Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Call of Duty Calls

Activision Introduces Call of Duty, A New Brand of First Person Action Games is the press release with the official announcement of plans for the Quake III-engine World War II action game that's already been unofficially unveiled (story). There is also a preview of the game on GameSpy.com with the first screenshot that's been released. Here's a bit from the announcement on this on the cross-platform game, planned as the first in a series:

The first title in the Call of Duty series is a gritty, authentic World War II action game for the PC that is being developed by Infinity Ward, a newly formed studio that includes 22 of the individuals who previously developed Medal of Honor: Allied Assault(TM). Players assume the role of different characters from multiple sides of the Allied forces and experience the bonding and brutality of war as they fight along side their squad mates through a variety of missions, including battlefield assaults, search and rescue, stealth, sabotage, vehicle chases and tank battles. Heeding the call of duty, gamers step into the boots of a U.S. paratrooper, a British commando and a Russian infantryman as they take on the Nazi War machine through pivotal World War II battles and authentic military campaigns. The title is slated for release later this year and has not yet been rated by the ESRB.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: How shitty must graphics get? Apr 9, 2003, 18:51 fredrickson

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Apr 9, 21:42.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: How shitty must graphics get? Apr 9, 2003, 07:12 wasp

It'd be cool if they made a WWX themed FPS in which you were lost in the forest/village for 30 years with your gun(s) and you thought the war was still on. Now your goal is to find out what is going on with ppl/mutants who are trying to kill you with newer technological weapons (lasers etc..) You carry a dark secret about earth's past that they would rather uhh, extinguish

Cheers,
wasp

23. Re: How shitty must graphics get? Apr 9, 2003, 00:39 fredrickson

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Apr 9, 07:28.

22. Re: How shitty must graphics get? Apr 8, 2003, 22:22 Chance

Personally, I think there is a lot that could be done with a WW II themed fps. If they have larger environments, less linear gameplay and better AI it could be different -- and good. And realistic gameplay. BF 1942 has the look but not the substance. DoD or MoH:AA are both better IMO.

*edit* Oh, and hopefully that "multiplayer support alongside it's single player action" includes coop.

This comment was edited on Apr 8, 22:25.

21. Re: How shitty must graphics get? Apr 8, 2003, 20:18 Rockwell

Call of Duty, sounds like a FPS police action game.

Enough already with these WWII themed games! or do something different. Like one where you star as the bad guys instead.

20. Re: How shitty must graphics get? Apr 8, 2003, 18:05 World war 3

hm? Somebody called?

_______________________ __ _

http://www.worldwar3.cjb.net Updated December 25th

http://www.worldwar3.cjb.net Updated April 17th 2009

19. Re: How shitty must graphics get? Apr 8, 2003, 17:24 sc4r4b

Wiggamoe-- While you are entitled to your opinion I am going to have to disagree with it... I don't believe the Unreal2 engine is any better or worse for that matter. When it comes down to it, the graphical style it is up to the artist. It is possible have a top of the line engine with shitty graphics... Also, Unreal2 may be able to push a lot of polygons but its frame rate still suffers. At least these guys are using proven technology which should run well.

Although, I really hate to say this but I think the FPSWWII genre has been overdone... I say bring on WWIII.

18. Re: Another WW2 FPS? Apr 8, 2003, 16:14 Xion

1. the developers rarely get to choose which screenshots are released to the public. Honestly this is usually handled by the publisher

2. They probably stuck with Q3, because Activision wants this game developed on the Q3 engine. Probably due to the fact that this title should run on just about any machine.

I can guarentee right now that the majority of gamers out there between the ages of 15-25 do not have a system capable of Doom 3 rendering. They hit a much larger market target by delivering a decent game with a technology thats widely used and established.

3. The majority of people who complain about these kinds of titles in development are also alot of the same people who feel they can do better.

Until you are in a position in your life, where you are doing something better...you really have no other merit than the given right to an open opinion.

17. Hmmmm... Apr 8, 2003, 15:59 Bunko

Looks sorta like a "me too" game. Their was a short preview in PCGAMER that mentioned a few more details. It sounds just like Medal of Honor with some added realsim. I dunno. Currently it doesn't look like much but you really can't tell. I don't mind all the WWII games coming out right now. As long as they're good. But no one has made my dream game yet : a realistic WWII game with continuos play in the European campaign. None of this mission based crap. Continuos action and storytelling, like in Half-Life and Deus Ex. That would be great.

PS : DoD is awesome! That graphics aren't that bad and the gameplay kicks ass. Best. Mod. Ever.

--------------------------------------------------
Bunko
TI-83+ Graphing Calculator, 64k Memory, 1" Display
Not good for ninja fights.

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22

16. Re: Another WW2 FPS? Apr 8, 2003, 15:25 Wolfen

"Can't developers sit still after they've finished a game? We'll soon be running out of names for the number of studios/development houses/etc that are set up, release a single game (or no game at all) and then fold"

Well, they had there reasons for leaving, I will give them that. But really. I still say, that wasnt the best shot to release haha.

15. Re: Another WW2 FPS? Apr 8, 2003, 15:23 Tobalt

Hrmm...Sounds kinda like Operation Flashpoint...cept in WWII. OFP had the same basic idea: taking the role of various characters in one overall storyline. Still one of my favorites.

14. Bring it on Apr 8, 2003, 14:52 Some Dude

Personally, I can't wait. Battlefield is a fun game, but it hasn't convinced me that it's a WWII game. Sure the setting is there; the vehicles, weapons and uniforms look right. But it does not immerse me in WWII like MoH or even (the non-zombie/mutant levels of) Wolfenstein. I say bring it on.

13. Re: How shitty must graphics get? Apr 8, 2003, 13:53 Da-Fly

I'm inclined to agree. Obviously these guys stuck with Q3 because its what they know. By doing so I'm sure they minimise their development time / costs.
For a newly formed dev team I'm sure they'll want to bring in some swift revenue, which they probably will with this - it just probably won't break any new ground.
Personally I'd have been more impressed had they licenced the updated Gore engine with all the Doom3-esque features.

As for being 'another' WW2 game. Yes, very dull.
Personally I'd like to play a Los Angeles circa 1991 gang warfare game. Team-based, vehicles, drive-bys, cops, drugs, hoes... oh yes

12. No subject Apr 8, 2003, 13:50 bluesdude

more WWII, and likely more of what's already done. I really doubt this game is going to best battlefield in multiplayer or even try, so what's the point? everyone knows it but this industry is so damn monkey see, monkey do.

11. Re: UGH? Apr 8, 2003, 13:41 Pete

Radar_2 for day of defeat has had cows for a while now...

Doin' it Big

10. How shitty must graphics get? Apr 8, 2003, 13:31 Wiggamoe

These graphics are incredibly shitty. Q3... hmmm, that was so long ago. Using an old ass engine is unacceptable. Unreal2 is much better...

9. Re: UGH? Apr 8, 2003, 13:27 Atomic

I mean, that doesnt look apealing in a design, graphic, or fun wise.

Are you kidding? You can hide behind cows, man!

COWS!

This comment was edited on Apr 8, 13:28.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

8. Re: Another WW2 FPS? Apr 8, 2003, 12:52 World war 3

That looks like a nice.. q3 mod.
Lame skybox, everything else except for the good atmoshphere , comes straight out of MOHAA. One can only fantasise that this explosion and the flying soldier isn't prescripted, and that they've implemented deformable terrain and good physics ('ragdoll'). But that doesn't help, does it?

http://www.worldwar3.cjb.net Updated December 25th

http://www.worldwar3.cjb.net Updated April 17th 2009

7. Re: Another WW2 FPS? Apr 8, 2003, 12:23 Greedo

being developed by Infinity Ward, a newly formed studio that includes 22 of the individuals who previously developed Medal of Honor

Can't developers sit still after they've finished a game? We'll soon be running out of names for the number of studios/development houses/etc that are set up, release a single game (or no game at all) and then fold

6. Finally! Apr 8, 2003, 12:21 CableGuy

Man, after all these years, we'll learn first-hand the horrors of the second world war. Surely this will the be the game that will end all war.

Seriously though, what the crap? I mean, a bunch of disgruntled MOH programmers leave and go create... MOH? Branch out! Heck, Iron Storm wasn't the best game out there, but it took a tired theme (friggin' world war) and totally turned it on its head. It tried to mix the atmosphere of real-world war with a bit of fantasy for interest. I think the BF1942 team is on the right track with Secret Weapons. Instead of just making "BF1942: Russkie Winter Madness!" or something, they're getting a bit fantastical, mixing it up. I know WWII was a monumental moment in humanity, and that the men who fought were heroes for all time, do we really need another clone FPS to remind us?

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo