Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Raven Shield MP Demo

The promised Raven Shield multiplayer demo is now available, providing the opportunity to check out the upcoming Tom Clancy game in action. The demo offers a pair of maps for Survival and Team Survival modes, and a Ubi.Com account is required to play over the Internet. The 155 MB file was originally posted on several sites, but apparently due to GameSpy Industries exclusivity, has been removed from sites other than FilePlanet (registration required). An update on 3D Gamers has details on this along with a copy of the cease and desist order they received from Ubi Soft over violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. In a related note, Recording the Raven Shield on PC.IGN.Com is a preview of what to expect from the full version of the game, focusing specifically on multiplayer action, describing gameplay, and what has changed from previous Tom Clancy games.

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

55. Re: 56k ouchies. Nov 20, 2002, 21:17 Tim1_2

It sucks that you're stuck on 56k dude. I was there a matter of months ago. The Raven Shield net code isn't tuned as finely as Half-Life's or even UT2003's, so that's where you're getting problems. Even on high-speed, it lags a little every once in a while. Stick to playing Half-Life engine games or UT2003 until they fix the net performance for Raven Shield. Games are starting to cater more and more to those of us lucky enough to have broadband, so you better start considering how to afford it, or stick with those games that give you good performance over 56k.

Currently playing: DayZ
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

54. Re: 56k ouchies. Nov 20, 2002, 19:54 Yifes

Great game...
each round's on a 3 minute timer so no more waiting forever when only 2 guys are left on the map...
I usually have no paitience for these types of games but this one is an exception

53. 56k ouchies. Nov 20, 2002, 19:00 Nexus

I haven't been able to get onto a single internet server on 56k - Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but given that America's Army and UT2003 run reasonably if not smoothly, this miffs me a little. Sure, if I were a worthwhile member of humanity, I'd be on broadband, but for games to pretty much require it already is a bit of a shock to the system.

52. Re: YAY!!! Nov 20, 2002, 04:12 bluez

You can see all the mirrors and may find some of the answers to your problems at http://www.theplatoon.com/ravenshield

This comment was edited on Nov 20, 04:17.

51. Re: UBI & Gamespy keep demo from 3D Gamers! Nov 16, 2002, 05:43 indiv

And like a beaten dog, thus you return to the master.

So they should be spiteful just for the sake of being spiteful, when it'd benefit nobody? Ok...

50. Re: UBI & Gamespy keep demo from 3D Gamers! Nov 15, 2002, 20:15 anon@216.23

And like a beaten dog, thus you return to the master.

It's fairly obvious what drives Ubi. Don't let the same thing drive you.

49. Re: UBI & Gamespy keep demo from 3D Gamers! Nov 15, 2002, 19:33  Xymph 

Ubi Soft has turned around and given 3D Gamers and other US sites permission as yet to host the demo, so download away.

http://www.3dgamers.com/news/more/1037405299/

-- Frans
3D Gamers admin, http://www.3dgamers.com/

-- Frans

48. Uncheck ... Nov 15, 2002, 15:58 Brick

No guys, dedicated server is checked by default so you have to uncheck it under the set up options if you want to host and play or just wander about the maps. If have not seen anything regarding dedicated server and have not unchecked that box than you are defaulted to a dedicated set up.

47. Re: Can't play... #45 and #44 Nov 15, 2002, 15:54 Tim1_2

You guys both have "dedicated server" checked. I forget exactly where the box is to uncheck it, but it's on one of a couple pages you look at when you start up a server. It IS possible to start up a LAN server and dick around by yourself.

Currently playing: DayZ

46. UBI & Gamespy keep demo from 3D Gamers! Nov 15, 2002, 13:32 Drazula

This is an official cease and desist notice. You are in direct violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

The demo file for Ubi Soft(r) Entertainment's Raven Shield is owned exclusively by Ubi Soft(r) Entertainment, and by distributing the demo file to the public you are jeopardizing an exclusive agreement between Ubi Soft(r) Entertainment and GameSpy Industries.

Ubi Soft(r) Entertainment orders you to immediately remove the file from your site, 3dGamers, as you are in violation of statutory digital copyright laws and liable for fines of up to $100,000, in addition to financial ramifications stemming from breach of contract commitments between Ubi Soft(r) Entertainment and GameSpy Industries.

This file will be exclusive to Ubi Soft(r) Entertainment and GameSpy Industries through November 21st, when you may again post the Raven Shield Demo.

I thought the point of demos was to get them into the hands of as many potential customers as possible so that they could evaluate the game? Isn't this deal counter-productive? I am not saying they can't do it. I am saying it is VERY stupid.

3D Gamers is threatening to never carry Ubi games anymore. I applaud their effort and will support them by not buying Raven Shield.

45. Re: Can't play... Nov 15, 2002, 13:09 PHeeNIxx

EXACT same thing happens to me. I'm pretty sure I didn't have "dedicated server" selected. At the very least I want to see what this game looks like!

44. Can't play... Nov 15, 2002, 12:44 Fleer

I have a major problem with this demo. I go to host a game, and click launch. When I click launch, the game flickers and goes back to windows, and a DOS box pops up, running some commands for the game. The commands go through, and just stop, and does nothing. Any clues?

43. Re: YAY!!! Nov 15, 2002, 12:10 nimski

I'll try thta tonight. All of yesterdays attempts were "long" throws.

42. Re: YAY!!! Nov 15, 2002, 11:34 Razorman

Lol' left mouse long throw (hold down = far), r/mouse under arm throw.

Come to bed Milly Sue, Daddys ready in his big ole trailer

41. Re: YAY!!! Nov 15, 2002, 09:04 nimski

This demo is GREAT!

It has the same balance as the other R6 games.

My only miff is that the grenades need to roll a bit further. I can't even get a grenade to clear a 20' hallway.

40. Re: YAY!!! Nov 15, 2002, 07:29 Razorman

U are joking of course when you say its a "run & gun", omfg wtf this is "Stealthtastic" try & find some decent servers with players who know what the're doin & see the "run & gun" c/sh it mob get ripped to shreds.

i always list my servers as "UKDSL"...bring it on.

Come to bed Milly Sue, Daddys ready in his big ole trailer

39. Re: YAY!!! Nov 15, 2002, 05:59 Peardog

This is a BIT TOO much like Counter Strike..and not enuf like the old R6 games. I was hoping for something closer to Swat 3 then a prettier counterstrike game. So far it's nothing but run and gun, but that might change with COOP levels...PLEASE!
I also wanted the Iron Sites.. Oh Well...

38. Re: LAN servers? Nov 15, 2002, 05:03 BrunoPuntzJones

36, on the server options uncheck dedicated server, then you can do it.

37. PowerReg Scheduler.exe? Nov 15, 2002, 02:52 Ant

Is it me or did this demo add this program to my Windows Startup folder?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

36. LAN servers? Nov 15, 2002, 01:32 ZetaMaiL

Is it not possible to make a LAN server and just run around by yourself and try out all the weapons? whenever I try to do this a dos prompt comes up and runs what I think is a dedicated server program thing...It's a pain to have to find an online game and deal with the lag and full servers just to see what the game is like.

[edit] errr...nevermind, I'm stupid, The dedicated sever button is on by default, turned it off...

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 01:37.

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo