Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Enter the Six Matrix CDs

Matrix Times Six? on PC.IGN.Com (thanks Ant) has details on packaging for the upcoming Matrix tie-in, reporting that the PC version will come on six CDs, saying: "Infogrames reps didn't bust out the specifics, but we do know the PC version will be somewhat pricier than its console counterparts."

View
89 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

89. Re: No subject Apr 22, 2003, 23:11 Zombi Z

Piracy was far from the point. It was once said that there is nothing with output that cannot be copied. I imagine piracy and data interception to be possible even with quantum computing. In theory quantum computing could be perfectly secured, but then 640kb of conventional memory ought to be enough for everybody. I'm certain the originator of the quote can be easily found, but this is a sin of the aim.

The aim is that DVD9 offers obvious and significant advantages to managing six frikkin CD's. Pray for the bastards who conduct a full install or even a partial install of a six-CD game! Assuming Enter the Matrix turns out to be a noteworthy 20-30 hour romp, either the game takes 45-75 minutes to fully install vs. the plug-and-play (or 'pray') of a console, or you swap CD's 3-6 times (say for instance two or three CD's were just textures and dialogue and the other CD's were geometry and cut scenes, of which textures and sound could be installed while level geometry and FMV were streamed from the CD's) for a few hours of gameplay.

DVD-R can be spun at slower speeds for greater output, and if one finds the Playstation's 4x drive to load and run software with acceptable speed, then surely the Pioneer slot-loading 106S DVD-ROM drive's minimum approximate 6.6X (8.91MB/s) will satisfy as well as it's maximum approximate 16X (21.6MB/s, I'm so proud of the damned thing) speeds creating the possibility of the long-lost long-coveted 'Zero Install' that console gamers frequently enjoy. PC Games could be run entirely from the disc and load far faster than their console counterparts as both faster drives are available and heavy compression to fit into limited memory wouldn't be necessary facilitating 256MB- 2GB of a PC's system memory.

How many 1.44MB floppies were required to install The Ultimate Doom? Four? Versus the simple fact that one 640MB or 700MB CD could install every Doom-engine game ever made? How many floppies were required for the Windows 98SE distribution? I think (unconfirmed) twenty-five? Again, versus one CD? My highest-held argument is that the 700MB CD format is no longer sufficient for most A-List games, and six CD's is far in excess. Many could easily cross their arms look downward and nod to the fact that 700MB CD's are no longer sufficient to backup what must be salvaged for a long overdue low-level format 'n' reinstall. One CD can barely contain the latest WindowsOS, LinuxOS distributions hold 3 CD's as the standard, and all require shelf space in the physical world. Would you like to install Soldier of Fortune II from 2.88MB or the abominable 120MB-Superdisc floppies?

The time for DVD is at hand, and it comes down to the existing facilities for printing retail DVD-R media for consoles and DVD-players (whine about GameCube for the good it'll do ya) and physical shelf space for a jewel-case DVD game in the bargain bin versus a *cough* *cough* six CD game.

If DVD became the rule, I could see even the PC's recent retail minibox distributions giving way to the then all-encompassing standard double-height DVD cases taking up less shelf space plus having the advantage of allowing PC gamers to preserve the retail case- namely the cover art. Before the jackasses in the crowd point to one simple point and throw the whole rant out ("We should switch to DVD for cover art? Oh piss off..."), consider the Soccer Mom mentality. (No, I'm not implying that your mother buys your software; she shouldn't simply because if you still live with your parents you know that 'Parental Controls' really means sheltering your parents from offensive content) PC Games shipped in DVD cases with greater standardization in labeling would look just as valid to non-gamers as console games with like packaging who would previously dispose of PC gaming as a crashes 'n' bugs fiasco endured by mentally damaged hamburger shovelers in white paper hats; further mainstream recognition could ensue.

It is very likely I will never again see this thread (bullshit, my ego will keep me coming back, I like attention); should anything written here dignify an emotional response or the wiping of one's feet with my head, please send e-mail directly to lindseyszombiz@hotmail.com
This comment was edited on Apr 22, 23:37.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

88. Re: No subject Apr 22, 2003, 13:22 DrEvil

Don't buy it because its not on DVD? Excellent logic.

DVD's are gonna do 2 things to piracy. Jack and shit. They will still get imaged, they will still get distributed, and daemon-tools will still mount them. And god bless daemon-tools for that.

87. Re: No subject Apr 22, 2003, 02:10 Zombi Z

As GLQuake pushed hardware sales for Voodoo boards, MGS2: Substance, and any future titles published on DVD-R or even DVD-R-only formats will push sales of DVD-ROM drives. There is no longer a sensibilty to continuosly push A-List titles through the trenches in 2-Disc (Average, slightly bothersome), 3-Disc ("Mafia", "RallySport Challenge" port), and 4-Disc ("Baldur's Gate", Final Fantasy VII and VIII ports) and up distributions when DVD drives can be had for no more than $60 (y'know, instead of buying another game, expand your compatibility across the board?) and most OEM machines come with DVD-ROM drives standard or as cheap-or-free upgrade packages. Now we face a title that may never see DVD-R format in a six disk distribution. I'm sorry, but no matter how good the game turns out I cannot support the title with my $50 in CD format. If publishers are willing to make the big push to DVD9 we will have fewer disks to manage, fewer to print when publishing, and piracy will likely come to a temporary slowdown while DVD-Burner drives are still too expensive for the common man to own without buying with an OEM machine. Hardware will only slowly sell better software while software and media thereof has a far more dramatic affect on hardware sales and advancement. Please consider boycotting the CD-R format even if your finances don't currently support the purchase of a DVD-ROM drive. The game and the industry deserve it.

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 06:58.

86. Indiana Jones Apr 21, 2003, 14:20 Ray Ban

Doesn't anyone remember Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade? Now that was a excellent game. Based on a movie!

"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!"

85. Re: A Clarification Apr 20, 2003, 23:01 nin

Aliens V.S. Predator "Does Not Count" when making the argument, whether for or against, that all movie games "Suck".

Actually, I believe he said the game (AvP) was based on 2 movies. And saying something sucks or not is totally based on opinion. It can't be proven as fact, one way or another.

You want a good game based on a movie (again, only my opinion)? How about Goldeneye on the N64!

Edit: Oh, and those 2 Tron arcade games weren't bad, either...

Supporter of the "A happy fredster is a muted fredster" fanclub.
This comment was edited on Apr 20, 23:08.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

84. A Clarification Apr 20, 2003, 21:10 Icewind

To the man who cited Aliens V.S. Predator as an example of movie games that succeeded...you are misinformed.

Aliens V.S. Predator was never a movie. Although there were Comics, the script for the movie was never picked up, and therefore, it was never blessed by a silver screen appearance.

Aliens V.S. Predator "Does Not Count" when making the argument, whether for or against, that all movie games "Suck".

The fact is, they do. Without any exceptions. This Matrix game may be the one to break the mold (In much the same way Freedom Force broke the Super Hero game mold) but I highly doubt it will.

83. Re: No subject Apr 19, 2003, 12:54 DusterAZ

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 1, 11:21.

82. Re: No subject Apr 19, 2003, 12:22 Kev

I understand what you mean. I too have never seen a good movie based game BUT this game is done by the same guys who made the movie, not a random gaming company. The Matrix game reminds me of Max Payne on steriods. (amazing)... Maybe the developers didn't put it on DVD because not ever pc user has a dvd player. On the playstation it makes sense to to a dvd format since it's a dvd player. -k

81. No subject Apr 19, 2003, 03:21 teh mane mahn

Yeah, AVP was a good game and it was based on two movies.  
_____

The possible pain, suffering and sacrifice of discovery are by no means an excuse to remain ignorant.

The bartering of things sought earned are by a means which only little men can abide by and hope to achieve.

80. Re: No subject Apr 19, 2003, 02:35 Midnight

> Well i've never seen a good movie based game in my life,
> and i'm not expecting I ever will.

What about Alien vs Predator???

http://www.crimsondark.com

79. Re: Erm....... Apr 18, 2003, 19:46 Von Helmet

Correct Satyric0n. The sky texture for the lava type map is 43.5MB. There's bigger ones than that too.

78. Re: Erm....... Apr 18, 2003, 17:36 Satyric0n

Hmm... I'm pretty sure he's saying that there was a single texture that was 40MBs, not that the whole bonus pack was only 40MBs...

77. Re: Erm....... Apr 18, 2003, 17:11 AfroFire

I was installing one of the bonus packs the other day and I think I saw a sky texture that was about 40MB or something.

Only 40 megs? Sheesh, go download Asheron's Call 2's High Res pack. A little over 1 gig.

76. Re: No subject Apr 17, 2003, 19:08 Ray Marden

From my experience, "average" CD/DVD drives are about the same speed these days, at least considering their average transfer rates. It is not that a DVD drive is faster or slower than a CD drive, just that its different technology (different laser, more condensed pits) lets a DVD store much more date on a single disc than a CD. All of our dicussions aside, it really just comes down to price and market acceptance.

Unless/until they change their minds (whatever happened to the DVD version that was listed???), the PC version will be the only version not released on some type of DVD format.

Ignoring the newer, multi-purpose drivers/lasers,
Ray

Edit: I truly have some bizarre typos.
------------------------------------------------------
"Reminder: Personal attacks = nono"
"Posting to pretend you are someone else is on the official no-no list too."
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
Currently playing: Emperor's Tomb (shut up), IGI 2, Raven Shield, Tenchu 3, and Wind Waker.
This comment was edited on Apr 19, 00:50.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

75. Re: 6 Freakin CDs Apr 17, 2003, 15:49 Pedle Zelnip

Well, I think the reason Myst helped usher the CD-ROM era in is because it was a game that appealed to more audiences than just the "hardcore gamer" group (for example, I know a lot of parents who got into Myst). So while I'm sure I'll enjoy both the Matrix game and GTA:VC, I don't think either of these fit the bill as being appealing to all audiences.

Now if the Sims comes out with a "Super FMV enabled high-res texture" version, that spans 8 CD's, that might do it.

One thing to note though in regards to the move to DVD being just like the move from floppy to CD-ROM, one notable difference is that a CD-ROM holds the equivalent of several hundred floppies, whereas a DVD is what, about 6 or 8 CD's? So while the move to CD allowed developers to really do some stuff they couldn't do on floppy, I don't see the move to DVD doing much more than just alleviating an inconvenience for gamers. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the move to DVD, I'm just saying it's not that surprising that the move hasn't already occured.

PZ
This comment was edited on Apr 17, 15:51.

PZ
------------

74. Re: 6 Freakin CDs Apr 17, 2003, 13:29 sponge

DVD drives are less than $100.

We need a game like Myst or 7th Guest to do for DVDs what they did for CDs.

73. No subject Apr 17, 2003, 12:51 Nonicknameforme

Well i've never seen a good movie based game in my life, and i'm not expecting I ever will. On the other hand maby DVD's just dont move the data fast enough, or they dont think the game will be good enough to sell DVD's. Shiny has some great games, they are just usualy amazgingly linear, so cutsceen's would be a mainstay in a Matrix game.

As far as DVD's being better for piracy, google for iso buster, awsome tool for those stupid xNix flavors that insist in coming in ISO files. I always thought it was amazingly stupid to have a format you cant just "un-zip."

Anyhow i'll just be doing a full install if I do get the game, but i will also be waiting on reviews and a demo. After Unreal 2, no more blind buying for me.

"I'm too much of a narcisist to really hate stupid people."

72. Re: Erm....... Apr 17, 2003, 06:11 Von Helmet

You don't know why games have to be so big? Have you seen the textures in Unreal 2003? They're enormous. The reason? They look amazing.

I was installing one of the bonus packs the other day and I think I saw a sky texture that was about 40MB or something.

71. Re: 6 Freakin CDs Apr 17, 2003, 03:51 Morphine

For God's Sake, (And everyone else), they should start pushing for more games to be on DVD. Pros for it are: less piracy (ISO Copies anyway), better quality, more content could be implemented.

What's the price of DVD drives nowadays? STUFF ALL. Publishers should start looking at the future. 6 CDs. Ludicrous.

70. Re: Erm....... Apr 17, 2003, 02:58 Soupkin

blah all i have is my good old 8x burner.. no need to go out and spend good money on a dvd drive for my computer. im never going to watch a dvd on my computer so theres no need unless this is going to be more comon in games.. i dont know why games need to be so big anyways.. they seem to be all ports that have 3+ cds

Im Soupkin.
I hope i dont have aids.

Im Soupkin.
I hope i dont have aids.
http://users.ign.com/collection/Serious_Soup)
Postal 2 sucks.

89 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo