Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Flashpoint GotY Edition

Codemasters Launches Operation Flashpoint Game of the Year Edition is the press release announcing plans for a Game of the Year Edition of Operation: Flashpoint, Bohemia Interactive's military shooter. Here's a bit on what this will entail:

UK-based publishing giant, Codemasters, will launch the ultimate Operation Flashpoint compendium pack this autumn for PC gamers. It brings together the award winning original game enhanced with all the official upgrades, expansions and additional campaigns. The compendium will be launched as Operation Flashpoint: Game of the Year Edition and is ideally suited for new Flashpoint recruits. It brings together the complete series, including the original Operation: Flashpoint, which has sold over one million copies.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: No subject Aug 29, 2002, 13:53 snide

i actually support the repackaging. i think anytime a game comes out with an expansion they should offer a seperate package of the game which includes the original and the expansion. now ill prolly buy the game.

dave snider
comicvine.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: No subject Aug 29, 2002, 09:47 Squirmer

How is it not a good idea? Instead of people buying the original game, the Red Hammer expansion, and the Resitance expansion, they now just have to buy this pack, which will save them about 30 pounds as well. A bad idea to re-package? Hardly. My point is that this is not milking the game like Half-Life or The Sims has been milked.

OFP is a very popular game, so it wouldn't make sense NOT to release a combination of the original game and the expansions. Just because YOU didn't like it doesn't mean other people won't buy it.

20. Re: No subject Aug 29, 2002, 08:51 Cicatrix

Uhh, #17... my point was that just because there is a lot of content does not mean a repackage is a good idea. I clearly understood what you are/were talking about, and I'm quite sure I know what it is I am saying. Do you?

19. Re: Have they fixed the annoying... Aug 29, 2002, 04:50 SamJ

I think it was actually a problem with the creative sound drivers (or some combo of creative drivers and the way flashpoint used em). Anyway, it's been fixed for a while at least for me (sblive with the latest drivers).

SJ

18. Have they fixed the annoying... Aug 29, 2002, 01:40 Paranoid Jack

...sound effects? You know where you're hiding in the bush and it sounds like the enemy is right near you. So you crawl around on your belly looking for them in the direction of their footsteps. You come to the edge of a hill and notice that they are actually a half of a mile away.

Has that been fixed? Because I loved the game until the poor sound effects started to grate on my nerves.

17. Re: No subject Aug 29, 2002, 00:38 Squirmer

ROFL, #15, the fact that you just compared Op Flashpoint to Daikatana shows you have no idea what either you or I are talking about. That comment was in response to poeple saying Codemasters was milking the game -- I pointed out how this pack is such good value to people who don't yet have it and all the expansions and patches make this pack very convenient for them. Don't respond if you don't know what I'm talking about please.

The second part of my post dicussed how good or bad OFP is, which you apparently have no reply to.
This comment was edited on Aug 29, 00:40.

16. No subject Aug 29, 2002, 00:26 Shai

I ran into ~3 scripting bugs in the original that forced me to restart the level. No big deal.

And the current version (1.46) has new netcode; plus Resistance has better graphics - turn up the texture detail to maximum. It looks pretty good to me. It might not look like the new UT, but you can't see 2 miles away in that game either.

15. Re: No subject Aug 28, 2002, 21:30 Cicatrix

Fanboy's die hard, eh?

Here's 100 missions for Daikatana. Let's package it into a GoTY.

14. Re: No subject Aug 28, 2002, 19:23 Squirmer

Geez, some people are hard to please. Do you realise there are over 100 missions in this edition? How's that for value, especially when you consider how big OFP's missions are. Milking the game!??!?! HA! If any game is worthy of a GOTY version, this is. Just look at all the patches that are still coming out -- Bohemia Interactive must be one of the most supportive developers out there.

The game does come with bugs, but any game this big is bound to. Even BF 1942 is bug-ridden. Oh, and OFP was not trying to be like BF 1942. BF is a multiplayer game, while OFP has an excellent (actually, make that 3 excellent) single player campaigns, as well as multiplayer. You want insane fun and nothing more, by all means go for BF 1942, but if you want a very realistic single player game with incredible atmosphere you can't go past OFP. And this GOTY pack is great value.

13. Re: No subject Aug 28, 2002, 18:56 Quboid

Prehaps I was a bit harsh - Op-FP certainly isnt a bad game. Indeed it was a geniune contendor for game of the year and, despite it's limitations, one of the most impressive games ever in it's own way. No game has matched the first third of the campaign for top, top notch authentic warfare - a truely great mech-infantry sim.

I certianly don't think game greatness == graphic greatness!

The main problem is the bugs - the 1.00 release was a disgrace and the US release 1.20 was, while much better, still shameful. Also the netcode was bad for lag and terrible for actual connecting and starting a game, which ultimately killed it for me. That and the graphics, while not essential, are still a nice bonus and most of the time Op-FP fell well short of the mark (I say most, as on occassion the graphics were top notch). Basically it was a great game that did it's damnest to annoy me and put me off. And it eventually succeeded.

Cheers,
Quboid

War isn't about who's right, its about who's left.

- Quboid

12. Re: No Subject Aug 28, 2002, 18:08 Cicatrix

I don't really care about the graphics in a game too much. They don't have to be the latest and greatest, but they do have to not be horrid to look at. Something just really bothers me about the way people look in that game, and the way they move. I just can't stand to look at it for very long. I could get over that, but it wouldn't matter due to all of the other things it does to torture me while I play it

11. Totally agree Aug 28, 2002, 17:32 MammaPJ

I totally agree; this is the first game to make me feel I was really in a war.

10. Re: No subject Aug 28, 2002, 17:09 Jedi Master

Damn, people are fricking spoiled.

OFP was NEVER about the graphics, and those who are looking for that can kindly look elsewhere. The creation of an FPS world multiple MILES in length in each direction that you can fly or drive or walk around in was the crowning achievement of this game, among others.

What if the game was released Dec 25? Does that mean the GOTY edition has to come out within 6 days of the initial release???
Red Hammer was a $10 expansion with a whole new campaign. How can you beat that??? Multiple single and multiplayer missions, vehicles, and weapons were released for FREE. Resistance added a new island and improved graphics with the campaign as well as a great storyline. Giving all that in a single package for latecomers is a great deal.
Of course it's not perfect--no game is. The helicopter and plane controls are so simplified as to be difficult. The vehicle physics is a little screwed up--it's not that easy to flip a tank, nor do they go sliding sideways thru the grass like a race car at 180mph!

Milking=Half-life series. Milking=The Sims. Milking="Blah blah blah" Tycoon. Milking=OFP???? HAHAHAHAA!

There is a new game coming out from them, it appears to be a modern-day (vs 1985 for OFP and addons) conflict in Timor, but nothing has been said really to date. Keep in mind this was their first release ever.

The Jedi Master

9. Re: Hmmm... Aug 28, 2002, 16:58 Ray Marden

Don't forget Half-Life; there is yet another collection coming out:

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/products/product.asp?pf_id=227535

On an essentially unrelated note, here is another interesting entry for Half-Life:

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/products/product.asp?pf_id=228455

Hoping Turok does ship out today,
Ray

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am thankful for all the cranky folks on Usenet, who keep us humble every single day by reminding us that we suck. -Jeff Green

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

8. Re: No subject Aug 28, 2002, 16:48 ZetaMaiL

you people just don't "get" operation flashpoint, it's not about having mind blowing graphics or any other sparkley things you see in other games...it's just about running around shooting things, stealing vehicles and blowing stuff up, and it's fun.:)

If you get a chance, play a multiplayer CTF game with good ping...it's like a virtual playground filled with vehicles and weapons and things...

7. Re: No subject Aug 28, 2002, 14:57 snide

am i the only one who doesnt enjoy bf1942? i also think it looks like ass.

dave snider
comicvine.com

6. Re: No subject Aug 28, 2002, 14:45 Quboid

Delicately put, but very true. BF1942 looked to be what Op-FP wanted to be, however it's premature to judge... Oh, what the hell, if the netcode improves from the MP demo, it will be what Op-FP wanted to be.

Cheers,
Quboid

War isn't about who's right, its about who's left.

- Quboid

5. Hmmm... Aug 28, 2002, 14:38 anon@127.0.0.1

How many "Game of the Year" awards are there anyway? Seems like just about everything gets its own GOTY edition.

Please do NOT target my IP Address for any DDOS attacks!

I am not a man! I am a free number!

4. Re: No subject Aug 28, 2002, 14:37 Alex Johnson

Ya, they been milking this game for 18months now!!! How can this be the game of the year edition if the game wasnt even released this year originally? Then they had 2 full versions of the same game issued, one as Russian and one as Rebel. Lets hope they are working on a completely new game and not thinking this ole puppy is gonna give any more milk.

"tough titty said the kitty when the milk went dry"
some kitty in america some time ago...

3. Re: No subject Aug 28, 2002, 14:31 Cicatrix

It wants to be good, but it has shitty graphics, animations, cutscenes, and script bugs. No matter how good a game is, when you throw in all of those annoyances it just makes me want to kill myself. I *WANT* to love this game, but everytime I get close it sprays mace in my eyes and knees me in the nuts.
This comment was edited on Aug 28, 14:32.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo