Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2 Hits the Newsstands

Well it seems that magazines with Half-Life 2 cover stories have started showing up all around the globe. It should be obvious that as a matter of respecting copyrights, not to mention plain good manners, we won't post any links to unauthorized scans of content, but CGW and PC Gamer were canny enough to send along images of their covers to whet our appetites, or possibly to serve as visual aids if your local shopkeeper doesn't know what magazine you are asking about. If the covers seem familiar, it may be because they use the same pieces of art as the two European magazine covers revealed yesterday.

View
138 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

98. Interesting ... Apr 23, 2003, 12:25 Gandhi

http://www.gamershell.com/news_bHalf-Life2bFirstInforma.shtml

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

97. Valve is just too smart... Apr 23, 2003, 11:44 Allegra Geller

@SemperFi:

I argee with you. What made Half-Life a success was the scripted events, no cutscenes/FMV(full motion video) so you're playing the game from the beginning to the end without any cinematic scenes interrupting the gameplay, a WELL made storyline, and incredible AI. On top of that, Valve has given 100% support for those who want to modify Half-Life and create their own mods(Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, Gunman Chronicles, HL Rally, Frontline Force, Desert Crisis, Digital Paintball, etc...)

If Valve continues this(full mod support and a wonderful story/AI), Half-Life 2 will no doubt be another successful hit like their first game.

And don't compare Doom 3 with Half-Life 2. That's just wrong. Like SemperFi said before, they're two different games with completely different styles.

BTW, I believe it was ID Software president/chairman who said that John Carmack will still be around to do another game engine for ID Software after Doom 3.

96. Re: John Carmack groupies. Apr 23, 2003, 11:17 SemperFi

I agree compairing HL2 to DOOM III is stupid. They are different in game play. DOOM III is geared to just scare the $#IT out you and wow you with graphics. Its been said you'll probably not see more than 2 or 3 monsters at one time in DOOM III. Many people won't like being taken out of cartoon time.

Half Life was a great game, with some inovative modifications to the Q2 engine. To me it was still the story that carried it.

Saying that sights won't give accurate reviews because it "Valve" is stupid. Everyone and their brother raved about UNREAL (I personally didn't care for it much) and UNREAL 2 got plenty of bad review (rightly so too). The graphics engine was pretty good but I found the level design and AI VERY lacking. Remember AI...that thing that Valve did SOOOOO much better than everyone else?

Personnally I don't care if the graphics are Q3 style. Give me good AI and even better storyline i'm happy.

Other bonuses.....MODS....Great potential. I just finished Splinter Cell in less than 3 days (no not 24 hours a day either). Yes looks great, though I was disapointed with some of the level designs. But sadly no editor.

What will JC do after DOOM III? He's said this is his last major engine.....but something tells me he's going to try to get a engine that can combine large outdoor areas that are stunning too.

Valve where the first ones to say "It will be out when its ready". The fact that they have kept this underwraps so well and have given a release date tell me that if they where like most other software houses that the game would have been release a few months ago and that they are sure that they'll make their release date as long as the world doesn't get swallowed by our sun going super nova.

95. Re: John Carmack groupies. Apr 23, 2003, 08:49 David Johnston

I never had any problem with MP, even before the 'new netcode' patches, but then I had ISDN at the time. MP was actually a great deal of fun - so different from Q2 and Q3 to be exciting and fun.

If anything, bugs were minor - the major problems were performance issues on slow connections.

94. Re: John Carmack groupies. Apr 23, 2003, 08:14 Devster

I never had any issues with the SP portion of the game. I can't speak for the MP aspect, I was on such a crappy dial up connection when the game was initially released that I never bothered.

Exactly. It rocked in SP. mod & multi code = wateva.

phuck write of ewe type-o crytics

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

93. Re: How to play Half-Life - again Apr 23, 2003, 08:04 Dr.Haggard

Right, anyone who wants to play Half-Life again needs to make sure it's as fun and as immersive as possible.

I would also recommend going the whole hog and installing Half-Life, Uplink (inserted into the orginal so it flows - you can get a version somewhere that does this), OpFor and Blue Shift and just play it all again.

By a happy coincidence I very recently did this, and so when the HL2 announcement came it meant I was already back in that familiar HL 'zone' which made it all the more exciting.

It's easy to forget how great HL is, but it's also very easy to remind yourself. Just starting up that intro sequence feels like it's Novemeber '98 all over again, goosebumps and all (oh and make sure the cd is in the drive so you get the music!)

92. Re: John Carmack groupies. Apr 23, 2003, 07:22 Bronco

Plus, everything Valve turns out is buggy as hell.
The original HL wasn't.
And in which dimension was this?

I never had any issues with the SP portion of the game. I can't speak for the MP aspect, I was on such a crappy dial up connection when the game was initially released that I never bothered.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org
I woke up today and wished for tomorrow
I don't want to be like anyone else
I woke up today and wished for tomorrow
I don't want even be myself

-TPFKAS2S

91. Re: John Carmack groupies. Apr 23, 2003, 07:17 NotOneOfUs

The original HL wasn't.

And in which dimension was this?

90. Re: How to play Half-Life - again Apr 23, 2003, 07:14 Allegra Geller

1. Play it at night - late evening, in a darkish room with no external sounds (from TVs, friends etc)
2. Make sure you have the Half-Life CD in the drive for the music (adds SO much more than you'd think to the game since it's quite orchestral)
3. Have a snack like jelly beans or smarties (!) on standby, so you don't have to leave the room for food.
4. Take a toilet break before you start playing.
5. Play it on hard.
6. Convince yourself that it's changed since the last time you played it - try to spot the major changes as quickly as possible, on the run.
7. Ignore the (now comparatively) dated physics and rendering - it's immersion and gaming you want.
8. Remember it's a scary game if you want it to be.
9. Only remember where you've been, not where you're going.
10. Be quick, sneaky, and don't exploit bugs in the game or play it half-arsed - you need to put in effort or it won't be any fun at all.

And don't forget to install the HL High-Definition pack from the Blue Shift CD!

89. Re: John Carmack groupies. Apr 23, 2003, 07:07 Devster

The original HL wasn't.

phuck write of ewe type-o crytics

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

88. How to play Half-Life - again Apr 23, 2003, 07:06 David Johnston

Right, anyone who wants to play Half-Life again needs to make sure it's as fun and as immersive as possible. So:

1. Play it at night - late evening, in a darkish room with no external sounds (from TVs, friends etc)
2. Make sure you have the Half-Life CD in the drive for the music (adds SO much more than you'd think to the game since it's quite orchestral)
3. Have a snack like jelly beans or smarties (!) on standby, so you don't have to leave the room for food.
4. Take a toilet break before you start playing.
5. Play it on hard.
6. Convince yourself that it's changed since the last time you played it - try to spot the major changes as quickly as possible, on the run.
7. Ignore the (now comparatively) dated physics and rendering - it's immersion and gaming you want.
8. Remember it's a scary game if you want it to be.
9. Only remember where you've been, not where you're going.
10. Be quick, sneaky, and don't exploit bugs in the game or play it half-arsed - you need to put in effort or it won't be any fun at all.

So there.

87. Re: D3 and HL2 Apr 23, 2003, 06:01 Da-Fly

Based on what we've seen of Doom3 its difficult to imagine a 16 player deathmatch running at 100fps - but that is based on playing thru last year's leaked tech demo.
I wouldn't be surprised if Doom3 ends up with a very robust multiplayer game when it ships. Id have always released games with market-leading netcode. I still think the Q3 netcode is unmatched (and its over 3 years old).
But, until playable builds are released this is all speculation.
In fact - it'll be interesting to see if either game ships without a demo being released first... anyone remember Unreal 2?
Final thought: Wish I was going to E3

86. Re: D3 and HL2 Apr 23, 2003, 05:49 Elvis

ack, i finally see what people are talking about in that shot. the dynamic lighting on the soldier DOES look low tech. then again, look at q3 the game when you fire a rocket at a wall, the light pattern is rectangular.

given how nice the other shots, and the flame effects in the fire shot (and what could be real time lighting going on ), i can't imagine hl2 having 2 bit dynamic effects.

85. Re: D3 and HL2 Apr 23, 2003, 05:23 DrEvil

when are people gonna stop looking at everything as a competition with doom 3. lemme tell you something. doom 3's graphics is the very thing thats going to make it NOT the engine of choice for a multiplayer platform. when it comes to multiplayer, and modding as well, HL2 is going to make doom 3 its bitch, regardless of gfx shortcomings it has in comparison.

84. Re: D3 and HL2 Apr 23, 2003, 04:39 Halo

I'm gonna bet myself 5 bucks that a guard or soldier says, "The only good bug is a dead bug!" I just know it will happen.

~Halo

83. Re: D3 and HL2 Apr 23, 2003, 04:28 World war 3

Looks nice but.. GOD!

http://www.halflife2.net/pics2/prision.jpg

What the hell are those ligting effects from the shooting guard??

I don't think this is the q3 engine, Quake3 had better dynamic lighting effects than that.

Otherwise it looks really nice, hope it's as creepy as HL1.

As for HL2 vs Doom3. So far, Doom3!!
HL2 may be creepy, so far it looks like SOF2 with zombies and, indeed, Starship Troopers' bugs.

_______________________ __ _

http://www.worldwar3.cjb.net Updated December 25th

http://www.worldwar3.cjb.net Updated April 17th 2009

82. Re: D3 and HL2 Apr 23, 2003, 04:02 Halo

http://www.halflife2.net/pics2/

Whoops.

~Halo

81. Re: D3 and HL2 Apr 23, 2003, 03:57 ExcessDan

I think I'd download them both instead because I have no money for them anyways.

"The" Dan
Intel 486SX, Trident video, 8MB RAM, 14" Generic Monitor, 100 MB HDD, Windows 3.11
Postal 2 sucks LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOOOOOL

ExcessDan

80. D3 and HL2 Apr 23, 2003, 03:45 CyBeRpImP

If Doom 3 and HL 2 were released on the same day I think I'd play 1 level of Doom 3 first, then 1 level of HL 2.
Whichever had a better hold of me after the first level would be what I'd be playing for the rest of the night.
Then I'd probably variate the next night until I'd decided what I wanted to finish all the way through before switching to the other one.

79. Re: John Carmack groupies. Apr 23, 2003, 03:10 Psycho Suicider

"Ooooo... what if HL2 and D3 were relaased on the SAME DAY? Which one do you play first? Talk about dilemmas."

I'd buy them both, and then play DOOM III first.

Sorry to Valve, but id has my heart. Besides, I think DOOM III will look better on my beefy new system. Mwahahahaha! And I think D3 will have gameplay aspects that no one expects from id.

Plus, everything Valve turns out is buggy as hell. So they'll need to patch it first. I'll give them time to make a patch by playing D3 =)

A stupid price tag of $60 on Amazon doesn't mean jack crap. Nobody knows how much D3 is going to cost.

138 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo