Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Tech Bits

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. ESR wrote about ie May 3, 2003, 04:22 ssh

Fairly interesting stuff:

http://www.opensource.org/sco-vs-ibm.html

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. No subject May 2, 2003, 16:33 Nonicknameforme

It bothers me to no ends Cnet called nano-tubes, "one dimensional."

Not suprising considering its cnet, whom are usualy dumbing down things for the masses. This just seems like such a Glaring example.

"I'm too much of a narcisist to really hate stupid people."

5. No subject May 2, 2003, 16:13 rock climber

> Squeezing light from nanotubes.

how about squeezing milk from non pregnant hoes' tits.

i've seen it happening and THAT IS something to talk about.

--
cock climber aka rock climber

4. What's actually going on May 2, 2003, 15:32 Ryvar

What's actually going on here is that SCO, a sinking ship financially, is trying to get IBM to buy them out. It's basically just blackmail. Even if there is anything to the claims, Linux isn't really in any real danger - IBM will just buy them out to shut them up and life procedes as before.

(IBM contributes substantial amounts of code to Linux, btw)

As to how Linux started/what it is:

Linux was written by Linus Torvalds, a Finn, in his basement as his own little project, with some slight basis/inspiration from Minix. The GNU Public License is a sort of viral-freedom software license that essentially states you can do anything you want with the software, but you must provide any modified versions of the software free to everyone. The idea is that everybody can use it without charge for any reason and nobody can yell about software patents or try to stop them - if Adolf Hitler wanted to run gas chambers with it, so be it. The GNU project was essentially trying to recreate most of UNIX but hadn't finished creating the core component - the kernel. That happened to be exactly what Linus had written. So he put the kernel he wrote (Linux) under the GPL, and the basis of the rest of the system comes from the GNU project's software.

The only real weakness to this approach is that companies who don't want the source code to their products on display, but still need to use some bit of code that is under the GPL are essentially screwed, and this is where the BSD license comes in.

The BSD license essentially states 'give the authors of the code credit, and otherwise do whatever the hell you want with this code.' Thus companies likes Microsoft infinitely prefer the BSD license. Now, BSD doesn't get a tenth the attention Linux does in the open source world because it's a much slower, painstaking collaboration of bits of code that are now considered 'perfected', for all intents and purposes. The end result is that there is much less BSD software than Linux software, and it doesn't ever have as many features, but what's there is usually far more secure, stable, and 'perfect' for lack of a better word.

There are three BSD kernels, each of which comes with one distribution of utilities - OpenBSD (for security freaks), NetBSD (runs on over 65 platforms - for instance the i386 would be one platform, the PowerPC chip from IBM would be another platform), and FreeBSD (performance/user friendly).

OpenBSD is about the best operating system possible if you want to make an incredible firewall out of your older computers, for instance.

Linux only comes with ONE kernel that everybody uses (but patches differently), but over 150 different standard distributions of utilities/apps are available.

Hope some of you found all this informative,
--Ryv

3. Re: heheh.. May 2, 2003, 14:51 World war 3

Torvalds started Linux, after that a lot of people contributed.. Appearantly SCO is working on a story that some of those contributers closely involved to the project ripped code from Unix and put it in various parts of the Linux kernel.
And because they don't want to sue some bumless open source hobo, they're sueing IBM specifically.

_______________________ __ _

http://www.worldwar3.cjb.net Updated December 25th

http://www.worldwar3.cjb.net Updated April 17th 2009

2. Re: heheh.. May 2, 2003, 14:40 Cholma

The Ubersoft Help Desk joked about this for a few days last week:
http://www.ubersoft.net/d/20030424.html

Not being a Linux user, I'm confused about something though; I thought Linux was created by a Scandinavian named Linus Thorvald (sp?) and that it was freeware. Is SCO saying he used UNIX code, or that IBM has modified the original Linux code for resale and used UNIX code in it?

1. heheh.. May 2, 2003, 13:15 [NM]AdamW

i love cnet.

i read their story about SCO's BS accusations.

looked at the bottom, where they helpfully have a panel giving the stock prices of all the companies quoted in stories they write.

red hat?

up.

ibm?

up.

sco?

down.

tells the whole story of what's going on here =)

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo