Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On The DOOM III Leak

A post by id Software's John Carmack to a thread called Doom 3 Alpha Leaked on Slashdot has confirmation of the fact that an early build of DOOM III has been leaked. Here's the post, which vaguely hints at the source of the release:

No, this was not leaked on purpose.

Yes, we are upset about it, and it will have some impact on how we deal with some companies in the future, but nothing drastic is going to change in terms of what support is going to be available.

Making any judgements from a snapshot intended for a non-interactive demo is ill advised.

John Carmack

View
166 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

166. Re: PsycSui (homo) Dec 30, 2002, 10:09 Learning

Wow!Some people in here sure do call names.I just wonder how much they would talk in person.Not much I bet.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern weather or not they are genuine"-Abraham Lincoln
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

165. Re: PsycSui (homo) Nov 14, 2002, 17:00 PsycSui

Re: 155

What are you talking about?

The words 'INTENDED FOR A NON-INTERACTIVE DEMO' mean that they made the build to SHOW people, they didn't make it so people could play with it. The fact that you can run and play the game with that build does not change their intentions, and that is what John is talking about. He's talking about id's intentions, not what can actually be done with the build.

So pull you head out of your ass and read the whole sentence, not just the part that you want to read. Jackass.

164. N00bs Complain...Devs Love It... Nov 13, 2002, 00:27 Cochise

I couldn't help but add my two cents after seeing SO MANY posts on this. Truly amazing. All the Alpha did was make me want the game even more! It's going to be AWESOME! I don't think most people understand what Alpha's truly are though. Too bad.

If you know something about editing .cfg files and/or hexadecimal, you can make this Alpha look and run just about anyway you want to which is a very good thing. With EVERYTHING enabled and cranked up all the way, I was able to get a respectable 36 fps at 1024X768 on the TIMEDEMO1. Tweaked a little got me to 46 fps. Everything turned off and I got 58 fps. IT RUNS GREAT! and it's only an Alpha...if you're complaining, you need to learn a little more about software dev and hardware.

This game is far ahead of any current systems capability to run above 60hz with all settings cranked to the max and that is a good thing. It means the engine will be the standard for a longer time and even cooler stuff will be developed on it. Which is exactly what happened with the Q3 engine. When Q3 first came out, there wasnt a system available that could run it maxed out at 1024x768 and higher and get 60 fps.

By the Q1'03 or the middle of 2003, the g4ti4600 and the ati9700pro will be has-beens and the nextgen will make'm seem like geforce256's and god knows what all will be added and developed for the game and maybe all those folks with thunderbirds, celery's and P3 boat anchors will be upgraded by then. By then, if you dont have a P4 or newer AMD XP and at least a G3/9700 card, you're gonna miss out on a lot of cool stuff in the game...but it will play.

sys
gforce ti 4600
amd xp2100
512mb ddr 2700 ram
mobo RAM memory clock at 333mhz

163. Dammit, getting errors Nov 12, 2002, 18:59 Nuada

Aye, it was the drivers...

162. Dammit, getting errors Nov 12, 2002, 17:26 Nuada

Argh I'm getting errors starting it up after getting it off Kazaa over dialup! The window on loading gives me this log...
Initializing OpenGL driver
...getting DC: succeeded
...PIXELFORMAT 7 selected
...creating GL context: succeeded
...making context current: succeeded
X..WGL_EXT_swap_control not found
X..GL_ARB_multitexture not found
X..GL_ARB_texture_env_combine not found
X..GL_ARB_texture_cube_map not found
X..GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 not found
X..GL_ARB_texture_env_add not found
X..GL_ARB_texture_compression not found
X..GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic not found
X..GL_EXT_shared_texture_palette not found
X..GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp not found
X..GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp not found
X..GL_EXT_texture3D not found
X..GL_NV_register_combiners not found
X..GL_NV_vertex_array_range not found
X..GL_NV_fence not found
X..GL_NV_vertex_program1_1 not found
Couldn't find proc address for: glActiveStencilFaceNV
Couldn't find proc address for: glStencilOpSeparateATI
Couldn't find proc address for: glStencilFuncSeparateATI
X..GL_ATI_separate_stencil not found
X..GL_ATI_fragment_shader not found
X..GL_EXT_vertex_shader not found
X..GL_ATI_vertex_array_object not found
X..GL_GL2_geometry_shader not found
---------- R_NV20_Init ----------
Not available.
---------- R_NV30_Init ----------
Not available.
----- R200_Init -----
Not available.
----- GL2_Init -----
Not available.
WARNING: vertex array range in virtual memory (SLOW)
idVertexCache: allocated 96468992 megs of virtual memory
regenerating _default.
regenerating _white.
regenerating _black.
regenerating _flat.
regenerating _ambient.
regenerating _ramp.
regenerating _alphaRamp.
regenerating _alphaNotch.
regenerating _threshold.
regenerating _fog.
regenerating _fogEnter.
regenerating _normalCubeMap.
regenerating _noFalloff.
regenerating _quadratic.
regenerating _scratch.
regenerating _scratchCubeMap.
idPacketServer::Kill: server thread not active
ERROR: GL_SelectTexture: unit = 1
Error during initialization

So I'm figuring I need to update the drivers but it's going take me over an hour to DL those. In the mean time can anyone think of anything else that might be the problem? I had a few errors extracting the archive...
Doom_III\base\sound\ambient\metals\1shot_metalhit_02.wav
Doom_III\base\models\wipes\hst_mars.tga
Doom_III\base\models\weapons\shotgun\shotgun_s.tga
Doom_III\base\models\mapobjects\doors\techdoor2\techdr2frame_d.tga

shouldn't really matter though should they?

161. thanks vajbern Nov 12, 2002, 10:42 FrantiK

thanks for the walkthrough man, but I found a textfile on eMule containing the same name as the download, which gave me exact explanation.
but thanks again

160. Re: Dont bother with it, it sucks Nov 11, 2002, 09:48 TheDoctor

159. Re: Dooooooom III Nov 11, 2002, 07:08 mozza

Hey Muppet..... yes you Halcyon-wet-dream...Didn't you read the post or are you to dumb to sence the sarcasm that I was putting across.....yes we know(except the obvious dorks) what Alpha Build is. However,In the past some developers have released Builds, and example was Croteam, this was to enable the Developers to gather feedback (such as Driver compatability) from users so they could improve the final release. Oh btw and Sega Dreamcast.

158. Re: Dooooooom III Nov 11, 2002, 04:12 Halcyon_Dream

Will you people let up? It's an alpha build, meaning the end product could be *very* different from what you see now, in the ALPHA build. This is why game designers *don't* release builds of their games before they're nearly or totally finished, because they know that there are goons like you people that have to tear everything apart in between flapping your jacks to pretty screenshots of upcoming FPSs... no, it's not a demo. So shut up already.

Stop trying to get it to work, stop downloading it, and stop playing it, because you'll only cheapen the gaming experience when the game is finished. Tards.

Sonic the Hedgehog was on the Sega Genesis, not the Nintendo, and lay off the caps, freako.

~Halcyondream~

157. Dooooooom III Nov 11, 2002, 03:53 mozza

2 COMMENTS:

1: I AM REFERING TO ALL THE RETARDS WHO HAVE PREVIOUSLY POSTED DEMENTED COMMENTS REGARDING THE LACK OF QUALITY WITHIN THE ALPHA LEAK....YOU FREEKS!!!! DO YOU NOT REALISE WHAT ALPHA ACTUALLY MEANS!!!! FFS.... GO AWAY AND LEARN SOMETHING ABOUT SOFTWARE RELEASES , WETHER LEAKED OR OFFICIAL AND THEN COME BACK AND POST SOMETHING WORTH READING.

2: AND HOW THE HECK CAN YOU ALL BE GAMERS. A DEMO IS A SOFTWARE TEST, TEST MEANING THAT THERE WILL BE BUGS, BUGS MEANING THERE WILL BE SOME CONFLICTS WITHIN THE SOFTWARE IT SELF, OR WITHIN THE HARDWARE YOU ARE RUNNING. SO WHY THE HELL YOU HAVE THE CHEEK TO SLATE I.D. SOFTWARE AND JOHN CARMAK AND HIS TEAM OF DEVELOPERS, WHEN YOU HAVE THE NUBSKULL BRAIN POWER TO NOT ACTUALLY REALISE THAT THIS ADVANCED SOFTWARE (EVEN ALPHA DEMO) WILL NOT RUN AND I REPEAT, WILL NOT!!!! RUN PROPERLY ON A SYSTEM THAT IS NOT TO THE REQUIRED LEVEL TO RUN IT SMOOTHLY.....SO ALL (THE RETARDS)OF YOU GO TO THE ATTIC AND DUST OFF YOUR OLD NINTENDO AND GO BACK TO PLAYING SONIC THE HEDGEHOG UNTIL YOU'VE GROWN SOME MORE BRAIN CELLS.

156. Doom 3 Leak Nov 11, 2002, 03:31 Informant

For all those who are judging the alpha leak (by ATi). CUT IT OUT. Look at the build, 0.02! It is by no means a demo.

DAMN I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW STUPID SOME OF YOU ARE, THINKING THAT IT IS A REAL DEMO. GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT BEFORE JUDGING WHAT WILL EVENTUALLY BE A MILESTONE IN THE GAMING INDUSTRY.

155. Re: PsycSui (homo) Nov 11, 2002, 01:44 some random asshole

Once again, I am now dumber for reading a 14 year olds’ reply. You sir are one sick bastard who obviously knows nothing about game engine design or would ever be willing to. You sir are a moron. Go wait for the release and wet your pants. I’ve already experienced pretty much what the basis of the game is. I will correct you as well. The demo that was leaked IS interactive and it does not matter if it was intended to or not. Go back to AOL or go jerk off to Carmack’s accomplishments that you will never come close to achieving.

154. Re: #152 Nov 11, 2002, 01:28 vajbern

Thank You!!

153. E3 Intro Nov 11, 2002, 00:00 Bobbo

To get the intro to work you don't have to wait forever for the 'exec runact.cfg' to finish. Don't even mess with it. Just type 'map e3/intro' and that should work (minus the quotation marks).

152. The Doom III alpha is great... Nov 10, 2002, 23:54 Bobbo

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 11, 09:42.

151. Flame-bait Nov 10, 2002, 23:43 All4naught

Thanks Satyric0n for pointing that out...I seriously couldn't believe that anyone bit on those obvious jokes. I don't think I could even imagine anything more blatant! Oh well, it was funny anyway-

All4naught

150. Re: the doom.exe dosent work Nov 10, 2002, 22:54 vajbern

I've gathered this over the last few days:

1. Create a shortcut to "Doom3.exe" on your desktop.
2. Right-click on the shortcut, click on "Properties".
3. Go to "Shortcut"
4. Add +r_mode 3 +r_fullscreen 1 +r_shadows 0 on the "Target" line.

"+r_mode 3" makes the res 640x480, "+r_mode 4" 800x600 and "+r_mode 5" 1024x768.
"+r_fullscreen 1" is self-explanatory.
"+r_shadows 0" lightens the darkest shadows, makes everything look better and speeds up the game.

I had to modify my "DoomConfig.cfg". The "s" and "d" keys were bound to "_moveright" and "_back" respectively. I think most people have these reversed.

Starting a game from the menu crashes the game. Instead use the console"~" key.

To start a game:

In the console type: map e3/e3_1. This starts you in the first level.
The game does not automatically put you in the second level upon completion of the first. You have to load the second level manually in the console: map e3/e3_2...
And then the third: map e3/e3_3.

To run the E3 presentation:

At the console type:
{exec runact.cfg or timedemo activate_demo1.demo.

I can't get the full E3 presentation to run. After the first level finishes I'm put back in the console. I thought it might be because I only have a half gig of RAM, and the game requires 400-500 mb.
If anyone can help me I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

VaJBern

149. Re: one lost doom 3 sale Nov 10, 2002, 22:20 Satyric0n

#128, #131, #139, and #143:

Are you people really that gullible? If so, I'll let you in on a little secret -- post #126 is an example of what is generally known as "flame-bait", also called "sarcastic" or even "facetious" in some circles. The purpose of a post like that is to draw out the arrogant, know-it-all retards such as yourselves, so you give some knee-jerk reaction that the rest of us can laugh at. Good job, guys; congratulations on making total fools of yourselves.

And rock climber, I seriously doubt that anyone is so stupid as to make a real judgement of the game based on this alpha. So it strikes me as funny that you are wasting so much time posting your little diatribes here.

This is exactly the kind of moron I was referring to in my post.

No sir, you are the moron.

This comment was edited on Nov 10, 22:25.

148. the doom.exe dosent work Nov 10, 2002, 20:37 FrantiK

the doom.exe makes me go to a windowed mode of doom3, and the menu lets me only click on "single player" and "quit". Once i click on singleplayer, new game, it crashed on a dll error. whats wrong? the file I downloaded was 364 mb, and I have all sounds and files....

can someone help me?

147. No subject Nov 10, 2002, 19:53 Two_Sheds

#136: Actually, both "judgement" and "judgment" are considered to be correct.

166 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo