Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

SimCity 4 Gold

EA sends word that SimCity 4 has gone gold. Here's the entirety of the brief announcement:

Play God, Play Mayor, and Play with Your Sims in the highly anticipated SimCity 4!

SimCity 4 for the PC has gone gold!!! The game is scheduled for release on January 14, 2003.

In SimCity 4, you don't just build your city, you breathe life into it. With god-like powers, sculpt mountains, gouge riverbeds and seed forests to lay the groundwork for your creation. Then, as Mayor, construct the most realistic city you can imagine. Your city comes alive with the hustle and bustle of construction crews, the snarl of traffic and the activity of your Sims. Move your personalized Sims into your city and watch as they go about their daily lives. Build mansions on mountainsides, cross canyons with bridges, raise skyscrapers downtown and compete for resources with neighboring SimCities. With every decision you make, your city and your Sims will respond for better or worse. In SimCity 4, your city pulses with the life you give it.

SimCity 4 for the PC is rated "E" for everyone and has an MSRP of $49.95.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: Gone Gold... Dec 26, 2002, 20:48  Xymph 

Remember when that site "Gone Gold" used to tell us when games were going to go gold, and then release? It's too bad the guy behind it all had to get sick,
"Sick" doesn't describe Rich's situation adequately. Seriously disabled since before he started the site, and recently nearly dying several times from asthma attacks would be closer. But fortunately he survived all that, and is currently in the process of moving house and getting settled in. I trust that once all that is behind him, his daily updates will return.

now they haven't updated in months, makes me sad.
Actually, fortunately Rich has some friends providing regular updates on other topics, but yeah, I do miss the gold/release info very much as well. Let's hope for the best, shall we?

-- Frans
3D Gamers admin, http://www.3dgamers.com/

-- Frans
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Gone Gold... Dec 26, 2002, 15:19 Xard

Remember when that site "Gone Gold" used to tell us when games were going to go gold, and then release? It's too bad the guy behind it all had to get sick, now they haven't updated in months, makes me sad.

41. Re: Del vs. Del Dec 22, 2002, 12:09 pancreas

fredrickson is both literary genius and genuine illiterate.

"Life is not about the second chances. It's about the little mouse, and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is." - Dad

"Nothing livens up a robotic hymn of doom more than an amazing pair of jugs." - Brak

40. Re: Going Gold Dec 22, 2002, 08:54 Ixath

Wtf are you smoking splooge.

39. Re: Going Gold Dec 22, 2002, 07:32 DusterAZ

#38 ... dude ... quit making shit up.

- Dr. Del
http://www.SuperBlog.com
AMD XP 2200+, ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, 512 RAM, 19" ViewSonic LCD flat panel, 120 G WD HDD 8meg cache, WinXP Pro SP1

38. Going Gold Dec 21, 2002, 12:18 Splooge

I think we need to define "going gold/gone gold" several more times. In fact, I'm afraid you're all wrong. To those that REALLY want to know what going gold means, listen up. Some games, in fact most, if not all games, take a very long time to develop and complete. Three years is average I'd say. And the release date of these games is almost always extended, like in the case of Simcity 4. Because these games take so long to create, we say they have "gone old" or are "going old." What happened is there was an infamous typo by an as of yet un discovered culprit that once typed "goin gold," and accidentally putting a space in the wrong place. This was in a post in a huge forum back in 96 or 97, when there were very large forums dedicated just to games, unlike now where there are tons of smaller forums. Ever since that time, as a game nears completion, people have been saying "going gold" instead of "going old," and the term then devolved further into "gone gold," etc.

There is an unfounded rumor that the World Gold Council may have had a hand in this but I can't comment on that.

Splooge

37. Re: Del vs. Del Dec 21, 2002, 06:08 super_emu

Going gold = The Final Master Copy has been burned.. and is ready to be duplicated from this master copy..

the term "Going Gold" originates from the fact that Master Copie CDs are colored "GOLD"....

Merry X-mas folks..

36. Re: Del vs. Del Dec 21, 2002, 03:33 fredrickson

I think the reason some people enjoy the Dell boy and that some people don't is the fact that the Dell boy has meaty nipples. You can always see his nipples holding up his shirt. For some, this is a primordial turn-on, and for others, it evokes a sense of rage.

35. Re: Del vs. Del Dec 20, 2002, 23:14 Bronco

Okay, we are following each other at this point.

What part does the "Dell dude" play in all of this, though???

My 4YO son was so happy to see the 'Dell Dude' go, every time he would see one of his commercials he woulds say:

"Put him in jail!"

No idea why, just didn't like him I guess.

-TPFKAS2S

-TPFKAS2S

34. Re: Del vs. Del Dec 20, 2002, 22:24 Ray Marden

What part does the "Dell dude" play in all of this, though???

Still having had the most fun with the original SimCity,
Ray

------------------------------------------------------
Have you seen my System Shock 3?
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
It's one thing to have Riker and Troi say goodbye, but to kill off Data???

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

33. Del vs. Del Dec 20, 2002, 22:18 Bronco

This reminds me of the Tony!!! vs. Tony!!!!/Tony!! wars.

I wonder if it could be the same person?

-TPFKAS2S

-TPFKAS2S

32. Re: Happy Happy, Joy Joy... Dec 20, 2002, 21:23 Bronco

What's so complicated?

Very funny! Remember just who you are talking to...

The cheap, fraudulent, imitation,...

Oh, you get the idea.

edit - still can't spell after 33 years!

-TPFKAS2S
This comment was edited on Dec 20, 21:25.

-TPFKAS2S

31. Re: Happy Happy, Joy Joy... Dec 20, 2002, 19:51 Quboid

No, it's not a gold CD we buy. It's a gold CD they make and send to the publishers, who then make thousands of copies (on normal silver CDs), put them in boxes and ship them to shops.

What's so complicated?

Cheers,
Quboid

War isn't about who's right, its about who's left.

- Quboid

30. Re: Happy Happy, Joy Joy... Dec 20, 2002, 19:43 fredrickson

does that mean that we buy gold cds now i am very confused why GOLD ???????? what is a cd made out of is it recordable when its gold?

29. Happy Happy, Joy Joy... Dec 20, 2002, 19:01 pancreas

I've played every iteration of this game since the original. It was actually SC2K that started my late-night gaming habit. SC3K got boring quick since I somehow found out the formula to "beat" it even in the hardest setting.

It looks like they've incorporated some new concepts into this. Can't wait to see what this will do to gameplay.

"Life is not about the second chances. It's about the little mouse, and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is." - Dad

"Nothing livens up a robotic hymn of doom more than an amazing pair of jugs." - Brak

28. Re: Gold? Dec 20, 2002, 18:44 Quboid

That's for music, and even that's pretty subjective (I think it's 100,000 here in the UK but I don't really know). For games, it means the final copy is done and is off for reproduction.

Cheers,
Quboid

War isn't about who's right, its about who's left.

- Quboid

27. Re: Gold? Dec 20, 2002, 17:43 Ordovicium

Gold means the game is finished. It goes now to the label factory.

26. Re: Gold? Dec 20, 2002, 17:43 Ordovicium

Gold means the game is finished. It goes now to the label factory.

25. Re: Gold? Dec 20, 2002, 16:21 fredrickson

pardon me but what does going gold mean i thought it meant when it sold 1000000 copies?

24. Re: Gold? Dec 20, 2002, 15:30 DusterAZ

Whateva dude, everyone here knows who the real Dr. Del is ... SO EAT IT !!!!!

- Dr. Del
http://www.SuperBlog.com
AMD XP 2200+, ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, 512 RAM, 19" ViewSonic LCD flat panel, 120 G WD HDD 8meg cache, WinXP Pro SP1
This comment was edited on Dec 20, 15:33.

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo