Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Win2K Flaw = Extra Bad

Microsoft Windows 2000 Security Flaw Worse Than First Thought is a story on the report that a recently discovered Win2K vulnerability is worse than originally thought, saying "It's important that businesses apply a new patch to all Windows 2000 systems, advisories state -- not just those running Microsoft's IIS Web server software." They quote the advisory as saying: "We expect that a worm attack similar to Nimda will eventually be created using this vulnerability as a primary mechanism. Such a broad 'zero day' attack could be orchestrated as soon as 7-10 days, and is likely in the next month." Vulnerable systems are those "running Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Server, or Professional with either Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 installed." The patch to address this and its related information can be found here. Thanks Darkhorse.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: ... Mar 27, 2003, 12:06 MindTrigger

I'm hoping they port it as well but in reality it will have to be WAY more than just a port. If they do it, I will build an x86 machine running OSX right away. Probably switch my second computer here over to it until the software companies start developing for it.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: ... Mar 27, 2003, 08:53 nin

It's just too bad OS X won't run on x86. I wonder how many people would switch?

I would. In a heartbeat. I've heard this rumor for years now (OS X getting ported), but it always ends up being a cruel joke.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

24. Re: ... Mar 27, 2003, 00:05 Totalitarinism

I HATE microsoft, but I use Mac OS X. WOo Hoo! I don't want to start a mac/win flame war, here. just replying to the last dude's comment. I agree with rock climber. My friend (and some people here) constantly disses microsoft about stuff, but they continue to use windows. It's just too bad OS X won't run on x86. I wonder how many people would switch?

23. Re: ... Mar 26, 2003, 18:42 MindTrigger

I think the Microsoft bashing is funny. I mean, god knows probably 99.99999% of the people bashing it are running Windows on the very computers they post from.

I use both Windows and *nix. Nix is a long, LONG ways away from replacing Windows as my desktop operating system. In fact, the only thing that even has a shot would be OSX, in a few years maybe.

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 18:42.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

22. Re: ... Mar 26, 2003, 17:10 World war 3

My point exactly JM. And definitly not bashing you, Blue, or your news

On a sidenote, none of Id's game since Quake have gotten exactly spotless reviews. Probably because the expectations are allways too high (no matter what de-hyping marketing strategy they're using). But in the end, people love it, and start modding it. It's the technology and the tools which are just as important to an Id game as the initial content.

_______________________ __ _

http://www.worldwar3.cjb.net Updated December 25th

http://www.worldwar3.cjb.net Updated April 17th 2009

21. Re: ... Mar 26, 2003, 16:28 Jedi Master

I don't think it's anything Blue is or isn't doing per se, it's more a comment on the state of the industry and the internet. Back when I went to agn3d and stomped, back in '99-'01, it seemed there was nonstop interesting stuff happening. Now, it seems that there's not a lot going anymore.
The video card wars take 6 months to develop, the CPU wars are kinda out--at least until the debut of Hammer and Prescott. The new Unreal engine is nice, but it's not a *wow* thing. The new Lithtech-or-whatever-they-call-it-now engine is good, but few A-list games use it besides AvP and NOLF. The new DOOM engine is a big story--when something happens, which isn't often. DNF? TF2? Yeah, right.

There seems to be a general malaise in the industry, a "been there, done that" feeling that nothing is new under the sun. Every anticipated "big" game falls short of expectations. Games are evolutionary, not revolutionary. I'd bet 100 billion million kajillion dollars (pinky at mouth) that people will be disappointed in the new Doom and DNF and all these others. They will be JAFG (just another f'n game) with the usual complaints:
Too short
PC req's too high for what you get
Gameplay lacking in lots of areas, even compared to older games
AI not good enough
Multiplay (if it exists) isn't up to par
Blah blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah

Add in a bunch of "I WAREZD it and it sux0rs" and "I can't believe I wasted my $xx on this" and yada yada yada. I think even the gamers are tired of the gamers now.

The Jedi Master

20. Re: ... Mar 26, 2003, 15:08 nin

A year ago, for example, news was updated every couple of hours on Blue's, now I'm waitin a day before something new shows up. What's up with that?

Well, he does one major update in the morning, and then incremental updates throughout the day. But Blue doesn't have Loony and Frans to do updates, if that's what you mean.

It's not like we expect Blue to sit in front of the computer 8-12 hours a day, clicking the send/receive button on email every 5 seconds, waiting for the latest news. The guy has a life outside the website...

If the guy had 5 people on staff, then maybe I could see your point. But I can only think of once or twice in the last few years (I came here sometime before Q2 test) that news wasn't up fairy quickly.

Less news posters? That's a Blue question, but anything I've ever submitted usually gets posted (unless someone else beats me to the punch - dammit!).

edit: gimme an e!
This comment was edited on Mar 26, 15:08.

19. Re: ... Mar 26, 2003, 14:54 aguita

I wouldn't worry about it Blue, you do a great job in updating the site. I don't visit anything else since you have all the news, and 99% of the time, have the news first.

18. Re: ... Mar 26, 2003, 14:48  Blue 

A year ago, for example, news was updated every couple of hours on Blue's, now I'm waitin a day before something new shows up. What's up with that?

I can't explain this, since I can't agree with the premise. Things were slow here a while ago, but it's been hopping pretty steadily lately... there were 29 stories posted at 13 different times here yesterday (when you made this comment). Of course, weekends are slow, but they were slow last year, and the year before that, and the year before that too...

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life
Edit: added the point about the weekends
This comment was edited on Mar 26, 14:49.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

17. Re: ... Mar 26, 2003, 14:42 World war 3

Huh?
I mean, is it that there are less news posters, or is there just less interesting news?

*edit* HAHAHAHAHAHA!! Please ignore my sig for the sake of argument.

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 14:45.

16. Re: sure Mar 26, 2003, 13:45 Dignan

i think Larc hit the nail on the head.

MS has everything to gain from win2k being unsecure.... i wonder how many other 'stories' we'll see about 2k's security over the next 6 months.

15. Re: sure Mar 26, 2003, 10:37 LArac

Well I do have to wonder if this "NEW Find" is not really a planned feature to push more folks to buy XP.
A lot of the offices have kept NT and Win2K instead of upgrading.

Just thoughts to ponder

If Bush gets mad at Microsoft, Think we will invade?

14. Re: Anti-news Mar 26, 2003, 09:18 nin

is there ever going to be a time when bashing microsoft is considered passe?

or at the very least unoriginal and boring.

Not as long as they continue to charge an arm and a leg...and then proceed to shake down schools and businesses for more money with the threats of BSA audits.

13. Re: No subject Mar 26, 2003, 07:54 Bronco

Well don't you sound like a couple of Graduates arguing over your lates...

That was a good one

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org
How many toes does a fish have?
How many wings on a cow? I wonder, yep. I wonder!

-TPFKAS2S

12. Re: ... Mar 26, 2003, 07:45  Blue 

Why did Blue's become so slow?

Huh?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

11. Re: ... Mar 26, 2003, 05:27 World war 3

Dignan, I have the same problem. Shacknews and VE aren't any better. I don't really know any good, more-often-updated-than-once-a-day, newssites about action gaming.

Why did Blue's become so slow?

10. Re: Anti-news Mar 26, 2003, 05:15 fredrickson

should i go to sleep before class or just stay awake until class is done

9. Re: Anti-news Mar 26, 2003, 04:46 hebrew_national

is there ever going to be a time when bashing microsoft is considered passe?

or at the very least unoriginal and boring.

8. Re: Anti-news Mar 26, 2003, 04:13 anon@24.76

Why does any one have to bash micrsoft? they do a good enough job discrediting themselves.

7. Anti-news Mar 26, 2003, 02:33 Cicatrix

Isn't reporting this week's huge Windows security hole a lot like reporting that the Whales **AREN'T** taking over the world?

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo