Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Enter the Matrix Screenshots

EBgames' Enter the Matrix Page has a pop-up window that offers 10 lowish-resolution screenshots from Enter the Matrix, the upcoming cross-platform game based on the trilogy of Wachowski Brothers Matrix movies. Thanks Ray Marden.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. No subject Dec 31, 2002, 19:28 Tra'Hari

One thing that does interest me is that, according to an article I read in Entertainment Weekly, the Wachowski brothers are collaborating with the devs on the game.

Another interesting point is that the game won't be a rehash of the movie. It's going to be set in the world, and it may be in continuity, but it will play the role as a companion to the films instead of the usual "copy the movie's plot and turn it into a game somehow."

In light of these facts, I am cautiously optimistic.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: No subject Dec 31, 2002, 11:14 Von Helmet

Some of the Star Wars games have been pretty sweet.

But yeah, most games based on films suck.

36. Re: No subject Dec 31, 2002, 08:19 BicycleRepairMan

"Turd movie. Turd game?"

Neither the game nor the movie has been released. So...?

Personally I liked the first Matrix movie, the screenshots looks kinda good, (except for the low-res), however it is a known fact that games based on movies=absolute turd, except of course incredibly good independent projects with a vision, like AliensDOOM, but they all get foxed ofcourse.

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively , there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather." -Bill Hicks

35. Re: Hmm... Dec 30, 2002, 16:53 ReDeeMeR

yea I remember Requiem, was pretty cool and had the best looking models to that date.

34. Re: Hmm... Dec 30, 2002, 12:58 McBain

another 'tidbit' on bullettime
the first game to actually incorporate anything like that INTO gameplay was 3do's Requiem, which was somewhere around 5 years or so ago. Awesome shooter. I loved it. However, it sold about 1k copies and the multiplayer was pitiful.

33. Re: No subject Dec 29, 2002, 20:12 osmium

well, i hate to prove you all wrong, but i'm going to do it anyway. After a bit of digging round, it seems the 'timeslicing' was invented by tim macmillan in 1980 whilst at the bath acadamy of art. You can see more information on it, the cameras he uses / makes, and early examples of his work over @ http://www.timeslicefilms.com/

as for the technique being used in hk martial arts.. well, i think that you're wrong on that one also mainly because until recently any type of digital effect in asian films proved to be too expensive to produce. The earliest examples of digital effects of any note i can think of in HK films are in jackie chan's twin dragons, and jet li's black mask - and neither of these used bullet time or time splicing. In actual fact, action inspiration for the matrix came not only from slow motion fight sequences from HK cinema (which could never reach the extreme slowness of the matrix, again because of the digital interpolation of frames the matrix uses), and from japanese anime films such as ghost in the shell which has good examples of slow motion ejecting shells and empty gun cartrtidges. The only thing the matrix really takes wholey from asian action films is the the martial arts themselves, and the wirework - which was nearly never used in the states before this time.

the earliest use of time slicing i can remember from hollywood (it'd be nice to know the actual first HOLLYWOOD film to use it (i think merlin was a tv film)) is lost in space, which used it several times during the leap sequence. Before that my first memory of it was on national lottery adverts here in the UK during the early 90's.

And before i finally shut up, there is a great tv commercial running here in the UK at the moment which has a great example of taking timeslicing to the next level by using an extended shutter time to get motion blurred timeslicing, which just looks great. If you in the UK, check out the 'muck about' commercial by orange - A digital equivelant featured during the sex scene of fight club..

32. No subject Dec 29, 2002, 15:29 teh mane mahn

I'm on one of those TV-Internet things in a hotel outside of LA. I flew into LA for 3 days before I go to Hawaii for some sight-seeing and to visit some of my father's old friends.

P.S. The movie Merlin used the slot-motion effects two times and was released ayear before The Matrix.

_____

The possible pain, suffering and sacrifice of discovery are by no means an excuse to remain ignorant.

_____

The possible pain, suffering and sacrifice of discovery are by no means an excuse to remain ignorant.

The bartering of things sought earned are by a means which only little men can abide by and hope to achieve.

31. Re: Two things Dec 29, 2002, 09:16 TangledThorns

The game looks a little to Playstationy for me so I may not buy it unless it has really good reviews. I think the only people that will buy Matrix games are those that follow the hype. I'm talkin' about the same crowd that bought the Blair Witch games and loved that God aweful movie.

I am excited about the new Matrix movies though.

30. Re: Two things Dec 29, 2002, 07:03 vacs

In fact, "Bullet-time" was not in any way an invention of the Matrix SFX Team. The real inventor is the french director called Michel Gondry who filmed the controverse "Human Nature" and the excellent " Star Guitar" video clip a song by the chemical brothers.

As innovative as the Matrix is, it unfortunately can't take credit for the "bullet-time" FX although they took the technique to the next level and made the trick very popular...

29. Two things Dec 29, 2002, 06:14 Von Helmet

1) Max Payne wasn't stealing exclusively from The Matrix with the whole bullet time gig. The idea has been around for years in old kung fu films. Not in the same way (i.e the old films didn't have the camera trickery to do it as well as in The Matrix) but the ideas were there and both Max Payne and The Matrix were stealing from those older films.

2) From what I've read, the plot of the game runs parallel to that of the film(s) and to get a better understanding of the Matrix world you should watch the films and play the game.

28. Re: No subject Dec 28, 2002, 11:42 vacs

Just another game based on a movie?

"Enter The Matrix!"

Where is the exit?

27. Re: No subject Dec 28, 2002, 10:34 ReDeeMeR

Huh max payne was very nice game and this doesnt look anything like it, this looks like dated console game, lts just hpe it wont play like one.

26. Re: No subject Dec 27, 2002, 22:08 nin

Of games that have been made based on movies, what percentage of those have actually been good enough that they could have been successful even without the movie "tie-in".?

You know, out of the hundreds that get made, I would think at least one or two would be good, yet I can't think of any off the top of my head...

Wait a minute...TRON! And not that 2.0 crap either...

edit: forgot the q on the This comment was edited on Dec 27, 22:09.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

25. Re: No subject Dec 27, 2002, 21:58 seenitall

I think the question of 'will it be good' can be settled pretty quickly:

Of games that have been made based on movies, what percentage of those have actually been good enough that they could have been successful even without the movie "tie-in".?

I rest my case.

24. Re: wha? Dec 27, 2002, 14:12 DusterAZ

Gay

- Dr. Del
http://www.SuperBlog.com
AMD XP 2200+, ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, 512 RAM, 19" ViewSonic LCD flat panel, 120 G WD HDD 8meg cache, WinXP Pro SP1

23. Re: wha? Dec 27, 2002, 12:24 osmium

13 - "What do you mean? "
"I had some serious fun playing that game. "

okay... it was fun the first time going into bullet time before entering a room, and sloooowly picking off as many guys before going to normal speed. but after 10minutes of initial play no new elements were introduced other than the god-awful drug induced dream sequences. The third party kungfu addons were nice tho.. but still not quite up to scratch.

22. Re: Hmm... Dec 27, 2002, 09:21 nin

On a semi-related note, I thought that they already confirmed that the movies would not be out in the same year.

Ray, last I heard it was May 15th and Nov. 7th, both 2003...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

21. Impressions from screenshots Dec 27, 2002, 07:26 Jarek Forhanon

I can't say that I'm impressed with any of the screenshots that I've seen thus far. It seems like they are all taken from the console version of the game, which would explain the low-resolution textures and the aliasing problems. However, I have learned not to judge games based off of very early screenshots. In fact, it would be unwise to judge a finished game off its graphics alone. I have played quite a few games that haven't been up to par with graphical standards. Project Eden, Deus Ex, and a large number of other titles come to mind. These are games that prove that gameplay ultimately prevails over aesthetic appeal. I have the utmost faith that Shiny can develop an entertaining game, as proven by their track record. From Earthworm Jim on the SNES to Sacrifice (which I enjoyed immensely) on the PC, Shiny has always created entertaining games. Are their games the deepest? Nope. Are they epic? Not quite. Do they create huge fan-bases? Not even close. However, thanks to innovative design, I've found most of Shiny's games to be compelling and enjoyable. Yes, I even enjoyed playing through Messiah, despite everyone's intense flaming of it. So please, reserve any bitterness you may hold for games worthy of it, such as Deer Hunter 3 and Ethnic Cleansing.

P.S. If any of my ramblings seem slightly incoherent, I blame it on my barely conscious state.

20. Re: No subject Dec 27, 2002, 06:45 aznblader

"I own both of those, and they hold no candle to other games such as Splinter Cell and Age of Mythology (assuming you're referring to Warcraft 3)."

That may be true, but that doesn't make either of the games I mentioned "turds" does it? In any case Splinter Cell and AoM are hardly niche games, but are in fact best sellers as well.

And did you really think The Matrix was a piece of turd? If so, then please ignore this reply for the waste of time it is.

19. No subject Dec 27, 2002, 05:31 teh mane mahn

"Neither the game nor the movie has been released. So...?"

I was referring to the first movie. I guess I messed up.

"Uhm, and you get this understanding from where exactly?"

The fact that the gaming industry runs on an economy is exactly the source of my understanding.

"And how does appealing to a large audience = "turd"?"

Because, to me, thigns that appeal to the masses are mostly turds.

"What, best sellers such as GTA3 and War3 are "turds"?"

I own both of those, and they hold no candle to other games such as Splinter Cell and Age of Mythology (assuming you're referring to Warcraft 3).

"The Matrix was a great movie."

At least your opinion of it, right?

"By all accounts, the sequels will blow even that away."

That remains to be seen.

I have to leave for my vacation to Hawaii. Don't make the same mistake I used to do and get stressed out over a reply. Just have a good time.

_____

_____

The bartering of things sought earned are by a means which only little men can abide by and hope to achieve.

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo