Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars Galaxies Delayed

There's news in the Star Wars Galaxies Forums (thanks Jody and Star Wars Galaxies) from LucasArts producer Haden Blackman that beta three of the upcoming Star Wars MMORPG has been pushed back, and that the release of the game will no longer be on April 15. Here's the portion of the update described as the "'official' message:"

"Star Wars Galaxies is now entering the final phase of development, and everyone at LucasArts and Sony Online Entertainment is pleased with the game's progress since the beta test program was initiated. We've received a good deal of constructive feedback and many positive suggestions that, if executed, will genuinely enhance gameplay for the hundreds of thousands of players who comprise the community.
To deliver the best possible massively multiplayer experience and ensure stability and breadth of content, LucasArts and Sony Online Entertainment will delay the game's April 15 launch. This will enable us to invest more time into the beta program, and to solicit additional feedback from the tremendous fan base Star Wars Galaxies has already developed.

"In addition, we will not open phase three of the beta program until we feel the game is ready for a wider audience, which we anticipate will be within the next few weeks. A new release date for Star Wars Galaxies will be announced shortly after the beginning of beta three.

"We are sincerely grateful to the Star Wars Galaxies community for their tremendous support. We respectfully ask for their continued understanding and patience during these final few months leading up to the launch of what we believe will be one of the best MMOs to date."

View
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

57. Re: forget SWG Mar 21, 2003, 17:26 hebrew_national

Anyone who likes Star wars is a nerd.

You are all nerds.

If I become the emperor of america [like george bush] i am going to have the nerds hunted down and baked in ovens!!!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

56. Re: forget SWG Mar 21, 2003, 09:58 Macros746

You know it really isn't about the money. If I paid a one time fee and then paid monthly that would be fine. It's the whole coming up with an 'expansion' pack after 6 months giving functionality in the first place....so by the end of the f*(&*(ing year you've spend $200 on one freaking game. THAT is ridiculous. If the subscription fee included updates to gameplay now THAT would be reasonable.

Macros

54. Re: forget SWG Mar 18, 2003, 12:12 MindTrigger

Sony knows most people cannot spend as much time in SWG as lifeless dorks do, so they are taking steps to make this game useable for casual players too. They are doing the same with PlanetSide. Developing your character in both games is not a matter of how many hours you spend in the game. It's how you use the hours you do spend.

One example, taken from the FAQ:

1.05 What if I don't have a lot of time to play this game? Will I still be able to play with my friends who do?

We wanted to avoid power differentials that prevent hard-core gamers and the more casual gamers from playing together, so the two will be able to play together fruitfully. The game isn't level-based, so "high-level" characters don't have many times the "hit points" than lower level characters. This means that you can still be part of a viable group with your friends, even if they've been playing the game for many more hours.

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 12:17.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

53. Re: forget SWG Mar 18, 2003, 12:04 DrEvil

The only thing fun about mmorpg is the huge amount of content, but to see most of it you practically have to live on the game trying to advance to a point you can handle exploring further. There hasn't been a mmorpg yet that has catered to people that just want to jump on for small blocks of time and actually have fun. The losers that want to spend 8-14 hours a day on a mmorpg are getting their moneys worth sure, but I've got better things to do. For me gaming is a hobby, not something that I want to spend that amount of time doing. I doubt SWG will be any different in that aspect. From what I've read of planetside, It sounds as though it could cater better to people that dont spend massive amounts of time in a session. To each his own.

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 12:05.

52. Re: forget SWG Mar 18, 2003, 11:51 MindTrigger

Get a freaking job and maybe you can pay the pathetic monthly charge. I piss $10 - $15 away in a day without thought. Tired of hearing you whiners complain about subscription games.

- God... I need my morning cup of coffee. Forgive my attitude problem.

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 12:04.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

51. No subject Mar 16, 2003, 21:09 teh mane mahn

"Good things come to those who wait."

Yeah, I know. Especially with games like Daikatana.

_____

The possible pain, suffering and sacrifice of discovery are by no means an excuse to remain ignorant.

The bartering of things sought earned are by a means which only little men can abide by and hope to achieve.

50. No subject Mar 16, 2003, 19:35 Alak

For every Day the Game is delayed, It gets a little better. Good things come to those who wait. I knew In feburary that they wouldn't make april because they were just starting BETA. Same with planetside. But wait a little and we will be rewarded.

49. No subject Mar 15, 2003, 23:54 teh mane mahn

"i hate you with every cubic millimetre of my body"

That line is the bestesest for the feelgood sensation of the year!

_____

The possible pain, suffering and sacrifice of discovery are by no means an excuse to remain ignorant.

The bartering of things sought earned are by a means which only little men can abide by and hope to achieve.

48. Re: Meet thine demands Mar 15, 2003, 23:44 GandalfTheWhite

well said Fredrickson er.. fred.
Until they release a good gameplay video im crossing me fingers

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
-Albert Einstein

47. Re: Meet thine demands Mar 15, 2003, 17:28 fredrickson

creston you are A PIECE OF CRAP

46. Re: Meet thine demands Mar 15, 2003, 16:59 ExcessDan

i want to schedule you for right now creston, i hate you with every cubic millimetre of my body

Dan
Intel 486SX, Trident video, 8MB RAM, 14" Generic Monitor, 100 MB HDD, Windows 3.11
This comment was edited on Mar 15, 17:01.

ExcessDan

45. Re: Meet thine demands Mar 15, 2003, 16:47 Creston

"I think for every day its not released after april 15th a star wars fan should kill himself on george lucas' lawn.. thatd be an awesome protest"

Sounds like a great idea to me! You're scheduled for the 16th, Dan. The rest of the schedule is still a bit murky.

Creston

44. Re: forget SWG Mar 15, 2003, 15:10 ExcessDan

Will a monthly fee be required to play?
Yes. Price still to be determined. This fee will go toward the cost of bandwidth, server maintenance, continuous feature improvements and content updates, as well as customer support.

Well, no planetside for me!

Dan
Intel 486SX, Trident video, 8MB RAM, 14" Generic Monitor, 100 MB HDD, Windows 3.11

ExcessDan

43. forget SWG Mar 15, 2003, 15:06 2coasts

Forget SWG, get ready for Planetside!!!!

http://planetside.station.sony.com/

42. Re: It's OK... Mar 15, 2003, 14:59 ExcessDan

that's because it's meant to be!

alright where should we meet? do you have a location and address?

Dan

ExcessDan

41. Re: It's OK... Mar 15, 2003, 14:42 fredrickson

i was just listening to 'never gonna give you up' 30 seconds ago LOfukinL

40. Re: It's OK... Mar 15, 2003, 14:32 ExcessDan

Oh I'm in!!!

Dan

ExcessDan

39. Re: It's OK... Mar 15, 2003, 13:43 nin

Yo dantastic! If you need to borrow a Barry White album, let me know. I'm thinking "Love is in the Air"...

Sorry man, couldn't resist...I'm only teasing. And hey, if you choose NOT to run off with fredster, everyone here will understand.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

38. Re: It's OK... Mar 15, 2003, 12:12 BlueF

Good for them. I'm all for dev's taking their time and polishing their games as much as possible. Of course, DNF not withstanding.

I do understand how folks can get their hopes up and look forward to playing a game at a certain release date. But, to get upset because a game is delayed, hopefully to make it better, I don't understand this.

57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo