Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Temporarily Out of Steam

Valve sends word that their Steam Pipe is running at capacity, and for the moment, admission to the new Counter-Strike beta has been suspended:

Steam Beta 2.0 Admission Suspended

The Counter-Strike and Team Fortress communities have maxed out the Steam 2.0 beta servers, resulting in the temporarily suspension of admission to the beta as more content servers are put online. The current Steam content servers offer over 500 megabits of bandwidth, all of which the community is consuming right now.

Anyone interested in hosting a Steam content server should email biz@steampowered.com. (Content server requirements can be found at www.steampowered.com.)

View
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

57. Re: Make games cheaper? NO! Jan 23, 2003, 03:52 Halo

Just to let everybody in... I just got it right now. Valve, Steam, Steam Valve, Pipes of bandwidth. Bandwidth = steam, being released by a valve.

it's so funny.

~Halo

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

56. Re: Make games cheaper? NO! Jan 23, 2003, 00:57 fredrickson

Cold - Eeze and Zicam both have some scientific support for working. There was a good journal article in early 2002 supporting it. The catch is that it must be started within the first 24 hours of symptoms, otherwise most of the benefit you get is probably placebo.....

Medically this makes sense, as most of the lingering symptoms from a cold are due to loss of mucosal celluloid. The bulk of that mucosal loss likely occurs in the first 24 hours of cold symptoms, so if you stop that, you lessen the cold severity....

55. Re: Make games cheaper? NO! Jan 22, 2003, 12:55 anon@127.0.0.1

Bandwidth caps aren't going to last any longer then pay-by-the-hour ISP fees. Competition will see to that.

And I generally wait until something is at least out of beta before I call it a "rediculous failure".

I am not a man! I am a free number!

54. Re: Make games cheaper? NO! Jan 22, 2003, 00:08 quazz

Another reason why it won't work, while broadband is getting more and more widespread, bandwith cap are getting more and more restrictive. Sure, I can download a 1500 MB game in under an hour, but that's one fourth of my monthly bandwith. It's probably not worth it...

Really, such a technology will not replace boxed game anytime soon, but it could provide an alternative at a slightly lower cost.

But this is a rediculous failure and another reason to bash CS

This comment was edited on Jan 22, 00:08.

53. Re: Make games cheaper? NO! Jan 21, 2003, 20:17 Scottish Martial Arts

Daegan... we know that Doom III will have great graphics and it *might* have good gameplay. We know, in all likelyhood, that CS:CZ will have neither. It's been passed around more than a Hollywood starlet. No developer seems to want to stay with it. There's probably a reason for that. On the other hand, who knows, maybe it'll be the Holy Grail of gaming. But I wouldn't stake my life, or even $49 on it.

Agreed CS:CZ will likely suck.

52. Re: Make games cheaper? NO! Jan 20, 2003, 00:55 Chance

Daegan... we know that Doom III will have great graphics and it *might* have good gameplay. We know, in all likelyhood, that CS:CZ will have neither. It's been passed around more than a Hollywood starlet. No developer seems to want to stay with it. There's probably a reason for that. On the other hand, who knows, maybe it'll be the Holy Grail of gaming. But I wouldn't stake my life, or even $49 on it.

51. Re: Make games cheaper? NO! Jan 19, 2003, 19:49 anon@24.76

"(whos gonna pay full price for something without a box and manual). You will Garry, and so will everyone else, if that product is Counter-Strike 2 or something comparable. You'll gladly shell out $50 or $60 just like everyone else"

Well lets see, highspeed internet getting faster and cheaper, and file distribution systems getting better all the time...
Lots of people ALREADY get games over the internet with NO box and NO cd. But the diffrence is that they dont pay ANY money. How would a system that charged $60 and was probably slower compare to this?

50. Re: Make games cheaper? NO! Jan 19, 2003, 13:02 Daegen

Why do barriers have to be broken for a new game? Didn't you know that most games that break barriers usually aren't very good games? Doom3 will probably wow me, but I certainly don't expect it to be a good game. I'd say CS:CZ has a better chance of being a good game than Doom3.

49. Re: Make games cheaper? NO! Jan 19, 2003, 01:32 DrEvil

a $100 price tag on any game would increase the number of warezed copies, theres a limit to how much the public is willing to get fucked, and that far exceeds it.

48. Re: Make games cheaper? NO! Jan 18, 2003, 20:57 Zephalephelah

46. Re: Make games cheaper? NO! Jan 18, 13:22 c r i s p y
I seriously doubt that changing the delivery method of selling games (i.e. Steam) will have an appreciable effect of the price of software. The market decides what people are prepared to pay for games, and that market has already decided that $60-80 is an acceptable price to most people.

BINGO! That's exactly the truth. When CD-ROM games came out, they were replacing games shipping with 4-8 Diskettes. CDs were cheaper to create by far. The price remained the same.

As someone said before, when CDs came out, the marketing people were telling everyone how much cheaper they were to create compared to cassette tapes and especially the still inferior hi-grade metal tapes. But they were and still are more expensive to purchase.

It is all about supply & demand. I guarantee you that if Doom3 came out today and had a price tag of $100, that it would still sell very well. Put the same price tag on that pathetic piece of junk WarCrap3, and hardly anyone would have bought it.

If CS-2 comes out over steam for $60, I'm going to buy it, and guess what, so will you.

And you know what?, I don't really care as long as they provide some downloadable content so that I can create my own backup CD with gaming art for the platter and sleeves. I have a printer. I certainly don't mind that more money is going to the game developer rather than the distributors and manufacturers. In fact, I would suggest that since successful gaming companies make their people rich and Steam would make them far, far richer, then that would mean that more people would flock to game companies as a career, meaning better games.

I don't care if I have to pay $40, $50, $80, or $120. Just wow! me. I'm tired of waiting for the next big thing. It's been years since I've been awed by a game. I don't care how you sell it to me, just sell it to me. Doom3 is the only thing that is on the drawing board that even looks remotely interesting.

I've been around since Pong & Asteroids. I've been amazed before. The crap that is coming out isn't breaking barriers. Doom was a wow for 2-1/2D. Quake was a wow for 3D. Quake3 was a wow for rounded high graphics. Half-Life, NOLF, & Thief were wows for AI interaction. Decent was a wow 6-degrees of movement. Counter-sTrike was a wow for real-world weaponry in action games. Unreal had a compelling story. But Unreal 2 will just be a little better by comparison. CS:CZ is a joke, even if it is a good joke; there aren't any barriers being broken. NOLF2 just copied Thief & Hitman. I don't remember the last time I liked a space game or flight sim. WOW ME!, if you want to take my money.

47. Re: Make games cheaper? NO! Jan 18, 2003, 14:44 DrEvil

when you can cut out the publisher which is roughly half the cost per copy the developer makes more money, it waits to be seen whether they will actually "pass the savings on to the users" like they claim they are going to do if steam works and they end up using it for future games.

46. Re: Make games cheaper? NO! Jan 18, 2003, 13:22 c r i s p y

I seriously doubt that changing the delivery method of selling games (i.e. Steam) will have an appreciable effect of the price of software. The market decides what people are prepared to pay for games, and that market has already decided that $60-80 is an acceptable price to most people.

All that Steam-like systems will do is put more money into the hands of the developer, who at the moment are paying publishers to distribute thier product. Hopefully, this will translate into higher quality games and/or faster development cycles. Time will tell.

---
Chris.

45. Re: Make games cheaper? NO! Jan 18, 2003, 04:38 DrEvil

i dont think they anticipated the number of CS'ers that were going to want to participate in this beta, especially since an earlier version of CS was beta testing on steam 1 before release, however it had no new weapons and stuff so I reckon thats why there was little interest in it.

44. Re: Make games cheaper? NO! Jan 18, 2003, 04:27 BicycleRepairMan

Steam will truly be a revolution if it works. and games will be cheaper and faster delivered. think about it, if or when valve release tf2 after steam has left beta, they can do it on steam, and theyll have millions of CS-players one click away from buying it, and the game would be nearly impossible to pirate, or cheat in, and they dont need ANY publishers, no packaging , shipping, going gold, and since the game is always one click away from cs, they probably dont need to spend anything on marketing and advertising

Also, the reason its overloaded right now, is because of the beta stage, where it requires much more downloading than in the finished steam 2.0 , However, I WAS suprised that valve was so unprepared on the millions of cs-gamers who have waited so long for a new cs..

Also Also, I signed up about 12 hrs ago to steam. Long after it was "closed". I downloaded it through the "CS Central" link that used to be up on www.steampowered.com Is this "closing" just a ban on distributing the steaminstall.exe file?

43. Re: Make games cheaper? NO! Jan 18, 2003, 02:00 Zephalephelah

Garry 28: " I don't think steam will ever completely replace buying a game from a shop but it will be alot cheaper (whos gonna pay full price for something without a box and manual). "

You will Garry, and so will everyone else, if that product is Counter-Strike 2 or something comparable. You'll gladly shell out $50 or $60 just like everyone else, the only difference is that the manufacturers and the publishers won't be in on it, while the game makers & marketing personnel will be in a green water rapids of dead president faces.

42. Re: bad idea valve Jan 17, 2003, 22:48 DrEvil

"The steam 2.0 cache? If it is so easy to access, why don't you bundle up the upgrade files and post them in alt.binaries?"

its as simple as copying the folders under steam\steamcache\ to the steamcache folder on the 2nd system, no harder than copying the game normally.

The point is Valve doesn't want you to be able to do what you said, and have taken measures in Steam to make that difficult. I guess copying a whole install over to another machine might work. Will have to try that. But again, that's not the point. Their wonderful distributed system of file distribution is garbage when you compare it to FTP, but allows them total control over the users. Which is why nobody is playing 1.6. "

Uhh, theres nothing difficult about it, drag and drop, there are no prevention measures, sure steam is going to check and make sure you have the right files, which is a good thing, hopefully it will make it a little harder for people to use altered files to cheat, The other upside to steam is the automatic delivery of updates and stuff. I dont like the idea of having to download the entire thing to get started, I wish it would use some of the pak files we already have, if it can verify their integrity. you people are getting paranoid about this thing you are going to be able to play it on several computers by copying the files, you think they want to pay bandwidth charges for people that have to download the shit several times, get real. Its a very simple concept, steam is basically a front end for the games, checks to make sure you got the most up to date version and sends you the files if you dont, they are stored in a cache folder, copy whats in the cache folder to the other computer and when you connect with that computer steam will see the files already there and not need to download them again. Theres a couple things I'm not going to tolerate though, and one of them is how it likes to run in the background and shit.

"Which is why nobody is playing 1.6."
uh no, the reason noone is playing 1.6 is because their bandwidth couldnt handle the massive amount of people that are trying to get it, many of which arent comprehending that steam and CS and TFC are betas in this thing.

This comment was edited on Jan 17, 22:49.

41. Re: No subject Jan 17, 2003, 21:31 Rolphus

Don't you mean a more "steamlined gaming service"?

<ducks the rotting fruit being thrown at him>

40. Re: No subject Jan 17, 2003, 18:53 Scottish Martial Arts

What is Power Play?

It was to be some sort of network infrastructure that allowed modem users to achieve broadband performance in internet gaming. The basic idea was that it would unify all the various components of network play (ISP, telephone lines, routers, servers) under one entity, allowing for a much more streamlined gaming service. Needless to say the idea failed, miserably. My expectation of Steam is that it will follow the same path.

39. Re: I can't believe this... Jan 17, 2003, 18:12 jim

Havent been able to get on to steam to download anything, lol, whats up with that.
I also have cs on two cp's, i hope they dont ruin a good thing.

38. Re: bad idea valve Jan 17, 2003, 16:32 kabloie

"use a bit of common sense and realize you can copy the cache files from one computer to the other"

The steam 2.0 cache? If it is so easy to access, why don't you bundle up the upgrade files and post them in alt.binaries?

The point is Valve doesn't want you to be able to do what you said, and have taken measures in Steam to make that difficult. I guess copying a whole install over to another machine might work. Will have to try that. But again, that's not the point. Their wonderful distributed system of file distribution is garbage when you compare it to FTP, but allows them total control over the users. Which is why nobody is playing 1.6.

57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo