Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Postal 2 in Dutch?

Activist: Ban gay-shooting game on CNN (thanks devilbunny) is an article describing efforts by a the editor of the leading Dutch gay newspaper to prevent the sale of Postal 2 in Holland, saying the ability to shoot homosexuals in the game violates laws in place in the Netherlands "to protect people from discrimination based on sexual preference." The article has responses from Vince Desi of Running with Scissors, who says: "In the game, the player plays the role of a character called The Postal Dude. He lives in a town where there are all kinds of people, white, black, skinny, fat, straight and gay. You can play the game in a passive role without killing anyone... We are not political."

View
120 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

120. Re: WHO WHAT WHEN! Jan 30, 2003, 11:25 fredrickson

you idiot ho chi min was korean and now his son is in charge you are confused cause it split into north korea

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

119. Re: WHO WHAT WHEN! Jan 30, 2003, 04:15 Halcyon_Dream

Ho Chi Minh was Vietnamese.

You people voted for Hubert Humphrey. And you killed Jesus.

118. Re: WHO WHAT WHEN! Jan 29, 2003, 13:07 Von Helmet

Mmmm... Delicious breasts...

Anyway.

117. Re: WHO WHAT WHEN! Jan 29, 2003, 11:41 nin

the real problem is the korean immigrants spying for ho chi min il so that when they arm the nuclear missile they kjnow exactly where to strike and bush is just using the army for family feud instead of the real dangers of the Orient

Dude, haven't you heard? Ho Chi Min was actually Colonel Sanders! The man was a double agent! One minute he was spying on the White House, the next minute he was serving delicious breasts and tasty buttermilk biscuits!

Linger-Fickin GOOD!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

116. Re: WHO WHAT WHEN! Jan 29, 2003, 11:29 fredrickson

the real problem is the korean immigrants spying for ho chi min il so that when they arm the nuclear missile they kjnow exactly where to strike and bush is just using the army for family feud instead of the real dangers of the Orient

115. Re: WHO WHAT WHEN! Jan 28, 2003, 13:11 nin

drink the poopoo out of my diaper

This explains SO MUCH about you...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

114. Re: WHO WHAT WHEN! Jan 28, 2003, 12:40 fredrickson

drink the poopoo out of my diaper

113. WHO WHAT WHEN! Jan 27, 2003, 04:24 krimiN

WHO WHAT WHEN! where why! HAHAHHA WWWWW

112. Re: Who cares? Jan 25, 2003, 05:02 Halcyon_Dream

I don't see why the gay community is making such a big fuss over it. They've been stereotyped before in almost every media, if they can't accept what they've chosen and deal with the pros and cons perhaps they shouldn't be gay?

Well, two things: one, the gay community doesn't really appreciate stereotypes any more than any other group (although some more laid back gay people can laugh at themselves). Two, you don't just choose to be gay. You either are or you aren't. Being gay isn't like deciding what to wear in the morning.

Being anything other than straight and white (at least in the US) means being an "other." If you're a straight white guy, you're just that "guy." If you're a gay black man or whatever, you're that "gay black guy." That is precisely what makes some people uncomfortable with stereotypes.

But, even though I don't agree with the unfairness of some of the stereotypes in this and other games, I still support its right to exist and be published. You can't have the word "nigger" cut out of every copy of Huckleberry Finn, so why should a video game be treated any other way? It's still a medium of expression.

This comment was edited on Jan 25, 19:07.

111. Who cares? Jan 25, 2003, 04:46 Megatron5000

I don't see why the gay community is making such a big fuss over it. They've been stereotyped before in almost every media, if they can't accept what they've chosen and deal with the pros and cons perhaps they shouldn't be gay?

Everyone is stereotyped in the media anyway. When's the last time you saw a movie and a black guy was listening to rap, or the english guy was a butler or a woman had blonde hair and a huge chest? I don't mind stereotypes, sometimes in games you need to identify someone quickly without spending about 5 minutes establishing that this is indeed a woman or this guy is a butler and from England.

I think the main character in games needs to be thought out though. It's always a white guy. When's the last time you saw a fps with a 'minority' as the main character? I think Unreal 2 is the first game in a long while to do this, but on the other hand why would anyone care? But if you make someone to 'wacky' like a disabled latino who's gay, people would complain about the game being to immature. Being politically correct these days is to much hassle and making sure you don't offend anyone.

Also locking a thread because people have opinions is stupid. kthnxbye

110. Re: What the hell does it matter? Jan 25, 2003, 03:57 NLo

A game is a game... but just out of curiosity, does anyone know if in Postal 2 a Player can go into a Church or Mosquee and shoot down Christians or Muslims?

Don't know who said it, but if there is no such thing as bad publicity, than Postal 2 might be going to do wonders for emancipation. :p

Grtz,

NLoChrissieG

109. Re: No subject Jan 24, 2003, 13:39 Dr.Del

#106.,

Todd, that wasn't me, that was some other user pretending to be me by pretending to be Von Helmet

see what I mean?? people spam using different account names on Blues fairly often, so you never really know who's comment you are reading.

- Dr. Del

- DrDel

108. Re: I wonder what God's got for you Jan 24, 2003, 12:12 ZeeŽ

In reply to Bronco's comment:

I'm sure that the people producing/distributing this game are happy that their product has gained all of this additional attention. It will result it X number of additional copies it will sell.

While I am sure like any company they like publicity, you know they say even negative publicity is good, honestly, in talking with some of the guys over at RWS, they don't give a rat's ass, they know they have a great game on their hands and they know it's gonna sell good and they KNOW it will sell even better anywhere it's attempted to be banned.

Again though, this has gotten completely off-topic. Never was the topic whether anyone likes or dislikes gay people, never was it whether it's ok or not to portray gay people in games, hell it wasn't even whether it's ok to portray gay people in games and let the player kill said gay people...it was whether any group (in this case a pro-gay group) has the right to ban a game simply because they feel it's unfair to their special interest group.

This comment was edited on Jan 24, 12:17.

107. Re: No subject Jan 24, 2003, 11:52 Satyric0n

Actually, it's not Dr. Del in #103; Dr. Del's user id is 10723, while the real Von Helmet's user id is 9036. The user id of the poster of #103 is 15165, which appears to belong to some troll/asshole Patel, just look at his previous posts, you can see what an overall idiot he is.

This comment was edited on Jan 24, 11:59.

106. No subject Jan 24, 2003, 11:29 Mead

"All this gay talk sure is making me horny!!!!

- Von Helmet (no, this is really Dr. Del trying to illustrate a point)"

No, now you're not illustrating a point anymore, you're just being an asshole.

105. Re: post #100! Jan 24, 2003, 11:17 Dwarf_Snowninja

Yeah, I know the original guy was pretty funny. Half his replies never even made sense, if you could actually bear to read through the entire thing.

104. Re: post #100! Jan 24, 2003, 10:59 fredrickson

the good thing about being gay when you are young is that innocent sleepovers become wickedly fun and your parents wont know a thing

103. Re: post #100! Jan 24, 2003, 10:34 DusterAZ

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Apr 10, 17:52.

102. Re: post #100! Jan 24, 2003, 10:14 fredrickson

thanks for the info i didnt know that....

101. Re: post #100! Jan 24, 2003, 09:21 Dr.Del

oh! look at me!

I am Von Helmet now.... all of you guys stink.. you smell funny and your mothers are weiners...

- Von Helmet (no, this is really Dr. Del trying to illustrate a point)

- DrDel

120 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo