Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Elite Force II Demo

As promised (story), the demo for Star Trek Elite Force II is now available, offering a sampling of the upcoming shooter sequel in the works at Ritual Entertainment. The demo offers two single-player missions, but is based on pre-release code, and therefore might not be completely indicative of gameplay in the finished product. The 119 MB download can be found on 3D Downloads, 3D Gamers, EliteForceFiles, FilePlanet (registration required), FileShack (registration required), Happy Puppy (registration required), and Worthplaying.

View
91 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

51. L337 fOrc3 May 3, 2003, 08:53 Hump

If its a fun game, regardless of originality, I'll buy it and play it....end of story.

now back to the topic at hand....

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently Playing: PS beta On Deck: Breed Demo Reading: Stephen Baxters "Manifold" series

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

50. Re: No subject May 3, 2003, 06:00 .Drifter

with that said, give me a reason to spend my time coming up with suggestions and paradigms for a good game and I will gladly sit down and do what I can and throw in my part but I simply can not sacrifice that time and energy at this point in my life without knowing it would be worth it. To contradict myself, its a risk I can not make but then I dont claim to be a game dev

Ok, lemme get this right. The devs should sacrifice their time and energy, and take risks. Yet you yourself refuse to.
Don't expect others to do what you yourself are not willing to, and then complain about it.

This comment was edited on May 3, 06:02.

49. Re: Black textures? May 3, 2003, 05:32 Ant

TimothyB: Thank you very much! Now, the game is a lot better.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

48. Re: No subject May 3, 2003, 04:50 John

give me a reason to spend my time coming up with suggestions and paradigms for a good game and I will gladly sit down and do what I can and throw in my part but I simply can not sacrifice that time and energy at this point in my life without knowing it would be worth it.

Because you spend your time and energy on ranting instead?

This space is available for rent

47. Re: No subject May 3, 2003, 04:33 wasrad

1: Believe me, if I had the money to fund something, I would. In my life outside of my hobby, I am not capable of doing this. If I were not doing what I am doing and could take, say, 6 months to design a game that I knew would be made, I would do it and I would do a damn good job of it. That is not the reality of the situation.

2. I dont really feel the devs are losers, I just feel there should be...a creativity union maybe? Something that keeps the publishers in check and in their fucking place.

5. If I was in the posistion to lead instead of bitching and ranting, I would. I am not, though, and what I am doing is, well, what I want to do for a living. Gaming is a hobby for me, not my life, but it still means alot to me.

4. Everything in the third paragraph, I know.

I think it would be very fucing awsome if devs everywhere just went on strike until there was some type of creative freedom.

with that said, give me a reason to spend my time coming up with suggestions and paradigms for a good game and I will gladly sit down and do what I can and throw in my part but I simply can not sacrifice that time and energy at this point in my life without knowing it would be worth it. To contradict myself, its a risk I can not make but then I dont claim to be a game dev. In order to fix things, though, you have to know whats wrong and I am simply putting forth into the world what i feel is wrong in hopes that SOMEONE will see it and say "Ya know, he has a point".

This comment was edited on May 3, 04:35.

46. Re: Black textures? May 3, 2003, 04:03 TimothyB

If you get black textures, turn off vertex lighting, that causes it.

45. Re: No subject May 3, 2003, 03:54 Quaternion

wasrad... you don't know what you can do about it? Want me to tell you? How about well thought out suggestions instead of rants? Or how about putting your money where your mouth is showing all us dev losers how it needs to be done? Make a killer game and put it on the market! Do that and I'll eat my shorts.

It's really fun and easy to bitch and rant, but it doesn't solve anything. It just creates animosity and gets people pissed at eachother. If you want to change stuff, you have to use your mind and find solutions... not bitch at others and try to get them to find the solutions that you yourself won't even bother researching. Lead by example, not by bitching.

I'll try to explain the economic situation in the industry right now. Devs would love to create innovative titles. Publishers, however, have the money and therefore the power. And they're relunctant to take risks... Extremely reluctant. Most games don't make money. Publishers stay in business, usually because of a handfull of extremely popular titles and they lose money or break even on about 90% of their games. A decade ago, the solution was to start your own independant studio and finance the game yourself. These days, game budgets are in the 8 digit range, so it's almost impossible for a new studio to make something competitive and stay alive. You can get financing from 3rd parties, but let me tell you, anyone who gives you millions of dollars will want a say in what goes in the game, whether they know what they're doing or not. And it's usually 'not'. We're as frustrated as you are. Games used to be developed by a couple of guys in a basement. It didn't cost much money, so people could be self funded. It's impossible to do this now. There's quite a difference between pac-man and something like NOLF2. People expect the state of the art 3D engine, the Dolby Pro Logic 2 audio, the cinematics, the extensive game and level design (pac-man doesn't have much in level design) because people don't want to pay 50$ for 10 hours of gameplay. All that stuff requires a lot of time and money. It's not something 2 guys can do with a 30000$ budget.

But you're right. Publishers are capitalists. That's what they are because they're corporations with stocks and that means they have shareholders (the general public) and boards of directors who care about making money.

44. Black textures? May 3, 2003, 03:38 Ant

Do any of you getting black textures on doors, floor, etc.? I don't have this problem in other games. I am using a LeadTek GeForce4 Ti4200 card with the newest NVIDIA driver.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
This comment was edited on May 3, 03:41.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

43. No subject May 3, 2003, 03:04 teh mane mahn

"I guess I need to just stop living in the past and face the fact that the gaming industry has gone from being run by artists to being run by producionists, capitolists and people who don't give a flying fuck about our hobby."

I don't think you should succumb to this bullshit. I know I won't.

Half-Life, Unreal, Final Fantasy and other games certainly come to mind when you discuss this philosophy. This thought process has certainly crippled my view and experience of the gaming industry in general.

_____

The possible pain, suffering and sacrifice of discovery are by no means an excuse to remain ignorant.

The bartering of things sought earned are by a means which only little men can abide by and hope to achieve.

42. Re: As much as I bitch... May 3, 2003, 02:07 CableGuy

I used to use the Wireless Intellimouse Explorer, which also had thumb buttons, and I found far fewer games had problems with the thumb buttons than when I used the MX700 w/ Logitech's own drivers. However, now that I use XP's drivers, I'm back to the level of compatibility the Explorer had. Pretty sad. I emailed Logitech about it a few times, to no avail. Sad, the MX700 is far more sensitive than Microsoft's wireless stuff, which is rather important with what I play. Anybody out there use the Bluetooth Microsoft mouse? I was thinking of picking that up, especially since I need a Bluetooth hub anyway.

41. Re: Lockup May 3, 2003, 00:37 Ingen_Jegger

Dont you just love it when you download a demo, install it, then get hard lockups?

Tried this demo on 3 of my PC's and all of them lockup during the "loading media" phase, just after the background music starts. Thankfully I only wasted 120mb

40. Re: As much as I bitch... May 3, 2003, 00:29 John

Huh.. I've noticed many games that didn't recognize the thumb buttons on my mouse. I've got a Logitech mouse now with the latest Logitech drivers, however the XP drivers I used before weren't any better. Most games didn't recognize the thumb buttons on my old MS mouse either, though.

39. As much as I bitch... May 3, 2003, 00:17 CableGuy

... I liked this one. Not groundbreaking, but elegant, slick, and polished. I might actually buy this game, even though Trek lost its steam somewhere after First Contact. The assault rifle doesn't really give good feedback for hits, though. Is it a shotgun-style spread or something akin to a single-shot rifle? Also, it's not recognizing my thumb buttons on my mouse, which I usually use for alt-fire. Hope they fix that. I have a Logitech MX-700, though I just run it with the XP drivers since Logitech's own don't work well with most games, and so half the time you couldn't use the thumb buttons. This is the first game I've had button recognition problems since I stopped using Logitech's drivers.

38. Re: No subject May 2, 2003, 23:36 John

Yeah, but what can we do? Unless you're in the business, you can't do anything. The game devs will continue to build the games how they like and us gamers will continue to buy them.

I admit there hasn't been any good FPS games released recently (at least IMO). That's one reason I've been mainly playing RTS and RPG games the past few months or so. I'm looking forward to some of the upcomming FPS's though.. we'll just have to wait and see how they turn out.

37. Re: No subject May 2, 2003, 22:51 jienn

I happend to agree with #36, alot of energy is wasted on bad products as alot of companies follow the same pattern...

36. No subject May 2, 2003, 22:22 wasrad

Then I call for a revolution in the gaming industry.

To quote one of my favorite movies, Sometimes you just gotta say "What the fuck" and take a risk.

I am sick of the cowardice in this industry.

I am sick of the hype.

I am sick of the masses settling for less and actually buying into the marketing.

What can I do about it? I don't fucking know and if anyone does, please tell me. All I can do right now, is this. Bitch, rant, be a troll, whatever.

I understand that sometimes a devolper has to occasionaly do the money maker to make the masterpiece, the film industry works the same. The problem I see here, is that the devs make the money, waste it and then get stuck needing more money so in turn they have to make another crappy title and it is like they dont learn and, more importantly, they seem to forget why they started making games in the first place. It is this disgusting cycle and no one other than an anonymous poster is willing to admidt this.

This makes me sick.

Oh well, though. I have had wonderful experiences from Zork to Leather Goddesses of Phobos to Sam & Max and so on and so forth. I guess I need to just stop living in the past and face the fact that the gaming industry has gone from being run by artists to being run by producionists, capitolists and people who don't give a flying fuck about our hobby.

:-\

35. did you ever think that perhaps..... May 2, 2003, 21:28 elmagoo

Just to make a simple point, did you ever think that instead of succumbing to the marketing hype and all that capitalistic poop, that perhaps those people actually like to play games like that and that's why they continue to buy them? Deer Hunter is a top seller, I personally don't like it at all, but I highly doubt people succumbed to any kind of marketing or capitalistic hype on that game.

What you like in a game is exactly that, what 'you' like in a game. Developers and publishers have to eat and pay rent, so they tend to stick on the safe side when it comes to game types. But to stick on the 'safe' side also means that many people are still buying, playing, and most likely enjoying those types of games. If those 'fooled' people played the game and had a great experience, then they got their money's worth now didn't they? Look at how many clone games dont' sell well, there's quite a few.

It's all relative. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Simple as that. Your dollar has more speaking power than your mouth. When games don't sell, the publishers don't look into making those types of games. That's the way capitalism works. Pretty much everybody on the planet wants whatever relative legal tender their country provides, so therefore those markets are all going to be driven by what sells. If you really want to change the way games get made and what games get a shot and a chance taken on them, you'll need to start at a much deeper level than the developers. That's society and the way it is right now.

34. No subject May 2, 2003, 21:24 wasrad

Touche.

33. Re: No subject May 2, 2003, 20:22 Dr.Haggard

Believe it or not you are not the only person in the world who has, at some time or other, become bored and jaded by the constant stream of banal, derivative and uninspiring games we have to put up with. You'll get over it, it's a phase.

Your problem is your choice of time and place to have your little rant was rather misguided, since although this demo doesn't exactly challenge the Thiefs, System Shocks, Deus Ex's and Half Lifes of the world, no one here actually raved about it either. No one showed much beyond mild interest and slightly reserved approval, and some even hinted at its mediocrity.

So really you'd be better off going and finding yourself a Red Faction\Daikatana\Unreal 2\blah forum and telling those slightly misguided people all about your wonderful new thinking

32. Re: No subject May 2, 2003, 19:56 wasrad

I am not a game developer, I am a game player who, unlike alot of new people to this form of art, is sick and tired of settling for less, settling for pure shit.

If I could start a boycot, I would but the majority of people are apparently lemmings who actually belive the PR bullshit.

Right now, this is the only voice I have. The devs can take or leave it as they please but at this rate, people are eventually going to end up getting bored with gaming and find something new. Hell, I have found myself actually playing AD&D lately its so bad and I cant stand AD&D but it keeps my imagination stimulated and entertained alot more than 94.2% of the games released in the past 5 years.

This comment was edited on May 2, 19:58.

91 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo