Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DX2: Invisible War Preview

The Deus Ex: Invisible War Preview on GameSpot (suspicions that the "official" DX2: Invisible War name has been changed increase with every article that avoids using it) is the latest look at ION Storm's upcoming FPS/RPG sequel. Based on getting to visit ION's Austin-based offices, the article describes the gameplay experience starting with the opening cinematic, how the story and protagonist are introduced, character progression, weapons (as well as the possibility that the game can be completed without using them), missions, story forks, locations, graphics, physics, and more. Included are some new screenshots.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Creston Feb 17, 2003, 12:16 Creston

That would be very plausible yes, but still, you'd expect SOMEONE to have seen him in 15 years time. It's not as if Morgan Everett was this mysterious recluse living in a mountain or something.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Creston Feb 17, 2003, 01:39 ThrillHo

I think I read in one of the multitude of DX2 articles to surface that one of the factions is lead by JC... so maybe he "replaced" Everett?

ThrillHo_
What did I expect from the man who brought civilization to a screeching halt?

24. Re: Creston Feb 17, 2003, 00:37 Creston

Yeah, I mean, the Illuminati ending makes the most sense, but it would be pretty cool if they actually went with the AI one, just to fool everyone

(Not to mention that it WOULD explain why nobody has seen JC around for the past 15 years. I mean, if he's an Illuminati, ok, he's running the Earth behind the scenes, but you'd expect some sightings of the guy here and there.)

Dammit, now I want to play it again. Time to fire up that 'ole Win98

Creston

23. Creston Feb 16, 2003, 19:24 Von Helmet

I'm fairly sure I remember reading that they were using the Illuminati ending, for the reasons you said - Tong's destroyed all the stuff you'd need in the game, and the AI one would take JC too far away from the real world if you get what I mean.

It'll probably be the Illuminati thing.

Though I always play Tong's one, because I like it

22. You fools Feb 16, 2003, 19:18 Von Helmet

You bitch about linear games, and now you bitch about this game having multiple game paths.

I love the idea of being able to see things different ways on different runs through the game.

21. Hmmm Feb 16, 2003, 17:20 Creston

Lots of valid comments here. Personally I prefer a LONG storyline to three short ones. Shogo : MAD (anybody remember that) was a very good example on how a multiple storyline can really fuck a game up.

I don't really think that there is that much of a multiple storyline in this game, more an alliance with factions that will eventually lead to the same ending anyways (note, that's just what I think, not what's set in stone or mentioned in an interview or anything).

The biggest reason why the game is shorter now, I THINK, is because of the increased level of simulation in it's levels. Some of the original Deus Ex levels were pretty bare, and were done pretty quickly. In contrast, the levels for the next game are supposed to be these insanely complex simulated environments (like that example they mentioned about having a scripted sequence where a guard comes flying through the window, versus how they are doing it, no scripting, and the guard will fly through the window if he hears you, but if you sneak past he won't even notice you), and I think that because of the level of complexity, they just had to keep the game shorter, otherwise it wouldn't come out until 2004 (which would REALLY make me sad).

In the end, it boils down to what you like. Do you like the rigid storytelling of say, a Final Fantasy, where every game you play is the same, or do you prefer more openendedness where you can choose your path through the game. You cannot really have both, since a game that's 30+ hours long with very complex simulated gameplay would take way too long to finish (and as a result would either cost 100 bucks, or bankrupt the company in question, which ofcourse leads to another thing. While Deus Ex got like 50 game of the year awards, it didn't sell all that great, which might make Eidos a bit hesitant on splurging out the big bucks for a genre breaking sequel?).

But, having said that, I think that with the four factions you can align yourself with, which will have some repercussions in gameplay, the fact there is a guy and a girl character (come on, we're ALL going to play it once as the guy and once as the girl :P), and there is a wide variety of options in the bio mods will make for a nice replayability factor. Just seeing all the possible outcomes of the Lebedev / Anna encounter in Deus Ex one took me six times of playing through

If you're not big on replaying a game, then I guess this 20 hours is very disappointing to you. To me, while I WISH it was longer, I think I'll still be satisfied with it. I took 31 hours on my first run through Deus Ex, and that was in GAME time, not real time. Real time it was probably closer to 40, since I reloaded a lot of sections just for the fun of replaying them.

Ahhhh Deus Ex.

Btw, any guesses on which faction JC is going to be? You see, the easy money is that Ion Storm is going to take the illuminati ending as "the one that happened", since it was the least invasive, it was also the longest of the three, and it would fit well with the idea of JC's faction.

However, I wouldn't put it past them to be sneaky, and actually use the JC / AI ending, since everybody expects the Illuminati ending.
(I doubt the Tracer Tong ending will be used, since if the Internet was really destroyed and all long range communications made impossible, it is highly unlikely that 15 years later everything will be rebuilt already.)

Any ideas on that?

Creston

20. Re: hoping.. Feb 16, 2003, 16:49 mag

I never said it had to be Unreal 2. But why can't it just be like the first Deus Ex?
Branching is fine and good, but not if they're doing it at the expense of the rest of the game.

This comment was edited on Feb 16, 16:53.

19. Re: hoping.. Feb 16, 2003, 16:32 anon@24.76

oh yah, they should screw the branching, i mean look at how good unreal 2 is, no branching at all there!

18. Re: hoping.. Feb 16, 2003, 14:16 mag

Screw the branches. Why do they make us play through the game over and over again to get our money's worth? Why can't they just give the damn game one _good_ _long_ plot instead of a billion mediocre ones?

17. Re: hoping.. Feb 16, 2003, 10:47 Squirmer

I think there'll be plenty to go back to in multiple run-throughs. There are several factions in the game that the player can align him/herself with, and that has big effects on what the player experiences in the game. For example, a major thing is that JC will be an ally or an enemy depending on your choices. If Ion Storm made a 30-40 hour game that included all these story branches, it would take them years.

16. Re: hoping.. Feb 16, 2003, 09:09 Belly Flop

Yeah, Im all for story, any1 here old enough to remember Star Control 2 and its epic story and sound track, star control 3 was sooo disappointing in comparison.

Here's hoping they can equal DX1 in this sequel...

15. Re: Length Feb 16, 2003, 08:27 Moonbender

Both Baldur's Gate games were pretty damn long, the first one especially. I must've played that for around 80 hours, at least. Standing on the bridge leading to Baldur's Gate for the first time. Man, those were the days.

Er, sorry, got a pit OT there. I think I'll go cower in the corner of my room and cry.

14. Re: Length Feb 16, 2003, 07:21 Eldaron Imotholin

Graphics is not the thing that makes me find a game great. And when they're making a game this short (believe me.. 20 hours will be around 10 hours MAX for most of us here) I just won't buy it legally. Simple as that.

The game I concider the longest ever is Summoner. I don't know IF it was such a long game.. but he did feel damn long to me! Another game that also had the right lenght was Vampire: The Masquerade. DAMN how I enjoyed that game! Still one of the best games ever, imo.

Now.. for the more new games -> Morrowind! That game is huge! The funny thing is.. if you really like the game you can keep playing it and stop whenever you want. because there's no "The End"! And then they also come with the Add-On "Tribunal"! Wich is also amazing! And now, wow, they announced "BloodMoon"! Wich would truly make you forget whole Tribunal, I presume.

Developers have to STOP paying so F*CKIN' much attention on the graphics. F*CK the graphics! We don't need THAT good graphics in 2003 ffs!! Believe me, I still have older games in my closet that'll still be loved by the eye.

PS: That last title is pretty cool "The Invisible War: A godless story", right?

This comment was edited on Feb 16, 07:22.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

13. Re: Length Feb 16, 2003, 06:13 Squirmer

It probably depends how you play. Deus Ex 1 took me about 35 hours on my first try, inspecting everything and going slowly, but I managed to finish it in 8 hours once.

12. Re: Length Feb 16, 2003, 04:46 Ray Marden

Well, it is hard to say. If you snuck around and went for every little thing, Deus Ex really was as long as they said it would be.

Back from watching Daredevil,
Ray

---------------------------------------
Don't eat the Menchi!11111
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
HELLO!?! The *fish* have wings and the *cows* have toes!

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

11. Re: Length Feb 16, 2003, 04:23 indiv

Yes, I was kinda disappointed to see that it was only going to be 20 hours, but still, that's more than most games give you these days,

Unfortunately, what game developers call "20 hours" is really 6-7 hours for most people who read Blue's News.

10. Re: Length Feb 16, 2003, 04:10 Glas

Grr..This is what pisses me off. I know they want to make it more accessible, but Jesus Christ, it's rare nowadays for a company to make any game that is good and is as long as the first Deus Ex. I loved it precisely for its length of play. I just really do not see why the would shorten it by as much as a third the original. Yes, people may have short attention spans, but the game didn't do too badly in sales, it wouldn't have warranted a sequel otherwise.

9. Re: Length Feb 16, 2003, 02:25 mag

They're making the game more "accessible." They're not dumbing it down, honest! They're just making it more accessible to the common person! So many people were confused by the strange keyboard-device required by the first, and the more-than-five-hours-of-gameplay was more than most audiences' attention spans, so they had to fix it.

8. Re: Length Feb 16, 2003, 02:19 Slava

I also played Deus Ex about 3 times and I am playing it again right now. However I am a abit worried about the 20 hour gameplay. I have found that longer games like GTA 3, Morrowind, and Deus Ex have inspired me to replay it more contrary to shorter games like Metal Gear Solid 2: Son's of Liberty. While I don't doubt it will be a good game I very much doubt it will be as good as the original.

7. Length Feb 16, 2003, 02:04 Creston

Yes, I was kinda disappointed to see that it was only going to be 20 hours, but still, that's more than most games give you these days, and if it's as good as the first game, that's 20 hours of pure sweet scrumptiouness.

Also, from the looks / sound of it, they are going for lots more and deeper simulation in the gaming areas, which means that nine times replaying it is definitely already scheduled for. That's 180 hours, not too shabby

(Yes, I did replay the first Deus Ex nine times, start to finish).

Creston

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo