Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PlanetSide on May 20

Sony Online Entertainment sends word that PlanetSide, their MMOFPS, will launch in North America on May 20. Here's the announcement, which includes more on plans to integrate voice communication into the game:

Sony Online Entertainment Inc. (SOE), a worldwide leader in massively multiplayer online gaming, announced that its highly-anticipated massively multiplayer online first-person action game, PlanetSide(tm) will make history when it launches on May 20. The groundbreaking game will allow thousands of players to fight online in an all-hours-of-day global war that has never been seen before in the first-person action genre. The company also announced that it will add squad-based voice chat functionality to PlanetSide, further enhancing the experience of fighting together with a squad and working as a team. PlanetSide will be available on May 20, 2003 in North American retail stores.

"There has never been an online action game as ambitious as PlanetSide. We are combining a game world that can support the fast action of a first person shooter with the character growth, development and scale of an MMORPG," said Michael Lustenberger, director of product marketing at Sony Online Entertainment. "The result is a truly new and unique experience as players are immersed in battle with thousands of other people from across the country, while they hone their skills and become elite combat units."

PlanetSide has a suggested retail price of $49.99, which includes a 30-day free trial subscription to the game's online world. Additionally, the game will carry a monthly subscription fee that will be announced at a later date for continuing access to the game world. Players can subscribe for additional months using a credit card, or purchase PlanetSide 90-day Game Cards, which open the PlanetSide universe to those who choose not to use a credit card.

View
89 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

89. Re: Australian server? May 12, 2003, 15:44 Dwarf_Snowninja

I've heard that there won't, at least not initially. Same for an Asian server as well. BTW anyone else notice that the Dalton server is gone/vanished?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

88. Australian server? May 11, 2003, 20:49 Midnight

Does anyone know whether there will be a server in Australia upon release? I'm getting nasty pings from the US servers and I won't buy the game unless there are some local providers.

http://www.crimsondark.com

87. Re: big battles need big chips May 11, 2003, 20:07 Bingo

Pay per play will not work, simple as that, too many people are more than satisfied playing games like Tribes2, BF, MOH. Clan servers are everywhere always moderated, no TK's campers etc and it all makes the likes of BF1942, Tribes 2 & MOH very enjoyable.

You can't beat a 32 player game of BF1942 thats organised between 2 clans both using Teamspeak voice comms and its friggin free

86. big battles need big chips May 11, 2003, 12:03 space captain

Wait till you get about 100 or so guys running around you in close vicinity. Thats when you will realize you need some cutting edge hardware to continue playing... unless you like that slide-show effect.

But if you've got the juice, it can be pretty cool... although it IS very hard to shake the feeling that this isnt another Tribes sequel.

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

85. Re: These big battles don't exist May 11, 2003, 04:13 Wrench

I guess you maybe right. I did read about the Line thingies and it did sound better when there were less of em. I am use to geting Zerged in DaoC by 50 PC's or more, I was expecting the same thing.

84. Re: These big battles don't exist May 11, 2003, 04:03 Lactose The Intolerant

I find it no different from a 64 player tribes server, since your going to be seeing the same amount of ppl on screen. Think of it this way, you have 10 guys at the capture point, 20 guys on the battlements, 20 guys around each tower, 50 guys in the courtyard, and the rest running around outside the base. Its not like your going to turn a corner and see 50 ppl dishing it out. Now keep in mind I said TOPS, you will normally not see 200 ppl fighting for a base, but it does happen.

I am not expecting too much, planetside has showed it can hold battles in the 300-500 player range, but as I said the whiners ruined the only real purpose of planetside, to provide large scale battles.

83. Re: These big battles don't exist May 10, 2003, 23:09 Wrench

100 person battle is pretty big if you ask me 200 even on a slightly spread out area is big. Last time I checked BF1942 had at most 64 player max servers, Oh wait ever play on one well I haven't cause they suck, nothing but horid lag. A grand battle to me is 100 (no LAG) players but there are different thing involved Tanks, Airplanes, Transports ground and air, Personal combat vehicles etc. Turrets engineers land mines, etc.
Mind you DAOC has some grand battles, 300 people raid is not an uncommon thing but don't expect more then 10 frames a second. By the sounds of things you expect a little bit to much from the current technology available.

82. These big battles don't exist May 10, 2003, 22:42 Lactose The Intolerant

The ppl going around on this thread talking about massive battles are BSing you. The servers were crapping out when they had 3k played on them for stress testing. The most you see on a server is 2k, that might sound like a decent amount, but this is spread over ten continents so you only have a few hundred ppl on each one. This did not work at first since there was no front line and it just ended up to be ppl capping empty bases over and over again. Now the devs solution was to create a "lattice" system where you could only attack a adjacent base. This worked incredibly well since everyone would be concentrated on only a couple places creating the huge battles advertised. Unfortunately the whiners on the board had this modified, they argued this made squad tactics insignificant since the numbers were so high. Apparantley it never occured to anyone that a squad of ten guys should be insignificant on the battlefield and should not be able to cap a base by themselves. So it was changed, they added more links to the bases (some linked halfway across the map) and now its back to smaller scaled combat, and yes there is usually an empty base or two that is linked. So what do we have left? Tribes essentially, the combat is back to squad lvl, there really is no reason to play this game if you already have Tribes 2. The biggest battles you will see now is maybe 100-200 ppl, and keep in mind this is spread out.

This comment was edited on May 10, 22:59.

81. Re: system HOG May 10, 2003, 22:36 Wrench

I realy enjoyed this game. I play MMORPG's I love em, Played AC, JumpGate, Earth above and Beyond, DaoC, EVE, etc.. I like all those games but they always lacked the action packed moments. Planetside on the other hand is a blast because its on a grand scale FPS.

I admit BF1942 is great but it realy has some pitfalls compared to PlanetSide. I own BF1942 but I realy didn't enjoy it to much myself.

BF1942 has on par same stuff as PlanetSide but it lacks few things tho. I quit playing BF1942 1.5 months after I got it and went back to CS just because I was not to impressed with it, Liked the demo but the game just didn't turn my crank.
My pet peeves about BF1942 are:
LAG.
No grand Battles.
Vehicle/Airplane/Boat Campers.
Moron's which run ship onto the shores.
TK'ers.
Useless classes. (When is the Last time a Medic actually healed you, or engineer fixed your vehicle, Most people Kamikaze into stuff).
Lack of Descent in game Voice Comm.
Poor Frame Performance for the graphics given. (Even on My system its kinda sick.)
Finding a good server thats not always full.

PlanetSide on the other hand has solved a lot of those issues.
(Downside not free to play)
(Downside No ships, but you can get hover vehicles)
I never have to look for a server its always there and always the same PING.
Hardly any TK'rs because the consequances of TKing are pretty good. (Ie not being able shoot or drive a vehicle if you inflict to much FF)
Vehicles are unique to all three sides.
NO Vehicle/Airplane campers, every one has a chance to get a vehicle, that is if your certified.
No Useless classes, Medic's actualy heal, Engineers Fix Stuff, Snipers don't suck total butt, oh and can't forget Heavy infantry and Infiltrators.
Extremly good vid Performance for Graphics given.
Awsome in game Voice Comm.
One more thing, PlanetSide has actual commanders that people listen too, much easier to coordinate stuff.
Oh can't forget Weapons of Mass Destruction with good Command Rank.

I work with computers 10 hours a day and I frankly am not in the mood to go looking for servers with good ping and enough players after work, I like my reliability and availability of servers and guaranteed game time.

As for loosing and taking bases and have no meaning, thats not true because in PlanetSide you get Exp for them which in turn get you levels and with levels you get more certifications that allow you to do more stuff. IMHO I am willing to pay for those things the 12.95 a month fee. Its asking your self the same question would you subscribe to a news paper or read it online for free. Oh I am an official Beta Tester so I recieved CD-Roms in the mail every beta, its 2.6 gig install and I wouldn't even want to download that just to see the beta.

System Barton 2500xp @ 2.3 Gihz
Ram 1 Gig of PC3200 Samsung Ram
Seagate 7200 rpm X 2 Raid ATA
Radeon 9500 PRO @ 335/310

This comment was edited on May 10, 22:40.

80. system HOG May 10, 2003, 17:18 space captain

this game is pretty fun, and yeh it can get kinda blah if you arent in a squad all the time. But you better have a REALLY serious machine if you expect consistent fps when the shit hits the fan. Otherwise you can give up on getting into big battles and having any chance.

Other than that its pretty fun.. not nearly as precise as a normal FPS, and more strategic than role-playing. However, they better start adding content soon or people will diss it into oblivion.

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

79. Worst install ever May 10, 2003, 11:03 Midnight

Bah, I had planned to spend this weekend playing PS to get a feel for it, only to discover it takes the whole weekend jsut to install the damn game!

Extract, install, download, install, sign up for this, sign up for that, scan files, download, install, crash to desktop, fail to recognise username/login on relaunch, give up and swear at monitor.

http://www.crimsondark.com

78. Re: Maybe, maybe not. May 9, 2003, 18:50 DrEvil

Hyperblade, u forgot #4 It's still about 10 times funner.

77. Planetside beta download (gimme a break) May 9, 2003, 17:23 GreatWurm

SOE lost a lot of points from me with making the beta download only available through FilePlanet. I have to wait 6 hours just to start downloading? Come on! So I have to pay 50 bucks to get the game, plus a monthly fee, plus I have to pay to have easy access to the beta? I'll take my clan elsewhere you money-grubbing sow bags.

I already pay to belong to a few file sharing sites, I really don't feel like paying to join another one...

This comment was edited on May 9, 17:24.

76. Maybe, maybe not. May 9, 2003, 10:36 Hyperblade

Heres how I see it.

Whats the point of being able to capture territory except for better radar, spawn points etc when the main idea of territory capturing is so you can advance. Seeing as the war can never be won, then territory capturing is pretty useless in the game.

Looking at BF1942, even if it has way less players per game:
(1) You dont pay to play after initial release
(2) Capturing Territory is actually usefull because it is and advantage towards an actual outcome and you dont have to come back the next day to find you have to capture the territory all over again because your side lost it in battle. Atleast all your hard work capturing territories can get rewarded by winning the battle.
(3) There are some exapnsion packs released to keep the game fresh but aslong as its enjoyable, the game will continue to last.

I have nothing against pay to play and im not saying Planetside wont be fun because it sure looks good but when it comes down to it, you are basically just paying monthly to play a large upscale version of BF1942 but without a total outcome, ie, win the war.

Each to their own. If people feel they want to spend the money and get the enjoyment, then have fun, for the people who dont, then they dont.
This comment was edited on May 9, 10:56.

75. Re: Yay! May 8, 2003, 23:25 Virus

Those who are wondering why MMO games charge a monthly subscription should probably look into the price of bandwidth... I can tell you that bandwidth to run a server for more than 3000 people is gunna run a little bit more than your $40 a month cable/dsl. Not to mention buying the servers. And then we get to paying for a team to continually work on the game and maintain the servers. Now consider that there are around a dozen servers all over the world.

If you still don't understand why MMOGames charge a monthly subscription I advise you to enroll in an economics class.

74. Re: The game itself May 8, 2003, 21:02 DrEvil

Reagle do you work for Sony, or are you just really young?

73. Great Game May 8, 2003, 19:13 Alak

This game is a fantastic peice of gaming. I mean you can do so much and so much can happen. But soon it gets to the point of, why are we taking this base? What effect does it have overall. Mostly none really. Its more a game of Capture and Hold, much like BF1942. Take a Flag, lose a Flag. Take a Base, Loose a Base. But Planetside is more team based then most games, its hard to do anything without anyone else, much like any MMO Game. But like any MMO game, they are always improving constantly, which is worth my $25 a month. I'll play this game.

This comment was edited on May 8, 19:14.

72. Re: The game itself May 8, 2003, 18:20 [VG]Reagle

Say what you will about the game. There is no doubt its more FPS goodness. And we don't have very much of that to go around. Planetside is genius in many of its ideas in a way similar to bf1942 genius. Both are fantastic vehicular shooters. I just think that planetside a slightly more attractive place to spend my time then on a bf1942 server.

I mean the game has a lot of good things to say about it. Count me in!

As of 06/12/2014 I will ONLY post positive messages. I am done trying to tell the truth about sucky games.

71. The game itself May 7, 2003, 11:03 Tribe

Some people are going to love this game. I think those that are thinking about it deserve to be warned of the pitfalls of the game.

I'm a pretty serious gamer and have been doing it competitively for over 8 years. I'm now part of a group called TeamGroundXero, where we competed in MOHAA and are just now moving to BF1942.

I had a chance to play the beta of PlanetSide.

Fun, yes.

The large landscape and huge battles were great.

Would I pay for this experience on a monthly basis?

yes, but not what they are willing to charge me for it.

I'm open to pay to play, and I would not have said that 6 months ago. I'm open to it for the relatively cheat free environment, but the game has to be great too.

Where were you when Tribes 1 came out on Christmas eve 1998? do you remember that day?

I do.

This game called PlanetSide is very forgettable. I wanted to like it, I did. I wanted to tell my competition team, lets try this. I did.

What I ended up concluding was that the game was fun for the novice gamers. People who just want to experience big battles.

That really rounds it out.

I hope the developers can find a way to give the game a point. You'll read where people keep saying that. Who wins? etc...

Its all true gang. This thing has a replay value of a month or two, maybe more.

Price structure for me to buy the game: (and no I'm not joking)

$30 for the game $5 a month.

I'll get 3 - 6 months of play from it, but unless some serious changes are made, not much more than that.

70. Re: Wipes May 7, 2003, 10:41 Bingo

If you want to play games where cheaters are actively banned from playing the game, where the software is continualy optimised and new content is added to the game from time to time, then you have to pay for it. No BS, just Simple economics.

Erm no you don't Flashpoint is always updated so is C&CGenerals, we have Pandora 1.04 for MOH we have Punkbuster for RTCW all free!

You then said
Thats my point - you pay $9 for event that lasts 90 minutes. $10+ to an MMORPG gets you an unlimited amount

No I pay 34.99 for MOH, BF1942, RTCW, OFP all of which I still play now, I pay $15 for music CD's all of which I can listen to anytime I like without having to pay the recording studio a subscription. Sorry but your case is weak, flawed and your examples are not even factual. Face the facts, the subscription is to line the publishers pockets and it's people like you that encourage them to do so. If we all told them to stick it up their asses and also avoided game publishers with feeble support then maybe the gaming industry would get of it's lazy ass and start producing a service thats value for money.

89 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo