Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PlanetSide on May 20

Sony Online Entertainment sends word that PlanetSide, their MMOFPS, will launch in North America on May 20. Here's the announcement, which includes more on plans to integrate voice communication into the game:

Sony Online Entertainment Inc. (SOE), a worldwide leader in massively multiplayer online gaming, announced that its highly-anticipated massively multiplayer online first-person action game, PlanetSide(tm) will make history when it launches on May 20. The groundbreaking game will allow thousands of players to fight online in an all-hours-of-day global war that has never been seen before in the first-person action genre. The company also announced that it will add squad-based voice chat functionality to PlanetSide, further enhancing the experience of fighting together with a squad and working as a team. PlanetSide will be available on May 20, 2003 in North American retail stores.

"There has never been an online action game as ambitious as PlanetSide. We are combining a game world that can support the fast action of a first person shooter with the character growth, development and scale of an MMORPG," said Michael Lustenberger, director of product marketing at Sony Online Entertainment. "The result is a truly new and unique experience as players are immersed in battle with thousands of other people from across the country, while they hone their skills and become elite combat units."

PlanetSide has a suggested retail price of $49.99, which includes a 30-day free trial subscription to the game's online world. Additionally, the game will carry a monthly subscription fee that will be announced at a later date for continuing access to the game world. Players can subscribe for additional months using a credit card, or purchase PlanetSide 90-day Game Cards, which open the PlanetSide universe to those who choose not to use a credit card.

View
89 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

69. Re: Wipes May 7, 2003, 10:04 Falling

"You quote $9 to see a movie, weak comparisome as movies are one off events, planetside is a monthly subscription and if I go to movies once a month its not to see the same move. Same for video rental"

Thats my point - you pay $9 for event that lasts 90 minutes. $10+ to an MMORPG gets you an unlimited amount.

I'm not saying that this isn't a ploy to make money on the publisher/developer's part - it is. It's business pure and simple.

As for cheats and additional content - there will always be cheating but mmorpgs don't have it at nearly the level that your standard FPSs, RTSs and Diablo style games do simply because the publisher won't support them at the level that an MMORPG offers support.

The reason that the Internet itself, and to some degree game developers (not publishers or retailers) are in a bad spot is because they've given away too much. If you want to play games where cheaters are actively banned from playing the game, where the software is continualy optimised and new content is added to the game from time to time, then you have to pay for it. No BS, just Simple economics.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

68. All u moaners May 7, 2003, 08:35 Tetsugaku-San

Heres a thought, if you don't like planetside - don't play it!

Easy when u think about it eh?

http://www.dreamscapevirus.com
200 PlanetSide Clan Members and Counting

[img]http://host.meeb.net/tets/SPACE.GIF[/img]

67. Re: Player Wipe May 6, 2003, 23:03 Fungu

I dunno, but if it gives me a nice free trial experience I'll take the burden off your hands.

66. Re: Player Wipe May 6, 2003, 22:23 DrEvil

I'm calling bullshit on pretty much that whole post. #1 its nowhere close to being better than bf1942, but since thats a matter of opinion, you're free to believe that. But the 10,000 player battle is just a big fat pile of bullshit.

#1 I'm pretty sure the servers are limited to much less than that, though I could be wrong.
#2 There is not a chance in hell, that the game would remain playable with over 150-200 players in a battle at once, even on the highest end machine, much less 10k.

If you mean't a 10k player war, meaning you're counting everyone on the server as part of it, and the server supports that, you should have specified, but the term battle implies to me that you are talking about that many people in a battle within one certain area. Not only that but since in the couple weeks I gave it an honest chance, I didn't see or hear of any battles where there was participation above the typical max fps server limit. I've played 128 player Tribes 2 games. I bet it is a rarity to see even that in PS. And the maps being 1k x 1k means nothing more than theres alot of empty space, which I saw far too much of during my play.

I've played it, and it feels nothing like a real fps, but again thats my opinion. But if you are going to bullshit your reasons for liking a game, at least list some valid points.

PS. Is it legal to give away my PS beta key, so that someone else can possibly enjoy it?

This comment was edited on May 6, 22:41.

65. Re: Player Wipe May 6, 2003, 22:07 [VG]Reagle

PlanetSide is worth the money. The game itself if 10 times the game bf1942. And that takes nothing away from bf1942. Planetside is simpily the very best of the best. And yes it deserves every bit of money they get. Think bf1942 with a mch richer game world, better communication and a whole bunch of working items to use in battles. Of yah and 10,000 player battles.

You all know you can have 10,000 player battles right. In bf1942 its 64 player max. In planetside you see battles you can not believe are happeining.

Oh and the maps are 1000 x 1000 miles long. Those of you saying its not worth the money are obviously not fans of FPS. Becuase any FPS fan would just have to play it a bit just to see what a battle that size really feel like.

The First Newell
Gabe's Watching
[VG]Reagle Beagle

64. Re: Wipes May 6, 2003, 19:52 Fungu

Exactly.

What you are doing with games like this is you are buying the chance to rent a game so you can actually play it with other people (Wording carefully 'cause I'm unsure about the SP component). No thanks. What if you bought a CD and then had to pay a dollar for every time you wanted to listen to a song? Or the same with a book, but 5 dollars for every chapter? It's greed at it's best, but naive people let the companies get away with it.

Look at UO, it's got a huge and well developed FREE server community. Sphere works great, it may not be up to par with the official server, but it's pretty damned good. If these companies would wipe the dollar signs from their eyes and release the dedicated server node/shard software to the users we could all be happy. Look at Valve and their recent VAC introduction. Yeah, it may not be too great right now, but it's not their fault, they are working with an old engine. The new in-house engine will give them much more control, especially with VAC implimented from the get-go. The point of that example is to show that companies can release their server software to the public and still take care of their customers. Vac has an auto-update, so could PlanetSide's or any other games. Valve still patches Half-Life. People like to call it milking, I like to call it an intelligent business decision.

Monthly subscriptions are all about greed, that is it. All these other excuses are just that, excuses. If enough of us stand up against the publishers who make these decisions then things might change, but I doubt that will happen as obviously a lot of people are videogame addicts (And I mean a real illness) and couldn't stand not playing.

[edit] Just woke up and already hit my typo quota, yeesh.
This comment was edited on May 6, 20:23.

63. Re: Irony indeed May 6, 2003, 16:47 Creston

hate to say it, but this sounds just like the launch for Tribes2 all over again...and not in a good way...and who was in charge of both of these projects???

Sony is in charge of PS, and Sierra was in charge of Tribes 2, so I fail to see your point?

Creston

62. Re: Wipes May 6, 2003, 16:40 Bingo

You quote $9 to see a movie, weak comparisome as movies are one off events, planetside is a monthly subscription and if I go to movies once a month its not to see the same move. Same for video rental.

$15 for a CD, yes but you get the keep it and listen to it forever, u don't have to pay $15 every month just to hear it. Same for the paperback book.

I also do not count patches and support as additional services, I would class them as standard services. Cheat free gaming LMAO, are u from this planet?

I think you need to wake and and see that what you are paying for is total and utter BS.

61. Irony indeed May 6, 2003, 16:06 Horribilus

I hate to say it, but this sounds just like the launch for Tribes2 all over again...and not in a good way...and who was in charge of both of these projects???

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

60. Re: Wipes May 6, 2003, 15:05 Falling

Bingo - I did say many, not all. Obviously those with multiplayer components have a higher replay value. The point I'm making here is that $10 isn't that much money when you put it in context with other forms of entertainment. $9 to see a movie, $15 for a CD, $8.95 for a paperback book, $3 for a video rental...I could go on but I'm sure you see where I'm coming from. I find that the additional services provided by the developers - monthly content updates, relativly cheat free gameplay, access to customer support, and a strong player communnity, add enough value to the product to warrent what is actually a modest monthly payment.

59. Re: Wipes May 6, 2003, 13:23 Bingo

Entertain you for a month???? Are you nuts? I have been playing MOHAA on-line since it came out, its class on the clan scene, no 2 battles are the same. And BF1942 is just amazing on-line especially http://bf1942.battleforeurope.com/ its like a MMOFPS but without the stupid subscription.

58. Wipes May 6, 2003, 10:07 Fingers M

Oh yea the characters will be wiped this week and they certainly will be wiped before release.

57. No subject May 6, 2003, 09:46 rajajujuman

Please dont quote me on this, but I remember the devs saying something about the continuing storyline waaaaayyy back in 99, when the game was announced. It has to do with the aliens that left the respawn technology... maybe they come back or something. They could have totally scrapped those plans, but recently the devs said they already have enough content additions planned out to last through October. Whether that means 2 guns and a tank, or a whole lot more - I couldnt say. But, you cant deny the fact that the practically non-existent storyline has so much open space they could pretty much do whatever they wanted.

56. Re: nice May 6, 2003, 09:22 Fingers M

hey DSV did you forget about SG, we are at 392 members currently and thats just for PS. As for the rest of the comments you all seem to be judging PS just on the monthly fee and not the game itself. I dont know what dream world you live on, but P2P is pretty much a given with any MMO. It shouldnt be a surprise. As for me I cancelled my ww2ol account and will be shifting that payment to PS. Im having too much fun playing with my group to stop now. I will agree there are some issues with the game, but they arnt very large issues and dont intefere with my enjoyment of the game. There is skill in the game. Its a different type of skill than the normal FPS though, you just have to play the game to figgure it out. Also its allot more fun with an organized group.

NC Forever

55. Re: PS May 6, 2003, 08:53 Falling

Ethic -
Here's how I rationalize it - $10-$15 bucks a month buys you an infinite amount of entertainement. You can't say that about going to the movies or buying a CD. Many games that you buy for $40-$50 bucks entertain you for a month and then you move on to the next one. In my view, MMORPGs save you money because you aren't necessarily buying a new game every month to entertain yourself. $50 for the first month and then $15/month for every month after that. I'm currently only paying for one MMORPG - Anarchy Online.

This last month however I have beta tested EVE, Star Wars Galaxies and Planetside. Of those three, Planetside is in the best shape.

On topic - I think PS is a pretty good game. I'm not sure I'll buy it right away just to see if the devs add enough new content on a regular basis to make it different from BF1942. To me, FP shooters are like candy - great stuff in limited quantities but after a steady diet of it your teeth start to hurt. If PS can add some depth to the gameplay, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

54. Re: nice May 6, 2003, 08:32 Steelcamp

I would have to agree. Battlefield has help people realize that team work is a good property to a game and PlanetSide has improved on that. I will pay the subscription fee to play this....I have been on the Beta for 6 weeks and minus the client crashes (that have been fixed) I have enjoyed going into huge battles with my teammates. I die I can come right back....COOL!

----
LIFE, LIBERTY AND THE PURSUIT OF THOSE WHO THREATEN IT!

-------------------------------------------
3 billion+ men in the world and my sisters keep going back to the idiots...

53. Re: PS May 6, 2003, 08:22 ethic

I think I'm going to get it. I hate the idea of subscribing to games, but if the comparisons to Tribes (which is my all-time favorite PC game) are true, I'm willing to subscribe. Besides, I've felt like I've been missing out on this Mass-Multiplayer craze...

I wish companies would start selling subscriptions as packages instead of individually. $10/month for ever Sony Online game (Everquest, PlanetSide, Star Wars: Galaxies) is more than worth it. But $10 each?

Do you MMOGamers limit yourself to subscribing to one game at a time, or do you subscribe to multiple games at once? I just don't think I'd be able to afford that (especially when I consider how much I spend on offline, console games)..

52. Re: nice May 6, 2003, 07:47 Tetsugaku-San

Yay I was in that battle

(Oh BTW, I'm in DreamScapeVirus - Largest Planetside clan with 200 members, we love this game, and we're old enough to not worry about a tenner a month for a game thats patched ontime, has live GM's to get rid of griefers, isn't full of l337 kiddies, offers huge battle experiances no other game does and looks like the bomb)

http://www.dreamscapevirus.com

[img]http://host.meeb.net/tets/SPACE.GIF[/img]
This comment was edited on May 6, 07:49.

51. nice May 6, 2003, 07:27 Hump

all I know is since they implemented the lattice system the game has changed tremendously ....for the better.

Great battle the other day as we (TR) pushed back VS from the continent facility by facility right to their warp gate at which point they couldnt make it out of the protective dome and finally gave up and allowing us to lock our continent down.

I dont know of any non-MMOG that could support such battles.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently Playing: PS beta On Deck: Breed Demo Reading: Stephen Baxters "Manifold" series

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

50. Re: No subject May 6, 2003, 06:53 Bingo

So there u have it, the vast majority seem to think that once you buy your game in the shop you should not have to pay extra money just to play the damn thing when you get home. £9.99 a month is not much, only £119.88 a year + the £34.99 for the game £154.87. For this money u can buy a ATi9500Pro or an X-Box or a PS2 and have change in your pocket for a night out at the movies with your bitch. I know what I would rather do!

89 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo