Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Enemy Territory Preview

The Return to Castle Wolfenstein Enemy Territory Preview on PC.IGN.Com is based on getting to break bread, beer, and bratwurst at an event to show off the upcoming RtCW follow-up. They describe the game's story and setting, impressions of the first showing of the pre-alpha single-player campaign, AI, the interface, resources, commanding your troops, and give first-hand impressions of multiplayer play, including class rebalancing, the advancement system, new maps, radio communications, and more.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2002, 00:32 pancreas

I would hardly call it's graphics old-fashioned either.

Sure RTCW may not have the psychedelic colors of UT or NOLF, but they get the atmosphere spot on. The colors are subtle, teasing and only blaze as necessary (such as the Blood Red against Black Nazi insignias.) Compared to RTCW, MOHAA's graphics for example are stylized like comic-book drawings.

"Life is not about the second chances. It's about the little mouse, and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is." - Dad

"Nothing livens up a robotic hymn of doom more than an amazing pair of jugs." - Brak
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: No subject Nov 25, 2002, 22:25 Metacritic

EvilGoof,

What do you mean by RtCW having old-fashioned gameplay? Is it old-fashioned because it does not involve vehicles (although the tanks in the expansion could qualify here in a limited way)? Or, is it old-fashioned because its class system and weapons choice are superbly balanced (i.e., "unrealistic")? Could you elaborate on this?

23. Re: A Review? Nov 24, 2002, 14:33 Chance

xphil, AI has improved a bit since Daikatana. I hope.

22. A Review? Nov 24, 2002, 08:53 xphil

Can't people tell a review from a preview?

IGN reviews suck, totally agreed. Full of cheap shit. Anyways based on that ET preview I'm kinda worried about singleplay aspect - AI teammates?

Flashback of Superfly/Mikiko(I beat the game nevertheless).

21. No subject Nov 24, 2002, 08:15 teh mane mahn

Yeah, those were good animations. But the rest weren't that good (especially they way a lotf of people hold their guns).

-----

"?waht do,es atheits want to happen that is don becaughs is athesim or
is it just for fun!

the ben open of jesus yous have to want to get away from it if it,t
all round yous. what about when yous is pissed is the opart of you
gone away so yous are always like that yous are just pissed thats why
bf leads to immorality and basin.

whjen yous are pissed yous have the CQ of One Casio Watch and
atheiststs have the CQ of"

_____

The possible pain, suffering and sacrifice of discovery are by no means an excuse to remain ignorant.

The bartering of things sought earned are by a means which only little men can abide by and hope to achieve.

20. Re: No subject Nov 24, 2002, 07:33 EvilGoof

I was talking about the running and walking animations mostly "teh mane mahn". I don't liake any death animations because I am a ragdoll physics fan. The best animations in a game would be CS's running/walking, BF1942's prone, Urban Terror's ladder climb, and UT2003's Karma ragdoll deaths. I don't have an engine preference but look for gameplay. UT2003 has a great engine and Karma but yet the game stinks. I wish Epic would go back and add Karma ragdoll to the origonal UT since the new UT2003 game stinks.

I don't like RTCW after trying the demo even though it has better animations then other Quake 3 based games. BF1942 is the best game out right now even with all the bugs. No other WW2 game has a chance unless they get vehicles and large levels. I can't go back to the small indoor junk until maybe DOOM 3. Good luck RTCW with your old fasioned gameplay and graphics. BF1942, UT1, and DOOM 3 will be the only games on my drive in 2003 (maybe Unreal 2)

19. No subject Nov 24, 2002, 05:44 teh mane mahn

"But I don't agree with you about RTCW having the best animations because Counter-Strike still holds that title for me."

Death animations equalling the fall of a sack of potatos is not quality animation.

And this review is from goddamn IGN. It's horrible by default.

-----

"But perhaps I will see the light someday..."

"...it will not be a light for Atheists or Christians..."

"...it will be a chest-bursting, silence-deafening, bright light that will surge through the air at speeds not destined for travel..."

"...and it will be in a blaze of glory not only for man but for everything that had to endure the long suffering of life."

_____

The possible pain, suffering and sacrifice of discovery are by no means an excuse to remain ignorant.

The bartering of things sought earned are by a means which only little men can abide by and hope to achieve.

18. Re: No subject Nov 24, 2002, 02:24 Chance

Could be worse Stolk. We could have gotten off on a religious thing... then the thread would be 100+ posts and have no relation to games at all

17. Re: No subject Nov 24, 2002, 02:13 Stolk

Isn't this about Wolfenstein...?

16. No subject Nov 23, 2002, 23:25 M][ke

ur right about the engine, sorry guys. its called the Refractor 2 engine. anyway, i think i see a trend with ppl overextending the life of their engines, like valve. i just want something instead of the same old Q3.

im am not against the Q3 engine, i loved the MOH:AA, i just want something NEW.

-M][ke
LEMMIWINKS! NOOO!!! -Butters
This comment was edited on Nov 23, 23:27.

-M][ke
"They call them fingers but I never see them fing.... oh, there they go."
Otto, The Simpsons.

15. Re: No subject Nov 23, 2002, 21:19 Chance

IIRC BF 1942 does not use the Unreal engine, DICE did their own. The UT2k3 build of the Unreal engine (can't remember the exact build number...) is pretty recent (witness the continual delays in releasing the UT2k3 demo). I have UT2k3 by the way, and like it, but a lot of really good games have been built on the Quake III engine, and more will be. It will be a bit, given developmenmt time, before you see a lot of games coming out using the current build of the Unreal engine.

Innovation IMO often has less to do with the engine used than with other factors. Sometimes it *is* the technical limitations of the engine that prevent innovation, more typically it's the limitations of the designers imagination and the buying public's taste.

*edit* Yeah Bronco, it does have that feel to it... I like and play games built with both engines, but I know a lot of people who are staunchly partisan about it. I find it funny, but it seems if you have any two competing or similar products people WILL take sides. Coffee vs. Tea, Ford vs. GM, AFC vs. NFC... and now Quake vs. Unreal. Scarry. And funny...

*edit #2* Damn! I forgot the big three geek "versus" arguements... Windows vs. Mac, Intel vs. AMD and Nvidia vs. ATI (or, if you're an old geezer like me -- 3dfx).

This comment was edited on Nov 23, 21:29.

14. Re: No subject Nov 23, 2002, 21:17 Bronco

You have an engine preference?

Remember the Pepsi vs. Coke taste tests?

Announcer: This self avowed Coke drinker is going to perform a blind taste test to prove that Coke tastes better than Pepsi.

Dumb tester: This is it (proudly pointing to card A), I know its my Coke! It just tastes better.

Card is flipped, WOW! It's a Pepsi.

I see an advertising opportunity here Chance.

-TPFKAS2S

-TPFKAS2S

13. No subject Nov 23, 2002, 21:09 M][ke

yes, i do prefer ut2003 engine, haven't played the actual game though. i play BF 1942 which uses the unreal engine. we need some more innovation.

-M][ke

-M][ke
Otto, The Simpsons.

12. Re: No subject Nov 23, 2002, 20:27 Ant

Q3A engine is still superior today. Yes, UT2003 has better graphics, but I prefer Q3A. I didn't like UT2003's gameplay though. Maybe modifications will change that.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

11. Re: No subject Nov 23, 2002, 19:49 Chance

M][ke: "another Q3 game, sigh."

You have an engine preference?

10. Re: No subject Nov 23, 2002, 19:07 GandalfTheWhite

You sound like someone who didn't see that coming...  
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
-Albert Einstein

9. No subject Nov 23, 2002, 19:00 M][ke

another Q3 game, sigh.

-M][ke

-M][ke
Otto, The Simpsons.

8. Backbrace or stick up ass Nov 23, 2002, 18:13 StinkyFiddlewinks

Either way it's as fake as compassionate conservatism, or fiscal responsibility, or the adults are in charge.

etc etc

7. Re: nice Nov 23, 2002, 18:04 EvilGoof

Your right seenitall about those stupid animations in SOF2. They make me so sick that I cannot play that game anymore. I feel like puking when I see that terrible back brace crap. Urban Terror suffers from this terrible down syndrome animation problem as well.

But I don't agree with you about RTCW having the best animations because Counter-Strike still holds that title for me. With all the time a person spends in spectator mode, it is good that the running and walking animations look good and I believe it is also one of the reasons why the game is still popular. Holding the weapon at the waste just looks cooler then the "realistic" eye level look of the SOF2 garbage. Having no foot sliding over the ground effects the quality of animations as well so I hope developers put more effort in to them in the future and also include ladder climbing animations as well.

Some of BF1942 animations look kinda cool like diving into prone position. After playing BF1942 with all the vehicles and big maps , it is hard to enjoy any other WW2 shooter but I will give this RTCW a try and see.

6. Re: nice Nov 23, 2002, 18:04 Stolk

Ok. That too.

But it sounds like MUCH more than a mod... and yes, less than an all out sequel.

This comment was edited on Nov 23, 18:05.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo