Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Elite Force II Demo

As promised (story), the demo for Star Trek Elite Force II is now available, offering a sampling of the upcoming shooter sequel in the works at Ritual Entertainment. The demo offers two single-player missions, but is based on pre-release code, and therefore might not be completely indicative of gameplay in the finished product. The 119 MB download can be found on 3D Downloads, 3D Gamers, EliteForceFiles, FilePlanet (registration required), FileShack (registration required), Happy Puppy (registration required), and Worthplaying.

View
91 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

91. Re: No subject May 9, 2003, 15:58 zamfear

Ya, a union will work, LMAO!. It will be as effective as Hollywoods screen writer's guild. We all know how original and innovative their work is...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

90. Re: No subject May 8, 2003, 18:10 Pentadact

Damn. I'm in my third year of a maths degree at the moment, it makes the little mistakes more embarrassing.

89. Re: No subject May 8, 2003, 11:51 Troll

> lol... inequality

What is so funny about that? That is the proper term:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Inequality.html

88. No subject May 7, 2003, 21:04 teh mane mahn

lol... inequality  
_____

The possible pain, suffering and sacrifice of discovery are by no means an excuse to remain ignorant.

The bartering of things sought earned are by a means which only little men can abide by and hope to achieve.

87. Re: No subject May 7, 2003, 17:48 Troll

>I'm expecting Deus Ex 2 to be God too, and I agree with the equation.

If you are refering to this:

>> Warren Spector + Ion Storm > id + ritual + raven x 100

It is an inequality, rather than an equation.

86. Re: No subject May 7, 2003, 09:12 Pentadact

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

I am expecting there to be the odd investigative mission in Elite Force 2, but I'm willing to bet the gameplay is going to be very predominantly action-shooter, waves-of-aliens type stuff. Anyway, let's hope the story helps justify the mission types and ties it into a more Star Trek universe.

I'm expecting Deus Ex 2 to be God too, and I agree with the equation.

85. Re: No subject May 5, 2003, 16:41 Jaz

Elite Force II is set on the Enterprise....only one mission is set on Voyager. You seem to think Elite Force II is unStarTrek, the demo is only 2 of 70 mission in it.

I personally loved the Pre-Release demo, it seems alot different from the original of which I never found anything 'special' other than the normal FPS's.

84. Re: Pentadact + others May 5, 2003, 15:36 -SI-Optimus

You ARE on the Enterprise-E now... you see it at the start of the first demo level... the shuttle emerges from her...

I know the first mission is set onboard Voyager, so maybe the menu is a placeholder for a more complex one in the works...

And the game is now officially just Star Trek : Elite Force 2...

83. No subject May 5, 2003, 12:56 wasrad

Deus Ex 2 is going to make me its bitch, I am sure.

IM playing through DE for the 4th time, now and am still having new things happen, its great.

Warren Spector + Ion Storm > id + ritual + raven x 100

82. Re: No subject May 5, 2003, 09:30 Pentadact

Oh, also: I'm going to miss the choice to play a female character. I can only imagine they took this out because they wanted to take a romance plot line further than they did in the first one, but that just makes it worse - the flirting in the first one was great if you were playing as the female Alex.

It looks like we have to turn to Deus Ex 2 for some Alex/Alex fun now.

81. Re: No subject May 5, 2003, 09:27 Pentadact

To me it seems like games are just one level down from an acceptable compromise between safe bets and innovation - Elite Force 2 -is- much better than Unreal 2, from the demos, but it's just the arcadey, endless-waves-of-aliens, energy-weapons-blazing type of thing you'd expect from Unreal 2. A Star Trek game should be something different, not just for the sake of originality, but for the sake of the license - I don't remember seeing many shotguns and machineguns in Star Trek, but because it's an FPS they had to put them in, or their thinly disguised energy equivalents.

I would have loved to have seen a game where you play an actual Starfleet officer like in everything else Star Trek, not some armoured, tooled-up action game version of one. You could choose science, medical, security, engineering or command, and only security would get a weapon other than a phaser, and that would just be the phase-rifles. Your tricorders would be different - you could heal people and yourself with a medical tricorder, analyse your surroundings better with a science one, etc. You'd have to investigate places and decide what to do, rather than just hold down fire when the aliens appear from nowhere. The view modes were a nice idea, but don't make much sense (what does the tricorder do, replace your eyes?), and in the demo are only used to highlight the painfully obvious, the trick that's was old by the end of Duke Nukem 3D - there's a crack in that, blow it up!

Unreal 2 should have been like this - the absurd energy shotgun - however un-Star Trek - is satisfying to use, and the enemies react well to being blown up, flying back or exploding. Sadly Unreal 2 was a whole level less original, and Elite Force 2 has little to do with Star Trek - none of the aliens, completely different weapons, showers-of-gore gameplay, they didn't even let you have a normal Starfleet uniform. It's not a bad game, just like the first one wasn't, but it's sad to see a license with so much potential - potential specifically suited to a first person game - thrown away and replaced with generic arcade mediocrity that completely ignores it.

PS. I think the plot of Elite Force 2 is going to explain the apparent presence of Picard, and the fact that the shuttle is Enterprise, but in general, the first and the second game are primarily set on Voyager - the full title is Star Trek: Voyager: Elite Force 2.

80. Re: No subject May 5, 2003, 06:23 vacs

If EF2 had been release 2 years ago, it would have been quite impressive. =P

Oh I fixed the textures being all black, it was vertex lighting for some reason, oh well it looks better with it off. (i generaly just click everything to on =P )

agreed, the game feels exactly like Fakk II, EF1 or Sin. But unfortunately that type of gameplay seems a bit outdated in 2003. Same thing for U2 which just tries to rip off Giants - Citizen Kabuto RTS missions but in very poor way...

Developpers have to try harder when designing their games or their games will be forgotten the day they come out much like the Adam Sandler movies (with the exception of Punch Drunk Love which is one of the better movies from last year).

Considering the vertex lighting, this was an option in the original Q3A to speed up rendering for slower graphiccards but today it really doesn't make any sense to continue including it in Q3A engine based games...

This comment was edited on May 5, 06:27.

79. No subject May 4, 2003, 20:52 Nonicknameforme

If EF2 had been release 2 years ago, it would have been quite impressive. =P

Oh I fixed the textures being all black, it was vertex lighting for some reason, oh well it looks better with it off. (i generaly just click everything to on =P )

"I'm too much of a narcisist to really hate stupid people."

78. Re: No subject May 4, 2003, 20:03 Senn

The phaser does leave marks on the walls, its not black, its actually a glowy energy effect that looks really cool. Melted molten metal looking...

77. Re: STEF2 May 4, 2003, 15:00 Ratty

This demo is neat, nothing more. Not groundbreaking, spectacular or innovating
Yup, but what did you expect? It looks to be far superior to the original though. THANK YOU for creating those classy true 3D in-game cutscenes instead of the blurry low res videos they did for EF1. That really bugged me with the original. Also they say it'll be TWICE as long. THANK YOU for that too! This time we'll be able to visit planets. Yay! This Munro is looking pretty studly with that devastating little dimple planted firmly in his chin. Yumm mmm! I'll probably masturbate at least once while playing it.

Things I *did* like about the original: the evil universe level and TOS ships and interiors. The Captain Proton holodeck level.

76. Re: No subject May 4, 2003, 12:06 human

"wasrad" said:
I dont claim to be a developer, it is not my job.

It's also why you have no credibility, spouting the kind of deluded naive shit you do. You're just another clueless kiddie tilting at windmills and preaching to the choir.

This comment was edited on May 4, 12:06.

75. Re: No subject May 4, 2003, 09:14 rock climber

sinitallia maybe your trident 1 megabyte gfx board doesnt support decals.

besides, wall marks are one thing, decals are other completely different u dumb shit fucker 12 yrs kiddie.

This comment was edited on May 4, 09:16.

--
cock climber aka rock climber

74. Re: fix for Radeon users... if havin trouble May 4, 2003, 09:12 rock climber

Buchanan ?

Are you related with Mitch ??

LOL u suck dude

--

73. joost schuur May 4, 2003, 09:07 rock climber

are u just sure that gamespy sucks big red monkey ass?

man, now this hit the bells!

--

72. Re: Realistic Expectations May 4, 2003, 08:12 TangledThorns

E.T. is infamous! It's a perfect example of what not to do.

ET rocked ya n00b! Sike, jk about it being rocked. I had that game when I was about 10 and it sure gave me head aches back then.

91 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo