Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New Jedi Knight Shooter?

HomeLan Fed is reporting on a tidbit dropped during an Activision investor's conference call that a sequel to Raven's Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast is expected to be released during fiscal 2004 (mid 2003-mid 2004 by more traditional calendars). There is no official confirmation of this report, nor is there any indication which combination of the franchise's splintered titles this project might carry, as it could be considered Dark Forces IV, Jedi Knight III, or Jedi Outcast II.

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

15. Re: A resounding Jan 23, 2003, 14:36 Devster

I adored Dark Forces, and Jedi Knight was certainly a worthy sequel, though it perhaps lacked some of the atmosphere of the first. Jedi Outcast was such a non-event I almost regret the time I spent playing it, which is a terrible thing to say I know. It was quite astoundingly lifeless.

hmmm, we're like opposites on this, almost. While I admit I at times enjoyed the hugeness of the levels in the 1st JK, I'd argue it was more the lifeless, with rampant space almost for the sake of it sometimes. Outcast was more busy, and gave the appearance of more interaction, though more could be done with force powers (but isn't that always the case? :)). That being said, I enjoyed it more than JK.

I wonder whether lack of immersiveness a perceived connection is a spin-off of games moving to scripted in-engine sequences rather than movies (AoM & C&C Generals being the most recent examples off the top of my head). It's harder to feel empathy for sprites (if I can still use that term), though sure, gameflow isn't 'interrupted' and you can barge right into the mission...

Devster

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Another Character Jan 23, 2003, 14:14 the_culture

Maybe doing an expansion like they did for Jedi Knight with Mara Jade. That would allow player to control a different character with different goals.

Alex
-----------
Spatial Fear
Director/Creative Designer
www.planetunreal.com/spatialfear/

13. sequel or not? Jan 23, 2003, 14:13 vacs

I really like the "Dark Forces IV, Jedi Knight III, or Jedi Outcast II" comment

12. Re: Hoping for better MP in this one. Jan 23, 2003, 13:50 mithiril

No matter what, I think it should take place in the Original Trilogy or in the Extended Universe, with the Empire and stuff, all events after the prequels.

I personally do think Kyle should stay, but to expand on gameplay, you dont need to have Kyle as the only character you play as throughout the course of the game. Something big is going on, so Kyle goes off and does his own thing, some levels follow that, and they'll cycle with levels of another character mabye, that went off and did his own thing.

It should have stronger multiplayer than the first game, and above all, have good a good modding community.

or this may just be an expansion...

11. Re: And different character Jan 23, 2003, 13:42 ExcessDan

Oh ya, I forgot about the end boss. I beat him in less than 10 seconds. The girl you had to fight was harder and so were those god damned jedi-bots.

Dan
Intel 486SX, Trident video, 8MB RAM, 14" Generic Monitor, 100 MB HDD, Windows 3.11

ExcessDan

10. ugh... Jan 23, 2003, 13:18 Hyatus

Geez, people.
Use a *spoilers* tag.
Some of us haven't finished/played this game.

Biznitches...

-Hyatus
"da da da"

9. Re: If it's really a sequel... Jan 23, 2003, 13:16 nin

Oh, hey, I just thought of something... how much ass would it kick if they dropped Lando in as the protagonist? They could introduce a brand new set of Force powers, like Swagger and Smooth Talk (a variety of the Mind Trick, naturally).

Lando's health pick up would be a Colt 40oz.

Yoda would be cool since you'd run around hitting stormtroopers in the shins with the lightsabre. His main force power would be "Confusion". You'd press the button and he'd say some ass-backward sentence like "Fly through the air like a mineock, you will!" and the bad guys would just stand around, dumbfounded.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

8. If it's really a sequel... Jan 23, 2003, 13:08 Debaser

They probably won't deviate all that much from the story arc. At most, they'll take a character from Jedi Outcast and spin off an idea from. Sequels don't tend to stray from a sales-proven formula.

Oh, hey, I just thought of something... how much ass would it kick if they dropped Lando in as the protagonist? They could introduce a brand new set of Force powers, like Swagger and Smooth Talk (a variety of the Mind Trick, naturally).

7. Re: And different character Jan 23, 2003, 12:54 nin

I'm getting sick of that Kyle Katarn guy

Me too. Think it's time for a new story arc, with a new main character. Obi Wan? Mace? (Dare I say) Yoda? (Whiney ass) Luke?

Anyone but Kyle, please!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

6. Re: And different character Jan 23, 2003, 12:47 tunis5000

If I recall correctly, Kyle keeps the lightsabre and heads off with Jan in Outcast. You thinking of another JK?  
-----------------------------------------------
I like pie.

5. A resounding "Hm" Jan 23, 2003, 12:46 Dr.Haggard

I adored Dark Forces, and Jedi Knight was certainly a worthy sequel, though it perhaps lacked some of the atmosphere of the first. Jedi Outcast was such a non-event I almost regret the time I spent playing it, which is a terrible thing to say I know. It was quite astoundingly lifeless.

You know sometimes when a game just fails to move you to the point where you go through the motions of playing it, hoping it will improve, but you end up just wasting several hours of your life completing the stupid thing and nothing remotely exciting ever happens?

Coincidentally I feel the same way about The Thing which I'm playing at the moment. Some special ingredient is missing, it's not immersive, or even enjoyable for some reason, just dull, when it really shouldn't be

4. And different character Jan 23, 2003, 12:36 the_culture

*spoiler*

I'm getting sick of that Kyle Katarn guy. Was anyone else disappointed by the weak ending? I enjoyed the SP portion, but that ending was horrible. Kyle beats that lizard dude, then tells Luke, "Here, hold this lightsaber for me. I'm still confused and lonely. Somebody please hold me." Blah blah blah.

Lightsaber combat in the game was very cool, especially when you got to fight along side your friends.

I'm most surprised that it didn't get an expansion. I thought this game sold pretty well...?

EDIT: added spoiler tag. Sorry about that.

Alex
-----------
Spatial Fear
Director/Creative Designer
www.planetunreal.com/spatialfear/
This comment was edited on Jan 23, 14:09.

3. Re: Hoping for better MP in this one. Jan 23, 2003, 12:07 Vincent Murphy

Yeah, I stopped playing multiplayer after getting force pulled/pushed/gripped off ledges constantly.

2. Re: Hoping for better MP in this one. Jan 23, 2003, 12:06 ExcessDan

This is definitely good news. I beat the single player of the last one and I loved multiplayer until they put the first patch out and it wasn't fun anymore.

Dan
Intel 486SX, Trident video, 8MB RAM, 14" Generic Monitor, 100 MB HDD, Windows 3.11

ExcessDan

1. Hoping for better MP in this one. Jan 23, 2003, 11:21 Oberiko

While I liked the SP of Jedi Outcast, I found the multiplayer lacking.

Here's hoping they add a mercenary/bounty hunter clas and restrict the weapons of force users to lightsabres.

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo