Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Windows Security Flaw

Windows flaw opens PCs to attack (thanks Mike Martinez) has the warning that: "A vulnerability in all versions of Windows could allow attackers to use a malicious Web site or HTML e-mail message to trap victims and take control of their PCs, warned Microsoft." Fixes are already available through the Microsoft Web site or via the Windows Update function.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Agreed Mar 20, 2003, 15:05 Ratty

The big difference is that other companies make solid, robust operating systems. Microsoft makes a weapon. Windows is not an OS. It is a weapon. MS loads it with so many features and crap that have no business being in an OS solely to dominate other markets. They made MSIE and Outlook so that it could do EVERYTHING. Including fuck up your system.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Agreed Mar 20, 2003, 13:50 anon@24.76

Except I think the big difference between windows and other OS's is that with OTHER OSs, just going to a WWW site or Opening an email will not completly screw your computer over...

17. Agreed Mar 19, 2003, 21:07 MajorGeeks

Yes, it will always happen, people look for holes and we get fixes. You'll find that Linux is the same way. I get a couple emails a week, on average, for RedHat updates. Its the same with many other non Windows software thats job is to connect to the internet. Anytime you want to send an receive data from your machine, or have some sort of interactivity, there will be exploits. The only option is to not go on the internet and go outside, but you'll probably just get run over by a car, patch up and stay inside

This comment was edited on Mar 19, 21:08.

http://www.majorgeeks.com

16. Re: Is it just me, or does.... Mar 19, 2003, 20:43 ExcessDan

Is it really possible to build a great OS that is going to be totally 100% secure? (or I guess close to 100%?)

Dan
Intel 486SX, Trident video, 8MB RAM, 14" Generic Monitor, 100 MB HDD, Windows 3.11

ExcessDan

15. Third time lucky Mar 19, 2003, 20:34 Wogan

Nevermind, works now. Weird.

14. 404? Mar 19, 2003, 20:33 Wogan

That link is broken? I tried it twice with no luck...

13. Is it just me, or does.... Mar 19, 2003, 20:03 Master Toddy

Is it just me, or does Microsoft find a security flaw in Windows every week? I think just about every week, Windows Update is updated with some new fix for Windows, IE, or Outlook Express that fixes a security flaw.

12. Equal time... Mar 19, 2003, 19:49 Devster

http://news.com.com/2100-1016-993278.html?tag=cd_mh
"Security hole found in Linux"

Not the same scale of course, and if you have direct local access to a PC, you're pretty much in if you want anyways. Gven the state of gaming on other OSs, it wouldn't surprise me if most visits to this site were from Windows machines, thus the Windows news prominence. <shrug>

phuck write of ewe type-o crytics

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

11. Re: pft ... Mar 19, 2003, 19:44 Cicatrix

I use outlook express because it comes with IE and because I don't need a big bulky slow email program.]/q

Uh.. That's quite paradoxical, but you forgot buggy and insecure.

10. Re: pft ... Mar 19, 2003, 19:16 fredrickson

blue is a racist son of a bitch watch him remove my message for fear of revolt

9. Re: pft ... Mar 19, 2003, 19:03 ExcessDan

I use outlook express because it comes with IE and because I don't need a big bulky slow email program. Also it can handle my POP3 account and also my hotmail account that I use for questionable sites that may send me endless spam. I have it not downloading file attachments by default and have never had a security problem. I got one virus sent to me through email in my entire life and my NAV caught it as soon as outlook express had finished checking the mail servers.

Dan
Intel 486SX, Trident video, 8MB RAM, 14" Generic Monitor, 100 MB HDD, Windows 3.11

ExcessDan

8. no way! Mar 19, 2003, 18:50 space captain

Windows? ... Vulnerable? ... nahhhhhh!!

Give me a fuckin break, Bill. I bet Longhorn will be even worse. Thats ok, though. Pretty soon we will all be jacked into the matrix and we wont have a chance to care about it.

Mark my paranoid non-christian words: Neural interface technology signals the apocalypse!!!!!

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

7. Re: pft ... Mar 19, 2003, 18:42 Ratty

"the flaw is actually turning the damn Window's machine on!"

As usual this is an Internet Explorer/Outlook Express security flaw, not a Windows flaw. I don't use either so these security alerts never apply to me. Why ANYBODY would use them to read mail is beyond me.
This comment was edited on Mar 19, 18:43.

6. Re: pfft... Mar 19, 2003, 18:37 SCSI-Terminator

I'm not trying to troll but I don't think these flaws are newsworthy if they are already fixed before the news article comes out. Anyone agree with me?

It is a standard practice by most computer security experts (ie more than just the people at M$) to not publicly release information about a security flaw untill a fix is avalible. Hackers read news too, and if they know about the flaw before it can be fixed, you can bet they will exploit it.

This comment was edited on Mar 19, 18:37.

5. Re: pfft... Mar 19, 2003, 18:18 ExcessDan

Alright maybe I didn't think that totally through but I guess not everyone checks for updates weekly like I do.

P.S. Blue, will you be my mentor?

Dan

ExcessDan

4. Re: pfft... Mar 19, 2003, 18:16  Blue 

I'm not trying to troll but I don't think these flaws are newsworthy if they are already fixed before the news article comes out. Anyone agree with me?

I don't agree -- I think people would be interested in actually applying the fixes, since they don't really help you up until then, you know?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

3. Re: pfft... Mar 19, 2003, 18:12 ExcessDan

Dan

ExcessDan

2. Re: pfft... Mar 19, 2003, 17:57 natx

bad week for microsoft

1. pfft... Mar 19, 2003, 17:47 XEON

the flaw is actually turning the damn Window's machine on!

"Despite constant warnings you have never met anyone who's had their arm broken by a swan"

===
B: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

P: I think so, Brain, but where are we going to find a duck and a hose at this hour?

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo