Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I asked furn to look at what seemed to be a problem with the 'Previous 2 days' link offered at the bottom of this and other news pages here that facilitate scrolling back through older news posts, since it became apparent over time that these links suffered from some sort of problem that caused them to operate quite slowly at times. It turns out there was indeed a way of addressing this, and now that furn has tweaked it, in addition to those links no longer requiring a coffee break between being clicked and displaying the resulting page, the overall CPU load here has dropped to the point where other scripted elements that were not noticeably laggy to start with are now that much zippier, as things like archive searches whip along much more quickly now. Viva blammo!

Links of the Day: Anti-telemarketing EGBG counterscript. Thanks Bostich.
Lowtax vs the Nigerians on Something Awful. Thanks shafty. Contains adult language.
Stories of the Day: Ka-POW! goes the pumpkin. Thanks devilbunny.
Interview with a snack addict. Thanks Otto Eyebiter.
Posting dad's poem forces Egyptian into exile. Thanks Mike Martinez. There once was a man from Egypt... nah, better not risk it.
Weird Science: Southwest Alaskans say bird is the size of a small plane. Thanks brother19.
Wild Science: Downloading the Mind. Thanks shafty.
Track down who gave you flu. Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Blammo Oct 24, 2002, 13:06 MindTrigger

I think Blammo is a pretty bad ass CMS (Content Management System). It is cleary customized for Blues site, but I've always been surprised that they haven't made a more generic CMS version of Blammo and put it out for people to buy.

Someone mentioned they thought the home page was HTML and not dynamic content. I remember reading quite a while ago that the site was nearly all database driven, dynamic content since the last big upgrade. Pretty damn cool. I build apps in ColdFusion, so I have a good idea of how much work was put in. What we see is the tip of the iceberg. I can't even begin to imagine the Admin back-end for this site, or all the error checking code put into the user interactive parts of the site. There must be a TON of admin screens to work with.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Downloading the Mind Oct 23, 2002, 09:35  Blue 

Oh yeah, wouldn't that be great. Kind of like being a quadriplegic who couldn't sleep - possibly a deaf and blind quadriplegic who couldn't do anything but think and go insane.

And frag like a maniac without even using the mouse!

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

34. Re: Downloading the Mind Oct 23, 2002, 09:32 WarPig

And I think that consciousness would transfer with the brain image.

Oh yeah, wouldn't that be great. Kind of like being a quadriplegic who couldn't sleep - possibly a deaf and blind quadriplegic who couldn't do anything but think and go insane.

*** As usual, I could be wrong. But really, what are the odds of that happening twice? ***

GO SEAHAWKS!

33. Re: Downloading the Mind Oct 23, 2002, 04:27 /dev/null

As I see it, we're just meat machines, reacting to stimuli just as a computer does with input. Why couldn't something like that produce immortalilty?

And I think that consciousness would transfer with the brain image. What more is consciousness based upon?

...I'd just like to know why anyone would want it. Think of Q. heh

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 04:28.

32. Re: Downloading the Mind Oct 23, 2002, 00:28 Ray Marden

Completely avoiding the really deep discussion :), I think that a lot of it relates to how you perceive reality and/or consciousness. At what point does the physical body end and the conscsious person begin? At what point do the million of autonomous processes form an intelligent entity?

At the very least, it is interesting to think about.

Wondering if it is Friday yet,
Ray

Edit: for + m = form
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just say no to anonymous posting registered trolls!
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
So, your all-loving god sends me to hell and makes me suffer if I do not recgonize its kindness?
This comment was edited on Oct 23, 00:35.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

31. Downloading the Mind Oct 22, 2002, 23:40 indiv

From the "Downloading the Mind" article:

We'd all like to live forever, but biology won't cooperate. So here's a modest proposal. Why don't we scan our most essential feature - our mind - digitize it, and transfer it to a computer? The result could be a kind of digital immortality. It would also release us from the limitations of our bodies, and allow us, paradoxically, to fulfill even more of our human potential, in a computer.

I don't really get this. I think it's a pretty cool idea, but the problem is that when you transfer your brain into a computer, it's no longer you. You remain living outside of the computer--your consciousness doesn't transfer with the image of your brain.

Well, I guess it's more along the lines of the "immortality" you get by having children. Something that is a part of you lives on afterwards. I find the idea of transferring a brain image into a computer quite interesting, but I wouldn't look at it as a sort of immortality. It wouldn't even really be you--it'd be more like an offspring. After all, you're defined not only by your past experiences and memories, memories that the computer image would retain (in theory), but also by the present (and future). Your computer image would diverge from being you the instant the transfer was complete, and a few years later you'd probably be completely different from your computer counterpart.

Anyway, I find the idea quite fascinating and think that some day it will be possible, after we advance beyond the current finite, discrete model of computing.

But I really just wanted to rant, I suppose.

30. Re: I've always wondered about the slowness Oct 22, 2002, 23:23 indiv

Another way I've seen people do it is create normal static HTML files as the output of PERL scripts that query a database. This is semi-dynamic but works well too.

Blue has mentioned before (I think... maybe I'm just making it up) that the main page is static and generated using the same concept you describe above. It makes more sense for a site like Blue's News to do this because he only updates a few times a day. It'd be a complete waste of resources to have the main page dynamically generated for each hit.

29. Re: Track down who gave you flu Oct 22, 2002, 23:00 Ray Marden

Unfortunately, this is not anything "new."

People do a lot of stupid things to hurt each other, but there have been a number of other documented cases detailing similar actions. There have even been cases of parents infecting their own children...

Just shaking my head as I think about it,
Ray

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just say no to anonymous posting registered trolls!
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
So, your all-loving god sends me to hell and makes me suffer if I do not recgonize its kindness?

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

28. Re: Technical glitches Oct 22, 2002, 20:30  Xymph 

While on the subject of glitches, I can no longer send news from my home email address because your server spam-blocks me- not sure why. Here's what I get:
3D Gamers handles mail for the bluesnews.com domain. Please email me (fpv@3dgamers.com) the entire bounce message with all headers (if you have another address to send it from, otherwise it'll bounce as well of course - in that case you may have to post at least your domain here, if you don't like to post your full email address), then I'll look into it.

-- Frans
3D Gamers admin, http://www.3dgamers.com/
This comment was edited on Oct 22, 20:35.

-- Frans

27. Technical glitches Oct 22, 2002, 20:06 Jim

Thanks for clearing up the slow archives Blue, that one always drove me nutty.

While on the subject of glitches, I can no longer send news from my home email address because your server spam-blocks me- not sure why. Here's what I get:

This message could not be delivered to the following recipients:

<news@bluesnews.com>:

Connected to 12.158.169.244 but sender was rejected.
Remote host said: 571 5.0.0 No More Unsolicited Bulk Email From You!

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 20:07.

Jim

26. Snack addict Oct 22, 2002, 19:42 WarPig

What's your favorite discovery?

Tim's Cascade Style Hot Jalapeno chips from the Pacific Northwest. The hottest chips I've ever had.

These are indeed the greatest potato chips ever made (although I do think the Cajun chips are at least as hot, maybe hotter). I'm a good 15 to 20 pounds overweight and at least half of those pounds are due to Tim's Cascade Style chips.

*** As usual, I could be wrong. But really, what are the odds of that happening twice? ***

GO SEAHAWKS!

25. Re: Ka-Pow Oct 22, 2002, 17:59 Inspired Chaos

Original you say?:0<br>
<a href="http://www.worldchampionshippunkinchunkin.com">"Punkin Chunkin" </a> has been going on since 1986. The first Air Cannons appeared about 1994, and despite the hundreds of thousands of dollars thrown at the problem no one has succeeded in throwing an intact pumpkin over a mile. I hope I'll see him Millsboro Deleware the first weekend in November at the World Championships, claims such as his require some spectacular proof.

24. Re: I've always wondered about the slown Oct 22, 2002, 16:22 Hazard

could you show me some concrete info on the supposed MySQL performance advantage over postgresql

Well, it's not guaranteed to be objective but there's a pretty well-written comparison between MySQL and PostgreSQL on the MySQL site at:

http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_Introduction.html#Compare_PostgreSQL

Even though the developers of MySQL are obviously biased, they seem to make an afford to be objective.

In case you only want the raw numbers, here's a direct link to the benchmarking results (also linked on the comparison page):

http://www.mysql.com/information/benchmarks.html

Fully automatic backups with Ocster Backup Pro 3
http://www.ocster.com

23. Re: I've always wondered about the slown Oct 22, 2002, 15:52 zaq

could you show me some concrete info on the supposed MySQL performance advantage over postgresql

22. Re: I've always wondered about the slown Oct 22, 2002, 15:08 Belly Flop

You can also download the Oracle 9i database (a 1 user license) from the Oracle web site for free (if you have ADSL of course) if you want to check it out. Any more licenses will cost you though. Why mess with the rest if you can play with the best?

21. Re: I've always wondered about the slown Oct 22, 2002, 14:35 snide

thanks for all the info guys. looks like i need to do some more research. I'd like to use mySQL just cuz i'm comfortable with it, but I've been hearing too many people rave about postgre's performance on large traffic sites to not at least look into it.

dave snider
comicvine.com

20. Re: I've always wondered about the slown Oct 22, 2002, 14:26 Hazard

A great first example, is that MySQL can't do transactions, and PostgreSQL can.

MySQL supports transactions, in its most recent version. See my other post. MySQL's capabilites have come a long way during the last year.

19. Re: I've always wondered about the slown Oct 22, 2002, 14:23 Hazard

I've hear all kinds of great stuff about postgreSQL but don't know why it's better.

Well, better is a relative term and depends on your needs. MySQL is a lot faster than PostgreSQL but does not offer as many features. At least up until recently. From what I've seen the new MySQL 4.0 is quite a bit more advanced and offers lots of stuff that was previously missing. Like proper transaction support, for example.

My advice is to take a look at MySQL first and see wether it provides the stuff you need. If it does, go fot it as it has an enormous performance advantage compared with PostgreSQL. If you need more advanced features you'll (obviously) have to use something else and in that case PostgreSQL is probably not a bad choice.

18. Re: I've always wondered about the slown Oct 22, 2002, 14:17 zaq

a good question snide,

A great first example, is that MySQL can't do transactions, and PostgreSQL can.

This is a basic feature in most commercial grade databases, and is very important for maintaining DB integrity. Do a search on "Database Transactions" to learn about them.

There are probably a few other features a long this line that postgresql has, and MySQL doesn't.

So Why is MySQL so widely used you asked?
Up until recently MySQL was the only FREE (GPL) database of it's kind available. PostgreSQL has been around for a long time, but it's only FREE as of not too long ago, so it isn't as widely used now because of that fact.

Performance wise it's a tough call.. and I can't give you an honest answer about which is faster, because I haven't tested it out. But I can tell you we get a fair amount of traffic (15 million hits a month on our main webserver), and so far we've had no performance problems.

--hope that clears things up

17. Re: Track down who gave you flu Oct 22, 2002, 13:57 The Pyro

Injecting your former girlfriend with HIV? That's just sick. Talk about evil...

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo