Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2 Trailer

IGN's Half-Life 2 Media Page now offers a link to a Half-Life 2 teaser (the link was broken for a bit after being posted, but seems to work properly now). The 11.9 MB movie is in QuickTime format. There are also Half-Life 2 Impressions on GameSpot with a detailed rundown on what they saw, concluding with: "Frankly, we were blown away by what we saw of Half-Life 2 here, and though this was a rolling demo (albeit of real-time gameplay), Valve proceeded to demonstrate the bug bait level in action, which looked just as good as in the rolling demo. Based on the 25-minute Half-Life 2 demo, we can say with reasonable certainty that this is definitely a game worth looking forward to."

View
348 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

168. Re: Creston May 16, 2003, 02:42 Zephalephelah

You forgot to sign that "Zeph's Bitch"

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

167. Re: No subject May 16, 2003, 02:03 Creston

Something tells me he'll soon have all his posts replaced by some nice red text too.

Although probably not until E3 is over.

Creston

166. No subject May 16, 2003, 01:56 Xombie

Zeph = fred wannabe

This comment was edited on May 16, 01:56.

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie

165. Re: Creston May 16, 2003, 01:52 Zephalephelah

You forgot to sign that "Zeph's Bitch"

164. Re: Chance May 16, 2003, 01:51 Zephalephelah

The 1st one was a joke.

The 2nd one seems to indicate nothing more than that Unreal 2 sucks ass, which it did, still does, & will always do.

163. Re: Stupid Followers May 16, 2003, 01:35 Chance

Appearances can be decieving. It's hard to judge the temper of a blade that no one save the smith has handled. Bigger is not always better. There, how's that for a series of cliches? The blade / temper one is medieval btw. Personally I hope that Half Life 2, Doom 3, Deus Ex:IW and Thief 3 are the four greatest games ever. But I'll with hold my judgement on all of them until I have more to go on.

162. Re: Stupid Followers May 16, 2003, 01:20 Xombie

While I certainly hope you're right Xombie, that judgement just *might* be a bit premature... before we crown Gabe king, let's find out a bit more It certainlty looks the look and appears to walk the walk, but it wouldn't be the first pretender to the throne that's come and gone.
Well we can check the temper of the blade all we want, but this is the most obvious case of someone having the bigger sword that I've ever seen. I mean, when a single video converts legions of people to MY side, that's saying something.
While other games seem to be making sacrifices left and right, people are struggling to find flaw in HL2.

161. Re: Stupid Followers May 16, 2003, 01:10 Creston

Zeph, here's a hint

www.slashdot.com

That's where you can find people that get impressed by a summary of twelve year old swear words. Not here. Nice try though. Must have taken you a long time to leaf through a thesaurus to come up with so many words?

Creston

160. Re: Stupid Followers May 16, 2003, 01:09 Tony!!!

Hey, somebody post a link to the FULL High rez Half Life trailer. Come on! I know its out there.

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

159. Re: Stupid Followers May 16, 2003, 00:57 Chance

Well, Zeph, let's take a look at a couple of your previous posts... it's from your profile:

"VAPORWARE Mar 22, 01:50 Zephalephelah

After the 2 main Valve guys got filthy rich, the smart one retired & is now sailing for the rest of his natural life. This is why Valve hasnít been able to do TF2, canít do CS2, & wonít finish HL2."

--And:

"Re: Vaporware Mar 15, 18:46 Zephalephelah

Dammit! Now I have to think about the possibility that Valve can put together a game that will make today's games look like dung & be played 5 years from now.....

Hmmm.... well, maybe not, unreal 2 sucks ass."

It would seem your conversion to ultimate fanboyism was fairly recent. So why don't you go follow your own advice? That's a good troll

158. Re: Stupid Followers May 16, 2003, 00:51 Chance

Xombie: "It certainly did appear that all they were doing was sitting and enjoying the spoils of their riches, not creating what appears to be the greatest game ever made."

While I certainly hope you're right Xombie, that judgement just *might* be a bit premature... before we crown Gabe king, let's find out a bit more It certainlty looks the look and appears to walk the walk, but it wouldn't be the first pretender to the throne that's come and gone.

157. Re: Stupid Followers May 16, 2003, 00:45 Zephalephelah

I was there when Half-Life came out
Judging from your level of "intellect" (and I use the term VERY loosely, mind), you were still sucking on your mother's teat when Half Life came out.
Now go back to mowing some grass and hoping a girl will ever notice you enough that you can fantasize about going to the Prom with her in a dozen years.
Creston

First of all, your name is on the upper-right of your post, so you must be *really fucking full yourself to think that you need to sign your posts.

Lastly, you were probably one of the followers yourself, bitching about Valve & I hit a nerve. I suggest you to don't reply if I hit nerves again, because I'll just fuck you up once more.

(and start signing your name (Zeph's Bitch")

This comment was edited on May 16, 02:45.

156. Re: No subject May 16, 2003, 00:42 Xombie

Surely there has to be a certain degree of mapping related setup involved in stuff like that, even if it's as simple as tagging something destructable for the AI.
With the way the physics engine is set up, it would seem that everything is destructable, with a certain amount of force. E.G. Gordon could have blasted that skywalk if he had a gun as powerful as the strider's.

155. Re: Stupid Followers May 16, 2003, 00:37 Ray Marden

That is weird; I could have sworn that I have been Valve's fan boi since day one - Gabe Newll autograph and all.

Meanwhile, the people that have changed their minds, perhaps repeatedly, are "followers." Meanwhile, you, the person that followed the same constant path, criticize and point out the "followers."

Finding that interesting %),
Ray

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
May 24th, 2000: The day I learned that Looking Glass was to be no more.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
Currently playing: Enclave, Half-Life (still the best), Rygar, and Raven Shield.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

154. Re: Strider AI (Was: No subject) May 16, 2003, 00:24 scrotty

I think we should get an AI programmer's opinion on that. I'm not a programmer nor have I ever been good at programming. Because really I'm not sure where video game AI and scripted actions really blur.
I think that the strider's actions were part of its AI, rather than part of a scripted event, as Valve has been touting the strider as an example of their AI programming. Wether the AI is a true type of AI or an if=>then formula, I'm not sure. - Xombie

It's very tough to gauge from the short video whether the strider scene demonstrates AI or scripting. One way Valve could have employed AI was to give each agent, in this case the Strider:

1) A set of primary goals. Say, killing all humans and staying alive.
2) A set of possible actions. Moving, shooting, couching, jumping, etc.
3) A way to assess its current state. "I'm at 80% health. There are three humans attacking me. I am in range to gore human #1 with my right leg, and can shoot human #2 with my gun, I can't attack human #3 without moving forward 30 feet." Etc.
4) A way to evaluate, given its possible actions and current state, what the best action to take is.
"Since my health is okay and with little effort I can kill human #1, that's what I'll do." Or, "My health is really low, even though I could kill human #1, that would expose me to more attacks that could kill me. Therefore, I'd best run away."

Given sufficient primary, secondary, tertiary (etc.) goals and actions, Valve _may_ have made the Strider "smart" enough to say, "I can kill human #3 if only I could get past this damn overhang. So, [new goal] I should try to get past the overhang. I could do this by blasting it with my hyper-cannon (or whatever it's called). Oh darn, my hyper-cannon didn't completely destroy the overhang. But I still want to get to human #3 and I see that I could, given my knowledge of my of body, crouch under the overhang. That's what I'll do..." And so on.

I'd say that until you can play with the game yourself and see whether the Strider does the same thing every time regardless of its surrounding environment, it's tough to determine if that sequence is scripted or not.

Someone in an earlier posting wrote about the soldier who gets gored by the tentacle thing. He noticed that the soldier acted differently (by pointing the weapon at you and speaking instead of just attacking). He reckoned that that might be a giveaway of a scripted event. I'd have to agree. However, in the case of the strider, I don't see such an obvious tip off.

This comment was edited on May 16, 04:11.

153. Re: No subject May 16, 2003, 00:09 DrEvil

Surely there has to be a certain degree of mapping related setup involved in stuff like that, even if it's as simple as tagging something destructable for the AI. Who knows, I cant wait to get my hands on the SDK & mapping tools.

152. Re: No subject May 15, 2003, 23:50 Xombie

I guess it falls more into a semantic discussion of "what is AI and what is a script", then. You see, while I'm sure that the strider RIGHT THERE knows what to do with that overhang, I wonder, would it know what to do with a similar type of overhang where it's AI is not expecting one to be there.
I think we should get an AI programmer's opinion on that. I'm not a programmer nor have I ever been good at programming. Because really I'm not sure where video game AI and scripted actions really blur.
I think that the strider's actions were part of its AI, rather than part of a scripted event, as Valve has been touting the strider as an example of their AI programming. Wether the AI is a true type of AI or an if=>then formula, I'm not sure.

151. Re: Stupid Followers May 15, 2003, 23:46 Xombie

I think that was a bit strong, but all too true. The morons that thought Valve died simply because they didn't have updates on their progress every second.
They've been silent on the status of their main projects since Half Life 1 went gold. Everything else we've ever heard from them was about addons. Hence why the HL2 announcement was so surprising.
It certainly did appear that all they were doing was sitting and enjoying the spoils of their riches, not creating what appears to be the greatest game ever made.

150. Re: No subject May 15, 2003, 23:05 Creston

You're right, the soldier's actions appear to be scripted, but I don't think the sequence is. Valve said there would be some interactivity to the scripted events so I'd assume that if you shot the soldier immediately, the water tentacle would skip the attack routine.

and

I think more of what he's asking is "is it interactive?", not "is the soldier scripted?", since it obviously is scripted to be there.

I see what you're both getting at. I just hope that that interactivity within scripts gets massively tested, because it would suck the big Nads if a script just gets stuck because of your actions and you have to reload. Something I'm sure we've all had quite a few experiences with over the past five or so years..

I definitely think that is AI. It's actually one of the things they're giving as an example of the AI. It doesn't necessarily have to be completely something the AI figures out, it could be just one of the options the strider has for getting around things, and it still wouldn't be considered a script.

I guess it falls more into a semantic discussion of "what is AI and what is a script", then. You see, while I'm sure that the strider RIGHT THERE knows what to do with that overhang, I wonder, would it know what to do with a similar type of overhang where it's AI is not expecting one to be there.

It just seems very complex that it tries to blow it up, then walks underneath. What if the overhang is too low, what if the area isn't wide enough for it to move its legs out to the side enough etc etc.
I'm not saying that it couldn't be AI, it's just that if something like that one sequence only has the possibility of happening once in the entire city (by virtue of the map design), it's so much easier to script it that it wouldn't make any sense at all to implement some pretty advanced AI routines for it.

Then again, I don't make stuff, I just fix it when it breaks.

Creston

Edit : UBB hard. Me smart!

This comment was edited on May 15, 23:06.

149. 25 minute demo? May 15, 2003, 22:59 Bronco

When does the entire 25 minutes get released?

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org
??????

-TPFKAS2S

348 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo