Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

OFP2 = Vietnam War?

Tactical Squad has a post up offering their speculation that the yet-to-be-revealed theater of operations in the just-announced Operation Flashpoint sequel (story) will be Vietnam. The site is in French, but no translation is required to judge their evidence, which is the comparison of the image on the Operation Flashpoint 2 Website to an image on The Vietnam War Website. Obviously this would not represent conclusive evidence one way or the other, but they are indeed correct that the shots are identical.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. No subject Apr 17, 2003, 18:37 wasrad

"Imagine walking down the road and you die."

I dont know which version you have been playing, but in my version of OFP that does happen. Seemingly alot when Im not in command and the AI is...AS rather.

I jsut hope in this one, they give the AI the desire to survive and not leave that completly to the commander.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Why Vietnam and not anything more modern Apr 17, 2003, 15:22 MammaPJ

The problem is if you go to something more modern since 1985, the gap between US and other countries in military technology has been widening. Most countries have all but given up matching the US in conventional military technology and quantity of it because the US pretty much will never be beaten in that department. I'm not saying this because I'm American; it's just true. The US has too many natural resources, and a well developed arms industry. There are pros and cons to this, and I'm not saying the US is the greatest country in the world because of this either.

This is partly why some countries, particularly "rogue nations" as the US has labeled them, have turned to unconventional military tactics and weapons, such as terrorism and Weapons of Mass Destruction.

Well, you can't really do much in Flashpoint with nukes, chemical, and bio weapons. Imagine walking down the road and you die. WOOHOO! FUNFUNFUN! Or clicking a mouse to put your gas mask on wouldn't change the game as more fun either. Or a bright flash of light, so you put your head between your legs to kiss your butt goodbye wouldn't be much fun either.

So if you keep it conventional, you'd be going against an enemy with weapons *at best* are comparable to 1985 Russian weapons, where as US weapons have improved since, particularly with tanks whose armor won't be penetrated with Russian RPG's now. That would be incredibly dumb. They could just call the game Operation Anal Rape.

28. Re: Bah! Apr 17, 2003, 11:20 Sty

to the guy who wanted a more "modern" war game than vietnam, you will find that most field combat/infantry tactics/weapons and basic methods of operation havent changed even today from Vietnam.

I was refering to the scenarios, not the tactics. Read a little closer next time, I even gave examples.

...for the most part the "grunts" still do things the ole fashioned way.

Also many of the "ole fashioned way" tactics were learned in the Korean Conflict as well and some are still in use today from the WW2 battlefield. Yippie! Doesn't take a genius nor a scholar to figure that one out. Any lump that went through basic knows it. Here's your cookie.

You know selling dlc before you patch the client doesn't impress upon me the need to support your shit. -massdev

27. Re: Bah! Apr 17, 2003, 05:03 hebrew_national

to the guy who wanted a more "modern" war game than vietnam, you will find that most field combat/infantry tactics/weapons and basic methods of operation havent changed even today from Vietnam.

to Para-phrase a retired general on CNN: "these guys talking about all this new "information war" examples dont know what they're talking about. See the pictures of them invading [iraqi city] and that could have been saigon.."

Now dont come back with esoteric examples of modern infantry warfare, because for the most part the "grunts" still do things the ole fashioned way.

26. Re: Bah! Apr 17, 2003, 00:49 Lactose The Intolerant

we need a game where you could kill americans i wonder how well that would sell

Red Hammer sold well

25. Bah! Apr 16, 2003, 23:57 Ray Marden

Whatever this upcoming game may or may not be based upon, I hope that I can actually get into it and not be drawn out by the problems/quirks of the game.

Crossing my fingers :),
Ray

------------------------------------------------------
"Reminder: Personal attacks = nono"
"Posting to pretend you are someone else is on the official no-no list too."
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
Currently playing: Emperor's Tomb (shut up), IGI 2, Raven Shield, Tenchu 3, and Wind Waker.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

24. Re: Where's Independence Lost? Apr 16, 2003, 23:44 wasrad

Grand Theft Auto 3 has sold very well.

23. Re: Where's Independence Lost? Apr 16, 2003, 23:44 Fungu

You're right fred.

Everyone, I am taking a stand. I wish you would join me. We will stand against glorification of murder and death caused by wars that have happened around the world. We will stand against the corrupt administrations who started these wars. We will stand up and yell for all the world to hear: Where is Operation Bluesnews Troll?

We must glorify the destruction of this dull, and boring race of man.

22. Re: Where's Independence Lost? Apr 16, 2003, 23:41 Delthefunkeehomosapien

2 posts downs got a point, there just glorifying one of the USA's biggest mistakes....we need a game where you could kill americans i wonder how well that would sell...

21. Re: Where's Independence Lost? Apr 16, 2003, 23:27 sponge

You mean if the USA threw it's baby off the mountain? Would that be like Canada or something?

20. Re: Where's Independence Lost? Apr 16, 2003, 22:41 fredrickson

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Apr 17, 11:36.

19. Re: Where's Independence Lost? Apr 16, 2003, 22:33 Sty

Whatever happened to Independence Lost?

It disappeared long ago. Seventh supposedly started on it after he was picked up by BIS (BIS Australia). It and his Operation Vietnam mod both faded away after awhile. Would make sense if they took his work into the next step.

You know selling dlc before you patch the client doesn't impress upon me the need to support your shit. -massdev

18. Vietnam NYET!! Apr 16, 2003, 21:44 mcsterls

Vietnam, get the f out of here. Who wants to play through that depressing scenerio. There's no glory to be had in that. Be it French colonialism or keeping the Reds out, how is that going to be fun.

Also, I think it would be pretty tough to generate the sheer ammount of jungle underbrush needed to make it feel denser then forests on the islands in Flashpoint. Sure the jungle levels on SOF2 were lush but you couldn't really wander around and have the Freedom of movement Flaspoint let you have.

I just hope the citys are more convinving with better houses to go into, and maybe small arms. More then once I ran dry on ammo and a .45 would have been a nice backup.

McSterls

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 21:47.

17. No subject Apr 16, 2003, 21:32 wasrad

IT IS NOT A GAME BASED ON THE VIETNAM WAR!

16. No subject Apr 16, 2003, 21:10 Fungu

*sigh*

Another Nam game, I'm so tired of jungles.

15. Re: Where's Independence Lost? Apr 16, 2003, 20:28 JoeBlack

Oh yeah, for those of you who are also wondering what happened to VBS1 (Virtual Battlefield System): http://www.virtualbattlefieldsystems.com/

14. Where's Independence Lost? Apr 16, 2003, 20:26 JoeBlack

Whatever happened to Independence Lost?

13. Re: No subject Apr 16, 2003, 19:04 anon@24.76

Well hopefully these guys will have the balls to show the US getting its ass kicked out of that country.

12. well Apr 16, 2003, 19:04 Shataan

"The Vietnam game bandwagon is about to collapse from the weight."

I disagree. I think it would be awesome if a GOOD Vietnam game came around. Something with an honest to goodness next gen engine. Egads the stuff of late still looks dated as all hell.

Funny how no one here cried their azzes off when all the WW2 games arrived in traditional GLUT form. LOL

I loved FP. My only problem with it was the lack of really well done stock mp maps. And then to let a nOOb community turn out such crap with the editor. It didn`t help the player community IMHO. But it sure made one heck of a mappers community.

Anther thing, hopefully they do way better ingame sound next time. A mod dude named Satchal came out with his Dynamic Sound Mod for FP, and it totally kicked BIS`s ass all over in the sound effects department. Anyone who hasn`t tried it, has no clue what they are missing.

11. No subject Apr 16, 2003, 18:45 wasrad

Stop worrying that it is going to be based on The Vietnam War.

If anyone actually played OFP, they would know it was a fictional war on fictional islands.

This will be a war that never happened.

Jeez.

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo