Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Fellowship of the Ring Demo

Gigex is now offering a demo of Surreal Software's The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. There are no details on what is offered in this sample, but the full version of the game allows player to play to take on the roles of Frodo, Gandalf, and Aragorn. This is the first installment in the series of games based on the original J.R.R. Tolkien novels, rather than the movies inspired by them. The demo is a 132 MB download.

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Bullshit demo install. Oct 30, 2002, 08:30 me

I cant even play the demo. Every time i try to install it, my firewall starts to send me port violations. Then the demo install hangs there trying to access something on the outside. Anyone have any ideas. I figured since i FUCKING DOWNLOADED A 132 MEG FILE, it should be enough....

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: No subject Oct 30, 2002, 08:28 me

I cant even play the demo. Every time i try to install it, my firewall starts to send me port violations. Then the demo install hangs there trying to access something on the outside. Anyone have any ideas. I figured since i FUCKING DOWNLOADED A 132 MEG FILE, it should be enough....

39. Re: ARGH Oct 28, 2002, 15:58 vacs

Ray, was right, I now tried the full version of this game and after leaving the first village (after which you will directly control Aragorn in the demo) you will continue your journey to a second village where one can find that Baggins woman which one needs to fulfill the sub-quest.

Surreal could have removed that sub-quest from the demo so no one will try for hours finding her when she's not at all in the demo. Well, I guess no one will play that demo for hours anyway...

38. TEXTURES Oct 28, 2002, 05:17 WYSIWYG

i have a GF4 ti4400 and i too had those awfull textures. to solve this the only solution i found was to use older drivers like 30.38 (i think) but older drivers suck as you know. what the hell. the game sucks too (i have played the full version ;)) keep your new drivers and ignore the game. not bad music though

37. Pop-N-Fresh Oct 28, 2002, 02:41 bigp3rm

I just love it when people try to flame and they have no idea what they are talking about. Maybe they should stfu. Yes that would do.. To funny...

I'm waiting in line again to see Chris Johnson head pop out again. Is he cleaning off his head for the next rount? He's hasn't shown here for a bit.

Thanks for the laugh man..

If anyone wants I have an extra ticket for sale.

36. Re: Forgive Me... Oct 27, 2002, 17:36 Chance

Hey Paranoid, I get pretty grouchy with lack of sleep too (like all school year -- I teach). I know how that goes... besides you weren't the one that started with the "potty mouth" Hopefully it will be a lesson in doing your research and basic politeness for someone...

35. Re: ARGH Oct 27, 2002, 13:09 Ray Marden

I did not, but I was under the impression that they had cut out quite a bit (looking at screenshots, you see that the Munchkin has at least a few more quests in the first city in the retail game) and that you would have to travel a bit to find her.

Too lazy to download and install the demo again :D,
Ray

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just say no to anonymous posting registered trolls!
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
Tumor marker up to 500 and allergic reactions to the one drug that is good at fighting pancreatic cancer. Damn.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

34. Re: ARGH Oct 27, 2002, 13:00 vacs

Can't find her neither... Surreal probably forget to add her in the demo. If it wasn't for the either basic adventuring or basic fighting and for the stiff models and animations, one could probably enjoy this game. oh, I forgot some graphic glitches like squared sky with the 41.03.

Waiting for the LOTR Special Extended DVD Edition in 2 weeks...

33. ARGH Oct 27, 2002, 11:03 Ryvar

Anyone manage to find that blasted Sackville-Baggins woman? Where is she?

32. Forgive Me... Oct 27, 2002, 10:21 Paranoid Jack

It was late(that's my excuse for all the punctuation & the grammar errors. Thou I don't need no stinkin' grammar no how)... I haven't been sleeping a lot for the past week(put together a haunted Halloween forest in my garage for my daughters and their party)... And what he said was not very nice(I have rarely talked out my ass, it's very difficult to do, I think I forgot how).

I am a very honest straight forward kind of guy and I hate being called a liar... Usually a mellow person. So forgive me, all. Now it's time for me to go back to sleep...

Edit: A few words came out the wrong end and had to be put back in the right place.
This comment was edited on Oct 27, 10:23.

31. Re: Which one is it? Oct 27, 2002, 08:11 Dr.Del

ouch!

poor Chris Johnson... I almost feel sorry for the kid.

remember to turn your clocks back 1 hour!

- Dr. Del
http://www.SuperBlog.com
AMD 2200+, ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, 512 RAM, 19" ViewSonic LCD flat panel, 140 G WD HDD 8meg cache, WinXP Pro SP1

- DrDel

30. Re: Which one is it? Oct 27, 2002, 02:28 Ray Marden

Wow, you two are very nice to each other.

While I certainly cannot keep track of all the games that are being worked on :D, there is an entry for a Xbox version of The Two Towers:

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/products/product.asp?pf_id=231121

Interestingly enough, there is an entry for a Gamecube version, too:
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/products/product.asp?pf_id=231139

I am not sure if these are (both?) mistakes or if these just have not been approved by the P.R. gods yet...

Noting that neither Gamestop nor EA make mention of them,
Ray

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just say no to anonymous posting registered trolls!
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
Tumor marker up to 500 and allergic reactions to the one drug that is good at fighting pancreatic cancer. Damn.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

29. Step Right Up... Oct 27, 2002, 01:37 Paranoid Jack

...see the man with his head up his ass. (Doofus a.k.a. Chris Johnson.) Watch as I help him pull his foot out of his mouth and his head out of his bung-hole... stand back kiddies this could get messy.

Mr. Cranial Rectum Inversion said "Hmmm seeing how Two Towers is only available and/or developed for PS2 (and GBA), could it be you're talking out of your ass? Why yes! Yes it can!" Now I could be wrong... but sounds like you are "talking out of your ass?". Forgive me but it is not available for purchaser on the X-box yet but the demo is playable on the store display.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOTR TWO TOWERS XB
Pre-Order: Ships on 12/10/2002

$49.99

Publisher: ELECTRONIC ARTS
ESRB: N/A
Platform: XBox
Category: Action Adventure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And just incase your head did not pop all the way out for you to read this... I say again it is on X-box... a demo in the store now, but still on X-box... you can go back to sleep now, Doofus.

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 01:49.

28. Re: Which one is it? Oct 27, 2002, 01:29  Chris Johnson 

>>"Of the two games out now for the LoTR... I think "The Two Towers" (console only, at this time) game looks much better. I almost wish I had an X-box to play it. "

Hmmm seeing how Two Towers is only available and/or developed for PS2 (and GBA), could it be you're talking out of your ass? Why yes! Yes it can!

27. Re: Which one is it? Oct 27, 2002, 01:12 Paranoid Jack

Of the two games out now for the LoTR... I think "The Two Towers" (console only, at this time) game looks much better. I almost wish I had an X-box to play it.

I was in Funcoland on the mall and it looked sweet on the X-box. Action packed hack & slash from the little bit I saw. Shame is it won't be out on PC (that I know of).

26. ATI prob? Oct 26, 2002, 22:35 Blackglass

This just freezes my PC within seconds of starting it up, in the middle of Gandalfs speech. Any other ATI users suffering probs?

My spec

ATI 9700 pro
640 MB RDRAM
Intel D850GB
P4 1.7
SB Live 5.1

After reading some of the comments about this demo I dont want to spend a whole lot of time messing around trying to get it to work, I just want to know if its the game (quite possibly) or ATI (hope not)

Blackglass

{edit: spelling and incoherence may be due to a mixture of alcohol, cannabis and it being 3:00 am.... sorry }

This comment was edited on Oct 26, 22:40.

25. Re: PC vs Console Oct 26, 2002, 22:26 Sho

Surreal Software ... well, Drakan was a wonderful game.

24. Finished the demo Oct 26, 2002, 22:05 Ant

Decent demo. I really hate the camera view in this demo. It's buggy. Once my computer frozed. Another time, the game crashed while fighting.

Will this game haev multiplayer? I enjoyed the catacombs level.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

23. Re: Crazy graphics glitches Oct 26, 2002, 21:10 scratz

I had the same error. A quick search on their forums illustrated the problem isn't uncommon, and some kind soul pointed out that the latest Detanator drivers leaked this week (41.03) fixed it. I installed those, and the problem went away. My machine is an Athlon 2000+ with a GeForce 3. I found the drivers on http://www.guru3d.com, though I'm sure they're mirrored all over the place. Haven't seen a post here about them yet, though I may have missed.

I agree with everyone's synopsis so far. This isn't a great game. But I entertained myself for about half an hour with it. I have no desire to go get the full version. Now, if one can judge by the trailers, the Two Towers game just may be a very different story....

22. Re: GF3 driver Oct 26, 2002, 21:02 DooM

> If you are going to develop a game based on a movie.
> would it not be logical to have the game the same
> scale of the movie?

The game is not based on the movie, its based on the book.
But the question is still valid. "Would it not be logical to have the game the scale of the book(s)?"

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo