Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Death at an Internet Cafe

Man dies after playing computer games non-stop on smh.com.au (thanks Lord ALF) is the news that "A 24-year-old South Korean man died after playing computer games nonstop for 86 hours" in an internet cafe. The story, which is eerily similar to a story from last year about another Korean internet cafe patron dying after an extended play session, says the "jobless" man had no decent sleep or meals for the duration of his three-plus day gaming marathon, and word is that an initial investigation has ruled out foul play. As noted in the story, online gaming and internet cafes are remarkably popular in Korea, which is the subject of South Korea's Real Rage for Virtual Games, a NY Times (registration required) article (thanks James Harrison).

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Trying too hard! Oct 15, 2002, 17:01 teh mane mahn

I fail to see the humor in this man's death.

"don't blame video games for this one... this guy is a l053R"

I don't understand why this person is a degenerate compared to the likes of you. Please elaborate.

-----

"My mountain teacher speaks, pleased at this brief insight, telling me that every person of every race and every partaker of every outlook has a way that is judged by that person as right."

"Suddenly I see the obvious, which for so long has eluded me. Lasting fulfillment can only come from setting goals that do not lose their luster with time. I must perceive and select changeless values to serve as the basis for my personal goals."

_____

The possible pain, suffering and sacrifice of discovery are by no means an excuse to remain ignorant.

The bartering of things sought earned are by a means which only little men can abide by and hope to achieve.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: No subject Oct 12, 2002, 00:18 Walter

Seriously people, has anyone been playing hitman 2? This guy could easily have just been another of 47's targets. I mean that guy is gooooood. "No foul play" indeed...

27. No subject Oct 10, 2002, 09:59 Thorn Darksword

He was probably playing some MMORPG. Probably Lineage. That game is huge over there.

26. Amatuers Pffft! Oct 10, 2002, 09:07 BiggusDickuss

Where was his intravenous drip ffs!
If you can't derive enough nutrition from ciggies and coffee/coke to last 3day's you shouldn't be allowed in!
Giving us all a bad name damnit. Still not as bad as driving a car fast while pissed. If you can't walk home then you mose well drive I say

25. Whatta dumbass Oct 10, 2002, 08:32 ColonFiller

I at least hope he paid for his time there.

24. err Oct 10, 2002, 04:56 garry

I think it was probably suicide.. and what a great way to go

-
http://www.garry.tv/

23. Re: Going even further... Oct 10, 2002, 00:18 Luka

>>Neither me or my uncles ever got into street fights like >>the NY Times reference suggests as such a common place >>thing among gamers. I tend to take it kind of personally

I believe this is a Korean-thing. There was a story a number of months back about a Lineage related brawl.. after some player had gotten killed in the game. Still, I'm sure its an isolated thing. As usual, the media just runs with it.

22. Re: Going even further... Oct 9, 2002, 23:27 Pete

Point taken

*both original going even further... and its reply

This comment was edited on Oct 9, 23:28.

Doin' it Big

21. Re: Going even further... Oct 9, 2002, 22:26 DigitalSin

The thing is, look how many people die while at or coming home from raves, bars, and the like. Most are younger people. A couple people die in korea probably at some shady net cafe and the whole gaming community is labeled a reclusive, mentally fragile lot. If I had children I'd much rather they be addicted to such a harmless thing as PC gaming as opposed to raving or general partying. Sure they might be more social at raves and parties, but they stand a much higher risk of getting in an alcohol related vehicular accident or getting shot by a drug dealer.

I don't know, I just grew up playing games starting with the Atari 2600 and Intellivision. I often miss the time I spent playing with my uncles and having such good times figuring out secrents to Mario Bros. and MT's Punch Out on the NES. That was social, fun, and innocent. Neither me or my uncles ever got into street fights like the NY Times reference suggests as such a common place thing among gamers. I tend to take it kind of personally.

====================
You wouldn't care what people thought of you if you realized how seldom they do

20. No subject Oct 9, 2002, 20:35 Xombie

I wonder if he would go to Valhalla. He did, after all, technically die in battle.
Just a thought.

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie

19. Going even further... Oct 9, 2002, 19:54 Lord ALF

Okay, all that being said I pointed this discussion to a friend of mine to read (the guy that actually pointed me to the article). In general he got a kick out of our comments then stated he was surprised that there was such a lack of sympathy.

Gamers being a very sarcastic, ‘tongue-in-cheek’ lot I sent him the following response:

“I think it’s more a sense of ‘defensiveness’ than lack of sympathy. The media has a tendency to paint gamers as a reclusive, introverted, self-centered type of person who will snap at any moment. So gamers tend to take a cynic view to such news just waiting for the media to get a hold of it and sensationalize the whole thing.”

Now for the most part I think that’s true then I thought…Ironically, we play right into the media’s hands by acting that way. Personally I do feel sympathy that a fellow gamer should meet his demise on the floor of a public bathroom, yet there is a little elation in me towards the fact that, as already stated, he died doing something he enjoyed; or at least it seemed that way.

Anyhoo… just thought I’d share that with you.

best,
-ALF

~~ and then the lord said, "BOOYA!" ~~

18. Re: More stupid disinformation Oct 9, 2002, 19:37 Tony!!!

That is so funny!! And shame on me for not being depressed every second of my life for every second somebody dies!

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

17. Re: More stupid disinformation Oct 9, 2002, 18:17 DigitalSin

I agree 100% with you ALF. You'd expect that people who are *supposed* to be educated, like psychiatrists, would understand that accurate sampling is required before making such a bold association between violence and something inherently passive.

Personally I think this guy had some pre-existing medical condition and probably was on something that, coupled with fatigue, caused a heart attack. Of course I'm no doctor, but obviously a healthy person playing a game for even a week non-stop shouldn't kill over dead. Unless they "lagged to death". Sorry, had to do it

====================

16. Re: More stupid disinformation Oct 9, 2002, 18:02 Lord ALF

It's always the minority that's picked out to represent the masses. You get one weirdo (for a lack of a better word) playing games and everyone wants to assume that all gamers are like him.

Not meaning this guy was weird or anything... just making a point. Society dictates the norm even though the source they pull the examples from is usually tainted.

This comment was edited on Oct 9, 18:03.

best,
-ALF

15. Games vs. Death Oct 9, 2002, 17:58 Lord ALF

This begs a couple of questions:

1. What game was he playing? I haven’t played anything lately that would keep my attention for 86 hours straight (although BF1942 comes close).
2. Was he on anything or did he collapse of exhaustion with no one around to seek medical assistance for him in a timely manner?
3. Was he in a high stakes deathmatch with the dark lord himself? (sorry I couldn't resist)

best,
-ALF

14. More stupid disinformation Oct 9, 2002, 17:58 DigitalSin

From the referenced NY Times article:

-----------
Game players don't have normal social relationships anymore," said Kim Hyun Soo, a 36-year-old psychiatrist who is chairman of the Net Addiction Treatment Center, one of many groups that have sprung up to cope with Internet game addiction. "Young people are losing the ability to relate to others, except through games. People who become addicted are prone to violence, even when they are not playing.

"They clash in the games, and then they meet later and fight face to face."
---------

What utter BS. I'm a pretty devoted gamer and play everything from UO to GTA 3. I'm probably the least violent person you'd ever meet. It's ridiculous associations like this that get game companies sued and threaten our product availability as consumers.

====================

13. No subject Oct 9, 2002, 17:35 Pete

How is his death funny?

Shame on you people for making fun of this situation. Shame I say. Bah, this is probably falling on deaf ears.

Doin' it Big

12. He pulled an Elvis... Oct 9, 2002, 17:20 Paranoid Jack

.. had to be drugs involved. You don't go for 86 hours then die on the toilet without help. It had little to do with the game thou it may have become the obsession that drove him on.

"The man collapsed in front of the counter early yesterday but soon regained consciousness. He then went to the toilet where he later was found dead, the police officer said."

I bet he was playing Starcraft... since millions of Koreans own it. According to some media(reads:Blizzard propaganda)story from the past. Boy, I sure hope the parents don't file suit against the game company. Since it had to be the game that killed him not the substance he was cranked on...

This comment was edited on Oct 9, 17:26.

11. Re: No subject Oct 9, 2002, 17:02 Razor6

He sounds like quite a DIEhard gamer.

10. No subject Oct 9, 2002, 16:17 nimski

Last words:

OMFG! He's using a wall hack!

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo