Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2 Trailer

IGN's Half-Life 2 Media Page now offers a link to a Half-Life 2 teaser (the link was broken for a bit after being posted, but seems to work properly now). The 11.9 MB movie is in QuickTime format. There are also Half-Life 2 Impressions on GameSpot with a detailed rundown on what they saw, concluding with: "Frankly, we were blown away by what we saw of Half-Life 2 here, and though this was a rolling demo (albeit of real-time gameplay), Valve proceeded to demonstrate the bug bait level in action, which looked just as good as in the rolling demo. Based on the 25-minute Half-Life 2 demo, we can say with reasonable certainty that this is definitely a game worth looking forward to."

View
348 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

248. Re: Worked for me May 19, 2003, 18:57 vajbern

Are these larger versions also shaky-cam movies??

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

247. Re: Worked for me May 19, 2003, 18:19 DrEvil

thx faris

anyone got a torrent to the 600meg version? Is it the same as the 530meg one?

This comment was edited on May 19, 18:31.

246. Re: Worked for me May 19, 2003, 18:16 Faris

Well I didn't get to see that 600 MB movie Anon spoke about.. given that it's indeed a new one
HOWEVER, the 500+ MB file is now available for direct download here: (along with more than 300 MB of other smaller clips)

http://download.jucaushii.ro/index.php?location=Li9zdG9yYWdlL3RyYWlsZXJzL0hhbGYtTGlmZTI=

"I watched the parts of the movies where it shoots that gun and right after the appendage gets all baggy and loose
Now theres a Freudian image for ya..." (Hump)
- couldn't have put it better myself

245. Re: Doom III vs. Half-Life 2 (D3 vs. Source) May 19, 2003, 18:15 Xombie

Is it aboslutely neccesary to to decide which one is the best game?
No, but it's also not absolutely necessary to play video games.

This comment was edited on May 19, 18:15.

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie

244. Re: Doom III vs. Half-Life 2 (D3 vs. Source) May 19, 2003, 17:52 Panick

Is it aboslutely neccesary to to decide which one is the best game? Is it totally impossible to enjoy them both equally? I'm gonna love d3 for it's mindless action and great graphics. Hl2 will be a great game too with it's physics and all. Stalker is gonna rock too.
The best thing is that even if they are all FPS'ers, they are totally different. They are not like Quake and Unreal Tournament. Stalker is gonna have HUGE and good looking outdoor maps. D3 will have tight maps and great lightning. A nice Sci-Fi shooter, just what the engine was build for. Hl2 will have a little of everything. Deus Ex was an awsome game so nr2 should be too. Theif 3 looks realy promising. (And on and on...)

The sad thing (great for me though) is that I'm always gonna enjoy alot more games and have alot more fun then all of you who simply MUST convice yourselves (and others) that the game you like is the best, and point out all the flaws in the other ones. Enjoy the game's for what they are, not for what you think they should be.

(erhm...altough Enter the Matrix sure is a really sucky game, but it's a port so that doesnt count )

243. Re: Doom III vs. Half-Life 2 (D3 vs. Source) May 19, 2003, 11:57 Xombie

D3 with the immersion of the environment, the feeling of anticipation and the adreneline rush given how we've seen it used in D3) and HL2 with it's jaw-dropping effects that are sure to inspire new ways to think about gaming other than the techinical aspects, etc.
How does Doom 3 have immersion of the environment over Half Life 2?

SP vs. MP: D3 wins in SP. Source wins in MP. I believe that the SP "experience" is all about just that . . . being completely immersed in the game environment and given what I've seen, D3 wins here.
How?
It would seem to me that Half Life 2 has more advanced animation (dynamic, real time and muscle-based, rather than animated by hand), more detailed animation (e.g.- Alyx's eyes), more realistic look (e.g.- No plastic-like "sheen" on characters), an environment that is completely dynamic and physics-based (with the most realistic physics ever seen in any game to date), and doesn't even take you out of first person.

This comment was edited on May 19, 12:05.

242. Re: Doom III vs. Half-Life 2 (D3 vs. Source) May 19, 2003, 11:28  Eye 

For me HL2 has shown the more immersive SP environment. Dynamic AI scripting, highly interactive environments, allies that respond dynamically to you and relate the story entirely thru 1st person, never taking you out of body like with doom. plus the range of gameplay elements just seems so much more vast, imaginative and most importantly fun.

241. Doom III vs. Half-Life 2 (D3 vs. Source) May 19, 2003, 11:02 Nostromo

OK, let's sound off on this . . . we seem to all be in agreement (given that this is a HL2 thread and all) that HL2 and the Source engine, given what I/we've seen, appears to be more interesting/inspiring (to put it mildly)than the D3 engine. As some of you undoubtedly will not agree . . . what are your comments with regard to the D3 vs. Source engine when it comes to the following based on what we know about the game engine capabilities and overall impressions to date:

Game Play (i.e. new and more interesting situations for the gamer and the "experience" of gaming)

Modification Capabilities (e.g. NOT just new game types but truly new ways to experience the engine and it's features across all genres)

SP vs. MP (i.e. engine capabilities that will enhance or change or detract from these two very different ways to play or fully experience an "engine/game")

Here are my thoughts on the use of the D3 engine in Doom 3 and the Source engine in HL2 (knowing that they'll both be used in other games in completely different ways . . . imagine an RPG/FPS with the Source engine??)

IMO, the game play issue is a toss-up . . . both the D3 and Source engines have exciting new features that will certainly enhance game play (D3 with the immersion of the environment, the feeling of anticipation and the adreneline rush given how we've seen it used in D3) and HL2 with it's jaw-dropping effects that are sure to inspire new ways to think about gaming other than the techinical aspects, etc.)

New Mod Capabilities: Source wins. The demo(s) we've seen all have our minds racing as to the new and different ways to approach an FPS (or any game for that matter) . . . whereas D3 is awesome looking, from what I/we've seen it appears to be same drill but with awesome "graphics" and lighting, etc. I wasn't nearly as blown away with D3 as I was seeing the HL2 demos.

SP vs. MP: D3 wins in SP. Source wins in MP. I believe (and you may not) that the SP "experience" is all about just that . . . being completely immersed in the game environment and given what I've seen, D3 wins here. As for MP . . . well, we all can't wait to see what the next iteration of Counter-Strike (or ??) will look like using the Source engine, right?

Long winded . . . I apologize but I'm so excited for this Fall I can't stand it.

Nostromo

240. Re: Worked for me May 19, 2003, 09:42 Jobz

fileplanet has a 600mb HL2 movie, anyone know if its new stuff or old?

239. Re: Worked for me May 19, 2003, 09:23 DrEvil

The skulls didn't move all that quickly in the original doom, did they get a flight upgrade for d3? If I remember right when they got up close they were pretty stationary biting at you or something. I could be wrong, its been a while.

238. Re: Worked for me May 19, 2003, 09:18 Xombie

The thing with the flaming skulls in Doom is, they will be flying real fast when the game is going.
Yeah, but it doesn't stop with just the skulls. I've seen similar poor normal mapping on shots with lumbering zombies. Obviously they won't be moving quickly.
I'm not saying that there aren't similar low-poly characters in games like DX2 and HL2 (there are), but their artists have done a much better job of making the model textures in a way that hides them.

237. No subject May 19, 2003, 09:12 Xombie

How long do you think it will be before we hear the first person shout "Gravity Gun whore!"?  

236. Quantum gun May 19, 2003, 09:08 Hump

Well, these striders seem to have super-concussion-lasergun-things that can destroy buildings.

the way they bend light in a way thats similar to "gravity lensing" leads me to think that its some kind of subatomic black-hole matter dealie.

yes I read far too much sci-fi...

edit:I watched the parts of the movies where it shoots that gun and right after the appendage gets all baggy and loose

Now theres a Freudian image for ya....

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently Playing:E3 Half-Life 2 movies over and over and over...On Deck: Breed Demo (someday...) Reading: "Darwins Radio" by Greg Bear
This comment was edited on May 19, 09:13.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

235. Re: Worked for me May 19, 2003, 06:37 Midnight

I can see it now - like the Jedi Master mode in JK2. First player to score a frag becomes the Strider and then it's everyone against him. Whoever takes the Strider down becomes the new monster.

On a tangential point, how about some kind of soccer/rugby mod using that cool gavity-gun thing?

http://www.crimsondark.com

234. Re: Worked for me May 19, 2003, 04:34 seenitall

Now there's an idea, to play as a strider. Someone get busy on that mod.

233. Re: Worked for me May 19, 2003, 02:14 Ray Marden

BAH!

<waving paw>

I would still rather impale all the hUUmans on my...er...leg thingies.

Wondering where Capcom's Strider falls in all of this :o,
Ray

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
May 24th, 2000: The day I learned that Looking Glass was to be no more.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
Currently playing: Enclave, Half-Life (still the best), Rygar, and Raven Shield.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

232. Re: Worked for me May 19, 2003, 01:31 Tony!!!

The thing with the flaming skulls in Doom is, they will be flying real fast when the game is going. You probably won't notice the poly count when they are flying at you like bullets. Well, if you have the right kind of machine to run the game. If not, it won't matter anyway.

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

231. Re: Worked for me May 19, 2003, 01:14 Xombie

My Striders were better anyway, they had flamethrowers
Well, these striders seem to have super-concussion-lasergun-things that can destroy buildings.

230. Re: Worked for me May 18, 2003, 22:10 Midnight

The D3 trailer is very claustrophobic in appearance - narrow corridors, small rooms etc. I'd much rather run around in City 17 with Striders causing havok.

PS: A few years ago I had an idea for a game in which aliens were using large tripod war machines (think war of the worlds) call Striders which would cleave a path through infantry and decimate armour. I envisioned troops running in terror scrying out "STRIDER!!!" Saw the HL2 trailer and went "BAH!!!", now if I do it then nobody's going to believe that I thought of it on my own. Silly Valve and their good ideas

My Striders were better anyway, they had flamethrowers

This comment was edited on May 18, 22:11.

http://www.crimsondark.com

229. Re: Worked for me May 18, 2003, 22:00 Xombie

Nice low poly legs he's got there too.
If you also look at recent screenshots, the skullspider things also have low-poly legs, as do the top of the heads of the flying skulls (demonic skulls?).
The problem is that they're doing a very poor job of using Normal Mapping. The technique is intended to cover up the polys, while they're quite obvious in Doom 3.

348 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo