Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

War of the Ring Looms

Black Label Games Signs Liquid Entertainment to Develop 'The Lord of the Rings The War of the Ring' is the press release announcing plans for an upcoming real-time strategy game based on the Lord of the Rings novels to be developed by Liquid Entertainment (Battle Realms). Here's a bit on the game, which is currently projected for release in 2004: "Expanding on the world of Middle-earth and its inhabitants as introduced by J.R.R. Tolkien, the game allows players to engage in the epic story though both a good and an evil single-player campaign. Players also will be able to play on both sides in an extensive multi-player mode." On top of the new announcement is GameSpy.com where they have posted a Q&A with Ed del Castillo about the game, discussing the challenges of working with this property, standing out from the RTS game crowd, the setting, levels of detail, online support, units, comparisons to other games, and more.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: GW LotR tabletop Dec 3, 2002, 08:15 Devster

Well, from what I know of it, the GW LotR game is a bit different from Warhammer - more a combination of 40k and LotR; more flexibility in dispersal of units (and more emphasis on special characters, 'natch), there's more missions of the "get the fellowship through Amon Hen" and so on, than straight "wipe out your opponent" battle stuff. Though I suspect the Two Towers iteration of the game will put more emphasis on the mega battles side of the game...

I have Horned Rat around here somewhere; never got around to installing it... I did like Chaos Gate though, which from what I understand is nothing like SotHR. *shrugs*

Devster

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: oh... Dec 2, 2002, 19:07 GandalfTheWhite

You couldn't really build a BIG army in AOM... The limited number of houses you could build was annoying to say the least Heck, even the number of towers was limited  
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
-Albert Einstein

11. Re: GW LotR tabletop Dec 2, 2002, 16:26 Ryan

If i'm right, the GamesWorkshop Lotr game is basically Warhammer, which means that it would play on a pc similiar to Shadow of the Horned Rat or the 2nd one (forget the name), both fun games.

Basically, I hope it's a 'split' game (that is stategic and tactical parts are done on separate maps/ui etc ala Medieval, War in Middle Earth, Warhammer, etc. rather than the 'typical' RTS hodgepodge of workers, buildings and combat units.

10. GW LotR tabletop Dec 2, 2002, 13:23 Devster

Hmmm, the Games Workshop LotR tabletop game has been well received by the people I know who've tried it, and it allows larger battles (though I don't know anyone personally who's tried something on a WFB scale, with multiple units number in the 40's apiece)...

If you could scale it all up to monstrous units (Helm's Deep, for example), it should be pretty decent. Though there's a risk it would be perceived as just another fantasy based game - kinda hard to get across the tolkien originality at this point...

Devster

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

9. There IS a Middle-Earth MMORPG coming Dec 2, 2002, 13:13 Sadogoat

@8: Sierra have been planning a "Middle-Earth Online" MMORPG for some time now. I imagine it'll be properly announced sometime next year.

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 13:13.

8. How about... Dec 2, 2002, 12:59 fujiJuice

What they need to do is make a Lord of The Rings MMORPG then I'll be interested.

7. Re: oh... Dec 2, 2002, 12:25 Dr.Del

yeah any game that allows you to handle >300 units rocks... that is what I didnt like about WC3 that caused me to shelve it early...

...AOE/AOM on the other hand

- Dr. Del
http://www.SuperBlog.com
AMD XP 2200+, ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, 512 RAM, 19" ViewSonic LCD flat panel, 120 G WD HDD 8meg cache, WinXP Pro SP1

- DrDel

6. Re: oh... Dec 2, 2002, 12:12 ReDeeMeR

They've promise high detail of each unit etc, looks like awesome game so far, lets see if they will manage to do it that way.

PS: I also hope this wont be another 10unit army game, bring them 99999 unit armies damnit!

5. Re: oh... Dec 2, 2002, 12:09 Pete

that game doesnt look that bad even after all this time has passed

Doin' it Big

4. Re: oh... Dec 2, 2002, 12:09 Dr.Del

yeah I remember War in Middle Earth from my Commodore days.

great game indeed.. somehow though, I think the "magic" in video games from yesteryear don't seem to translate to success in today's market.

Speaking of Medieval Total War, I just got it today... I am installing it now.. I love RTS's which is why I think this Tolkien RTS will r0xx0r.

- Dr. Del
AMD XP 2200+, ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, 512 RAM, 19" ViewSonic LCD flat panel, 120 G WD HDD 8meg cache, WinXP Pro SP1

- DrDel

3. Re: oh... Dec 2, 2002, 12:02 Ryan

They so need to find this guy (http://www.lysator.liu.se/tolkien-games/entry/wime.html), War in Middle earth was the best Tolkien game ever made. A modern version of this (basically RTS with mini-games for the Ring Party) would be fantastic.

I do wish it was Creative Assembly (Medieval Total war people) doing this, though. I hope it's just not another hacked together AOE clone..

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 12:06.

2. Re: oh... Dec 2, 2002, 11:44 Chewtobacco

mm seems like an incredibly insipid idea to me..ranks up there with the bible version of Mortal Kombat...can you say "John the Baptist decapitation fatality?"

1. oh... Dec 2, 2002, 10:10 Dr.Del

...sweet!

Humans vs Hobbits vs Goblins RTS with the Tolkien copyrights.. this has potenital...

edit: seeing that Liquid has only made 1 game in the past... how the HELL did they sign on for this contract? lucky bums I would say.... hope they do it justice.

- Dr. Del
This comment was edited on Dec 2, 10:13.

- DrDel

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo