Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BG Dark Alliance II Announced

It's nothing but consolation for PC Baldur's Gate fans, as Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance II Announced is the press release with news that the next installment in Black Isle Studios' D&D RPG series, like the first Dark Alliance, will be for consoles only, as it's scheduled for release this holiday season for the Xbox and the PS2. Word is the game "will feature more monsters, graphically stunning environments and five new and unique customizable player characters to choose from, hidden areas to explore, as well as a new item creation system that will allow players to create their own ultimate magical artifacts." The announcement quotes Black Isle president Feargus Urquhart sounding satisfied with this direction the franchise has taken after kicking off for the PC: "The move to develop for the console systems with Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance allowed the team to bring new adventure and life into the series and enhance the franchise."

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Translations Mar 24, 2003, 19:58 Tanto Edge

This is torture.

"Will feature more monsters"
larger color palette
"Graphically stunning environments"
larger color palette, and water effects
"Five new and unique customizable player characters"
can't name them, but you can upgrade skills... no you can't select skills
"Hidden areas to explore"
that have no story substance, and no feasible sense of accomplishment
"A new item creation system that will allow players to create their own ultimate magical artifacts."
this is the only thing we're spending any time developing and it will suck hard as a Hoover

I'm personally hoping that halfway through shipping, the dev team commits mass suicide.
Yes, I'm an asshole, but I didn't like any of the Diablos, and I certainly do not think that this garners any qualitative gameplay. Mindless button pounding! Gratuitous and overblown Whack-A-Mole game! That's all it is!

...good lord my skin is turning green...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: I just had a thought... Mar 24, 2003, 17:51 Creston

Sigh, I so wish Bioware would continue to create great RPGs for the PC, but unfortunately it seems that console hack 'n slash crap and expansion packs for the SUBLIMELY SAD solo player NWN is all we have to look forward to.

Oh, and ofcourse I forgot KoTOR which is going to a BillBox Xclusive for 6 months. My mind weeps with sadness.

Creston

13. Re: I just had a thought... Mar 24, 2003, 17:18 nin

Celda? did u mean Zelda?

Yep. Cell Shaded Zelda = Celda

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

12. Re: I just had a thought... Mar 24, 2003, 16:53 DrEvil

Celda? did u mean Zelda?

11. Re: I just had a thought... Mar 24, 2003, 16:17 nin

I would bitch that it's not coming out on gamecube, but seeing as how BG: DA on the cube was nothing but a PS2 port with a horriable framerate, maybe this is a blessing in disguise.

Oh wait, we'll have Celda by Wednesday!

edit: damn emoticons...
This comment was edited on Mar 24, 16:19.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

10. Re: I just had a thought... Mar 24, 2003, 16:11 Lactose The Intolerant

Eh, the PC has enough Diablo gameplay as is. I won't miss this title.

9. Re: I just had a thought... Mar 24, 2003, 15:41 Sion441

Looked better than DS and NWN? I don't think so..

8. No subject Mar 24, 2003, 15:12 Orosian

an rpg without "the" or "of" in the title? no wonder it's console only

7. Re: I just had a thought... Mar 24, 2003, 14:59 Pellet Puppy

Well those screenshots are crapy
I thought the game looked better than Dungeon Siege and NWN. It had some really nice indoor areas, like the mines, and tower. You could even play as Drizzt Do'Urden!
The game was a little bit short. Hopefully they make it longer I love Diablo 2 and I was VERY happy when they released a fast paced BG.

This comment was edited on Mar 24, 15:01.

6. No subject Mar 24, 2003, 14:56 Pete

it was the best smiting game on a console, better than gauntlets

Doin' it Big

5. Re: I just had a thought... Mar 24, 2003, 14:54 DrEvil

as #2 said BG:DA isnt worthy of the BG title, as it is closer related to diablo. wife and I rented it and beat it coop over the course of a weekend. it was pretty fun, but was nothing like the BG PC games.

4. Re: I just had a thought... Mar 24, 2003, 14:32 the_culture

Though you're wrong about there being no screenshots, you are right about their quality:

PS2 version: http://www.interplay.com/games/screenshots.asp?gameid=530

Xbox version: http://www.interplay.com/games/screenshots.asp?gameid=531

Alex
-----------
Spatial Fear
Director/Creative Designer
http://www.planetunreal.com/le/sf/

3. Re: I just had a thought... Mar 24, 2003, 14:00 SacredGinmill

"graphically stunning environments"

Hmm if they release it at the end of the year, and even though I have seen not a single screen shot, I think the game looks dated, about 2 years to be exact.

2. Re: I just had a thought... Mar 24, 2003, 13:34 Wowbagger_TIP

BG, an RPG, wasn't even feasible on the console. They turned it into Diablo, and it didn't even manage to be as good as Diablo was.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

1. I just had a thought... Mar 24, 2003, 13:25 MacD

People have been saying, ever since the xbox was prepped for launch, that pc gaming would die. Looking at all the console exclusive titles, HALO, and now this, it does seem that pc gaming is at the least having a shift towards FPS/RTS/MMORPG gaming, as these just aren't as feasable on the console.

But an unbderlying reason for this seems to me to be the fault of...companies like nvidia, ati, intel and amd! They have insane dev-cycles, releasing new hardware every six months, if not sooner. That's what causes mayor headaches for dev's, making it plain easier to go console on our asses. To me, it looks like the very companies who make it possible to play games on pc's are also to blame for the fact that we're getting less games! I'd say that if aforementioned companies would just easy up on releasing new hardware, the dev's would have an easier time in QA, and would be less tempted by the non-changing hardware of consoles. Now if only MS, Nintendo and Sony would allow for non-exclusive title contracts

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo