Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Unofficial GTA III MP Patch

Gta3mta.tk (thanks Computer Games Online) is offering an unofficial patch for Grand Theft Auto III that hacks some preliminary multiplayer support into the PC version of the life of crime action game. A complete rewrite is planned for the follow-up release to resolve some problems with this first version of the patch, which obviously is used at your own risk.

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. No subject Feb 22, 2003, 11:58 Joker

It's funny when I see a troll rile up a bunch of peeps. heh.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Hey Fredrickson... Feb 20, 2003, 10:01 Mad Max RW

fredrickson is just goofing on you guys. I can't believe you're unable to see that.

42. Re: Hey Fredrickson... Feb 20, 2003, 09:30 Trashcanman

Yo Fredrickson
This "unofficial patch" isn't really a patch it doesn't change any code. If you tried it you will know it a seperate program that runs in the background that allows another player to take control of a car that you prevously driven.

It's actually more of a multiplayer work-around than anything

This comment was edited on Feb 20, 09:33.

41. Re: Hey Fredrickson... Feb 19, 2003, 18:48 fredrickson

tell it to the judge

40. Re: Hey Fredrickson... Feb 19, 2003, 15:55 anon@24.76

On another forum some lawyers wayed in on the actually power of EULAs. The general idea is that they not very powerfull. The EULA apparently have even less power if you just quickly click agree/ok without looking at it at all.

Other laws could get them[modders] in trouble, like if some of their source code they distribute is just copied from the orginal, or stuff like that.

Companies just like to use the EULAs as threats with no follow through, if the EULA did have power, then they would have to have the whole agreement on the outside of the box, or be forced to give out full cash refunds to people who dont want to agreee to it.

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 15:56.

39. Re: Hey Fredrickson... Feb 19, 2003, 14:29 Mad Max RW

If Rockstar or Sony comes in and puts an end to the multiplayer mod it would probably mean they have an official GTA MP game in the works. Although, I still don't see the point in playing anything other than the original game.

38. Re: Hey Fredrickson... Feb 19, 2003, 12:52 anon@216.23

Shhh! Don't remind them of the whole "we'll get rid of trolls by getting rid of anon accounts". It's a touchy subject. :\

37. Re: Hey Fredrickson... Feb 19, 2003, 12:30 ExcessDan

fredrickson's posts are the only thing good in my life. please don't take that away from me

Dan
Intel 486SX, Trident video, 8MB RAM, 14" Generic Monitor, 100 MB HDD, Windows 3.11

ExcessDan

36. ?? Feb 19, 2003, 10:47  mwad 

Fredrickson, are you old enough to drive a car? If so are you trying to tell us all that you never, ever, ever go even 1 mph over the speed limit? Oh wait what is it you said "YOU ARE BREAKING THE LAW" God man shut up with your self-righteous dumb a$$ self.

24. Re: No subject Feb 18, 23:48 fredrickson

from the UULE:

"user shall not reverse engineer and modify code"

YOU ARE BREAKING THE LAW

35. No subject Feb 19, 2003, 09:37 AgentZero

yep personally I consider GTA3 the most overrated game of all time ever in history of games, but still multiplayer could be a riot.

34. No subject Feb 19, 2003, 07:41 Omroth

I don't know why everyone is getting so worked up. There is no effective way for Rockstar to do anything about this now: if they shut these people down (which is really really unlikely) they can just post the source code, get an open-source development page on sourceforge, and have a load of talented programmer-gamers to improve it.

However, I don't have a huge amount of respect for Rockstar. They would only give PCGamer UK a review copy if it was the cover game, PCG refused and had to wait until it came out in the shops (that's true by the way, not a rumour). And they did similar things for the PS2 version, forcing magazines to give it 90%+. So I think they have dodgy operating procedures.

33. Re: Hey Fredrickson... Feb 19, 2003, 04:30 changingman

Wasn't the purpose of stopping the anon posts to rid us of the fredrickson's that infest the internet?

No doubt by the time this gets anywhere it will have been usurped by Rockstar's next release. No harm in trying, though.

32. Re: Hey Fredrickson... Feb 19, 2003, 01:39 joeslim

So what about the people who warezed it....come on, I know some of you did.

31. Hey The Half Elf's dad... Feb 19, 2003, 01:38 fredrickson

4 words for ya,

Shoulda
Used
A
Condom.

Nuff Said

30. Hey Fredrickson... Feb 19, 2003, 01:22 The Half Elf

3 words for ya,

Hooked
On
Phonics.

Nuff Said

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

29. Re: ?! Feb 19, 2003, 01:07 fredrickson

when you get served with the subpoena and get sentanced jailtime in juvi, dont come back crying to me

28. ?! Feb 19, 2003, 00:53 Alak

I cant possibly see how someone could complain about GTA3, let alone a MOD to add GTA3 Multiplayer. Its like a horny teenager complaining about his Ferrari attracting too many chicks that want a little R&R with him. I bet the people bitching about it are using it right now. I've used it and I love it so far and can't wait to see what happens next.

27. Re: No subject Feb 19, 2003, 00:49 Yakuza

Dammit, I always seem to forget about fucking Trolls. Yes, you're correct. good idea. Don't feed the bears.

26. So.... Feb 19, 2003, 00:19 Thermopyle

When IS vice city to be released on pc ? nm ...

& why are there trolls ?

WHY WHY WHY ???

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 00:22.

25. No subject Feb 19, 2003, 00:15 ReverendTed

Now, I agree that it's probably a violation of the actual wording of the EULA, but I don't think it qualifies as "illegally warez multiplayer".
People who are running this have purchased their licenses to play the game.
I just read through the "Restrictions" section on the License Agreement, and its wording regarding things of this nature is somewhat vague. It seems to be prohibing things like copying the software, selling unauthorized add-on packs, and modifications in the vein of "cracks"...things of that nature.
I wouldn't be entirely sure if this qualified.

At any rate...
I have yet to get the multiplayer aspect to work, but I haven't really tried that much.
The utility itself, however, is pretty slick, and offers a number of useful functions for customizing your gameplay experience.

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo