Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Why No Unreal II Demo

A forum post reproduced on Unreality from Infogrames' Unreal Brand Manager, explains the reason there will be no official demo for Unreal II, for which no programming or QA assets have been allocated. The post does, however, go on to offer vague assurances that a video is in the works to give a sampling of gameplay, which will probably not be released until sometime after the game's launch: "...we plan to put something out that as you say - will allow people to see what the game looks and plays like without any editing or ‘tricks‘. Raw gameplay."

View
148 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

108. No subject Jan 30, 2003, 11:43 teh mane mahn

"Using the excuse of no demo = no sale is fair enough but to say you'll warez the game because of that is just plain pathetic."

That's pathetic, that you don't know how to read.

They'll take it off if the game is no good. If it's good then they'll buy it.

Oh, and EvilGoof_Troll, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

_____

The possible pain, suffering and sacrifice of discovery are by no means an excuse to remain ignorant.

_____

The possible pain, suffering and sacrifice of discovery are by no means an excuse to remain ignorant.

The bartering of things sought earned are by a means which only little men can abide by and hope to achieve.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

107. Re: deus ex Jan 30, 2003, 03:18 Von Helmet

Yeah, the pirates found ways to get all of Deus Ex playable.

Though frankly, now that it only costs like $10, there's no excuse not to buy it.

106. Re: deus ex Jan 30, 2003, 02:57 anders

lol i know at least a dozen people who have played a pirate copy of deus ex to end

105. Re: deus ex Jan 30, 2003, 02:36 Creston

Shit, I wouldn't have cared. That was one level MORE than I could play the last time (when I didn't have anything, and everyday I read reviews that gave it 118% and such..)

Creston

104. deus ex Jan 30, 2003, 02:21 Bakura

heh u ever play deus ex 1 pirated? You could only finish first lvl. When you goto get on the police boat it wont let you if it is pirated. Most likely deus ex 2 will have something like that

103. Re: Sigh Jan 30, 2003, 02:06 Creston

I fully agree Chance, but you have to admit that it's frigging STUPID of publishers to wait so long for the game to get into stores.

Here in the US it's not even so bad, as games are released quickly here, but when I lived back in Europe, I had to wait MONTHS for some games to be released over there. (Deus Ex, Bridge Commander are two that come to mind for which I had to wait months...)

If you are VERY VERY eager to play a game, it becomes an easy temptation to just download it. Publishers need to get their shit together and do worldwide publications on the same date, instead of the deliberate slow releases in different countries they do now (which, in the end, have nothing to do with anything except being able to raise the price in those countries. This is true for the consoles anyways, not sure how it relates these days in the PC market.)

I don't pirate stuff, but I can tell you that if Deus Ex 2 is available pirated before it ever gets into the stores, that I most likely will not be able to contain myself, even though I would still buy it once it became available. Still, there are many people out there who pirate stuff simply to get it earlier. And if your game is only 7 hours long, the odds of those people actually then going out and buying your game become pretty slim.

Who is to blame for this? The pirates, most definitely, but a large chunk of blame can also be put at the feet of the publisher. Which in this games is Infogrames, whom I hate with a Holy Passion anyways, so I have no qualms about putting any and everything at their feet, including world hunger.

Creston

102. Re: Sigh Jan 29, 2003, 21:55 Chance

Creston: "Yet another reason why piracy is so rampant. Why bother waiting when you can play the pirated version easily one or two weeks before the game is in the stores..."

Maybe because you have some respect for the people who made the game, oh -- and your honest. Bad combination these days I know.

101. Re: Sigh Jan 29, 2003, 20:56 Yosemite_SLAM

Agree, demo doesn't do me anygood if I got the game. does not = I have it yet. It means I'm buying it when it becomes available.

100. Sigh Jan 29, 2003, 19:19 Creston

Yet another reason why piracy is so rampant. Why bother waiting when you can play the pirated version easily one or two weeks before the game is in the stores...

Oh, and as for the PCZone review, pfff, they're like PCGamer, they take money for reviews (despite their incessant shouting from on top their little ivory tower that they don't).

Still, one thing PCGamer is good for is its got pretty good news sections (which consolidate news, so I don't have to read 30 different sites with 8000 popups to get the skinny), and they have ads / coupons for discounts at EB and BestBuy!

My two year subscription to PCGamer cost me 20 bucks, I've saved over 40 bucks so far with those coupons. That's a pretty sweet investment (latest coupon is for 10 bucks off on Unreal 2).

Still, SEVEN hours of gameplay? WTF is up with that? I thought Elite Force was a frigging joke, this seems to be only HALF of that.

Hey pirated copy owners, when you're done playing the game, please let us know how long it took you to finish it

Creston

This comment was edited on Jan 29, 19:23.

99. No subject Jan 29, 2003, 18:40 Panick

I godda agree, Fairlight is teh roxx0rz

And damn that installation took time, but at last I'm playing u2 and it's great. If UT2K3 ran fine with all the highest setting on your comp, this game will run just fine too (as for me!!!) Maybe im gonna buy tihs game...

*back to fragging*

Edit: Only a few bad things. There are ALOT of LONG loading times. And the animations for the characters are pretty stiff...

This comment was edited on Jan 29, 19:36.

98. Re: Possible Demo? Jan 29, 2003, 18:10 Yosemite_SLAM

Agree, demo doesn't do me anygood if I got the game.

97. Re: Possible Demo? Jan 29, 2003, 16:40 LFace

Stuff the demo, god bless ye Fairlight

96. Possible Demo? Jan 29, 2003, 16:12 Yosemite_SLAM

... looks like it might happen.

http://www.ina-community.com/forums/showthread.php?s=d577fe45be55a59a94a85388cedacad3&postid=3374369#post3374369

Glen Dahlgren:
"Now that Unreal II has gone gold, we've been exploring the possibility with Infogrames and Epic, which is something that Headup wasn’t aware of. FWIW, everyone involved—including Legend—is very conscious of the benefits of a demo, and we’d all love to do it. I hope to have more news soon."

95. Re: UK PC Gamer Jan 29, 2003, 00:04 Sty

"gave Ironstorm 96% & called it the 'next half-life'."

Hahahahahahaha Thanks I feel much better now. That's a pretty good one.

You know selling dlc before you patch the client doesn't impress upon me the need to support your shit. -massdev

94. Re: UK PC Gamer Jan 28, 2003, 23:15 anders

that same review also says only 7 hours of gameplay =/

I don't trust game mag reviews; it's in their interest to get people excited about new games. Especially after the biggest games mag here in oz gave Ironstorm 96% & called it the 'next half-life'.

93. ghey Jan 28, 2003, 23:14 MindTrigger

5-7 hours? Ghey.

I will pay $50 for an online shooter that I can play for months, maybe years....but $50 for 5-7 hours and some extreme eyecandy? Get real.

I make plenty of money, but I'm no sap. I'll just borrow it from a friend after they play through it.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

92. Re: UK PC Gamer Jan 28, 2003, 22:38 Tony!!!

Never a doubt in my mind, This is going to be one of THE game of 2003 to play.

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

91. UK PC Gamer Jan 28, 2003, 20:54 jm0ris0n

Some of you may find this of interest : http://www.gamershell.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=16&t=1179

Posted: Jan. 28 2003,20:10

The first review is in! PC Zone Magazine in the UK has given Unreal II a whopping 94%

Here are some choice quotes:

(Top Of The Shooters In The A-List - i.e. it's better than anything before)

"Breathtaking beauty and a startling variety in gameplay."
"There is no doubting the greatness of Unreal II."
"Real knowledge can only be conveyed in words: Games keep getting better. And this is the best."
"Sublime action, astonishing beauty."

90. Re: Haha Jan 28, 2003, 20:12 John

"The game's only going to be 5-7 hours long"

It all depends how fast you run through the game. Some people like to get through as fast as they can, and others like to take thier sweet time. I like to scope out the enemies before they see me.. whenever possible.

"GAME IS GOING TO DISAPPOINT"

I guess we'll find out in about a week.

This comment was edited on Jan 28, 20:14.

This space is available for rent

89. I TOLD YOU SO Jan 28, 2003, 20:06  Konocti 

I have been complaining about this for a while now and still can't figure out why they can't do it. It only takes a couple of weeks to pull a level out of the game so we could have had one around launch if they started working on it when the game went into manufacturing ("gold").

GAME IS GOING TO DISAPPOINT

148 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo