Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy President's Day, for all of you presidents out there. We're enjoying the "White President's Day" made legendary by the old Bing Crosby President's Day carol, and then some... the sound you hear of glasses clinking is giddy weathermen toasting their success in predicting what is a truly impressive blizzard in these parts. This is actually truly terrible timing for me, as I am fairly certain I have a failing hard drive here (they're not supposed to sound like dremel tools, right?), and I'd really love to run out and snap up a replacement. Trouble is, I can't imagine actually getting anywhere under these conditions, as tempting as it might be to have a story to someday torture offspring: 'Tell us more about the old days Grandpa!' ... 'Why back in my day I had to trudge through two-foot-deep snow in a blizzard to get a hard drive!'

Play Time: Flea Circus. Thanks Masterdog.
Link of the Day: Do The Jeff! Thanks jeremyD.
Story of the Day: Tiny Tumbleweed targeting eBay Inc. Thanks VonZipper.
Wild Science: Science Mags Edit for Biosecurity. Thanks Mike Martinez.
Image of the Day: Doctor Fun. Thanks Ant.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. yukon, ho! Feb 18, 2003, 08:30 quorn2002

I was working in schenectady 4 years ago (I'm from the uk) when the weather was really quite bad, at least in my experience.

As the storms were coming in I drove across town (read: to an out of town mega complex) to buy an N64 from one of those stores where you get discounts for being a member. I knew I was going to spend the weekend in-doors and Zelda had recently come out.

It was a pretty daft thing to do and I ended up crawling home at about 10 mph and getting in very late to a cold empty flat, thousands of miles from my friends who were all tucked up asleep in bed.

That was a pretty miserable period for me... but Zelda was great.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Snow? Feb 18, 2003, 08:30 Steelcamp

Yes Austin, TX. No snow, hardly ever any ice. BUT PEOPLE STILL DRIVE LIKE CRAP! "FM685 is not a race way idiots"
But at least it is not Kansas. Hotter than us in the summer and colder than us in the winter.

----
"Will we also be vaccinating against pipe bombs? We know the terrorists have those."

-------------------------------------------
3 billion+ men in the world and my sisters keep going back to the idiots...

23. HAHAHHAH!! Feb 18, 2003, 01:06 UttiniDaKilrJawa

I'm just glad the East Coast is getting pounded with Snow instead of the Midwest this year:) Ahhhh, 38 degree highs tomorrow..I can see the snow melting already hehehehehee

22. Re: snow? what's that? Feb 18, 2003, 00:02 LSD

What about us Austin no-snow snobs? Nice and sunny, and no smog out here, just clean warm fresh air.

21. Re: No subject Feb 17, 2003, 20:10 Bronco

The doors are snowed shut and I'm not clearing them out until the morning.

What do you do? Climb out a window?

One more like this and I'm buying a snow blower. I can't count on any help shoveling for at least 4 more years.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org
How many toes does a fish have?
How many wings on a cow? I wonder, yep. I wonder!

-TPFKAS2S

20. Re: snow? what's that? Feb 17, 2003, 20:08 Bronco

I live in the suburbs of good ol' Los Angeles.

Breathe in that smog!

I think it's 65 degrees or something. I didn't even wear a jacket to work today.

Well, I didn't have to go to work today and will get to go in late tomorrow. So there....

Only thing worse than Canadian snow snobs is LA no snow snobs...

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org
How many toes does a fish have?
How many wings on a cow? I wonder, yep. I wonder!

-TPFKAS2S

19. snow? what's that? Feb 17, 2003, 19:47 Magneato

I live in the suburbs of good ol' Los Angeles. I think it's 65 degrees or something. I didn't even wear a jacket to work today.

18. No subject Feb 17, 2003, 17:39 Hump

I'm watching pics on MSNBC of people skiing down the mounds left by the plows at Rockefeller center...lol.

Can't quite tell what we have here, the wind is gusting up to 50mph. The doors are snowed shut and I'm not clearing them out until the morning.

*pats coffee pot, Xbox and PC*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

17. Re: Snow snow snow Feb 17, 2003, 15:15 brother19

Enjoy a little winter down there for a change.
In the Albany NY area we had over 2 ft. on Christmas, over 2 ft. again the following weekend, with about 3 inches of ice in between. Of course it's been chilly. Our high yesterday was a blistering 4 degrees F.
I worked in Manhattan for 10 years, and it never once went below zero. And the best thing is they use umbrellas for snow. Ha. Try Saranac Lake where I grew up--now that's cold.

16. LEMMINGS??? Feb 17, 2003, 15:02 Von Helmet

OMFG DO YOU THINK IT IS???!!!

15. Re: Flea Circus Feb 17, 2003, 14:22 fredrickson

how do you get past the green spikes

14. Re: Flea Circus Feb 17, 2003, 14:21 Ravenrex

Best rip-off of another game ever. It's a blatant rip of Lemmings.

"Any sufficiently advanced
technology is indistinguishable
from magic."
--Clarke's Third Law

13. Re: snow snow snow Feb 17, 2003, 14:11 fredrickson

blue you are a coward i am faster and stronger than you

12. Re: snow snow snow Feb 17, 2003, 13:52 Devster

Yeah - unless you're from Toronto. They called in the army when they had a couple of feet of snow.

Wimps...
Seconded.

Colonel Klink, why have you foresaken me?

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

11. Flea Circus Feb 17, 2003, 13:49 rist3903

Best playtime ever.

rist3903

10. Re: Doctor Fun? Feb 17, 2003, 13:19 Moonbender

I have yet to see a User Friendly which is as dumb as that Doctor Fun comic thing. Penny Arcade is another matter, they kind of work on being beyond dumb. PA is like a Shakespearean play, it's got several layers, one for each audience. *cough*

9. Re: Blue, don't you mean.. Feb 17, 2003, 13:16 Rolphus

my tee time is still two hours away

Tee time as in golf, or a misspelt tea time, as in dinner or some sort of liquid refreshment break?

Also, very bored

Having driven never actually driven in what I'd call snow (slush, yes, but not snow), and driven on ice several times, I can certainly second the notion of being worried about people not knowing how to handle it. Ice was a hell of a shock the first time!

This comment was edited on Feb 17, 13:16.

8. Re: Blue, don't you mean.. Feb 17, 2003, 12:54 WarPig

There are always two variables on how an area copes with snow.

(1) How fast can the roads be cleared, if at all?
(2) Do the people there know how to drive when it's slick?

A town isn't going to spend it's tax dollars on snowplows and the people to drive them if it only snows once a year. And, as we all know, there are people who should always stay home when it's even a little slick out there. I'm not just talking about commuters either, I know I wouldn't want to send my kid on a school bus driven by someone who's only driven in snow a couple times.

I know this is all obvious as hell but my tee time is still two hours away and I'm bored.

-----------------------------------------
Of course I could be wrong... but really, what are the chances of that happening twice?

GO SEAHAWKS!

7. Re: Blue, don't you mean.. Feb 17, 2003, 12:04 Von Helmet

The entire south of England ground to a halt about a fortnight ago because of about 2 inches of snow. I kid ye not. I remember when I was a kid living in the south of England and it snowed about a foot and no one complained. And that was only about 12 years ago.

6. Blue, don't you mean.. Feb 17, 2003, 11:34 TK-421

"I had to walk 20 miles in the snow uphill both ways to get to school!"  
"TK-421, why aren't you at your post?"

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo