Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Boo! sorry, if I scared you... anyway happy Halloween!

In spite of having the proverbial fool for a lawyer, I managed to pretty much slide on my speeding ticket yesterday. In fact, I slid so well that it can no longer even be described as a speeding ticket, as, in exchange for my guilty plea, the charge was reduced to driving with a broken speedometer. As has been my previous experience, the N.Y.S. Trooper involved was very courteous, albeit still quite intimidating. The most interesting part was just how small a town court this was in, though the court was quite elaborate compared with the town offices, which are literally the tiny back portion of a strip mall pizzeria/travel agency. Opie? Aunt Bea?

Links of the Day: Levitating Hover Scooter at Hammacher Schlemmer. Thanks Eric.
The case of the 40,000 coat hangers part one and part two. Thanks amygdala.
Stories of the Day: Rhode Island Jack-O-Lantern Spectacular. Thanks Dax.
Canada issues U.S. travel warning. Thanks Jeremiah J. Parranto.
Wild Science: Scientists brew new antimatter batch. Thanks Mike Martinez.
Antimatter Power: Reaching for Deep Space. On a related note. Thanks [MP] Wolverine [MP].
Image of the Day: FoxTrot. Thanks WarPig[doh].
Follow-up: Cosmonauts blast off, without Lance Bass. Thanks Mike Martinez.
Auction of the Day: RARE!--MR. T CHIA PET A-TEAM MINT IN BOX. Thanks sock.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Way to go Blue. Oct 31, 2002, 22:08 Bill Hicks

Proverbial fool? Were you not the one driving? Lawyers are asses when they DON'T get you off... but....sure this will return to bite you on the ass. Talk about tempting fate....

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Way to go Blue. Oct 31, 2002, 20:59 Sneak

2 years ago I was in rural North Carolina driving a rental car a few hours to the Raleigh airport at about 7:00 a.m. I'm from Texas where the speed limit is 70 throughout most of the state, and rarely look at my speedometer - I just kind know how fast I'm going. Try to keep it around 75 or so. Well I was just kinda zoning out when I got nailed by a constable from Greensboro, going 79... Gave me a ticket and said I had to appear in court in 3 weeks, since I was going >20 MPH over the posted limit of 55. Well I was going to be back home in Texas, etc., so I looked into getting an attorney to represent me. Long story short - he told me on the phone that he would plead "improper equipment" for me and that he was 100% sure I'd get off without the moving violation. Improper equipment being of course the tounge-in-cheek "broken speedometer" ploy. Well, $350 in court and attorney fees later, I got out of the ticket. Hurt the pocketbook but I was really glad to have gotten out of it, especially without having to fly back to NC to appear in court. It seemed pretty shady (still does) and I was worried it wouldn't work, but the attorney made it sound like he does this every day. Sounds like it's pretty common overall.

Glad you got off Blue. Drive slower ;-P

Sneak

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 21:01.

17. R.I.P. Oct 31, 2002, 20:33 spyder11

Jam Master Jay slain in New York

http://www.msnbc.com/news/828562.asp?vts=103120021713

16. Re: Halloween Oct 31, 2002, 19:00 Pete

Hey, where's the Halloween logo?
Here: http://www.bluesnews.com/logos/archives/index-old.shtml

For the old site that is, |2| never made one for the new/current layout.

Looking back, there are a LOT of logos. My favorites are the ones where blues head is made to resemble a game, with actual game characters in the back.

Doin' it Big

15. Rats! Oct 31, 2002, 17:25 banddirector

I weigh 230 - - now I can't spend my $14,995 on the hover-scooter thingie. I guess I'll have to spend it elsewhere ...

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

14. Re: Call me gullible... Oct 31, 2002, 15:46 amygdala

The case of the 40,000 coat hangers does sound too funny to be true, I think. I sent the link in because it was amusing, not because it was accurate.

I looked for a followup to day two, which was published on October 16, but found none.

13. Re: Halloween Oct 31, 2002, 14:47  Xymph 

Here: http://www.bluesnews.com/logos/archives/index-old.shtml

For the old site that is, |2| never made one for the new/current layout.

-- Frans
3D Gamers admin, http://www.3dgamers.com/

-- Frans

12. Re: Halloween Oct 31, 2002, 13:51 PHeeNIxx

Yeah, I was wondering about the logo also!

11. No subject Oct 31, 2002, 13:49 Asmodeos

it's halloween?

Is it juat me or does that russian launchpad look mysteriously like an alien egg hatching...
This comment was edited on Oct 31, 13:50.

10. Halloween Oct 31, 2002, 13:40 indiv

9. Re: No subject Oct 31, 2002, 13:33 Dexter

Is it really that hard to do your own search if you're a) that interested in the original story and b) getting your news from (and posting your complaints to) a free public website?

8. No subject Oct 31, 2002, 13:26 wasrad

is it really that hard to post a link to the story that is being followed up?

If it is, then, hmmm, maybe you shouldnt be posting news on a public website?

7. Call me gullible... Oct 31, 2002, 13:04 Pete

But is the case of the 40,000 coat hangers true? Because it sounds way too funy not to be true.

Doin' it Big

6. Nooo! Oct 31, 2002, 12:23 Weas

Go for the bribe Blue! Go for the bribe!

Happy Halloween y'all!

"Cut the horseshit, son. I've got their disciplinary files right here. Who dropped a whole truckload of fizzies into the swim meet? Who delivered the medical school cadavers to the alumni dinner? Every Halloween, the trees are filled with underwear. Every spring, the toilets explode."

-Dean Vernon Wormer, Animal House

5. Re: Boo! Oct 31, 2002, 11:01 Morgan19

Would've been funnier if the title said "Out of the Boo."

m19

4. Re: Way to go Blue. Oct 31, 2002, 10:58 V

Lesson 1: If you get a ticket, you call in, plead not-guilty over the phone and schedule a court date. Always. The worst that can happen is you come in, judge is an ass and just makes you pay the regular fine.

Lesson 2: When you show up, you ask to talk to the prosecutor (ask for private prosecutor conference).

There you tell them that you are really sorry and that you would appreciate prosecutor's help. What they will do 99% of the time is reduce your charge to a lesser one (usually a non-driving-violation), in exchange for about 1.5x higher fine and $xx court fee.

You will get lesser amount of DMV points which will save you money in the long run on insurance as well as keep you safe(r) from license suspensions.

If worst comes to worst you could always argue your case - remember, you are innocent until proven guilty, so it's on them to prove you actually were going faster than you were.

Oh, the U.S. legal system...

--
http://www.gameaholic.com/

3. Re: Way to go Blue. Oct 31, 2002, 09:57 Alien13z

Good work. The trooper was probably happy because he's getting paid overtime to sit in a courtroom. What town was this in?

Alien13z

2. Re: Way to go Blue. Oct 31, 2002, 09:43  Blue 

So, did you actually tell them your speedometer was broken or did they just come up with that on their own as a way to give you a break?

This was the trooper's suggested guily plea. I wouldn't have the stones to look him in the eye and lie about the speedo... with my luck, I'd pull that, and this update would be coming from my jail cell.

I had a feeling going into this that I would get off on a non-moving violation... I was over the speed limit, but I think the officer was aware I was not racing around like a nut or anything like that.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

1. Way to go Blue. Oct 31, 2002, 09:28 WarPig

So, did you actually tell them your speedometer was broken or did they just come up with that on their own as a way to give you a break?

*** As usual, I could be wrong. But really, what are the odds of that happening twice? ***

GO SEAHAWKS!

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo