Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

More on Valve and Activision

Activision and Valve Announce Multi-Title Publishing Partnership (thanks ToTheGame) is the press release officially announcing the new deal between the developer and the publisher for Valve's upcoming PC games. Here's the deal: "Included under the terms of the agreement, Activision has acquired the publishing rights to Day of Defeat, a multiplayer game powered by Valve's Half-Life technology. Day of Defeat is scheduled for release this May."

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Upcoming PC game***S***?? Apr 5, 2003, 20:22 Lactose The Intolerant

Steam will own your soul

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Upcoming PC game***S***?? Apr 5, 2003, 19:29 Creston

What PC GameSSSSS (plural) would that be exactly? I'm sure Activision is all excited about getting to publish all Valve's vaporware.

And if anybody is fucking stupid enough to actually BUY Day of Defeat, I hope they get locked up in a room with fredrickson for a day or two...

Creston

8. Re: This makes it Official... Apr 5, 2003, 17:10 rock climber

i like your site

its very updated!

--
cock climber aka rock climber

7. Valve's track record Apr 5, 2003, 13:02 Ratty

"Valve has a proven track record of creating ground-breaking games with worldwide appeal"
As much as I try to stay away from the Valve bashing threads I just couldn't let this quote go by without a choice comment. Except now I can't think of anything to say.

6. Re: This makes it Official... Apr 5, 2003, 10:37 World war 3

Sierra gave Valve carte-blanche to do whatever, whenever, and not hold them to a schedule on new products, or try to recoup fundage for the massive support costs of the HL online systems, etc, etc.

Hopefully this publisher switch puts an end to that, and we can look forward to some new material (HL2, TF2) on this year's E3.

It looks a bit like Sierra invested a lot in Valve, and now, now that games have been in development for 4 years or so, Activision is going to walk away with the profits.

_______________________ __ _

http://www.worldwar3.cjb.net Updated December 25th

http://www.worldwar3.cjb.net Updated April 17th 2009

5. Re: This makes it Official... Apr 5, 2003, 07:29 Ray Marden

As you pointed out, Sierra has essentially been "dead" for some time now. Regardless of whether or not one thinks Valve/Sierra just keep on repackaging Half-Life, Valve has been making nice piles of money for Sierra for quite some time now. I think that Valve is working on much more than gamers give the company credit for, but even looking at just Half-Life, Valve has far more to offer Sierra than Sierra has to offer Valve. If anytihng, I am surprised that Valve put up with Sierra as long as it did...

Watching another big, famous publisher bite the dust,
Ray

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Reminder: Personal attacks = nono" Be nice...or else!
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=ANF&id=ray_marden
Currently playing: IGI 2, Raven Shield, Tenchu 3, and Wind Waker.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

4. Re: No subject Apr 5, 2003, 06:34 Halo

Somebody said it before, sierra doesnt make games anymore, they just repackage halflife and slap a new title on it.
"Collectors" "platinum" "limited edition" same kinda things they put on DVDs to make them sound rare.

~Steve

3. No subject Apr 5, 2003, 02:44 KilrathiAce

TF2 = vaporware , TF2 supposed to come out at first before Quake3Arena so the feeling of vapor is much more than crap

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

2. This makes it Official... Apr 4, 2003, 23:46 HBringer

Sierra is dead. End of Story. Those of us that used to work for the company knew since the big layoffs in 2001 that the company was going down the tubes and possibly not coming back - but this seals the deal IMHO. I still have friends and former co-workers there; and I'm sure they're working on some quality products... But to me this signals the true end of Sierra's significance in the market.

Endless and futile (at least regarded so by many non-management-types) hopes were pinned on the TRIBES and Half-Life franchises coming back with a couple of blockbusters to re-invigorate the company, especially from a cash-flow standpoint. Sierra gave Valve carte-blanche to do whatever, whenever, and not hold them to a schedule on new products, or try to recoup fundage for the massive support costs of the HL online systems, etc, etc.

Either Sierra has given up on Valve totally (something I can't imagine, although HL2 and TF2 are both starting to get that "Daikatana feeling"), or Valve has given up on Sierra.

*sigh* Time to break out the old Commodore64 and re-live that time when new genres were being invented, thought-provoking games were still successfully produced, and the sky was the limit!

--Noel

1. Plural? Apr 4, 2003, 22:14 Moonbender

Upcoming games? So there's more than one? What could that be ... Action HL retail? Frontline Force retail? Or is Valve going into the RTS market with Natural Selection retail?

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo