Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PlanetSide Preview

There's a PlanetSide Preview on GameSpot with a look at Sony Online Entertainment's upcoming science fiction MMO FPS game. Based on getting to check out a recent build of the game first-hand, the article describes the process of creating a new character, the importance of the game's certification points, skills and abilities, weapons, ammo, being part of a squad, vehicles, returning to the action after being shot, strategies and tactics, and more. Included is a huge batch of new screenshots.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: game Dec 11, 2002, 01:03 MindTrigger

Let me clear this up for you since you don't seem to have the energy to go read it for yourself. November 2003 is the closest thing to a date anyone has mentioned for Stalker.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: game Dec 11, 2002, 00:39 Quaternion

Winter 2003 could mean January, so maybe they're only a month away from releasing it!?

13. Re: game Dec 10, 2002, 21:15 MindTrigger

Yeah, I was searching for Stalker here and all I ever get is that David Stalker dude. lol.

Thanks!

This comment was edited on Dec 10, 21:19.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

12. Re: game Dec 10, 2002, 20:26  Xymph 

I know this isn't the right thread for this discussion, but since Bluesnews doesn't seem to follow the game much, I figured I would mention it.
Not sure why you missed the 27 stories that Blue's News has done on the game since it was unveiled on September 05, 2001, but if you do a exact text search for "Oblivion Lost" (the original title) you should get all of them. That's basically all the news that has surfaced on the game so far, both during and after my term as news editor here.

-- Frans
3D Gamers admin, http://www.3dgamers.com/
This comment was edited on Dec 10, 20:28.

-- Frans

11. Re: game Dec 10, 2002, 19:05 MindTrigger

Stalker is due out Q4 2003. They are breaking new ground in the gameplay and the graphics. If you want to do more drooling, watch the 2 video clips. The fact that the engine looks like that now, a year before release speaks volumes about how much time they intend to put into gameplay. It's not MMO, but will have multiplayer.

From what I have read, there is only one huge map. Not on the scale of Planetside, but huge. Even in single player you will be able to walk any direction you want and experience YOUR OWN GAME. Nonlinear. A big part of the game is exploring the gameworld. You really should take some time to read about the game. The engine is capable of 100,000 polys per frame, which I believe is the number I heard for DOOM3 engine. Difference is, Stalker's engine does this with outdoor maps! Look at the screens and videos. It's insane. Im looking more forward to stalker than I am DOOM3 now.

I know this isn't the right thread for this discussion, but since Bluesnews doesn't seem to follow the game much, I figured I would mention it. The site again is:

www.stalker-game.com

(edited to be more specific on rumored release date)
This comment was edited on Dec 11, 01:04.

--

10. Re: game Dec 10, 2002, 18:38 sweetjimmy

hmmm... subscription based? Blech. It better be damned good in that case. I think i'll just stick with bf42 until I see how this one pans out.

9. Re: game Dec 10, 2002, 18:30 Quboid

This could be great... or bad. I agree with rock climber, this is unlikely to hit a middle ground. Of course I hope it will be great. The preview looks promising (although previews usually do) and hopefully there will be a good community for teamplay. The graphics, as said in this thread before, look really dated. Hope there's a good reason for this!

Rock_Climber, is Stalker MMO? It certainly looks, well, alright ... opps I've drolled on my shirt I can't find a release date for Stalker (or Planetside for that matter). What's the latest rumours saying?

Cheers,
Quboid

War isn't about who's right, its about who's left.

- Quboid

8. Re: game Dec 10, 2002, 16:13 MindTrigger

Most people I have talked to haven't seen this game, but everyone needs too. www.stalker-game.com

--

7. game Dec 10, 2002, 15:57 MindTrigger

You all know this is a subscription game right? You will pay monthly to play this according to the website. The gameworld is huge (planet sized) and persistant. This means no map loads and the game world is online 24/7.

These latest shots remind me of Tribes 1/2. I certainly hope they will allow the sort of graphics we have seen in older screenshots. These suck IMO.

This comment was edited on Dec 10, 15:59.

--

6. I dunno Dec 10, 2002, 14:05 Pete

it sorta looks like Renegade. hopefully it stays relatively cheat free. ill definetly have to try it before i even make a decision as to buy it or not

Doin' it Big

5. Re: Hmmmm Dec 10, 2002, 12:45 DrEvil

I'm gonna take an educated guess in saying that a first person shooter of this scale has alot of shit done client side, and with that obviously comes the dangers of cheats. Since the very nature of a fps lends itself well to cheats, and cheats can provide a much larger advantage than say the ShowEQ cheat for EQ, they are going to have their hands full keeping this game legitimate. I give them a couple months before people sniff enough packets or hack it enough to create some devestating cheats, and from that point on will probably be a losing battle against them. I'd like to see lawsuits, not just threats on those that use cheats in massive multiplayer games. Rather than wasting countless hours trying to stay one step ahead of the cheats, they should take a few to court and bankrupt them.. that should put a pretty strong deterrent into place for any other hackers to either 1) keep their hacks private or 2) dont make them. Either way it would be better for the community of honest players that also pay monthly to play.

4. Re: Hmmmm Dec 10, 2002, 12:10 Hump

Yes, those look somewhat better but there is still a HUGE difference compared to the older shots:

http://gamescreenshots.com/fullpic.asp?category=pc&pic_id=33247&game_id=60&gallery=0&picOrder=0

and

http://gamescreenshots.com/fullpic.asp?category=pc&pic_id=33246&game_id=60&gallery=0&picOrder=0

seems they drastically reduced the textures and lighting. Like I said, maybe a hi-res texture pak will be made available in the future.

First and foremost though, I hope the gameplay lives up to the hype.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

3. Re: Hmmmm Dec 10, 2002, 11:29 Hamma

Those screenshots do not do the game justice. They must have tweaked them for quicker load times. Check out my new screens: http://www.planetside-universe.com/articles.php?articleId=23

2. Re: Hmmmm Dec 10, 2002, 11:27 MindTrigger

This game is either going to kick ass, or suck bad. I don't think there will be a "between". Let's hope they do it right.

--

1. Hmmmm Dec 10, 2002, 10:38 Hump

Graphics seem to have taken quite a hit since the last groups of screens were released. Hopefully they'll make a high resolution texture pack (similar to Asherons Call 2)for downloading for those whose systems can handle the added memory demands.

outside of that the gameplay and XP system seems like a refreshing change of pace for MMOG's. I hope its as good as it sounds.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo