 Bronco

maybe we could get back to the subject of the video now?

Sure can.

My questions:

First: the scene with the metal I-beams protruding from the wall. A platform is shot up releasing several barrels. The barrels fall through the beams bouncing in apparent random fashion (pachinko anyone?). Is there a possibility that the falaing barrels can damage the exit from the room, resulting in a dead end?

Second: the scene where you meet up with the woman and see the enemy soldier get speared. Can you kill the soldier before he gets speared? Can you save him? Is this just a scripted event ala the scientist in the elevator from HL?

Third: the scene with the striders, how much of that is scripted, the NPCs dodging behind cover, will the go under cover the same way, every time?

How's that?

-TPFKAS2S
I woke up today and wished for tomorrow
I don't want to be like anyone else
I don't want even be myself

-TPFKAS2S

121. No subject May 15, 2003, 15:03 Xombie

maybe we could get back to the subject of the video now?  

120. Re: best game ever May 15, 2003, 14:41 scrotty

vacs wrote #111: "seriously, I didn't know what people were talking about until I saw the 9 Gamespot videos."

I downloaded the HL2 interview GameSpot released last week. It contained no images except the concurrently released static screenshots that everybody's seen by now.

In the interview, the developers were essentially stating that, "HL2 is not about the graphics - it's about the story." I was thinking to myself, "Oh well. I was hoping that I could have both a good story and good graphics. I guess I'll get my eye candy from Doom 3."

Well obviously the HL2 developers were being coy. While the new engines for Doom 3, Deus Ex 2, and HL2 may each have characteristics that trump the others in specific areas, it's clear from the 9 GameSpot videos that HL2 isn't going to lag far behind (if at all) in yummy goodness.

119. Re: Dammit. May 15, 2003, 14:03 Creston

Creston, there are some DX2 movies on IGN. They're crappy movies though, and the game doesn't look that good. But I don't think they're representative of the final version, since even DX2 videos a lot older look better.

I'll wait for an official DX2 trailer, I think.

Thanks for the heads up Squirmer!

Creston

Edit : As for the piracy bit, warez monkeys can dress it up any way they want to, but in the end it's still theft, plain and simple. WHY is it theft? Because the law says so. You don't like that law? Go live somewhere else. I hear in Taiwan nobody cares whether you're a download wh0re or not.

I don't really support the "it lets me try out games before I buy them" bit either. I buy games from three different stores here in Tulsa (I have a budget currently for a game a month, and believe me I'm saving up for that September ), and they ALL let me return a game if I don't like it.
I don't even have to lie about it. I can just walk up to the guy and say "Man, this game stinks, can I exchange it?"
No sweat, no questions asked. They even offer me my money back, even though they know full well that I could have just copied it, or installed it and downloaded a No CD patch. Maybe this is because I'm a good customer (I mostly go the EB / Gamestop), or maybe it's because it's just their policy, but if you REALLY wanted to test a game out, you could just buy it and test it. Don't like it, take it back.

I will, however, agree with the statement that software is getting hideously expensive. I know that right now 50 dollars seems like a lot more money to me than it did about 18 months ago, but it also seems that about two years ago, most games were 40 bucks, not 50. There were definitely NO games out that were 55 bucks, or even 60 bucks. I understand that the devs have to eat too, but that doesn't mean I have to like it

One company which is plain and simply ripping everyone off with their prices is Microsoft. Fortunately I know a store here that will simply sell OEM copies of MS OS's, which is a lot cheaper.
I am also firmly of the opinion that if your occupation is supporting the crap that Microsoft builds, they should send you free copies of their new OS, so you can keep on supporting it. After all, it's the availability of support personnel that's keeping Microsoft so firmly in the saddle. Believe me, once enough Linux support guys become available, you'll find a lot of companies dumping MS. (mostly because of their hideous licensing policies).

That said, hey, if you download, no shirt off my back. If you can sleep at night, cool. Just don't try to justify it, because there IS no justification for it. Each and every single one of the reasons anyone can give for justifying downloading can easily be countered. Software too expensive? Try getting it in a promotional offer, or wait until it's in the bargain bin. Nobody's FORCING you to play Half Life 2 the day it comes out. Wait a year and you can probably get it for cheap.

Sorry for the length

Cres

This comment was edited on May 15, 14:19.

118. Re: gee May 15, 2003, 13:50 MindTrigger

I think the whole software industry is on a slippery slope. This is not a game specific statement, but in my opinion sofware companies are charging WAY too much for their products. Rarely do you see any software for less than $50 and more than likely it is well over $100+. Somewhere along the line nearly ALL companies have forgotten that you can go for VOLUME on your sales rather than charge as much as possible. This ranges from crap you buy at the store to software and music. If prices came down, volume would go up and people would be less inclined to warez stuff.

One place I refuse to pay full price any more is at the music store. You guys can bitch at me all you want, but I have been burned by the music industry for too long. Most albums released today are a couple decent songs and 10+ shitty contractual filler songs that end up costing me the better part of $20. Until the music industry makes it so I can purchase songs individually, and make it so I can play them where ever the hell I want, I have no problem ganking music off the net.

On the up side, Apple's new Itunes is doing exactly that. They are charging $.99 per song and there are NO RESTRICTIONS on them. The service is Apple only right now (I don't have a Apple), but they promise a PC version out very soon. I will be there buying music... with a smile.

Allowing us to purchase songs individually does a couple good things:

1. I won't feel ripped off cause I will only buy "the good songs" off an album.

2. Artists will be forced to do more than just contractual filler CRAP MUSIC if they want to make lot of money, so music will actually get better and innovative again.

Anyway, software companies are kinda shooting themselves in the foot on this in my opinion. As long as the prices are that high (without matching VALUE) then people will continue cracking the stuff. Did someone forget to tell the software companies that the economy is in the crap basket right now? VOLUME VOLUME VOLUME. Thanks to the late 90's, no one understands that marketing tool any more.

This comment was edited on May 15, 13:56.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

117. Re: Dammit. May 15, 2003, 13:32 MindTrigger

Creston,

I am in the same boat as you right now. I've spent the last 10 years of my career not caring what much anything costs. Now I see the prospect of needing a new video card and a bunch of cool games this year and I'm wondering how I will pull it off (this is the least of my current worries though). $50 goes a long way in my house right now, we are in budget mode until things get better.

Man, I've tried to find supplemental work too, and there just is none here in Vegas. Our job market is nearly non-existant. Anyway, I will survive.

--

116. Re: gee May 15, 2003, 12:53 Bronco

my point as well, seems to keep being missed:

I did not miss your point. I even asked you to elaborate further.

take the image, enjoy it guilt free, if you like it and play it, then buy it

So how long should I take to decide if I enjoy it? If I play all the way through the game enjoy it but find out it's not long enough for me do I have to buy it? Or can I wait until it's in the bargain bin for $19.99 to buy it for a price I deem correct?

How about if I d/l it, love the SP but hate the MP. Do I have to buy it?

What level of appreciation does a game have to achieve in order for me to deem it worthy of my money?

That's a slippery slope you are walking on.

-TPFKAS2S

-TPFKAS2S

115. Re: No subject May 15, 2003, 12:50 j4ck50n

ultimately, the game is purchased...

i own Half Life, Quakes, Starcrafts, RTCW, MTW, etc. funny, these are the ones I play and are worth double their cost IMO.

i am glad I didn't buy WC3, AOM, SC4, Vietcong (man that sucks) and a bunch of other crap.

ok, i said my piece, unless someone really gets me going i am all done with this.

This comment was edited on May 15, 12:52.

114. No subject May 15, 2003, 12:44 Xombie

Buying games = good
Not buying games = not good like buying games
I don't care what your position in life is. Getting the game without paying the developer is simply selfish.

113. Re: gee May 15, 2003, 12:40 j4ck50n

my point as well, seems to keep being missed:

there is no "just steal", if you like it buy it.

i read the mags, i see the sites, however what others may like, i may not and vice versa.

take the image, enjoy it guilt free, if you like it and play it, then buy it. if you don't, delete it and save your cash for a deserving game. thats my message.

112. Re: No subject May 15, 2003, 12:27 cyxxon

Thanks, TimothyB / #63, I re-read the part about trying 20 times, and voila - it somehow magically downloaded now, with 800k, after tons-o-retries, and even my ftp client set to repeatedly try it for half an hour. But then Mozilla just got thru...

I hope they rock when I got them, but from what I've seen so far, they will... oh, they will, boy!

(What'S this... Doom 3... they are all talking about again?)

111. best game ever May 15, 2003, 12:17 vacs

seriously, I didn't know what people were talking about until I saw the 9 Gamespot videos.

I really had high expectations of that game. But they were too low for what I've seen now a few minutes ago. This going to the most amazing, ground-breaking game ever. Never have I seen just an overwhelming amount of details, amazingly executed amount of details, like watereffects, particle effects, dust blowing, phonecabels swinging in the air or face animations.

This is the game that is going to revolutionize PC gaming and probably gaming in general. If the MP part is only half as good that game will be worth twice every single cent you spend on it. The immersion is incredible and I have only seen videos now.

It's unbelievable how 4 months can be an eternity

110. Re: OH MAH GAWD!! May 15, 2003, 12:14 Tony!!!

Stealing is stealing. Whether you physically hold up the bank or you do it by changing numbers on your account through a commputer, your still ripping somebody off!

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

109. Re: OH MAH GAWD!! May 15, 2003, 11:54 Bronco

That's like equating verbal abuse with murder -- they're not the same, no matter how many times you say it is.

Please take a course in logic then come back.

Thank you.

-TPFKAS2S

-TPFKAS2S

348 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer