Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New ATI Catalyst Drivers

As noted in this announcement, the ATI Technologies Website (thanks Chase) now offers a new version 3.2 of the Catalyst reference drivers for their RADEON family of video cards. The latest release also incorporates version 8.1 of their Multimedia Center software suite.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: HardOCP sets us straight Mar 14, 2003, 12:10 Ryan

Cool. Never mind then.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: HardOCP sets us straight Mar 14, 2003, 11:40 nimski

Old News Ryan. That HardOCP story is a Wednesday story. The 3.2 drivers were release Thursday afternoon.

Extra soup for me!

23. HardOCP sets us straight Mar 14, 2003, 10:46 Ryan

Guys,

These new drivers only update Multimedia Center to 8.1, the actual display drivers did NOT change.

http://www.hardocp.com/#6748-1

No soup for you! Straight from ATi:

CATALYST is ATI's software suite which is composed of drivers, multimedia center, hydravision, and remote wonder software. Today's press release is announcing availability of a new version of multimedia center (8.1). It is not referring to driver updates. Sorry if the wording in the release was confusing. We will try to clarify this. We will have a new display driver shortly but is not available for download at the current time.

22. Re: Still can't play Freelancer... Mar 14, 2003, 10:05 Quboid

AF is Anisotropic Filtering. It's a system to sharpen textures. Best result is when you view a texure on a surface from a very low angle, ie as if you are very near it looking along the polygon. This means the texture will appear very differently from how it was drawn by the artist so chances are it will loss detail and look fuzzy. AF is a system to counter this. There are various different settings like with AA, with each higher setting looking better but running slower. I think it's powers of 2, so you'll have 2xAF, 4xAF, 8xAF and 16xFA.

With a Radeon it's enabled under the Direct3D and OpenGL tabs of the advanced display control panel. Don't know how to enable with an nVidia card, sorry.

Cheers,
Quboid

War isn't about who's right, its about who's left.

- Quboid

21. Re: Dignan Mar 14, 2003, 10:00 sc4r4b

AF is "Anisotropic Filtering." You enable most graphic options under your "Display Properties."

Here is a decent article on AF--
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,548248,00.asp

20. Re: Nooooo Mar 14, 2003, 09:49 Dignan

what is AF? and how do you enable all these graphic options?

i have a gf4:mx420 but will be getting a 9500 soon.

19. Re: Still can't play Freelancer... Mar 14, 2003, 08:51 nin

Oh yeah, and during Freelancer setup this dcsetup.exe file tries to access the internet, and installs DRM files for MS. Search for drmclien.

I haven't seen this at all, and Norton Firewall notifies me when a new program tries to access the internet.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

18. Re: Still can't play Freelancer... Mar 14, 2003, 07:10 Quboid

Even with this, I have that audio problem.

Yeah, it sucks when video card drivers can't even fix a simple audio problem... Sorry if I'm missing the point, but isn't it utterly obivous that the video card drivers have nothing at all to do with the audio?

Again, sorry if I'm missing the point, but sheesh, no wonder ATi have a (IMHO totally undeserved) reputation for bad drivers.

Cheers,
Quboid

War isn't about who's right, its about who's left.
This comment was edited on Mar 14, 07:10.

- Quboid

17. Still can't play Freelancer... Mar 14, 2003, 04:46 Sarcasmo

Even with this, I have that audio problem. And the overly complicated readme fix doesn't work for me. I have vaguely similar lines in my system.ini file, but none that match what it says to remove. I guess I could remove the vaguely similar ones. Unless someone has a better suggestion.

Oh yeah, and during Freelancer setup this dcsetup.exe file tries to access the internet, and installs DRM files for MS. Search for drmclien.

16. Re: Nooooo Mar 14, 2003, 02:05 John

Yeah, that's how I like it.. the simple life.

This space is available for rent

15. Re: Nooooo Mar 14, 2003, 00:12 Ray Marden

Heh.

They are all simple things; why do people get bogged down in all the...crap?

Curious,
Ray

---------------------------------------
Don't eat the Menchi!11111
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
In life, I want my mother to be well, to be with the woman I love, and to have fun with friends.
I am sorry, but at what point do the hating and murdering come into play???

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

14. Re: Nooooo Mar 14, 2003, 00:06 John

What pop-ups?

In life, I want my mother to be well, to be with the woman I love, and to have fun with friends.

-not my sig-

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 00:07.

This space is available for rent

13. Re: I want my ATI! Mar 13, 2003, 23:41 Ray Marden

Heh; I was just trying to pimp the 9700/9800.

The fast framerates are nice and the newer features can be neato-freato, but it is the visual quality - slightly from ATI and more from the AA (and AF to a much lesser extent) - that make this current generation of cards so great. Even with a lower-end processor, you can pretty much play all games with some form of AA and it really does make a significant visual difference, much more than any (current) bump mapping/pixel shader/truform/what have you.

For those with a limited budget (or those other people - the "sane" people :o), you won't suddenly drop dead from a heart attack if you don't have one of the newer cards. However, I do think that AA/AF are really viable options now, not to mention future generations.

Lastly, this is not an ATI-specific thing, but I focus on ATI as I both have the card and view ATI as the price (9700) and performance (9800) leader, at least against the FX and with a nod towards high-end gaming.

Having said all of this, Doom 3 make my card its b...uhh...bare minimum. I do not think that there is anybody that will not have to upgrade for Doom 3 or similar games.

Thinking that I would take Thief III over Doom 3, though :D,
Ray

Edit: The typos that are my life.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 23:44.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

12. Nooooo Mar 13, 2003, 23:33 nUttsAck

The pop-ups are baaaaaack!!!

11. Re: I want my ATI! Mar 13, 2003, 23:12 TimothyB

I was getting along fine with my Geforce 3 when the 9700pro came out. I enjoyed BF1942 maxed out at 1152*768.

The reason I went for the 9700pro was because I wanted AA and AF. Now I run it 1280*960 with 2x AA and 16x AF. I can run it at 4x AA, but since I only have a XP 1800, I don't.

Now I can't live without AA and especially AF. Sometimes I start up a game like BF1942 with out it and it looks like crap. I'm so happy with my purchase and really happy I went ahead and bought it right away instead of waiting for the FX to come out and decide.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 23:12.

10. Re: I want my ATI! Mar 13, 2003, 23:08 sc4r4b

Like I said I understand the need to upgrade. It really must be nice to able to upgrade your GPU frequently...

9. Re: I want my ATI! Mar 13, 2003, 22:56 Ray Marden

As ever, it depends on personal preference and overall performance. My 9700 Pro puts my 4600 to shame; it has more features, has better image quality, and is significantly faster! Relative to my 4600, I get "free" AA and AF. If a game runs "slow" on my system, I may settle for something like 4x AA and lowered (or no) AF, but most games play great with 6xAA and 16xAF.

Not only do my games run fast, but they look amazing.

Wishing my CPU wasn't so held back by my 9700 Pro :D,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

8. Re: I want my ATI! Mar 13, 2003, 22:48 sc4r4b

TangledThorns--Do you really think that the performance increase from 4400 to a 9700pro would be worth the cash? Sure it is faster...but it just doesn't seem worth it to me. I have a 4400 and all the games I play run really well. Although, I can relate the "need" to upgrade. I am currently trying to hold out until DOOMIII is released.

7. I want my ATI! Mar 13, 2003, 22:20 TangledThorns

Ugh, I wish I stayed with ATI. Nvidia's drivers have been sucking big time lately. I think it becuz they are putting too much into their failed Geforce FX. Oh well, I cant wait to get an excuse to ditch my 4400 for a 9700 pro. WTG ATI!
This comment was edited on Mar 13, 22:22.

6. Re: about time Mar 13, 2003, 21:47 TimothyB

Check out Rage3D.com tey have info from ATI saying that Cat 3.3, which will be out soon (one week to six weeks quoted by an ATI employee on Rage3D forums) will have some pretty decent performance improvements, but they mention the 3.2 are more for stability and fixes.

Here's a pull out from the site:
------------------------------------------
People are wondering about RADEON9800 performance paths and when the RADEON9700 users will get them.

Answer: Seems like lately on the forums a developer has spoiled my upcoming surprise about the CATALYST drivers for RADEON. We found some pretty decent performance boosts while we were developing the 9800 drivers. They were scheduled for release with the first set of 9800 drivers (CATALYST 3.2) and we were planning on letting them out for the 9700 cards once we'd tested them thoroughly. Which in this case is CATALYST 3.3
----------------------------------------

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo