Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Galaxies Contracts?

No accompanying announcement has been made yet, but it's interesting to note that the official Star Wars Galaxies Website no longer mentions the planned console versions of the upcoming Star Wars MMORPG. This may be an innocent oversight, but up until recently, Xbox and PS2 logos adorned the site in addition to the PC-CD logo that remains. Thanks The International House of Mojo.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Not really surprising May 2, 2003, 04:54 Creston

They're having a bitch of a time to get the thing to stay stable for more than a few hours just on the PC, no telling what would happen if they tried cross-platform compatibility..

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: No subject May 1, 2003, 17:29 aguita

Heh, I thought he was joking, so I didn't answer.

16. Re: No subject May 1, 2003, 16:12 GandalfTheWhite

console= ps2, xbox, snes, gameboy and the like.  
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
-Albert Einstein

15. No subject May 1, 2003, 15:01 Hammer

What's a console?

Hammer

14. Re: Good. May 1, 2003, 14:12 GandalfTheWhite

MMORPGs, the good ones anyway, can't be perfectly ported to consoles because of their lousy control peripherals. Sure, some console users use a keyboard and a mouse on their consoles but how comfortable is that in your livingroom?

Don't bash me english, me not english speaking in origin.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
-Albert Einstein

13. SWG a Bomb? May 1, 2003, 14:09 Liquid

As more and more details of SWG come out, the game seems less and less atractive. At one time it looks like it may be a full on reality simulator, with nearly unlimited options, now it's looking like EverQuest in Space. And without console support, it seem even less inovative...  
--
I like the Quake 3 Arena.

12. Re: Good. May 1, 2003, 13:47 rootCaUsE

LOL oh well poor consoles.. lol...

MMORPG's would be difficult on a console anyway due to the inherent fact that MMORPG's change on a regular basis.. The xbox might .. .might be able to be capablable of doing this due to the simple fact that they have a hard drive.. but the rest ... NOT lol

They probably did this for the simple fact that EQ sucks on the console.. I have friends that have EQ on both pc and on console.. and they tell me that it just isn't the same...

This is probably the main reason that this is taking place.. just speculation, but consoles are probably too static for something like a Living Breathing World that changes from month to month..

I really don't like consoles.. but I don't actually have anything aginst them either...

11. Re: Good. May 1, 2003, 12:18 Arkanis

So what your saying is a company like Blizzard has better credibility selling a game like Warcraft than Nintendo has selling a game like Zelda? Or Rockstar has less credibilty selling a game like GTA3?

You ask 10 non-gamers on the street which company they recognize more, Valve or Nintendo? Guess what the answer is going to be.

I don't even think it has to do with the fact that consoles churn out more games. What PC game can match sales of Zelda, GTA3, GT3, FFX, etc...? If you compare sales on a game for game basis, PC isn't gonna win many of them.

10. Re: Good, or perhaps not. May 1, 2003, 12:04 Ingen_Jegger

It seems that you may not have payed attention whilst staying awake.

9. Nice title May 1, 2003, 11:59 Devster

I like the "Galaxies Contracts" title, Blue.

phuck write of ewe type-o crytics

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

8. Re: Spelling May 1, 2003, 11:56 Postal

werbwerb:

You're not the only one who values the ability to write English properly. Heck, I just recently finished my English Lit degree; if I wasn't the sort who was fussy about things like contractions, I wouldn't be where I am today.

7. Re: Good. May 1, 2003, 11:44 Unmaker

Right on werbwerb. Remember though that some of these users may not be native speakers of English.

Unmaker

6. Re: Good. May 1, 2003, 11:28 werbwerb

your = possessive (Can I borrow your bike?)

you're = contraction of you are (You're not using 'your' correctly!)

its = possessive (Don't touch its hair.)

it's = contraction of it is (It's time for some grammar lessons!)

Now, hopefully everyone who posts on forums reads this and remembers it. Not only will your posts appear more intelligent, I also won't go insane thinking I was the only one who didn't sleep through English class...

Also, please read the following comic for proper use of the apostrophe: http://www.angryflower.com/bobsqu.gif

Thank you.

----

Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds...

-Bhagavad Gita

----
Some people risk to employ me...
Some people live to destroy me...
...Either way, they die.

5. Re: Good. May 1, 2003, 11:14 jeremiah

quote: DOWN WITH CONSOLES!

consoles are just another platform, one dedicated to gaming.

quote: Also companies gain better credibility when successful in the PC market... why is that?

rockstar lived on the sidelines until their now infamous PS2 release. I think they have a fair amount of credibility.

EDIT: i'd like to add Nintendo to the list of "credible" companies that developes games for consoles.

This comment was edited on May 1, 11:20.

4. Re: Good. May 1, 2003, 10:41 fredrickson

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 1, 11:14.

3. Re: Good. May 1, 2003, 10:34 Torlock

Well if your basing your opinion that consoles make 3 times more money than PC gaming your not making a very educated arguement. When you think about it the Console gaming industry pumps out 4 times as many games as the PC market. Also companies gain better credibility when succesful in the PC market... why is that? I don't know but it must mean something.

~Torlock

P.S. Pc's rule consoles

2. Re: Good. May 1, 2003, 10:28 Arkanis

Not when console games outsell PC games 3 to 1. Dollars don't lie. Until they start churning out PC's at console prices, PC games will never touch the sales of console games.

1. Good. May 1, 2003, 10:08 Torlock

It's about time companies stay in the PC market. I am sick and tired of seeing a PC company port for consoles then seeing them go completely console. DOWN WITH CONSOLES!

~Torlock

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo