Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2 Trailer

IGN's Half-Life 2 Media Page now offers a link to a Half-Life 2 teaser (the link was broken for a bit after being posted, but seems to work properly now). The 11.9 MB movie is in QuickTime format. There are also Half-Life 2 Impressions on GameSpot with a detailed rundown on what they saw, concluding with: "Frankly, we were blown away by what we saw of Half-Life 2 here, and though this was a rolling demo (albeit of real-time gameplay), Valve proceeded to demonstrate the bug bait level in action, which looked just as good as in the rolling demo. Based on the 25-minute Half-Life 2 demo, we can say with reasonable certainty that this is definitely a game worth looking forward to."

View
348 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

188. Re: CHECK OUT THE FIRST HL2 MOVIE May 17, 2003, 07:56 Yakuza

Nope 3D Realms can't make an annual appearance of DNF until they remake the game for the 9th time using the latest engine. So that means after Half-Life 2 is released we'll probably see a couple screenshots of level geometry from DNF built with the Source Engine. and a year after THAT, they'll show up at E3 again.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

187. Re: HL2 at the ATI booth May 17, 2003, 05:51 Hump

think about it. No deadlines except those you enforce on yourself, no problems with funding, no pressure to keep to a release date, no problems with publishers... every dev team should be so fortunate.

good point.

Newell DID say they reinvested just about every dollar they had and put it into the new game/tech.

Creston: I love Raven. I own all their games (except for a few of the older ones) and I'm sure I'll continue to buy them but with all the success they've had one would think that could go back like they used to and do some innovating again like Necrodome , Take No Prisoners, etc.

After watching those flicks its VERY hard to even look at other games with any enthusiasm (STALKER who? )

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently Playing: PS beta On Deck: Breed Demo Reading: Stephen Baxters "Manifold" series

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

186. Re: CHECK OUT THE FIRST HL2 MOVIE May 17, 2003, 05:32 seenitall

If they've really been working on HL2 for 5 years, I'm glad they didn't announce it the second they got the idea.

Speaking of way over-hyped games, where is the DNF in this years E3?, isn't it time for their 10th annual appearance?

185. Re: CHECK OUT THE FIRST HL2 MOVIE May 17, 2003, 04:58 vajbern

That really blew my mind and showed a lot of the in-game features and physics, without the distraction of aliens and soldiers crossfire.

"GOOD TIMES!!! GOOD TIMES!!!" for games!!

This comment was edited on May 17, 05:01.

184. Re: HL2 at the ATI booth May 17, 2003, 03:42 Chance

Hump, I guarantee you that Valve had more money and more time. Five years and the proceeds from HL / CS... think about it. No deadlines except those you enforce on yourself, no problems with funding, no pressure to keep to a release date, no problems with publishers... every dev team should be so fortunate.

183. Re: HL2 at the ATI booth (creston) May 17, 2003, 02:06 Zephalephelah

You forgot to sign that reply "Zeph's Bitch".

182. Re: HL2 at the ATI booth May 17, 2003, 02:05 Creston

Hey, be fair to Raven, they're working with three year old technology. Give them the Source engine, or the Doom 3 engine, and then watch them make a Soldier of Fortune or Jedi Knight with it. I'm sure it'd be just as mindblowing.

Creston

181. Re: HL2 at the ATI booth May 16, 2003, 21:21 Hump

While the videos themselves are amazing, seeing it first hand straight off of the PC is mind blowing.

I figured as much. while I'm happy that Gamespot took the shaky-cam footage (I watch the whole batch of them several times a day), the sound was distorted and visuals were washed out looking in many scenes. I pray Valve sees fit to release the whole gloriousm package to the rest of us

I can't get the demo out of my head where Freemans driving that buggy with that crazy alien flying turret dealie is after him. Then I think about unreal 2, the past several games by Raven and all that money they had and neither one can even approach what I saw in the vids by Valve. Theyre still trying to play catch-up to HL 1 and here's Valve on a whole 'nother level again.

Sept. is too far away....

Currently Playing: PS beta On Deck: Breed Demo Reading: Stephen Baxters "Manifold" series

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

180. re post #147 May 16, 2003, 19:10  Wookieballs 

the whole deal with the antlion bait thingie....

It was explained at the demo that Gordon had pheromones put on him that made him "friends" of the antlions. or at least they thought he was friends. He would toss the pods to direct them where to go, and obviously they didnt find the soldiers as friends. The giant antlion at the end is immune to the pheromones.

179. HL2 at the ATI booth May 16, 2003, 19:05  Wookieballs 

Howdy all.

I was at E3 yesterday and saw the demonstration for HL2 first hand.

They actually went into depth about the tech thats going in for a bit, and then did the demos that you guys see in the videos floating around. The videos do not do this game justice. While the videos themselves are amazing, seeing it first hand straight off of the PC is mind blowing.

My favorite part of the tech demo was the character model being fully animated but as water... they had flames behind the model, and the light was refracting through the body. very cool stuff.

I saw alot of cool stuff at the show yesterday, but nothing came even close to touching Half Life 2.

178. Everyone should see this! May 16, 2003, 16:29 Duk-Val

I DONT KNOW HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE SEEN THIS... BUT I ONLY SAW IT A FEW MINS AGO. WOW, HALF-LIFE 2 IS GUNNA BE BRILLIANT.

http://minds.may.ie/~provost/half-life2/video2/halflife2_pce32003_2dn_qt.mov

If you have seen it, see it again.

177. Re: Vic3K May 16, 2003, 16:15 DrEvil

".. Im SURE that soon they will have a rock solid piracy technology that will make it virutally impossible to crack or pirate this stuff."

Not gonna happen. If it can be done you better believe it will be un-done.

176. Re: Vic3K May 16, 2003, 13:32 Slingblade

Game development is a very difficult and uncertain business. At best most hope to break even and maybe make a little money doing what they love.

After spending over a year and a half of my valuable time learning how to use Worldcraft to build some Half-life levels, I realized just how much work making these games is. After that, my whole outlook on pirating or cracking games changed. Maybe you should put yourself in their shoes, eh Vic?

They deserve every dime of that $50. Unfortunately the developers dont even see most of that. Enjoy it now folks because Im SURE that soon they will have a rock solid piracy technology that will make it virutally impossible to crack or pirate this stuff. Then you will have to grow up, get a job and actually pay for it...

175. Mr. T makes his triumphant return May 16, 2003, 12:35 Bunko

• I pity Zeph because he's really REALLY stupid.
  •  
    There was only one catch and that was Catch-22

174. Re: Stupid Followers May 16, 2003, 10:53 Ray Marden

No fair, no fair!

The link master cannot request linkage!!!

Waiting for you to do your job already ;P,
    Ray

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    May 24th, 2000: The day I learned that Looking Glass was to be no more.
    http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
    Currently playing: Enclave, Half-Life (still the best), Rygar, and Raven Shield.

Everything is awesome!!!
    http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
    I love you, mom.

173. Re: No subject May 16, 2003, 07:28 Term

I think we should get an AI programmer's opinion on that.

I'm not a programmer either, but I worked for ages with the HL1 engine and took some time to analyze what can be seen from the new engine so far. This screenshot should help to shed some light on the subject:

http://www.planethalflife.com/half-life2/screenshots/11.jpg

Those yellow squares you see on the ground are so called "info_nodes" and were solely responsible for AI pathfinding in the HL1 engine. Judging from the screenshot, they found their way into the new engine as well and from looking at the 2D views, they seem to serve the same purpose: you place info nodes close enough together so each one "sees" the next one and the engine calculates the AI paths when loading the map the first time.

Another interesting thing to be seen in this shot is the selected "point_bugbait" which seems to define a certain area and the according AI behaviour once a bug is baited within (see all the "OnBaited" flags). This seems to be similar to the "multi_manager" of the HL1 engine which directs a series of events once a certain trigger state for it is reached.

Projecting this to the strider scene I guess it's a mixture of both: basic pathfinding through info nodes and advanced AI behaviour at certain places through triggers (strider passes trigger zone "overhang", AI switches to "overhang mode", trying to get past it). I'm not sure if I would call that "scripting", but that's just a matter of definition.

172. Re: Stupid Followers May 16, 2003, 07:13 Tony!!!

"I mean, when a single video converts legions of people to MY side, that's saying something."

You've summed yourself and your whole purpose in that one sentence. NERD! Stop jerking it already.

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)
    my 360 user name is Robo Pop

171. Here are all the movies: May 16, 2003, 06:42 AvengR

Here are all the movies, all the same as the ones from GameSpot, but filmed by ITAvisen.

http://www.itavisen.no/art/1301187.html

This game is gonna rock!

170. Re: HalfLife2 Trailer disappointment May 16, 2003, 03:22 vajbern

Now that's what I'm talking about!!!

I managed to download the strider in-game movie and, even though it is a bit washed out (video off a monitor), it is obvious that this game is going to be/look incredible.

I was even impressed by the lighting changes of the gaps between the cobblestones as Gordon walks up the street. It's these little things that create atmosphere and realism.

Good on you, Valve, for releasing this ingame footage. But how about better quality movie files??

vajbern

169. Re: No subject May 16, 2003, 02:49 Chance

Creston: "Something tells me he'll soon have all his posts replaced by some nice red text too.

Although probably not until E3 is over."

Guessing Blue has his eyes glued to E3 video like every other gamer out there... and starting to sound like Ray. Not that that is bad or anything

348 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 9.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo