Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DOOM III Q&A

There's a DOOM III Q&A on GameSpot where they catch up with id Software's Tim Willits, lead designer on the upcoming remake of their seminal first-person shooter. They include a quite groovy new screenshot, and discuss the game's single-player play, as well as what sort of multiplayer support is planned. One of Tim's answers offers hope for the return to preeminence of one of the mainstays of the DOOM/DOOM II arsenal:

All the weapons in Doom III are fun to use, and each one serves a purpose in the game, depending on the situation the player is in, but I think my overall personal favorite is still the shotgun. It has a wide range of uses--good for picking bad guys off from a distance, and great for those in-your-face battles. When I have it up, I can almost feel it in my hands, the heavy metal feel and the feedback I get when I fire it right on. When I run out of shotgun ammo, I really begin to get scared.

View
289 Replies. 15 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

289. Re: 300 post bump May 9, 2003, 04:25 Da-Fly

Are you addressing me?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

288. Re: 300 post bump May 8, 2003, 18:04 LitCigar

You can't read, can you?

287. Re: 300 post bump May 8, 2003, 04:54 Da-Fly

...but there is no way I am going to let Doom 3 phanbois claim Doom 3 will be a better game than Half Life 2 based on the number posts each game has

Heheh yeh that was my theory. Actually it was using post count on blues as a measure of how anticipated/popular a game is.

Although saying that, an America's Army thread has beaten all the Doom3 stuff so far, so maybe the theory is flawed.

286. Re: Id May 7, 2003, 21:09 Chance

Xombie: "Actually, that's a very valid opinion since the only two members that are still with id since their last single player game, and are the most influencial, are Carmack and Willits."

That got me thinking, I know that's dangerous :), but your statement sounded wrong Xombie. A quick look through the old Q2 manual and a quick trip to Id and: there are five people who worked on Quake 2 still at Id (not counting Holinshead and Jackson who are biz types). They are:

Adrian Carmack [co-owner, artist] Q2 art
John Carmack [co-owner, technical director] Q2 programmer
Kevin Cloud [co-owner, artist] Q2 art
Christian Antkow [designer] Q2 level design
Tim Willits [designer] Q2 level design

This assumes the personnel roster on the Id site is up to date of course and I think it is. Anyway, considering only a dozen people worked on Q2, that's not actually bad retention in the software biz. I think at least one other was working on Doom III and left for other ventures IIRC.

285. No subject May 7, 2003, 21:02 teh mane mahn

And no, I doubt it has the largest posts of all time. The posts in 2000 do not seem to be archived. I remember having a strenuous debate between me and Shingen over a little misunderstanding. That thread had over 400 posts and was not listed here.

The thread was about the Columbine shooting.

_____

The possible pain, suffering and sacrifice of discovery are by no means an excuse to remain ignorant.

The bartering of things sought earned are by a means which only little men can abide by and hope to achieve.

284. No subject May 7, 2003, 20:59 teh mane mahn

"He's talking about Baldur's Gate 2, not Half Life."

I understand that. I never said I cheated through BG2. I used that game as an example of a game that is certainly long.

_____

The possible pain, suffering and sacrifice of discovery are by no means an excuse to remain ignorant.

The bartering of things sought earned are by a means which only little men can abide by and hope to achieve.

283. Re: Bump this thread off the front page May 7, 2003, 19:54 PsycSui

640... we're halfway there...

282. Re: Bump this thread off the front page May 7, 2003, 18:26  Xymph 

What is the record for number of posts on a single Blues thread? I think this is pretty high up there.
You can find the top-6 all-time popular threads on the news archive page:

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/blammo.pl?mode=archive&format=main&topic=everything

And I still think thread should have been bumped off the "Popular Threads" list...
That happens automatically for every popular thread when the corresponding news post turns one week old.

-- Frans
3D Gamers admin, http://www.3dgamers.com/

-- Frans

281. 300 post bump May 7, 2003, 18:12 Gandhi

Just thought I would make a contribution to bump this to 300 before Blues cuts it from the front page.

I am bored of this discussion as well, but there is no way I am going to let Doom 3 phanbois claim Doom 3 will be a better game than Half Life 2 based on the number posts each game has

(The absurdity of the above comment prety much sums up the stupid comments proposed so far in this thread)

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

280. Re: No subject May 7, 2003, 17:26 Von Helmet

"You really are a moron, aren't you? Just running through the game, no side quests or nuffin', you could probably finish BG2 in 10 hours. I bet you're so determined not to have fun you rent movies to fast-forward through them..."

teh mane mahn's moronic rambling... ok, whatever. Ad Hom attacks show me that you have nothing more to say in your position.

The fact that there are no side quests and only linear design in HL tells me you haven't played it.

He's talking about Baldur's Gate 2, not Half Life.

279. SHUT UP EVERYONE May 7, 2003, 17:22 Von Helmet

No one cares if you've played the alpha as it's not representative of the game.

No one knows what any of these games will be like.

The previews are hype so whether you like what is said or not is largely irrelevant as much of it won't be 100% true and a lot of the features being touted now won't make it into the full game.

I remember previews of Deus Ex. The game didn't end up nearly as open as they were promising. Guess what? It still ruled.

Wait till the games are actually finished.

In the mean time stop acting like your word is law.

No way this thread deserves nearly 300 posts. Cut it Blue.

278. Re: No subject May 7, 2003, 17:17 hebrew_national

listen you butt buddies, there are 277 posts to this thread, i have to now go back 277 posts and reply to each one of your idiotic musings about this game. that really pisses me off, and it will take the better part of a week to finally put you all in your place.

why cant we all agree, yes, DOOM III will be interesting, and we will all at least give it the time of day if we are interested in that type of game. Why can't anyone reserve judgement and emotional outbursts until AFTER they buy the game? Then you can complain all you want about it being too short, not being scary enough, not being "cool" or "original" enough, or just flat out running too slow on your crappy Geforce 2 MX video card.

Until then, you can all STFU.

[and as a side note, anyone replying with cocky, rude, sarcastic, or inflammatory remarks to this post, is automatically a poop face.]

So there.

277. No subject May 7, 2003, 17:00 teh mane mahn

"You really are a moron, aren't you? Just running through the game, no side quests or nuffin', you could probably finish BG2 in 10 hours. I bet you're so determined not to have fun you rent movies to fast-forward through them..."

teh mane mahn's moronic rambling... ok, whatever. Ad Hom attacks show me that you have nothing more to say in your position.

The fact that there are no side quests and only linear design in HL tells me you haven't played it.

_____

276. No subject May 7, 2003, 16:31 Xenom

OMG, Shack's gonna have the "Meaning Of Life" posted tomorrow!
To hell with HL2.

275. No subject May 7, 2003, 16:11 Xombie

It might be 500.  
Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie

274. Bump this thread off the front page May 7, 2003, 15:03 Gandhi

What is the record for number of posts on a single Blues thread? I think this is pretty high up there.

And I still think thread should have been bumped off the "Popular Threads" list - nothing popular about this silly discussion at all, and it lost its entertainment value a long time ago.

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

273. Re: Id May 7, 2003, 14:10 PsycSui

To you. I don't see why you have such a problem with it. Are you secretly my mother, or do you just not like me talking shit about id?

I don't think there's a valid reason for you to talk shit about id. Also, I think you should be logical.

Yeah, if they want to make a cartoon any time soon.

Oh c'mon. He's an animator, not a game designer. Someone else designs and builds the models, he just makes them move. And considering the awsome animation in Shrek, I don't think he'll have a problem taking on models with smaller polygons.

272. Re: Id May 7, 2003, 13:27 Xombie

No, he hasn't worked on a game... he worked on SHREK! Shows the quality they have in their department.
Yeah, if they want to make a cartoon any time soon.

Ok... whatever. Instead of talking on the chance that you could be wrong, why not be open minded and wait for the game? It's kind of a silly stance.
To you. I don't see why you have such a problem with it. Are you secretly my mother, or do you just not like me talking shit about id?

Since you don't like id's previous games,
When did I say that?
You're talking to the wrong person.

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie

271. No subject May 7, 2003, 13:14 Xenom

Blue, please don't post tomorrows HL2 preview.

Long live the Doom III Q&A thread!

270. Re: Id May 7, 2003, 13:13 PsycSui

And look at the history of id's current staff. Their animator hasn't even ever worked on a game before this.

No, he hasn't worked on a game... he worked on SHREK! Shows the quality they have in their department.

Adrian Carmack has been there since id was created.

Actually that's not a problem for me. I'm willing to be wrong.

Ok... whatever. Instead of talking on the chance that you could be wrong, why not be open minded and wait for the game? It's kind of a silly stance.

Actually, that's a very valid opinion since the only two members that are still with id since their last single player game are Carmack and Willits.

Ok, maybe new game companies shouldn't build ANY games since they've never built one before.

Since you don't like id's previous games, shouldn't you be happy that most of the crew has been replaced since then? It's like a good football team that signs some great free agents.

289 Replies. 15 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo