Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2 Trailer

IGN's Half-Life 2 Media Page now offers a link to a Half-Life 2 teaser (the link was broken for a bit after being posted, but seems to work properly now). The 11.9 MB movie is in QuickTime format. There are also Half-Life 2 Impressions on GameSpot with a detailed rundown on what they saw, concluding with: "Frankly, we were blown away by what we saw of Half-Life 2 here, and though this was a rolling demo (albeit of real-time gameplay), Valve proceeded to demonstrate the bug bait level in action, which looked just as good as in the rolling demo. Based on the 25-minute Half-Life 2 demo, we can say with reasonable certainty that this is definitely a game worth looking forward to."

View
348 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

328. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 21, 2003, 16:07 Tony!!!

So your saying they scrapped the Dolby 5.1 tech? They didn't get somebody else to take his place. hes was hired for his talent with making Errie sound fx. Please show me the article where its stated that this tech won't be in the game now. I'd like to think you have some credibility.

And yes, the ragdoll fx in both games Are amazing. You'd be hard press to find folks who agree with you that they look like crap.

And we all know you like to edit and delete.

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

327. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 21, 2003, 16:01 Tony!!!

No, the sheen is apparent on the metal of his armor, not his skin. The sheen IS apparent on some of the dead bodies. I also see it on the tram and the pipes outside but not the dirt. Hmmmm, I can also see it on the Some of the equipment. Wierd, it seems as if some surfaces are more reflective than other!! Amazing!

Yes, I have played Dues Ex. Lots of fun. Looking forward to playing more than just the E3 demo of Dues Ex 2. You have no idea how cool this game is till you've played it.

Ummm. are you admiting you were wrong about the Dolby 5.1 issue? LOL, Trent Reznor! You do know that was a silly comment.

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)

326. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 21, 2003, 15:54 Xombie

Trent reznor was hired as a sound fx guy dufus. You should know that. He isnt the tech guy responsible for implementing true 5.1 dolby digital technology.
He was the one doing the sound design, including that which uses true 5.1 sound, "dufus".
True 5.1 sound is where the sound is designed to specifically take advantage of a 5.1 speaker setup, not just spread the default sounds out on 5 speakers and a bass.

The ragdoll physics in Doom are incredible. As are the Half Life physics
The ragdoll physics in both games look like crap. Ragdolling in all games right now looks like crap. No existing ragdoll system has yet to consider a muscle system in addition to a bone system. A human body does not turn into lighter-than-air silly putty when it dies.

You did say you havn't been proven wrong.
Then certainly you can post the full quote.

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie

325. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 21, 2003, 15:46 Tony!!!

Trent reznor was hired as a sound fx guy dufus. You should know that. He isnt the tech guy responsible for implementing true 5.1 dolby digital technology.

A professional story writter doesn't mean a bad story ether. And since this is the first time Id is doing this and consentrating soley on the single player aspect, it bodes well.

The ragdoll physics in Doom are incredible. As are the Half Life physics. Look at the shot of the zombie in doom being flopped around. Look at the shot of the body in the tech demo being flopped around. they both look identical. They both look great. You don't think its incredible? What out there looks better. Nothing. Thats a fact. can you program better ragdoll physics and show us how it should be done.

Ohh, and unless you've already deleted it or edited it (which would be typical) You did say you havn't been proven wrong.

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)

324. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 21, 2003, 15:46 Xombie

True, you CAN do more within the invironment because of the games design.
Exactly. You can interact with the environment, use it to your advantage. You can play the game a hundred times and never play it the same way twice. The player can choose what to do, not just follow the developer's intentions.
This is Systematic Level Design. Read Harvey Smith's powerpoint on the subject on Gamasutra.

Move tables. Throw things. Nice gimmick.
Answer me a question, yes or no: Have you played Deus Ex?

I think we can both agree that WHITE is the most reflective color there is
A lab coat, when light is shined at it, makes a bright white color. NOT a reflective plastic sheen like that which is shown in the Doom 3 video.

Look at the Doom Marine. The plastic sheen is only on his armor(metal)
No, it's also on his skin. I already posted earlier the exact second where you can view an example of this.

This comment was edited on May 21, 15:48.

323. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 21, 2003, 15:36 Tony!!!

First off, the gameplay in Half Life doesn't look terribly complicated! You see an alien you shoot it. True, you CAN do more within the invironment because of the games design. Move tables. Throw things. Nice gimmick.

I think we can both agree that WHITE is the most reflective color there is. Also, if you actually watch the video, there is not Plastic sheen on the coats, only reflected lights. Look at the Doom Marine. The plastic sheen is only on his armor(metal), NOT his arms. Hmmmm. I'll have to read you other posts as well. Im sure you have fabricated more invalid Xombie 'facts'.

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)

322. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 21, 2003, 15:21 Xombie

Well, I guess a concrete judgement can't be made until the game has been played
Then don't read what I say if you have such a problem with me judging them.

Oh, and yea. What that guys said about the machine specs of the demo was true. Your still going to have to upgrade to play at the caliber you saw on the video. But it will be worth it.
You mean me?

321. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 21, 2003, 15:19 Xombie

Xombie says he hasn't been proven wrong before???
No, he doesn't.

And why has nobody brought up the issue of sound? Is sound not important? Is it because Doom will be the first to bring us true Dolby Digital 5.1?
When Trent Reznor left the project, he took all of his soundwork with him.

the professional story writter for the game
That doesn't mean it will have a good story. Plenty of games in the past with professional storywriters turned out to have a crap story.

the incredible ragdoll physics...
"incredible" how? It looks to me they're no better than the Math engine's ragdoll physics.

320. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 21, 2003, 15:11 Xombie

I didn't say anything about being all-positive. Just from what I have seen in the trailers, if DOOM3 got a 10 for it's graphics then HL2 would get a 7.5.
I beg to differ. Doom 3 has sacrificed detail in order to accomodate the lighting engine. Just look at the textures and the blarinly obvious low-poly parts of the models.

Can you explain to me how you can someone "have a bias, albeit a scattered one."??
I'm talking about your bias on certain parts of the games. You don't seem to have any "we'll wait and see" opinion on any part of the games. You have a bais towards Doom 3's graphics for instance, while not its story.

We should all pray that they were only trying to show the game in it's best possible light and that I will be able to play it reasonably on my Athlon 1600+XP with GF3 Ti200: I don't think so!! If I get a better fps with D3 than HL2 at the same res and qual then I will be royally pissed off.
Doom 3 doesn't need the system as much for its advanced graphics so much as its advanced rendering. It still uses the same tecniques today's games use in most places (Normal Mapping on low-poly models, hand-animated models, low-res textures at distance, etc.)
For HL2, you need a top of the line system because it seems to use features just added in DX9, the advanced AI, and especially for the physics. Not to mention they have deformable environments. Newell says that the deformable environments' LOD-based system won't require a beefy computer, but as someone who used to play Red Faction multiplayer, I'll believe that one when I see it.

319. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 21, 2003, 15:05 raven

"I think we can both agree that white labcoats aren't made of reflective surfaces. "

I wouldn't be so sure, because they use light reflection/refraction for the Corneas on the eye.

318. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 21, 2003, 15:02 Xombie

You defend Half Life2 with the same gusto that you bag Doom3.
And you act surprised about it in every reply you make to me.

Give us a break!! It is going to be the first game of it's kind to use this level of lighting.
That doesn't mean that it's OK to leave in side effects of the lighting tecniques, though.

Maybe there is this level of sheen when there isn't much ambient light to upset the direct path of the ceiling light to the sweaty forehead of the player model, or the slimy skins or the monsters from hell.
I would say that's a possibility, if it weren't for the fact that the same "sheen" effect is apparent on the lab coats of slmost every scientist in the video.
I think we can both agree that white labcoats aren't made of reflective surfaces.

How can you even begin to comment on the gameplay unless you have even sat down and started playing the game??
I'm not the first one to say I expect Doom 3's gameplay to be simplistic. Hell, a lot of Doom fans have come out in these threads and said it themselves.

What grade of gameplay is HalfLife2 going to have??
From the level of environmental interaction that Valve has already proven in their demo, it looks like they're using a type of Systematic Level Design.

What grade of gameplay does any game have. After all, they are all only games.
That's the poorest excuse for lazy game design I've ever seen.

317. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 21, 2003, 14:28 raven

I was at E3, I saw the stuff in action, the Physics system *Havok* Simply is amazing, that alone is enough to put it ahead in my book.

Doom3 has all the lighting; Half-life1 used the Quake 1 engine, and Seriously upgraded the lighting. I personally think that Lighting is an easier thing to add to make it more realistic than Physics. *Volumetric lighting, and such*

HL2 uses the same Poly upscale techniques.

316. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 21, 2003, 13:41 Tony!!!

Ohhh, and why don't I just go out on a limb and say that Doom is a better game. Doom is more fun. Ahem. Can you prove me wrong? Can you? What??? What's that you say? You havn't played ether one? You've only read up on the two and seen videos??? Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh. Well, I guess a concrete judgement can't be made until the game has been played. Oh, and yea. What that guys said about the machine specs of the demo was true. Your still going to have to upgrade to play at the caliber you saw on the video. But it will be worth it.

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)

315. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 21, 2003, 13:30 Tony!!!

Xombie says he hasn't been proven wrong before??? Is that what you really think? Is that why your so quick with the delete button on some of your posts? LOL. And why has nobody brought up the issue of sound? Is sound not important? Is it because Doom will be the first to bring us true Dolby Digital 5.1?
I just don't know XOmbie. With the sound, the first game to have true lighting and shadows, the professional story writter for the game, the incredible ragdoll physics...now, are you sure your not thinking of the first Doom there?

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)

314. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 21, 2003, 12:19 Hump

When she looks over her shoulder, then back at Gordan, it is not simply playing a pre-recorded motion capture sequence, it a piece of code telling the model to look at point A quickly, then look back to point B (Gordan). Do you not see how huge a leap this is over current real time animation systems?

Newell emphasised just that in that long Gamespot interview. That even though it may seem trivial, an NPC (say Barney) just saying "gordon cover me" is one thing, but turning his head to where ever you are and saying "gordon cover me" makes an immense difference in how one feels about, and is immersed into, the game.

I highly recommend the interview if anyone gets a chance to see it. He touches on design issues that are very interesting, many of them being things that you would never even give a second thought to until you noticed them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently Playing:E3 Half-Life 2 movies over and over and over...On Deck: Breed Demo (someday...) Reading: "Darwins Radio" by Greg Bear

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

313. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 21, 2003, 10:48 Midnight

I hear there's a new cereal coming out which combines all of the best aspects of Fruit loops, Coco-pops and corn-flakes into one uber-cereal.

Unfortunately it can only be used in certain brands of bowls.

http://www.crimsondark.com

312. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 21, 2003, 10:32 The Truth

I like mine with milk.

This is the year of the Cow people!

http://www.poorintern.com
- The Voices In My Fruit Loops Tell Me I'm Special -

------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!

311. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 21, 2003, 08:34 eXode

Ooooh, mix Corn Flakes and Coco Pops, almost like forbidden fruit. yum.

310. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 21, 2003, 07:00 vajbern

I hope they keep their integrity and don't suddenly start selling their breakfast cereal only in "X-BOX"-sized packs, a la' McDonalds new super-sized combos.

309. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 21, 2003, 06:01  Eye 

i just hope they keep thier focus and dont go the way of Wheat-o's

348 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo