Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EVE Online Gold

Simon & Schuster Interactive sends news that EVE Online: The Second Genesis, their MMO space game, has gone gold. They say the NDA on information about the game has been officially dropped as of today, and the official launch is slated for May 6 (sorry for messing up the date at first). They also send along a batch of five new screenshots, and word that the game's producer, Mike "Campion" Wallis will be in the EVE Online IRC Channel today at 5:00 PM EDT to discuss the announcement. The chat will be conducted on the server stratics.frws.com in the channel #eve-online.

View
104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

44. Re: This thread... Apr 23, 2003, 18:34 Unmaker

Wowbagger has it dead on.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: This thread... Apr 23, 2003, 17:58 Wowbagger_TIP

But, it pains me that everytime a game (not just Eve) is in the midst of a beta testing, the flamers have a field day on the boards.

EVE is not in the midst of beta. It's supposed to be in stores in 2 weeks. The client is gold. The client is still buggy as all hell. Therefore the release will be buggy as all hell. That's not even mentioning the problems on the server side. But what the hell, I'll mention those too. Node crashes at least once an hour. A very unbalanced and screwed up market system. Major balance problems with the ships. Skill system is still buggy. People are constantly dying and losing their ships and equipment because the servers lag out during combat. When the game resumes they find themselves floating in their pod, looking forward to several days of mining to buy a new ship. Yeah, this game really sounds like it's ready for release.

I've been in the beta for a couple months now. I reported bugs. I tried to figure out what exactly we're supposed to be able to do in this game. All in all, the goal seems to be to get a bunch of people together and seal off a system so you can mine the hell out of it. Alternatively you look for bugs in the market that let you make a couple hundred billion ISK in a couple days. I'll check back in 6 months. I don't mind beta testing, but when the devs already have a highly unreasonable release date, they don't have much interest in listening to the testers and making real improvements. I'm certainly not gonna pay 13 bucks a month to continue testing the game for them.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

42. Re: This thread... Apr 23, 2003, 17:30 Dr. Von Nostrand

Did I say it should suck? No, Eve does not suck. And, I didn't think E&B was all that bad either. But, I can remember QUITE A BIT of flaming when that game was emerging from beta as well. In fact, name a game that hasn't been flamed in this Godforsaken forum.

All I'm saying is COOL IT...

41. Re: This thread... Apr 23, 2003, 17:28 Lactose The Intolerant

Still you have to agree its odd that only one of the guys here praising EVE has posted in other threads. Fanboy/Sony affiliate or not no one can take your opinions seriously for that reason.

Oh and Ur-Quan Master Starcontrol rocks

40. Re: This thread... Apr 23, 2003, 17:15 Captain Beatdown

Again... it's a VIDEO GAME]!!!

So since it's a video game it can (and should) suck? I'm not following your reasoning.

I'm a beta tester and the only high points I've found for this game are the good graphics and ambient music. Other than that it's an ore-mining borefest. EVE Online is the kind of game for people with extremely long attention spans and/or lots of time to kill. If you like it more power to you, but IMHO E&B is better than EVE.
This comment was edited on Apr 23, 17:25.

39. Re: This thread... Apr 23, 2003, 17:12 Unmaker

A video game is a product just like anything else and, in case you hasn't noticed, we're all video gamer PLAYERS. The gaming community is sick of being taken advantage of. We're sick of companies that expect us to buy unfinished, buggy products. We're not going to just shut up and let our friends buy yet another unworthy product. It's not just about games--It's about our responsibility as consumers and as members of the gaming community. We're going to *warn* one another about potentially bad investments. With any luck the game companies will feel that pinch and start making better games.

38. Re: This thread... Apr 23, 2003, 17:03 Dr. Von Nostrand

Thanks for the compliment but I'm not now, nor have I been, an employee of CCP. And no, I have never posted anything to Blue's News before. But, it pains me that everytime a game (not just Eve) is in the midst of a beta testing, the flamers have a field day on the boards. None of these MMOGs is as bad as these posts will have you believe, and I just got sick of hearing it.

Again... it's a VIDEO GAME]!!!

37. Listen to me... Apr 23, 2003, 16:55 Unmaker

Sony fanboy am I? So, if I don't agree that Eve is the BEST OF THE BEST EVAR!!11 then I'm a fanboy? Sounds like you're the fanboy my friend. And you know what, I'm happy for you. I'm glad you like the game. Go play it. What I'm here to do however is share *my* experience of the game with the good people here at Blue's News.

The fact that you've *played* Eve for five months already proves (to me at least) that you're easily amused. Me, if I don't see anything happening in the first, oh, four hours of a game, I stop playing. I'm funny that way. I'm not willing to invest time in something that doesn't show any promise of better things to come. You, on the other hand, you strike me as a man who'd get lost in the intricacies of tic-tac-toe. Hey, whatever hoists your sails man.

I wanted Eve to be good, but it just isn't. Maybe it'll improve in time... but from where I'm sitting it looks like they made too many fundamental design errors. I sincerely wish them luck.

36. Re: What MMOG doesn't have bugs? Apr 23, 2003, 16:50 Big Dick

Hmmm... not a marketing guy for CCP or related to them in any way.

Just proud to be a fanboi.

35. Re: What MMOG doesn't have bugs? Apr 23, 2003, 16:42 Furious

the_nemesis - Yeah, my bad, I did mean to say that you fly in the ship, however, you still do point and click to move around (had UO on my mind). And I'm still waiting to hear what make EVE so incredibly innovative.

Big Dick - The client is a horrible mess with TONS of crash to Desktops. If you are in beta then go read the 'General' board. I'm not the only one who has noticed the Client issues. The Client is an important component of the game, I understand the 'Server' has the logic engine, but the client 'is' important. I guess Blind people don't need sight as it's their brains that think huh? One needs another, plain and simple.

I'm just giving my opinion w/o any agenda, I don't work for CCP (except to play and report bugs) nor am I a fanbois of any Developer, I just like to play fun games for 2 or 3 days a week at 2 to 3 hours at a time, aka a Casual Gamer. EVE isn't Casual gamer friendly, sorry. But neither was EQ, AC 1/2, and others. When I played UO way back when I could get productive stuff done within a few hours and log off happy. PlanetSide, in the MMORGP market, seems to be the most Casual Gamer product on the horizon, I'll try that and yes I won't let my ass get hit by the door on the way out from EVE. I certainly hope you have fun in EVE and wish you the best.

*shrugs*

34. This thread... Apr 23, 2003, 16:38 nmg

..sure has brought out a lot of one hit wonders... For the folks posting for the first time, really...

Penn, or the devs, or whoever keeps signing up with a different email addy to post good stuff about this currently flaccid game: it doesn't work that way here; we can spot BS.

And for one of those aforementioned one hit wonders (Von Nostrand #26) who claims to have played a lot of MMOG's: I've never played a hand holding, linear, cut-scene-plot-railing MMOG that you claim EVE is not. None of 'em are. #23 sums up my EVE experience fairly well. Until I was one of the pricks camping the good ore >:\

And assuming that anyone who has something bad to say is a biased SWG fanboy is, aside from being really dumb for arguments sake, pointing out that you're a biased EVE fanboy.

NMG

---
Life is short and hard, like a bodybuilding dwarf.
This comment was edited on Apr 23, 16:43.

NMG

---
Not Much Good

33. Re: zzz-ZZZZ-zzz huh, wha... oh Apr 23, 2003, 16:36 Weas

Agreed 100% Dog. Eve = boring as hell. CCP = clueless as game designers.

32. Re: Listen to me... Apr 23, 2003, 16:35 the_nemesis

This sounds almost like PR BS. Are you sure you don't work for CCP games?

31. Listen to me... Apr 23, 2003, 16:33 Ur-Quan Master 666

So many of these people are obvious trolls or employees of Sony Online Entertainment/SWG people here to discredit EVE. I have played UO, EQ, and DAoC for at least 18 months each, so I know what I'm talking about. I've been in the EVE beta for 5 months now, and have seen this game come a long way from unstable servers, little content, and boring gameplay. It is now one AMAZING piece of software, and it's not even released yet! I shutter to think what this game will be in another 6 months--I fear for my real life! Trust me, EVE is like nothing you have ever played before. The universe is HUGE, the graphics are INCREDIBLE, and the opportunities for us gamers are virtually LIMITLESS.

But hey, it's your money so I suggest you play it first. Don't let some stupid SWG fanboy troll punk keep you from missing out on what could be the most revolutionary piece of mmorpg software since UO.

Just my opinion.

30. Re: What MMOG doesn't have bugs? Apr 23, 2003, 16:03 Big Dick

Furous.. I don't think you understand. The CLIENT went gold, not the ENTIRE game. CCP said Eve gameplay comes off their servers, not your PC. Only the graphics and music are on your harddrive. So they can make fixes to the game pretty easily..

So.. Eve is NOT finished.. And to judge a BETA as finished product is truly stupid.

29. Re: What MMOG doesn't have bugs? Apr 23, 2003, 15:50 the_nemesis

Uhhhh

"And just what are they doing that is 'so' innovative?? It's UO/Diablo 2 in space, only more boring and buggy. You don't even fly 'in' the ship, you move around like UO."

That is ridiculous. Did you even play the game? Or at least looked at a preview? This is anything but UO or Diablo 2 in space, and YES you fly in the ship.

28. Re: What MMOG doesn't have bugs? Apr 23, 2003, 15:34 Furious

"CCP is making a game that has not been done before.. so yes there are bugs but man give 'em a break."

And just what are they doing that is 'so' innovative?? It's UO/Diablo 2 in space, only more boring and buggy. You don't even fly 'in' the ship, you move around like UO.

"For the 5 months I've been beta testing Eve I can say that its been improving and today they really made the game a lot of fun with tons of things to do."

Like what? What are the ton of things to do?

"I just think reserving judgement would be prudent, especially since the game is not finished."

But yet it is gold now..

Please man/woman, people bitch and complain because the product(s) that are being sold are not 'complete' at release. Why don't you go by a car with 3 tires no no wind shield wipers, surely you can drive around till that make that 4th wheel right?

Blah..

27. What MMOG doesn't have bugs? Apr 23, 2003, 15:25 CaldariGuy

I can understand that Eve has its bugs but shit what game that comes out doesn't? CCP is making a game that has not been done before.. so yes there are bugs but man give 'em a break.

To be honest I've read these forums for some time and all I ever read is people bitching about this or that.. Just seems to me that no game will ever match up someone's standards around here.

Single person games should not be buggy... but MMOGs are probably the most difficult thing to create, both from a gameplay and programming perspective. So to me at least they are the exception.

For the 5 months I've been beta testing Eve I can say that its been improving and today they really made the game a lot of fun with tons of things to do.

So the postings saying there's nothing to do in EVE clearly are basing their opinions on a build from some time ago.

I just think reserving judgement would be prudent, especially since the game is not finished.

26. Re: The envelope please.... Apr 23, 2003, 15:07 Dr. Von Nostrand

Holy Shit... what is your problem? It's a friggin' game for Chissakes!!

I've played quite a few MMOGs and was lucky enough to get into the beta for Eve a few months back. While there were some problems, I've still enjoyed the SPIRIT of the game. There's no handholding, no linear story, no cut scene to tell you what's happening next. Quite simply, it's an alternative reality... the first real step I've seen in participatory entertainment in a long time. Are you all threatened by this?? Worried that you might have to move out of your parents basements and get real lives?? Get over yourselves. At the end of the day, it's still a video game... a damn good one at that.

25. Re: My 2 cents on the beta Apr 23, 2003, 14:58 Enforcer

Don't get us wrong #17, yes I have not been as lucky as you to beta test EVE as long as you have been. I know what the steep learning curve people are talking about. I wish that we all had the same person as you did to teach us all how to do everything. Note this is in no way a flame at you but to more or less try to understand our concerns of this game. I just like most of you who wanted to beta test this game (and got luck too) want to see this become very successful.

I think what most of us are concerned about is that in a very short period the game will be released. That would be good but there are issues that have not even been tested yet that would make more people happy then "just mine all day".

Yes I know that CCP are keeping some of these hidden and a surprise for us at release, but as a casual gamer I am on the fence here and fear that I will be mining most of this game till I can gain enough money to do some of the more cooler stuff.

If any other beta testers who agree with me here and can add on to this "concern" then please do so. Penn I hope you are watching this board today as you can maybe pass this on to the devs.

104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo