Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BF1942: The Road to Rome Preview

There's a Battlefield 1942: The Road to Rome Preview on GameSpot with a look at the upcoming BF1942 add-on that focuses on World War II's Sicilian campaign. Describing the expansion as being nearly ready to ship, they discuss how work is underway separately on a gameplay patch for both the add-on and the original game, the add-on's Italian setting, the six new included maps, the nine new vehicles, new weapons, balance issues, and more.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Stupid gamespot Jan 10, 2003, 05:04 Cicatrix

thank you very much, I do have kazaa lite installed and it told me to overwrite the host file with the one packaged with that. I'm going to try looking for some more answers on the gamespot site.

I had the same problem. I figured out that gamespot uses a lot of images from blah.image.com. I just removed "image.com" line from the hosts file and it worked fine. The hosts file kazaa gives you is kinda messed up and seems to be repeated about 3 times, so make sure you get all of them out of there...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. I love this game Jan 10, 2003, 02:20 Fausticle

i found a great server with very strict rules and a 90 sec spawn time. the admins always there to boot people even for not playing as a team.It sounds harsh but its the best server out there and its almost always full

19. Re: Consolidation not getting equal time? Jan 9, 2003, 23:55 The Mule

Mike you are so right. This game has some of the worst TKers I have ever seen, its freakin anarchy. I just never understand why there are ANY public servers with FF turned on. No moderator can see every player all the time, and thats if they even care. And even so, then everyone has to sit through a whine fest and a campaign to kick the TK punk, and then the mod probably isnt going to kick the guy that started it but some other guy that gets sick of the crap and TK's back. Its ridiculous, like Jerry Springer show or something.

And God forbid you get a plane....every mofo plane camper on the runway (usually about half the friggin team) is going to try to mow you down on takeoff.

I need a bong hit just thinking about it...

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 23:56.

MAIN PC (for Soupkin)
=======
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
AMD Barton 2800
1024 Meg Corsair XMS PC3200 CAS2(2x512 in Dual Channel)
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
Maxtor 40 Gig 7200 RPM ATA133
Maxtor 60 Gig 7200 RPM ATA133
350W Power Supply
Windows XP Home

18. Re: Consolidation not getting equal time? Jan 9, 2003, 22:46 TimothyB

They need to do a patch so that repair stations and hangers won't repair the enemy. This becomes most annoying when people camp in a hanger with a tank. It's a waste of time to keep attacking it while it gets healed and it's covered from attack so much that it can usually get the first shot as you position or try to move in the hanger.

17. Re: Consolidation not getting equal time? Jan 9, 2003, 20:48 Hump

Omaha Beach doesn't really apply to this, though, that map is pretty frustrating if you're the assaulter (allied)

I absolutely HATED Omaha when the game first came out because it seems like I always ended up on the Alies and as you said they have a hard time of breaking through the Axis defense. Then I mustve gotten lucky because I had a few nights in a row where the allied team was really coming together and it ended up as one of my memorable MP experiences in a long, long time.

Battle of the Bulge can either be a great map or one of the most frustrating depending on whether the Axis get their tanks positioned at the Allied spawn points. If they do and get the one escape route covered with a few infantry then you might as well go get a cup of coffee because its all over.

Anyway, they new maps look really swank, I hope they play as good as they look.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

16. Re: Consolidation not getting equal time? Jan 9, 2003, 17:51 M][ke

i am a serious player and i don't like the idea of going in a 100% FF game cuz i know some F**ktard is going to exp-pak my tank or some sh*t like that. clan servers are ussually better admined than those EA one tho.

-M][ke
LEMMIWINKS! NOOO!!! -Butters

-M][ke
"They call them fingers but I never see them fing.... oh, there they go."
Otto, The Simpsons.

15. Re: Damn, theese guys are serious... Jan 9, 2003, 17:15 SubhumaN

I wish they would of seen that before they fucked Global Ops up the ass

14. Re: Consolidation not getting equal time? Jan 9, 2003, 15:59 Ryan

To really enjoy this game you need to find a good server or two to play on and only play on those. It takes awhile to find a good server with good team-oriented people on it, but when you do it's totally worth it.

My advice is try a clan server rather than one of the EA ones. 100% FF seems to scare off many of the less serious players, so I usually try one with that set first.

I was totally about to never play this game again until I found a couple clan servers to play on, since then it's been an absolute joy. (cept I get strafed by a plane about every 30 seconds )

13. Re: Consolidation not getting equal time? Jan 9, 2003, 15:45 Azraelot

I love this game. I play it probably a couple of hours every night. Hopefully these new maps won't be as imbalanced as some of the BF1942 ones; in particular, I think the Assault map idea needs a little work. Maybe make it so that the assaulting team needs to capture a flag to stop bleeding, and not simply contest it, or contest two of them. It always seems to me that playing Tobruk or Battle of the Bulge that the Axis has a bit of an advantage, since all they have to do is take over one flag and they will probably still have a sizable ticket advantage due to their head start at the beginning of the game.

Omaha Beach doesn't really apply to this, though, that map is pretty frustrating if you're the assaulter (allied). But damn, this game is good.

http://www.matthewrorie.com
http://users.ign.com/collection/Azraelot

12. Re: Stupid gamespot Jan 9, 2003, 15:40 ExcessDan

thank you very much, I do have kazaa lite installed and it told me to overwrite the host file with the one packaged with that. I'm going to try looking for some more answers on the gamespot site.. thanks again

Dan
Intel 486SX, Trident video, 8MB RAM, 14" Generic Monitor, 100 MB HDD, Windows 3.11

ExcessDan

11. Re: Stupid gamespot Jan 9, 2003, 15:04 Rigs

Dan, this is a problem that crops up if you have Kazaa installed. It changes the hosts file on your Windows system and blocks out the provider that Gamespot uses. There should be instructions on how to fix on Gamespot...

=-Rigs-=

"Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going! We talked about peace. You didn't want peace. We talked about cooperation. You didn't want cooperation. You want war! Is that it? You want a war? Well you've got a WAR!"
- John Sheridan, Babylon 5
This comment was edited on Jan 9, 15:05.

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'

10. Re: No subject Jan 9, 2003, 15:03 Halo

I used to play Codename eagle online, and then when this came out I was very excitied. It died kinda quickly with my friends because there was really no community to the game. I've tried and was wondering if anybody else has tried the Desert Combat mod. Sure it may be in Ultra Alpha mode but it amazing to finally see Some effort go forth in community support, even though there was probably only some 20 odd people plaing the game :|. There are some pretty god Mod ideas for this game, but they seem to only be done with just different periods in time.

~Halo

9. No subject Jan 9, 2003, 14:37 Jobz

this game reminds me of Operation Flashpoint MP, the novelty of driving the vehicles gets boring quickly then when it comes to actually trying to kill anyone it seems to be down to luck rather than any skill. People are so desperate for a full blown combat FPS they play any old crap. this game fits nicely into the 'Jack of all trades master of none' category.

8. Stupid gamespot Jan 9, 2003, 14:08 ExcessDan

I'm having problems with gamespot's site, maybe someone else is having the same thing happen. I go to the site and just about all the images have the red x on them. I formatted recently (not because of this of course) and still the images don't load. I find this very strange

Dan
Intel 486SX, Trident video, 8MB RAM, 14" Generic Monitor, 100 MB HDD, Windows 3.11

ExcessDan

7. Re: No subject Jan 9, 2003, 13:48 XEON

well if they implemented something along the lines of the aiming system in either Halo or Ghost Recon I'd be as happy as a pig in sh*t

The Q3 / Q4 was from something I saw online a good while ago - I've had a hunt around since I last posted and everywhere is a TBA so wouldn't put too much into those dates. Hopefully EA or DICE will let something slip soon!

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering - Bruce Lee"

===
B: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

P: I think so, Brain, but where are we going to find a duck and a hose at this hour?

6. Re: No subject Jan 9, 2003, 13:32 Hump

"is there really going to be an xbox version. That would be super cool."

That and Return to Castle Wolfenstein's single & multiplayer as well. I think both games would really be perfect for Xbox Live! Just as long as they take their time with the FPS aiming properties both should be system sellers.

Q3-Q4 is a long ways off though

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

5. Re: No subject Jan 9, 2003, 13:11 XEON

I'm sure I saw a tentative release date for XBOX version as Q3/Q4 2003.

If you check www.tothegame.com for updates as they are usually pretty spot on with release dates (or at least one of the first sites to change the dates when stuff slips!)

On the enhancement front they seem from that article to be approaching BF like Codies did with OpFlash which is a great thing for the gamer

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering - Bruce Lee"

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 13:12.

===
B: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

P: I think so, Brain, but where are we going to find a duck and a hose at this hour?

4. No subject Jan 9, 2003, 13:01 Sparrow

is there really going to be an xbox version. That would be super cool.

3. Re: Damn, theese guys are serious... Jan 9, 2003, 11:32 ShakyJake

I about fell in love with the screenshot showing a PaK 40 in use. Anti-tank guns are something I'd always felt were missing from the game...

2. Re: Damn, theese guys are serious... Jan 9, 2003, 11:30 Hump

Perhaps EA is getting it through their head that there are other titles besides The Sims that you should continue to support after its benn put on the shelves...

BTW, is there any approximate date for when BF '42 is being released for Xbox? Can't wait as voice chat will significantly change the gameplay for the better (one would hope)

- Jim Goad

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo