Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2 Hits the Newsstands

Well it seems that magazines with Half-Life 2 cover stories have started showing up all around the globe. It should be obvious that as a matter of respecting copyrights, not to mention plain good manners, we won't post any links to unauthorized scans of content, but CGW and PC Gamer were canny enough to send along images of their covers to whet our appetites, or possibly to serve as visual aids if your local shopkeeper doesn't know what magazine you are asking about. If the covers seem familiar, it may be because they use the same pieces of art as the two European magazine covers revealed yesterday.

View
138 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

78. Freeman's Glasses Apr 23, 2003, 01:58 Imkenator

You know, I've always liked his almost Malcom X-esque glasses that he wears. It seems to say, "I'm a nerd, but one that will escape Black Mesa by any means necessary."

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

77. SP Apr 23, 2003, 01:46 Santiago

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!

-----------------------------------------------------
Cry 'havoc', and let slip the dogs o' war!

-----------------------------------------------------
"Oh that's blue. He's an old navy vet that hangs around my store a lot. But don't worry about it, he's legit."

76. Re: John Carmack groupies. Apr 23, 2003, 01:17 AcidDrone

yeahhh i hope those fucking starship troopers monsters are just place holders or thats some blatently nice riping off of holywood.

75. Re: re : #29 Apr 23, 2003, 01:17 Stolk

Though quite childish... his point is valid.

74. Re: John Carmack groupies. Apr 23, 2003, 00:55 John

Ooooo... what if HL2 and D3 were relaased on the SAME DAY? Which one do you play first? Talk about dilemmas.

Hmm.. I'd most likely go with HL2. The $60 price tag for D3 is a bit high. Hopefully they both will release a demo prior to the release of the game.. that way we'll get a better idea of how they really are.

I'd still like to see more shots from HL2 though. Those scans aren't good enough for me.

This space is available for rent

73. Re: re : #29 Apr 23, 2003, 00:55 Propagandhi

You pose some really excellent points, Soupkin. Your incite is deeply valued by the Bluesnews community.

nerd.

I eat pasta!

72. Re: No subject Apr 23, 2003, 00:43 ExcessDan

i hope wacky wheels 2 comes out in time for the HL2 release
anyone want to help get a petition together to get a wacky wheels sequel going?

"The" Dan
Intel 486SX, Trident video, 8MB RAM, 14" Generic Monitor, 100 MB HDD, Windows 3.11
Postal 2 sucks LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOOOOOL
This comment was edited on Apr 23, 00:46.

ExcessDan

71. Re: re : #29 Apr 23, 2003, 00:43 Soupkin

hey lets post a 10,000 word essay on bluesnews comment forum

i bet no ones read your post you nerd.

Im Soupkin.
I hope i dont have aids.
Postal 2 sucks.

Im Soupkin.
I hope i dont have aids.
http://users.ign.com/collection/Serious_Soup)
Postal 2 sucks.

70. Re: re : #29 Apr 23, 2003, 00:41 Creston

Elvis,

I'll admit that Stalker and Deus Ex 2 haven't been released yet, but the very first Deus Ex HAS changed the FPS genre quite a bit, and more and more games are following an (in my opinion) needed direction : open ended gameplay. I merely mentioned Stalker because it was the first FPS I could think of that promises gameplay which allows you to decide where to go.

I didn't say necessarily that linear gameplay is bad, it's just that we (or perhaps I should say I) have come to expect more of games these days. And you can still have a great storyline even IF you have open ended gameplay. GTA3 is a fine example, and even Freelancer approximates something to the extent of what I'm talking about (even if limited). The adage "storyline = linear gameplay" is no longer true. Or at least, it shouldn't have to be.

Half Life was absurdly linear. It was so linear that everything in the game always happened at exactly the same time, every single time. This wasn't a bad thing 5 years ago, but I definitely hope that Valve has picked up some new tricks, because releasing another hallway - chamber - hallway - chamber - hallway shooter isn't going to cut it this time around.

As for wondering IF it will get released, lots of projects get cancelled or put on apparent indefinite hold these days. I'll agree it's doubtful that Half Life 2 would become one of those, since it would probably sell a million copies on name alone, no matter how crap it is (especially since all the "honest, unbiased" game reviewers out there will blow sunshine up Valve's ass even if HL2 turns out to be the biggest turd since "Plumbers with Ties".), so the game will see the shelf, but in what state, and how good it will be... I guess I should say I'm wondering if it will be released worthy of the name Half Life.

But I suppose I'm being too harsh on Valve. They're still batting 1.000 so far, so I'll cut 'em some slack, at least until I see something in those damn magazines.

Creston

69. Re: No subject Apr 23, 2003, 00:06 trog

wow, magazines do actually sometimes get stuff before the Internet, until the naughty people scan them anyway.

Surely from a Valve/(Publisher X) perspective, it'd make more sense to release their information on the Internet for free - but I guess then the magazines would realise they're basically useless and shrivel, wither and die.

68. Re: No subject Apr 22, 2003, 23:56 ExcessDan

wacky wheels was awesome... that fucking lion was always dodging the groundhogs i shot at him!

"The" Dan
Intel 486SX, Trident video, 8MB RAM, 14" Generic Monitor, 100 MB HDD, Windows 3.11
Postal 2 sucks LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOOOOOL

ExcessDan

67. No subject Apr 22, 2003, 23:50 teh mane mahn

"Ooooo... what if HL2 and D3 were relaased on the SAME DAY? Which one do you play first? Talk about dilemmas."

That's no problem.

It would be the same dilemma as last time: HL or Wacky Wheels

Don't kid yourself, I chose Wacky Wheels.

_____

The possible pain, suffering and sacrifice of discovery are by no means an excuse to remain ignorant.

The bartering of things sought earned are by a means which only little men can abide by and hope to achieve.

66. Re: John Carmack groupies. Apr 22, 2003, 23:41 Baudkarma

But Carmack probably designed the engine for HL2. So I doubt the id groupies with hot man-love for JC will be too scarred. They'll still be able to argue that without his genius, the game would have never happened.

I'm impressed with how well Valve was able to keep this thing under wraps. Arguably the biggest game announcement of 2003, something they've probably been working on for a couple of years now, and it seems to have caught everyone by surprise. Compare that to companies that release screenshots every week of crap that won't be out until 2006.

Ooooo... what if HL2 and D3 were relaased on the SAME DAY? Which one do you play first? Talk about dilemmas.

(no sig because I had to set up a new acct)

I am not a man! I am a free number!

65. Re: Oh yeah..(Blood 2) Apr 22, 2003, 22:44 Elvis

since mike dussault of lithtech 1 & 2 fame (shogo, blood 2, nolf, nolf 2) is there, I would not be surprised if one engine reminded you of another. i dug blood 2 as well

64. Re: Obligatory HL reference Apr 22, 2003, 22:41 John

The graphics don't look good??? Uh, you did LOOK at them didn't ya!

The water one looks amazing I think.

For those who actually have seen the shots in the mag, it's easier for them to tell.. but the scans aren't that good so it's hard to say. Are they all from actual in-game screenshots? I can't wait for them (Valve) to post some high-res screenshots from the game online.

And what happened to halflife.org? *tries again* Ok, nevermind.. it seems to be back up again.

This space is available for rent

63. Re: re : #29 Apr 22, 2003, 22:39 Elvis

Creston, its funny you say that "the bar is set extremely high in this current day", then go on to mention in the same sentence two very unreleased games as though they've set some new standard. I disagree that "very unlinear / open ended gameplay" automatically equals gameplay greatness, and that HL2 needs to go this route to be impressive. Its like anything else - someone has to make it work, get the details right, and make it fun - just like the GTA folks did. Besides, linear gameplay is a good match for storytelling. Look at Medal of Honor and NOLF2 - very linear, still tons of fun and sold very well (at least MOH did).

and questioning IF it will get released - huh?!

62. Re: John Carmack groupies. Apr 22, 2003, 22:35 Bunko

Ewwwwwwww...

I think I have been scarred for life

--------------------------------------------------
Bunko
TI-83+ Graphing Calculator, 64k Memory, 1" Display
Not good for ninja fights.

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22

61. John Carmack groupies. Apr 22, 2003, 22:28 Smellfinger

When they look at screenshots of Doom 3, they imagine being squirted in the poop chute by John Carmack's hot programming load. Half-Life 2 is a threat to their sexuality. I know this because I can read their minds, being psychic and all. I can remote view their closeted feelings towards id Software's male designers.

Since I have psychic powers, I will reveal the future to everyone right now: Halo 2 and Half-Life 2 will overshadow Doom 3 and cause John Carmack to leave the gaming industry to focus full-time on driving around Texas in hideously overpowered Ferraris and building rocket ships. To deny this is to deny the inevitable, as it has already happened in another timeline that I, a remote viewer and psychic, can tap into.

60. Oh yeah.. Apr 22, 2003, 22:21 Propagandhi

Is anyone else getting a little bit of a Blood 2 vibe from those shots? Thats not a bad thing, btw, I liked Blood 2

I eat pasta!

59. looks good to me too Apr 22, 2003, 22:16 Elvis

seems there's shadows on all the characters. the three-legged spider/mech looks amazing, especially its scale. the view distance appears to go quite far. the one shot of the city street with the two columns with horses atop has a lot of drawn detail, as does the other shot of zombies in the alley/courtyard (the caption says the zombies will pick objects up, like oil drums, and throw them at you). there's a shot of a character coming out of fire - the flames look good.

the staff at valve includes mike dussault (lead lithtech engineer, versions 1 & 2), tom leonard (lead programmer thief 1), charlie brown & gary mctaggart (ex 3dfx & ritual), and yahn bernier and ken birdwell, the guys who did much or all of the original tech for half-life....so its unlikely that hl2 will be a slouch in the any of the key tech departments - video, sound.

138 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo