Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

HotHardware.Com's Vintage PC Collection offers some blast-from-the-past vintage PC pin-ups. Good nostalgia for us proto-geeks... they don't have my old Atari 800XL, but I got a warm glow just looking at the photo of the Texas Instruments Ti-99/4A, and, of course, the Commodore 64. I have a virtually new Commodore 128 I picked up a few years ago... I have to bust that bad boy out one of these days and see if it fires up... Loderunner anyone?

Play Time: Etch-A-Sketch. Thanks Mike Martinez. Someone sent this in already, but it was down when I checked it.
Link of the Day: Top 100 April Fool's Day Hoaxes of All Time. Thanks Zdim.
The dullest blog in the world. Thanks Buclerpp.
Stories of the Day: N.Y. Museum's Sleek New Big Blue. Thanks Mike Martinez.
Los Angeles Times - Editor's Note. Thanks Chris Johnson. Wonder how often this goes on?
TechdirtIs? Your Television Watching You. Thanks Mike Martinez.
Auction of the Day: Kawasaki KLR 650 World Tourer.
Follow-up: Hacker cracks Xbox challenge. Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Atari800XL Apr 4, 2003, 09:30 nin

You guys ever been here? (sorry about the pop-ups):

http://www.the-underdogs.org

I think they only handle PC software though...and the BSA was after them awhile back.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Atari800XL Apr 4, 2003, 07:24 Bronco

does anyone know of an atari emulator which runs The Eidolon
playable?

Did you try this one? I haven't played around with Atari emulation for a while but I think the problem in the past with the Lucasarts games was that they required 64K and many emulators don't emulate that very well. This one supposedly does.

However, be aware that these games had super heavy duty copy protection so that may be your problem as well.

It may be easier to just cruise some yardsales and buy an old one.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org
I'd be a Libertarian, if they weren't all a bunch of tax-dodging professional whiners.

-TPFKAS2S

35. Re: Atari800XL Apr 4, 2003, 07:14 Bronco

Hell I just pulled all the old 5.25 out... Jeesh, there's Spy vs. Spy, Boulderdash, Mountain King, Star Fleet, Bhind Jaggi Lines, Relm of Impossibility... crap, I'm going to be up all night playing these...

Behind Jaggi lines.

I remember letting the downed pilot bang on the airlock for 2-3 minutes, laughing that the guy was stuck out there.

Then when the first alien popped up I just about crapped my pants.

That was a great gaming momment.

I can remember waiting forever for the tape drive to play through the program to load a game. Oh and the sounds it would make while loading. Sounded like a bad Van Halen drum solo. Could you imagine waiting that long for a game to load now?

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org
I'd be a Libertarian, if they weren't all a bunch of tax-dodging professional whiners.

-TPFKAS2S

34. Re: Atari800XL Apr 4, 2003, 04:52 TiberiusBlue

rescue on fractalus nice shocking effect (the pilots that were aliens smashed your front window in, if you didn't let them inside or shot them fast enough :))

does anyone know of an atari emulator which runs The Eidolon
playable? i can't get it to run atari800win (http://www.concentric.net/~Twist/atari800win/ otherwise its a nice emulator)?

ciao,
tibor

33. Re: Atari800XL Apr 3, 2003, 22:36 Lord ALF

Yes, the original Wolfenstien rocked... and scared the sh*t out of me every time you'd run into one of the walls...that god awful sound it would make.

Remember all the original LucasArts games? Electrogylde, Koronis Rift, and Dragon's Eye. Lucas rocked then too.

Hell I just pulled all the old 5.25 out... Jeesh, there's Spy vs. Spy, Boulderdash, Mountain King, Star Fleet, Bhind Jaggi Lines, Relm of Impossibility... crap, I'm going to be up all night playing these...

Ah, the good old days.

best,
-ALF

~~ and then the lord said, "BOOYA!" ~~

32. Re: Atari800XL Apr 3, 2003, 21:33 Tony!!!

Oh yea, I remember Load Runner and Mule and The ORIGINAL Wolfenstien. Looking back, my god, I can believe how zealous i've been. I just don't get sick of it.
Anyone ever play Legacy of the Ancients?

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

31. Re: Atari800XL Apr 3, 2003, 21:30 Tony!!!

lol, Thanks Lord Alf. Check out the second Link you gave me under lyrics. I was DEAD ON with the armor song after 15 years. OMG! I am nerd, hear me roar. The graphics on the Commodore 64 version were better than the atari's.
Awwwww, only us original gamers can truely apreciate the evolution of gaming technology. For we are the catalyst, the begining of the greatest evolution of mankind, Gaming.

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)

30. Re: Atari800XL Apr 3, 2003, 18:28 Jedi Master

I first had the Atari 400--16K ROM, 32K RAM! The worst was the keyboard--it was this flat membrane POS. An hour of typing and you had blisters!
I still had my 800XL until recently when I decided to just keep the 130XE instead. Practically it was the same system. Although it had twice the RAM (128k) in theory, it had some crap where it was 2 totally separate banks! You could use one OR the other! That plus the fact that the PC Jr was starting to intrude at that time, followed shortly by the HD-capable Atari ST meant the 130XE's extra RAM was never used.
I prefered the 800XL's top-loading cart slot vs the 130's rear-load or the 400/800 cart-in-a-convertible.

The Jedi Master

29. Re: xbox with linux! Apr 3, 2003, 18:15 ExcessDan

i hope lindows goes out of business now

Dan
Intel 486SX, Trident video, 8MB RAM, 14" Generic Monitor, 100 MB HDD, Windows 3.11

ExcessDan

28. xbox with linux! Apr 3, 2003, 17:57 sweetjimmy

YAY! Linux on my xbox! Now I can finally give away my inferior xp2100/nforce2 DDR/gforce4 system!

27. Re: Loderunner Apr 3, 2003, 17:25 Lactose The Intolerant

Star Control 2 is probably one of the best games I ever played, Fred and Paul rock.

26. Re: Loderunner Apr 3, 2003, 17:20 Cholma

Loderunner was a blast. My dad & I played that for hours on our IBM PCjr (no frelling save feature?!) Star Control, Archon, yes yes... but my first computer (not counting the HP teletypes and Commodore PET at school) was a Ti-99/4A. Ah! Tunnels of Doom! Got some of my buddies in the barracks hooked on that one. Order a pizza, couple of 6-packs and spend several hours killing monsters.

25. Re: Atari800XL Apr 3, 2003, 17:02 Lord ALF

Tony, here you go:
http://w1.214.telia.com/~u21405572/alternate-reality/index.html

enjoy!

best,
-ALF

24. Re: Alternate Reality Apr 3, 2003, 16:49 Lord ALF

Here's a review and screenshots of the game for those that don't know:
http://www.ataritimes.com/computers/reviews/rev_altreality.html

(ah the greatness of it all!)

best,
-ALF

23. Alternate Reality Apr 3, 2003, 16:40 Lord ALF

I mapped the whole city out too but never did figure out how to get out. That was the premier RPG for the time, and which I base all RPG against still (sadly not too many compete). I still have that on 5.25 floppy for the XL, but I think the last time I attempted to boot it up it broke... it was either that one or Alternate Reality 2. Can't remember.

MULE was great, and so was Drol. Anyone played that one?

Then there's the classics like Loderunner, Montezuma's Revenge, and Conquest (sorta like Risk but with random maps).

best,
-ALF

22. Re: Atari800XL Apr 3, 2003, 16:32 Tony!!!

Hey, I played Alternate Reality!!! Remember the Smithys song...."Armor, this we have for you we dooooo. Armor, Tools of death we have them Tooooo. Sworrdsssss. WOrth much more than you pay! Sworrdsssss, to hold evil at bayyyyy."

Well over 10 years and I can still remember that one. I didn't think Anyone played ALternate reality. I mapped almost that whole city by hand man. I never got out of the city though. They were supposed to make the Dungeon and Other areas later on. I know they did the dungeon expansion, but never tried it, Or never found it. Man, I loved that game so much. Id sit down, my and my bro with some nachos, and we'd work that game.

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)

21. Best C64 game ever Apr 3, 2003, 16:22 Sasquach

Wasteland

--------------------------------------------------
Kiss my shiny metal butt

--------------------------------------------------
Kiss my shiny metal ass

20. Atari800XL Apr 3, 2003, 15:50 Lord ALF

Anyone remember the Tale of Beta Lyra or Alternate Reality? Damn those were some good games. I still have my Atari 800XL and games. I'll have to pull her out one day and see if she still boots!  
best,
-ALF

19. .... Apr 3, 2003, 15:33 Hump

For sale: One Kidney for the following item

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/10244.asp

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently Playing: Desert Combat .3, Devastation, Blade of Darkness, Starscape demo, Beta testing On Deck: Red Faction 2, Breed

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

18. No Loderunner here.... Apr 3, 2003, 15:31 Mashiki Amiketo

but I'll take a game of GORF on my vic20 any day. Maybe some radar rat race...both were my favorite games when I played on it.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo