Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

BlowOut Announced

This press release announces production of BlowOut, an upcoming console and PC 3D action game that promises to take "the side-scrolling shooter genre to a distinctively new level." Here's a bit: "In BlowOut, gamers assume the role of Major John 'Dutch' Cane, a leader of a mercenary commando platoon, fighting against the deadliest enemies the universe has ever seen. A U.S. Marine Space Force headquarters has been overrun by the vicious mutant Xenomorphs, leaving a gap in the operational defenses. Gamers must use specialized sensor equipment and massive firepower to locate and take out the enemy before they have a chance to zero in on the station's control center and threaten colonized space." Update: Turns out this is the same "Doom, Abuse and Starship Troopers combo" announced in April (story).

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. What? Dec 18, 2002, 08:48 CyberNutz

A side scroller?!? I thought these went out long ago, with the advent of the 3D FPS. No Thanks.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: John Travolta rocked this movie Dec 17, 2002, 21:11 WarPig

COOL! A game based on the John Travolta Jamie Lee Curtis movie from the early 80's? I cant wait!

The movie you're thinking about was called Perfect, and it's supposed to be terrible. On the other hand, Blow Out (written and directed by Brian De Palma), did star John Travolta and was a pretty good flick.

-- Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
This comment was edited on Dec 17, 21:12.
Sorry, english is my second language
This comment was edited on Dec 17, 22:08.

GO SEAHAWKS!

11. Not bad Dec 17, 2002, 20:04 O.DOGG

Actually, the screenshots look pretty good. They remind me of Abuse with that crosshair. Also, as proven by Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project, sidescrollers can be a lot of fun if done right on today's systems. I'm actually looking forward to hearing more about the game.

10. hmm... Dec 17, 2002, 17:01 Hyatus

Looks like a 3d version of Abuse.

Not bad at all, mind you...

-Hyatus
"da da da"

9. Re: Wow Dec 17, 2002, 16:59 Dr.Haggard

Major John 'Dutch' Cane

It's almost too tragic to laugh. I sometimes wonder if the designers of these budget games have mandatory lobotomies.

8. Re: Wow Dec 17, 2002, 16:48 RoughKnt

There's still enough scope in this genre to make something very different from DN:MP... And those screenshots make me think they've got a chance, but we'll have to wait and see won't we...

7. Ice-T? Dec 17, 2002, 16:43 the_culture

I remember those shots. That game character looks like Ice-T! Gangsta rapper to "serious actor". What a dope.

Alex
-----------
Spatial Fear
Director/Creative Designer
www.planetunreal.com/spatialfear/

6. John Travolta rocked this movie Dec 17, 2002, 15:02 Grounded

COOL! A game based on the John Travolta Jamie Lee Curtis movie from the early 80's? I cant wait!

5. Re: Wow Dec 17, 2002, 14:55  Xymph 

Seriously, isn't this game old news though? I think I remember hearing something about it ages ago... must have blown it out as chunks, cuz I've forgotten now.
Yup, the game was announced this Spring, today's announcement is actually just the publishing deal.
http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=34213
Although, the bit later on in the press release about the creature designer sounds intriguing... maybe some pictures..
Are available on this very site.
http://www.bluesnews.com/screenshots/games/blowout/20020412/

-- Frans
3D Gamers admin, http://www.3dgamers.com/
This comment was edited on Dec 17, 14:56.

-- Frans

4. Wow Dec 17, 2002, 14:15 LSD

Talk about taking it to a "distinctively new level", I don't think I've ever seen a ripoff of a ripoff of a ripoff of a ripoff before!
Seriously, isn't this game old news though? I think I remember hearing something about it ages ago... must have blown it out as chunks, cuz I've forgotten now.
Although, the bit later on in the press release about the creature designer sounds intriguing... maybe some pictures..

3. lol Dec 17, 2002, 14:02 The Half Elf

only platform side scrolling shooters are good on anymore is the GBA. And after playing the Duke one I can firmly say, been there done that, no thank you I don't want a t-shirt.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

2. Re: Wow! Dec 17, 2002, 13:44 XEON

Aint this just DN Manhattan Project *again* ?

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering - Bruce Lee"

===
B: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

P: I think so, Brain, but where are we going to find a duck and a hose at this hour?

1. Wow! Dec 17, 2002, 13:01 Wowbagger_TIP

That sounds amazingly original!!

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo