Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2 Trailer

IGN's Half-Life 2 Media Page now offers a link to a Half-Life 2 teaser (the link was broken for a bit after being posted, but seems to work properly now). The 11.9 MB movie is in QuickTime format. There are also Half-Life 2 Impressions on GameSpot with a detailed rundown on what they saw, concluding with: "Frankly, we were blown away by what we saw of Half-Life 2 here, and though this was a rolling demo (albeit of real-time gameplay), Valve proceeded to demonstrate the bug bait level in action, which looked just as good as in the rolling demo. Based on the 25-minute Half-Life 2 demo, we can say with reasonable certainty that this is definitely a game worth looking forward to."

View
348 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

148. Re: Stupid Followers May 15, 2003, 22:58 Creston

I was there when Half-Life came out

Judging from your level of "intellect" (and I use the term VERY loosely, mind), you were still sucking on your mother's teat when Half Life came out.

Now go back to mowing some grass and hoping a girl will ever notice you enough that you can fantasize about going to the Prom with her in a dozen years.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

147. Bug Bait May 15, 2003, 22:58 Bronco

To get back to the game:

I found it strange that there you are, holding the 'bait' and the ants just sit there looking at you. Is this supposed to be like my buddies pit bull? He can sit there with a piece of candy in his hand and the dog will sit there in a zen like trance waiting for her part of the treat. She'll slobber like crazy but won't take her eyes off the treat if you set her ass on fire.

That is what the Ants reminded me of.

Oh, and it was interesting how at some points Gordon would shoot out a window to give the ants fast access to the bad men. The machine gun tripods making a return is great as well. Looks like they are holding on to enough of the original. Has anybody noticed if the suit Gordon wears has the same voice?

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org
??????

-TPFKAS2S

146. Re: Stupid Followers May 15, 2003, 21:52 scrotty

You are all a bunch of cowardly, thoughtless followers. I was there when Half-Life came out. I was still there when all you pussies gave up hope. I still believe in Team Fortress 2. I think you band-wagon homos should all be shot!

Heh heh. Fanboys are so cute!

145. Re: Stupid Followers May 15, 2003, 21:36 ]-UnderTOW-[

I think that was a bit strong, but all too true. The morons that thought Valve died simply because they didn't have updates on their progress every second.

144. Re: Stupid Followers May 15, 2003, 21:16 Bronco

We are not worthy of your presence.

Please indulge us with more of your mindless amazing thought process!

I would like to follow you. Please provide us all with direction.

Thank you.

-TPFKAS2S
??????

-TPFKAS2S

143. No subject May 15, 2003, 20:46 Xombie

OGHL?  
Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie

142. Re: No subject May 15, 2003, 20:45 Hump

im sick of registering (gamespot)just so i can see 60 seconds of a movie only to find out that i then have to subscribe and pay.

I just hope none of u retards paid up.

paint me retarded ;p

I couldnt take take the suspense anymore so I signed up. they have the full E3 demo in 8 parts and it completely blew me away. Not only did Valve live up to the expectations of the first one, they danced around and stomped on it. Theres also a 45 min interview with Gabe Newell and another Valve team member thats very interesting as they talk about the game and their philosophy on pushing the genre foward.

The best $5 I've spent yet.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently Playing: PS beta On Deck: Breed Demo Reading: Stephen Baxters "Manifold" series

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

141. Stupid Followers May 15, 2003, 20:40 Zephalephelah

Everyone was like, Valve sucks ass. Down with Valve. Now that they put out a game, you don’t even care that you waited.

I hope that you can’t play it with your crap computer & someone plays it all the way through 1 two days & tells you all about the ending. I hope you pre-order it & on your way to pick it up, you get struck by a firetruck & end up in a coma for 9 years so that when you can finally play it, it isn’t worth crap compared to what else is out. I hope you get stuck on a level & can’t get past it & it makes you so pissed that you get a pistol & shoot yourself in the head. I hope you fucking die. You all suck ass. Valve is soo cool. Valve owns. Down with Doom. Valve’s the best. YEAH, WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THEY WERE WORKING ON THIS? I’ll tell you where. Valve sucks. Vaporware Valve. Half-Life 2, not in my lifetime.

You are all a bunch of cowardly, thoughtless followers. I was there when Half-Life came out. I was still there when all you pussies gave up hope. I still believe in Team Fortress 2. I think you band-wagon homos should all be shot!

140. Re: m00f May 15, 2003, 20:14 Bronco

I wanna know if it's got anything new / different on it before I wait in line for 40 min.

Just finished watching it. Higher res than anything I've seen so far but nothing new content wise.

-TPFKAS2S
??????

-TPFKAS2S

139. m00f May 15, 2003, 19:34 Bunko

Has anyone d/l'ed the high res movie off of fileplanet? I wanna know if it's got anything new / different on it before I wait in line for 40 min.  
There was only one catch and that was Catch-22

138. Re: No subject May 15, 2003, 18:49 Xombie

I did, and I got to see all the HL vids in high-res while everyone else was either waiting for a stream or begging for a mirror. Not to mention the video interview they have.
Worth every penny.

137. Re: No subject May 15, 2003, 18:46 Jobz

im sick of registering (gamespot)just so i can see 60 seconds of a movie only to find out that i then have to subscribe and pay.

136. Re: No subject May 15, 2003, 18:33 Term

For example, say a bridge that is the only way across a ravine is destroyed leaving no alternative. I know that alternate routes can be provided but again, should it not be possible to block those routes as well?

I don't think it's too hard to provide at least one solution to every situation which can't be blackballed. As a level designer you always have to deal with the risk of showstoppers and have to balance the hell out of your maps to avoid them. I'm very confident that Valve took an approach like this: there's a zillion ways to solve a problem within the game, but if you still manage to screw it up Jim Carrey-style, there's still that one last undestroyable bridge that leads you further.

I am 100% convinced that that soldier who gets speared is scripted. He jumps out of an airlock, holds you up at gunpoint and tells you to freeze. Every other soldier in all the videos just immediately shoots at you.

I guess you're right there. Of course there's some sort of trigger Gordon walks through telling Alyx to get frightened and the grunt to drop off the ceiling. But from that point on and from a modellers POV it would be almost impossible to create an animation combining both models, the tentacle and the soldier, to run through the action shown where he is speared. So I really think it's AI and physics from the point on where the soldier gets noticed by the tentacle.

135. Re: Whitewash effect? May 15, 2003, 17:50 TimothyB

I think that the soldier that gets speared is scripted, but was put there to let you know what would happen if you got too close to those things. I pretty sure though that you might be able to shoot him first and he might shoot back but then he'd get it.

134. Re: Whitewash effect? May 15, 2003, 17:35 Xombie

I finally managed to download the hi-res vids of HL2, but why do so many of the vids seem overly bright?
They're all shakycam videos. Also the reason why the sound sucks on them.

133. Whitewash effect? May 15, 2003, 17:29 Malice

I finally managed to download the hi-res vids of HL2, but why do so many of the vids seem overly bright? Everything dark appears to have a weird glow to it and everything light just feels washed out. I figure that was just a by-product of the way the vids were recorded, but this seems about 300% brighter than the original.

The physics are cool...I can see multiplayer maps full of furniture that you just throw at each other. However, the first many levels better not be headcrab mania again- god that got old quick in HL1.

I don't know how I feel about this one as a whole yet...HL1 didn't really blow me away. I bought it a year after it came out and it took another 3-4 years to get around to finishing it (after starting and abandoning it a number of times). It seemed like they put a good chunk of story at the beginning, hardly any through the middle, and then made a last ditch effort at putting some connection between it all at the end. Hope this doesn't go the same way...

132. Re: No subject May 15, 2003, 17:24 Scott

2) I am 100% convinced that that soldier who gets speared is scripted. He jumps out of an airlock, holds you up at gunpoint and tells you to freeze. Every other soldier in all the videos just immediately shoots at you.

You're right, the soldier's actions appear to be scripted, but I don't think the sequence is. Valve said there would be some interactivity to the scripted events so I'd assume that if you shot the soldier immediately, the water tentacle would skip the attack routine.

As for the strider, well I don't see any reason Valve would mislead us.

This comment was edited on May 15, 17:37.

131. Re: No subject May 15, 2003, 17:12 Xombie

2) I am 100% convinced that that soldier who gets speared is scripted. He jumps out of an airlock, holds you up at gunpoint and tells you to freeze. Every other soldier in all the videos just immediately shoots at you.
I think more of what he's asking is "is it interactive?", not "is the soldier scripted?", since it obviously is scripted to be there.

3) The strider is a good question. I feel that the part where the striders walk out of buildings, and bend under that overhang is scripted (even though Valve says it isn't, it just seems to complex somehow for AI to handle).
I definitely think that is AI. It's actually one of the things they're giving as an example of the AI. It doesn't necessarily have to be completely something the AI figures out, it could be just one of the options the strider has for getting around things, and it still wouldn't be considered a script.

130. Re: No subject May 15, 2003, 17:02 Creston

Answers (in my opinion)

1) If the exit can be damaged, it can also be destroyed, hence (in theory) re-opening that exit. An exit is always a passageway of some kind, which could be blocked. But since everything appears destructable, the thing blocking the exit could be destroyed, hence you'd have the exit.
I doubt falling barrels could damage the actual opening / passage what is constituted the exit.

3) The strider is a good question. I feel that the part where the striders walk out of buildings, and bend under that overhang is scripted (even though Valve says it isn't, it just seems to complex somehow for AI to handle). I think the scientists running away, firing and taking cover is AI, however.

Creston

129. Re: No subject May 15, 2003, 16:37 Scott

What I'd like to know is if you can use the gravity gun on live NPC's. During the last video, I kept wanting him to just toss one of the damn scientists at the strider.

I wanted to use the gravity gun to pull the strider's legs out from under it. This game is going to have even more replay value then the first one.

Awesome videos. Imagine, this is just a fraction of what the 30+ hour game will have in store.

348 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo