Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2 Hits the Newsstands

Well it seems that magazines with Half-Life 2 cover stories have started showing up all around the globe. It should be obvious that as a matter of respecting copyrights, not to mention plain good manners, we won't post any links to unauthorized scans of content, but CGW and PC Gamer were canny enough to send along images of their covers to whet our appetites, or possibly to serve as visual aids if your local shopkeeper doesn't know what magazine you are asking about. If the covers seem familiar, it may be because they use the same pieces of art as the two European magazine covers revealed yesterday.

View
138 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

118. Re: Interesting ... Apr 23, 2003, 19:36 ExcessDan

I'm a fan of Wacky Wheels SP myself. OOOH THAT PESKY LION!

"The" Dan
Intel 486SX, Trident video, 8MB RAM, 14" Generic Monitor, 100 MB HDD, Windows 3.11
Postal 2 sucks LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOOOOOL

ExcessDan
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

117. Re: Interesting ... Apr 23, 2003, 19:35 Devster

In my opinion, Jedi Knight 2 SP beat Half Life SP as well.
Ainh. For length and a "continuous" feel to it, my opinion is in favour of Half Life. JK2 had some cool moments, but I didn't find anything as immersive as HL; so perhaps it was all in the presentation and storyline (Marc Laidlaw? was that the guy?). JK2 seems too broken up - go here, go there. It felt expansive and grand (as a SW game should), but there was an immediacy and sense of urgency to Half Life that it seemed to be lacking.
So therefore, there are a lot of games better than Half Life.
(in your opinion) - The 5 you listed (System Shock, System Shock 2, Deus Ex, NOLF2, JK2) make lots, or those 5 plus more will equal a "lot"?

phuck write of ewe type-o crytics
This comment was edited on Apr 23, 19:35.

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

116. Re: HL AI Apr 23, 2003, 19:22 Scott

Thinking about reinstalling Half-Life with the expansions and graphics pack

What's the graphic pack and where can I get it?

115. Re: Interesting ... Apr 23, 2003, 19:20 Scott

Half-life was the only game mentioned in your post that revolutionized the genre. You barely see any games implementing RPG elements (a la Deus Ex & System Shock) but you'll never see the end of scripted sequences. Not that Valve was the first to do them but they did them the best.

NOLF2 and Jedi Knight 2 both were decent but unmemorable.

114. Re: Interesting ... Apr 23, 2003, 19:08 Bunko

NOLF2 singleplay was fun while it lasted (and had great AI) but wasn't nearly as memorable as HL. Deus Ex does beat out HL in singleplayer but it's multiplayer was lame. JKII SP was OK, not great. It was really short, too.

And I agree with the gaming magazines. HL had great singleplayer AND multiplayer (TFC) plus Valve nutured the mod community, allowing the development of multitudes of great mods to come out. Half-Life is STILL the most played game on the internet. And that has to mean something right?

Jackass.

--------------------------------------------------
Bunko
TI-83+ Graphing Calculator, 64k Memory, 1" Display
Not good for ninja fights.

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22

113. Re: HL AI Apr 23, 2003, 19:07 Ray Marden

Well, I think it depends on how you look at it. I always thought that Half-Life did have good AI, but in the "Not completely sucking like all the other games" rather than in a "Wow, that is totally realisitic" way.

For the soldiers, I use the environment to protect myself and just hold down the trigger while I fill the enemy's head with lead. Hear a grenade? Run back a few steps and begin again...

Am I the only person that LOVES those...ten (about :o) eyed puppies? The can only hurt you if you do not pay attention, else it is time to bust out the Crowbar of Love©.

Thinking about reinstalling Half-Life with the expansions and graphics pack,
Ray

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you really blame the children? Not yourself?
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
Currently playing: Emperor's Tomb (shut up), IGI 2, Raven Shield, Tenchu 3, and Wind Waker.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

112. Re: Interesting ... Apr 23, 2003, 19:01 Ray Marden

The only game that I have played more than Half-Life is....Deus Ex.

Noting that Creston is no fan of Valve,
Ray

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you really blame the children? Not yourself?
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
Currently playing: Emperor's Tomb (shut up), IGI 2, Raven Shield, Tenchu 3, and Wind Waker.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

111. HL AI Apr 23, 2003, 17:57  Wookieballs 

People talk about the HL AI not being all that special, but I don't really recall any other FPS games out at that time with the level of sophistication that HL had in regards to AI. I remember being pretty amazed watching the soldiers work together and toss grens back at me. Each monster had its own little style of attack, and there little dog guys with the 100 eyes still give me the creeps.

110. Re: Interesting ... Apr 23, 2003, 17:24 Creston

"Like what?"

The original System Shock, System Shock 2, Deus Ex, NOLF2 are all better games than Half Life is.

Yes, I'm ONLY talking single player, because HL's multiplayer is either Counterstrike or ehhh the Aliens vs Marines thing, and they are all rated by themselves, they have NOTHING to do with Half Life except that they use its engine.

In my opinion, Jedi Knight 2 SP beat Half Life SP as well.

So therefore, there are a lot of games better than Half Life.

But gaming magazines put Half Life on the number one spot, yapping about amazing single player and fantastic multiplayer MODS, then go right ahead and put CounterStrike at number 3... Hey, why not rate every game both with it's mods, and then all the mods separately, I'm sure we could have Carmack's engines on every spot from 1 to 100 then...

Creston

109. Re: Interesting ... Apr 23, 2003, 15:59 World war 3

The game is powered by Valve's in-house developed graphics engine, called Source.

So no Q3 engine As I suspected!...

About Doom3 being able to render large outdoor areas, that a load. It can, any game can, but that doesn't mean it's practical. The engine isn't designed for that, in fact, with the 'unified lighting' and everything, I wonder how they're going to get the sky shader to emit light without completely halting any spitbucket under K8-4Ghz/Radeon 20K.
I saw a movie of the intro of Doom3, briefly showing some outdoor areas (Blue will probably nuke me for this), and it looked like Quake2's outdoor areas, confined by unclimbable rocks and buildings.

_______________________ __ _

» http://www.worldwar3.cjb.net « Updated December 25th

» http://www.worldwar3.cjb.net « Updated April 17th 2009

108. Re: Interesting ... Apr 23, 2003, 15:57 Bunko

System Shock 2 was pretty good and so was Thief. SS2 had better story than HL but I think HL was better executed and had more appeal because of multiplayer.

Bunko

107. Re: Interesting ... Apr 23, 2003, 15:28 Scott

Simply put if you didn't like the first half-life, this one probably won't float your boat either.

106. Re: Interesting ... Apr 23, 2003, 15:27 PsycSui

"Lighting effects don't make a game scary - the immersiveness of the game does. In all honesty I now think Half-Life 2 will do a better job than Doom 3 - it will have the storyline and the writing and the skill that was behind Half-Life powering it - and much will have been learnt."

With all other things being even, D3 will win out in the immersiveness department because of the lighting effects and the scary things that they can do with them.

Half-Life was a great game. But I think there are other single player games that I enjoyed more. Max Payne, Medal of Honor, and Jedi Knight II.

Half-Life had a great flow, but the aliens weren't exciting to fight. Once I got past the part where you fight humans I got a little bored. The end battle was kinda dorky too. I liked the end though, when you talk to the guy and he gives you a choice. Great stuff =)

105. Re: Interesting ... Apr 23, 2003, 15:14 Bronco

Like what?

I'd give a big nod to System Shock 2 as well.

Funny, same guy was involved with both of those...

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org
I woke up today and wished for tomorrow
I don't want to be like anyone else
I don't want even be myself

-TPFKAS2S

104. Re: Interesting ... Apr 23, 2003, 15:11 David Johnston

The main difference will be that D3 is probably going to be a lot scarier, thanks to the lighting effects.

Lighting effects don't make a game scary - the immersiveness of the game does. In all honesty I now think Half-Life 2 will do a better job than Doom 3 - it will have the storyline and the writing and the skill that was behind Half-Life powering it - and much will have been learnt.

103. Re: Interesting ... Apr 23, 2003, 14:57 Bunko

that there ARE games out there MUCH better than Half Life

Like what?

Deus Ex is the only one in my book and it only overtakes HL in the singleplayer department.

Bunko

102. Re: Interesting ... Apr 23, 2003, 14:37 nin

I wonder what the price cut will be to download it instead of buying the cd version. Will you be able to burn the downloaded client to a cd-rom to back it up? Questions, questions.

I'm a "box and manual" kind of guy...then again, manuals' have been getting smaller and smaller the past few years...

The suits at the major distributors must be crapping their collective pants over this.

Agreed!

Supporter of the "A happy fredster is a muted fredster" fanclub.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

101. Re: Interesting ... Apr 23, 2003, 14:02 Creston

Also, D3 follows the story of someone trying to survive when a base is attacked by hell, kinda like Black Mesa being attacked by aliens.

Ehhmm, it's more kinda like the base on Mars being attacked by demons. As in Doom?

Furthermore, SemperFi, obviously you are allowed to think that it's stupid to say magazines will rave on Half Life 2 just because it's Valve, and they didn't do so with Unreal. Unfortunately, Unreal was never proclaimed as the God of Games so much as five years after it's release when it really should have already been relegated to the lower rankings in the top 100.

Gaming magazines simply cannot get over the fact that there ARE games out there MUCH better than Half Life. It is for this reason that they will hype Half Life 2 out the wazzoo, and I expect absolutely no unbiased review anywhere (at least in the printed magazines anyways).

Creston

100. Re: Interesting ... Apr 23, 2003, 13:55 Bronco

From Gandhi's link:

It will be available through both retailers and Valve's recently launched pay-per-download client, Steam.

I wonder what the price cut will be to download it instead of buying the cd version. Will you be able to burn the downloaded client to a cd-rom to back it up? Questions, questions.

The suits at the major distributors must be crapping their collective pants over this.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org
I don't want to be like anyone else
I don't want even be myself

-TPFKAS2S

99. Re: Interesting ... Apr 23, 2003, 13:05 PsycSui

The DOOM 3 engine supports large outdoor areas. I doubt you'll see any in the game though, as these would probably bring most systems to a crawl.

DOOM 3 will not ship with a major multiplayer component, or any kind of server/client code. According to id, the deathmatch will be 4 player peer to peer, like Age of Empires. So you'll actually wait in a room with your buddies and then start the game. You will not be able to join a game that is already in progress.

id mentioned in Wired magazine that they plan on doing a multiplayer expansion pack for D3 after the release. But their main focus for the game is single player, so multiplayer is not really a concern for them.

I think that Half-Life and D3 will be very similar. First of all, D3 is going to be filled with scripted events, just like Half-Life was. Also, D3 follows the story of someone trying to survive when a base is attacked by hell, kinda like Black Mesa being attacked by aliens. The main difference will be that D3 is probably going to be a lot scarier, thanks to the lighting effects.

Half-Life did not have uber-amazing AI, it had simple AI that worked well with scripted sequences. Mainly, the soldiers were impressive. The aliens were boring to fight, and didn't really do much. The soldiers would duck, hide, throw back grenades, and talk. But that was about it. I think HL gets way to much credit for the AI and not enough for the scripting.

I don't think HL2 will be a repeat of the original as far as mods are concerned. One reason is because BF1942 is modder heaven, and it already has support for vehicles, which suck in all the HL mods I've played.

D3 will probably be slow on the mod pickup. I think Quake 4 will be the next big mod game, since they've said it'll have a huge multiplayer focus as well as single player =)

And on HL SP being buggy, I couldn't play it for two weeks after I bought it because my CD drive wasn't connected to by sound card, and since the game couldn't play the music from the CD it assumed that my CD wasn't in the drive. That, my friends, is a really lame bug.

138 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo